80s-90s Fostoria Redmen

I did hear of her passing; may she rest in peace. Nicknamed Big Mom.

At the very least, elder Kidwell was Ross Head Coach for a night in 2004 when son served 1 game suspension
That game was against Toledo St. Francis in a game played at Mollenkopf Stadium at Waite. The Little Giants lost that night, but you could tell they were turning the corner from the horror of the previous two seasons.

I think it would have been interesting had Ross played Fostoria when Coach Moore had the keys. It seemed like he got "Moore" out of his players like Redmen to Coach Kidwell

Its hard to believe that not long ago in 1993, that Bellevue who was in division 2 at the time took on Uniontown Lake at BW in berea and got thumped pretty good 21-0. Lake ran some nice toss sweeps and traps for large gains through the Bellevue defense. and then being in division three in 1996 and taking on benedictine with the results not being pretty. taking on a gigantic offensive line lead by the Mruczkowski brothers, and rb walter randall...Im surprised bellevue put up 12 points on them with the likes of Ohio state bound Tim cHeatwood, nw bound salem simon, todd bacik, and abraham on defense, the redmen did take out a olentangy squad and lima bath before falling to the bengals that year. 97 with the offensive struggle with desales 14-6...and then in 2002 two of bellevues playoff opponents in div 3 that year are now div 2 almost one in Medina HIghland and Big walnut

Its hard to believe that not long ago in 1993, that Bellevue who was in division 2 at the time took on Uniontown Lake at BW in berea and got thumped pretty good 21-0. Lake ran some nice toss sweeps and traps for large gains through the Bellevue defense. and then being in division three in 1996 and taking on benedictine with the results not being pretty. taking on a gigantic offensive line lead by the Mruczkowski brothers, and rb walter randall...Im surprised bellevue put up 12 points on them with the likes of Ohio state bound Tim cHeatwood, nw bound salem simon, todd bacik, and abraham on defense, the redmen did take out a olentangy squad and lima bath before falling to the bengals that year. 97 with the offensive struggle with desales 14-6...and then in 2002 two of bellevues playoff opponents in div 3 that year are now div 2 almost one in Medina HIghland and Big walnut
wrong Redmen, for this thread. Ha!

That game was against Toledo St. Francis in a game played at Mollenkopf Stadium at Waite. The Little Giants lost that night, but you could tell they were turning the corner from the horror of the previous two seasons.
IIRC you guys were still representative against a nasty schedule. Even Findlay at 4-6 was pretty good, they just bit off more than they could chew OOC. 2003 OTOH...

2021: 1-6
2020: 0-9
2019: 6-4
2018: 4-6
2017: 5-5
2016: 4-6
2015: 2-8
2014: 4-6
26-50 under Derek Kidwell

2013: 0-10
2012: 0-10
0-20 under Jim Kelly

2011: 5-5
2010: 0-10
2009: 3-7
8-22 under Beau Carmon

Fostoria is 34-92 in the last 13 seasons...
4 seasons being winless blows my mind

The interesting thing about that time was who played in the D 2 championship games. 1989 was Benedictine vs Fostoria, in 1990 St Marys vs Col Desales...but St Marys beat Fostoria in the semis, in 1991 Lake vs Fostoria, in 1992 St Marys vs Fostoria, in 1993 Lake vs St Marys, in 1994 Chardon vs Rayland Buckeye...where that is interesting Lake beat Chardon in the semis in 1993 and lost to Buckeye in first round of the playoffs in 1994
I was at that 1989 game vs JOES. McBeth was quite a tailback. The VIKINGS won that game on defense and special teams.

I hinted this earlier about Moore's hit on Woodson, but that 1993 game between Ross and Fostoria was one of the better games I saw. Harmon Stadium was jam-packed as Div II #1 Fostoria and Ross Div I #5. Both communities would never be described as affluent, but 50/50 that night was significant that one could go to Findlay to purchase a Bentley.

Despite 300 yards of Offense, Ross mustered only 6 points. Missed opportunities including an Int in RedZone early in game, and blocked 36 yard FG at the end. The weird part was a Fostoria player picked up the ball and basically handed it to a Ross player in somewhat taunting fashion. What no realized it was a live ball. Ross player chucks ball over his head in disgust. Then, since this occurred near Ross sideline, Coaches must have yelled something, but too late when another Ross player was tackled.

