90’s Action movies

PantherProud

So I had this thought earlier and quickly realized how difficult it is.

If you could only choose five 90’s action movies to keep and the rest are erased from history, which five do you choose?

I went with:

Speed
The Rock
The Matrix
Bad Boys
Armageddon

I hate leaving off the likes of Executive Decision, Terminator 2, Die Hard 3, Enemy of the State, Twister, Point Break and Independence Day.

Kind of a sucky decade for Action flics.
Pulp Fiction, Armagedden, Starship Troopers, LA Confidential (that action?) if not then Tank Girl, Hunt for Red October (over Crimson Tide barely).

It was pretty hard to leave off Independence Day and Rush Hour. Fortunately, Mars Attacks isn't generally considered an action movie so I get to keep it.

Looking at some lists, I saw "Hard Boiled" listed high. Anyone ever seen?

Last edited:
Any list without True Lies is just wrong. Maybe the best action movie ever.

Another one that makes this so hard.

I don’t think it was a sucky decade for action movies at all.

This exercise also makes you realize how dominated the decade was by Arnold, Bruce Willis, Keanu Reeves, Will Smith and Nicolas Cage. And more low key by Harrison Ford.

My "just wrong" would be any list without Jackie Chan. Everyone of those Aaaanold, Willis.... action/snark movies influenced by the martial arts movies. Chan delivered those movies to the wider western audience with of the charm and comedy he brought. The choreographed fighting, mixed with comedy and one-liners starts there I think.

T2's wow factors were "Hey, he a good guy now!" and the CGI. When making my list, I considered how the rules of the list would affect my personal enjoyment. T2 does belong on a list of top 5, maybe even all time but I never watch it in isolation. Since all the others would be erased from history, it would make no sense and would lose much of its charm.

The 90s was a decade of sequels. For a ten year span, I was surprised the lack of movies I found original. For the real source of actions, I think the list might better back up a decade or two. Probably more optimally, mid 70s to mid 80s?

Last edited:
Good stuff but as EIB stated it was a tough decade.

Lethal Weapon and Die Hard just missed. Darn. Their sequels could make it.

Those are true action flicks IMO.

"Action" is such a broad genre. T2 has to make any list.

There were previous non-spy action stars (McQueen) and the blaxploitation (Fred Williams, Roundtree, Pam Grier) stars but the first white actor off top of my head, I can think of that did the ultra violent action series character was Charles Bronson (Death Wish 74). I don't recall him as much of a fighter though, if that's to limit the definition of "action" movie character. Would any female qualify before Pam Grier??

First. Blood (Rambo) maybe restarted the genre? Police Story kicked it up a notch. 80s had Stallone, Annold, Russell, Chan, Van Damme, Ford, Norris, Willis, Gibson, Seagal, Eastwood and many fly by nights like Lundgren. Women i can think of, Bridget Nielson and Michelle Yeoh.

Back to the 90s. I was almost in one. Many martial arts movies were made in Hong Kong, they would troll the local hostels for whites to stand in the back drop .I was staying in a hostel at the Chungking Mansion ( you really should google that place, lol) and I had walked in just after they had walked out. One of the guys actually made it into a scene, got to get clocked.

Bringing back good memories PantherProud! Sorry to derail a bit.

Last edited:
80s was mostly pure action, but 90s dominates sci-fi action films

Starship Troopers needs a remake that's more faithful to the source material

In no particular order:
Leon: The Professional
Lethal Weapon 4 (Jet Li was amazing)
Fugitive
The Crow
Braveheart

Honorable Mention:
La Femme Nikita/Point of No Return

Nominee for worst action film of the 90's:
Face -Off

Braveheart
Bad Boys
Speed
Con Air
The Last Boyscout

Also as honorable mention Die Hard with a Vengeance (my personal favorite in the collection), Blade, The Crow, The Professional and Independence Day

Speed (I think this is the only no-doubter)
Independence Day
The Fugitive
The Matrix
GoldenEye

My Top 5:
1. Jurassic Park - Just a great film in general.
2. The Matrix - A slightly weaker film overall than JP but still one hell of a ride.
3. Falling Down - Might be stretching it calling this an action film, but it's one of the most memorable films I've ever seen.
4. The Rock - Honestly haven't seen it in 20 years but I remember it being very good and always seems to come up as one of the best action films.
5. Speed - Just a legendary action film. Keanu killed it in the 90s.
Honorable mentions: Point Break, Mission Impossible, Independence Day, Blade

Action comedies:
1. Men in Black
2. Galaxy Quest
3. Bad Boys
4. Rush Hour
5. Last Action Hero

Sequels:
1. T2
2. The Lost World
3. Die hard 3
4. Lethal Weapon 4
5. Predator 2

My Top 5:
1. Jurassic Park - Just a great film in general.
2. The Matrix - A slightly weaker film overall than JP but still one hell of a ride.
3. Falling Down - Might be stretching it calling this an action film, but it's one of the most memorable films I've ever seen.
4. The Rock - Honestly haven't seen it in 20 years but I remember it being very good and always seems to come up as one of the best action films.
5. Speed - Just a legendary action film. Keanu killed it in the 90s.
Honorable mentions: Point Break, Mission Impossible, Independence Day, Blade
Falling Down, great forgotten flic. It was mentioned, "what's an action flick?" Definition I found:
Action film is a film genre in which the protagonist or protagonists are thrust into a series of events that typically include violence, extended fighting,
That's Falling Down in a nutshell.

Kudos to the Falling Down reference. Every working man in America has felt like doing what he did once or twice. :LOL:

I believe some actually acted...?

it is if you're a lizard bird family. Just minding your own business and these bi-peds just gotta mess. They're not even tasty but what're gonna do, let them keep you caged and pushed around?

Jurassic World 5: the T-Rex learns to say “yippee-ki-yay motherf*****!”

BE332F20-B79C-4D7C-9F47-4A72DD681F82.png

It wouldn't quite make my top 5, but want to throw some love at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Always been a personal favorite, and gives us one of the best movie theme songs of all time.