8th Grade Football

I assume you had CVCA and +15-1/2 pts....
Once peewee football ends. It’s time to learn how to win. 8th grade football should be about winning not subbing.
Teams with this attitude usually have only 35-40 players on varsity because the same 10 players went both ways in 7-8-9th grade, but oh well we were undefeated in junior high!

I don't know, I see what some of the best programs in the state do at the junior high level and how as DVI and DVII schools they have 50-60 players playing at the varsity level.

It would seem to me that it something a lot of programs could maybe pay attention to and learn something from instead of constantly waiting for some magical class to come through.

Classless act by CVCA head coach. CVCA winning and in control of the game 16 -6 with 2 minutes left. They have the ball at their own 45 yard line, Canton South puts in all their backups thinking that the coach from this so called Christian school would put his backups in. Heck no he leaves his starters in and drives down the field to the 5 yard line where this moron of a coach calls hurry up offense, they line up and throw a touchdown pass. Don't get on here saying its South's job to stop their offense, no but to leave your starters in and score a unnecessary touchdown is pure classless. Go Widcats!
Since you were so upset and had questions,,, I think you should have waited after the game to ask the CVCA coach yourself.
I’m sure that he would have been more than happy to answer any of your questions.

As was mentioned, what if the defense get a scoop-and-score with 1:50 left making the score 16-12? Does the losing coach take his "concession" back and use his 1's on the (probable) on-side kick? Or does he continue "conceding" and send his 2's back out for a regular kick-off?
It's junior high football, there are no kickoffs. With 2 minutes left, possession of the ball, and a two score lead there is no possible way for you team to lose the game

Classless act by CVCA head coach. CVCA winning and in control of the game 16 -6 with 2 minutes left. They have the ball at their own 45 yard line, Canton South puts in all their backups thinking that the coach from this so called Christian school would put his backups in. Heck no he leaves his starters in and drives down the field to the 5 yard line where this moron of a coach calls hurry up offense, they line up and throw a touchdown pass. Don't get on here saying its South's job to stop their offense, no but to leave your starters in and score a unnecessary touchdown is pure classless. Go Widcats!
8th grade football? The Yappi bar has been lowered until someone gripes about a Pop Warner League game.

Was surmising the box score of the Tipp City-West Carrollton HS game from this past Friday. Tipp scored on an 8 yd pass in the third quarter to make the score 62-0. In looking at the box score it appears Tipp does not run a pass happy O as they had 350 rushing yards against 100 passing yards and each previous TD was scored on a running play. Should a team throw any pass when up 55-0? Just trying to get the rules straight.

Was surmising the box score of the Tipp City-West Carrollton HS game from this past Friday. Tipp scored on an 8 yd pass in the third quarter to make the score 62-0. In looking at the box score it appears Tipp does not run a pass happy O as they had 350 rushing yards against 100 passing yards and each previous TD was scored on a running play. Should a team throw any pass when up 55-0? Just trying to get the rules straight.
My take has always been in that situation you run on first and second down. If you need to pass to keep the drive going then throw short crossing or out routes. If a player breaks one for a TD then so be it. To me the issue is when you throw 30+ yard passes just because.

That same rule applies in the NFL. (Even with the point differential/points scored tie breakers)
I'll defer to you but I believe I've seen them try the conversion with no time and the outcome not in doubt. Maybe the rule was changed at some point.

I'll defer to you but I believe I've seen them try the conversion with no time and the outcome not in doubt. Maybe the rule was changed at some point.
Was a 2018 rule change.

Saints/Vikings playoff game was the impetus for this change.... Players left the field after Minnesota scored on the final play to make it 29-24... The officials, by rule at that time had to bring the players back onto the field to snap the ball for the try. It took them 8 minutes to get enough back out for that to happen. (spread was 5 1/2 and Minnesota took a knee)

Reactions: y2h
Hmmm.
Nah, I wont comment. I dont want someone to go tell on me and I get a mean text to take it down.

WIth that said......eh....that score wasnt out of reach so........

I was happy because I had the over and that TD made me some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
See you Friday night at Indian Lake……..:

Bro stop crying 😂😂😂

While I do agree it is classless, I would ask are you really surprised? The lack of class in coaching nowadays is at an all-time high. Last week at the HS level "my team" was down 26-0 with under 4 minutes left. Opposing team went for it on 4th down from mid field and threw two more passes even though "we" had already put many JV kids in the game. While this was a bush league move it is still a learning experience. for both. Take the L, move on and get better. Like I told my son, stop whining about what they did and focus on what you can control which is you getting better.
How is it classless? I'm just being honest with you bro I'm not on here trying to start an argument or anything like that just trying to see your point of view because the last time I checked scoring points is a part of the game as long as you at the end of the game shake your opponent's hand and tell him good job and to keep their heads up that is what sportsmanship is about I have never in my life seen people complain about another team scoring points I just don't understand how that is classless it is not my job to stop me it is your job to stop by team in my personal opinion i think it's worse when the other team feels bad for you I'd rather just get blown out an go home instead of a team feeling sorry for me that's just me