That 7-6 Fostoria victory cost Ross:

1. undefeated season
2. GLL Title
3. Playoffs
4 GLL all-sports trophy. Finished a point behind Whitmer

In an earlier post, Upside mentioned Kidwell as being quotable. Prior to 1996 Title Game, he was asked what he thought. His reply, "if we played Buchtel 10x, they'd win 9. But, we only have to beat them once "

1992, Fremont Harmon Stadium vs talented Elyria West, Wolverines jumped out to 16-0'lead. That was the wakeup call the Doctor ordered. Redmen proceed to score the game's next 26 points, and said goodnight

Who could forget their 1991 game against Cleveland John Hay? Redmen up 76-0 after 3 Quarters, so at beginning of 4th, Hornets said screw it, we're walking off the field.

I'm surprised Jafo hasn't offered some fond stories of Fostoria inflicting punishment to his Findlay Trojans, Ha!

I remember playing against Fostoria in the early 1980's. Joe Johnson, who went on to play at Notre Dame, was the best athlete I ever played against. The Redmen in general were the most physical team and after the game, you knew you played one helluva football game. Also had to wear our helmets off the field and into the locker room as many stones would come your way if you were able to beat them.

1983 - I remember Elyria Catholic beating Fostoria 13-6 at a snowy George Daniel field in Lorain. The difference was an EC interception and return 95 yards for a TD. EC went on to win the DIII title that year.

1983 - I remember Elyria Catholic beating Fostoria 13-6 at a snowy George Daniel field in Lorain. The difference was an EC interception and return 95 yards for a TD. EC went on to win the DIII title that year.
Elyria Catholic during that time gave Redmen fits whether Bellevue or Fostoria

A couple of stories...
The Redmen were pasting Springfield in first round of 1991 playoffs at Donnell. Damon Moore was a freshman and came in as the back up QB to spell Kidwell. He was electric and ran roughshod over Springfield's first teamers in the second half. Nordonia's coaches were there as they added Fostoria to the schedule the following year. When they saw Moore, as a freshman, knowing they would have to face him the next two years, the next day Fostoria got a call from them to cancel the contract.

In the early 1990s, soccer goals were constructed in the fields adjacent to the high school. After the coaching staff was alerted, they were removed the next day.

I can remember in 1991 going downtown with everyone else to greet the Redmen on their return home from winning a state title. There were thousands of folks jammed into the downtown area at midnight as the bus pulled in and they were pounding on the bus whooping it up. It was an amazing scene.

I played across town during the 80s when the Redmen were very good. I'd bet you couldn't find a town in Ohio of the same size that had the level of HS football talent that Fostoria had between FHS and St. Wendy in the 1980s and early 1990s. Both teams in town went 10-0 in 1983 and the Boosters brought an aging Woody Hayes in to talk to both teams.
not to mention the St. Wendelin talent at that small school the same time FHS had a ton of talent too....

Greg Studrawa-BGSU, Jeff Burns-U of Toledo, Dave Reiter- record setter at Tiffin U, and more I can't think of right now.....

Amazing time for football for a town of 15,000

I believe EC was 4-0 against the "Redmen" during the 80's. The one win against Fostoria and 3-0 against Bellevue. All of them tough, hard-fought battles.
Nothing against Bellevue at all but putting them all in the same category at that time is just not right.

Nothing against Bellevue at all but putting them all in the same category at that time is just not right.
remember, at this time, Fostoria hadn't established anything in Playoff era. Also, those two played in 60s, with Fostoria dropping Bellevue because Eastern Redmen was consistently waxing Western Redmen.

It was pretty cool what Fotown did in football back then. Just looking at the number of D1 scholarships is nuts. But, what's really rare is a town that size having 3 guys make the NFL. That's some deep South type stuff.

It was pretty cool what Fotown did in football back then. Just looking at the number of D1 scholarships is nuts. But, what's really rare is a town that size having 3 guys make the NFL. That's some deep South type stuff.
Like St Henry having 3 future NFL players on one football/basketball HS team in 1990 with Jeff Hartings, Bobby Hoying and Scott Brunswick (made Cowboys but a ankle injury ended his chances of playing).