How is it classless? I'm just being honest with you bro I'm not on here trying to start an argument or anything like that just trying to see your point of view because the last time I checked scoring points is a part of the game as long as you at the end of the game shake your opponent's hand and tell him good job and to keep their heads up that is what sportsmanship is about I have never in my life seen people complain about another team scoring points I just don't understand how that is classless it is not my job to stop me it is your job to stop by team in my personal opinion i think it's worse when the other team feels bad for you I'd rather just get blown out an go home instead of a team feeling sorry for me that's just me
Semantics argument really, but if another coach actually did pull his starters down 2 scores with 2 minutes left it is a sign the game is essentially over. The classy move would be to pull your starters as well. If I was the opposing coach I would not be bent out of shape about it, but I would not consider that guy a classy guy. I get the whole it is their job to stop me, I often hear this argument but come on. If they have not stopped you for 30 minutes of game play, do you really need to leave your starters in when they have already pulled theirs for the last 2 minutes? In an 8th grade game no less? In life and especially high school sports and lower sometimes because you can, doesn't mean that you should. If you do not get that then I could have Einstein on here arguing for me and the point will still not be made. I will concede that 16-6 is a little different than 35-7 but when the team down puts in the subs that is your sign.

Keep in mind I have on both ends of an whooping. I just control what I can control and try(not always successfully) to do the right thing.

Semantics argument really, but if another coach actually did pull his starters down 2 scores with 2 minutes left it is a sign the game is essentially over. The classy move would be to pull your starters as well. If I was the opposing coach I would not be bent out of shape about it, but I would not consider that guy a classy guy. I get the whole it is their job to stop me, I often hear this argument but come on. If they have not stopped you for 30 minutes of game play, do you really need to leave your starters in when they have already pulled theirs for the last 2 minutes? In an 8th grade game no less? In life and especially high school sports and lower sometimes because you can, doesn't mean that you should. If you do not get that then I could have Einstein on here arguing for me and the point will still not be made. I will concede that 16-6 is a little different than 35-7 but when the team down puts in the subs that is your sign.

Keep in mind I have on both ends of an whooping. I just control what I can control and try(not always successfully) to do the right thing.

This stuff goes on in every sport at every level...one coach tries to play everyone equally and another plays his 5/9/11 best and only subs when the rules demand it. I have seen grown men almost come to blows about how far away the coach has to be when pitching to a 7-year old in coach pitch. I've also seen grown men get into a shoving match at a 6th grade CYO soccer game over playing time rules. I've seen a coach bring in two ringers for Kindergarten flag football because the 6 kids who were put on the team by the rec director weren't good enough.

If it's not in the rules, shrug your shoulders and laugh.

With 3:00 to go in the 4th quarter, I watched a 7th grade team throw a TD pass with the starting offense, up 32-6. Until the next change of possession, no backup had played in the game and the score was 20-0 after the first quarter.

Ego > Development

😂😂😂😂 First off I wasn't even trying to be mean I was just trying to see where you were coming from but now since you want to act like a jack@$$ your point makes absolutely no sense just because the team has not stopped you in 30 minutes of play don't mean some fluke stuff cannot happen you as well as I know football has weird ways of bouncing so literally your whole point makes absolutely no sense I was actually trying to have a civil conversation with you to understand where you coming from because I coach football right now and maybe you could have changed my mind on something to make me seem different but I see most people on here do not know how to have an actual adult conversation without having to get smart with another person smh

😂😂😂😂 First off I wasn't even trying to be mean I was just trying to see where you were coming from but now since you want to act like a jack@$$ your point makes absolutely no sense just because the team has not stopped you in 30 minutes of play don't mean some fluke stuff cannot happen you as well as I know football has weird ways of bouncing so literally your whole point makes absolutely no sense I was actually trying to have a civil conversation with you to understand where you coming from because I coach football right now and maybe you could have changed my mind on something to make me seem different but I see most people on here do not know how to have an actual adult conversation without having to get smart with another person smh
Uhhhhh, I was not being mean so I do apologize if it came off that way. It was certainly not the intent. I bolded one line because I try and coach and act to that line. Not sure where you think I was being a jack*** but whatever. Yes the ball can bounce funny at times, but you are up two scores with 2 minutes in the game and you have the ball AND the other jr. high team has put their subs in. It is not hard to figure out. Pull your starters because you are a class guy(not you specifically but the coach in this situation), or leave your starters in against the 2nd string and run your hurry up offense to pad the score and make yourself feel like an offensive guru. Literally that is the point and it makes perfect sense. As previously mentioned I would concede that 16-6 is a bit of a grey area, so just leave your starters in and run the ball out of your standard formation and offense. No hurry up and no throws. If you are so concerned with the ball taking funny bounces you should not be throwing anyway. The fact that they went to a hurry up alone tells me it is a classless move. Hence the line "just because you can does not mean you should"

p.s. mix in a little punctuation just for fun ;)

The flip side of this argument is, why are you getting worked up about the situation in the first place? The 2nd string was in against starters for a short period of time in a Jr. High ball game. Were they going to get hurt? Was the other team scoring blowing up the score so high it was embarrassing? The coach wanted the 2nd string to get some playing time and they did.

The flip side of this argument is, why are you getting worked up about the situation in the first place? The 2nd string was in against starters for a short period of time in a Jr. High ball game. Were they going to get hurt? Was the other team scoring blowing up the score so high it was embarrassing? The coach wanted the 2nd string to get some playing time and they did.
I concur, to be mad at this particluar situation is way overboard. I hope this parent (or coach) has calmed down since them.

However. much of this thread is very good in terms of what should happen in junior high so it is all not lost.