#8 Struthers @ #1 West Branch

Just a little Intel ....this from me personally and I have NO inside Intel whatsoever...

Deshields is a baller and leader and wants the ball in his hand when the game is on the line... He WILL play or atleast start friday night.
The messages about WB playing him all 4 quarters and not resting him is simply false.... I have been to every game in person except the Woodridge and Revere game and watched them online.... he only played all 4 quarters in 3 games this season (Canfield, Alliance, Salem). Revere, Howland, Minerva he was out after halftime or the first drive of the second half.... Ridgewood,Carrollton,Woodridge , and Marlington played 3 Quarters. So our back up QB has played quite a bit and he also has played some defense for us this year so he is game ready. I watched him play against a very physical one dimensional Carrollton team with no rushing attempts and simply stood in the pocket and spread it all around throwing for 5 tds in basically 3 quarters. That being said his athletic running ability is what we will need to take us to the next level and against quality opponents ( like Struthers). I know he won't be 100 % but if he can be 60% that may be enough...

I'm trying to figure out who Struthers is Similar too on our schedule? From what I'm reading is that they are predominantly a running team with the occasional deep ball. Is that true? The teams we have faced like that I would say would probably be Howland, Carrollton I see Struthers being comparable to Carrollton with better Athletes and some of there positions.

As far as the kicking situation... In week 1 our first missed extra point was by #2 and then we were basically chasing the rest of the night going for 2.... It ultimately costs us the game otherwise WB is 11-0... #44 Is definetly the more accurate PAT kicker... However as stated #2 does our kickoffs and occasionally puts in into the endzone and has kicked a few field goals this year.. and against Salem there was a personal foul on us after a TD and he kicked a long PAT that was Good by Atleast 15 more Yards the distance isn't his issure its Accuracy. I wouldn't be suprised if we attempt a FG on Friday if needed.
Good info and well said.

Last edited:
Even if WB made all the PATs the game is tied at best and goes to OT, and Canfield would have probably done some things differently at the end of they needed to score again to win. So it is hard to say with any degree of certainty what would have happened if you made every PAT.
I agree with that

Struthers is a mix between Salem and Carrollton, run heavy but take some deep shots, and run a lot of the same type of formations that Salem runs, just more athletic at all of the positions. The Struthers QB is not the thrower that Johnson is from Salem, but way more fast and shifty as a runner, hope that helps a little bit
I know that the QB from Canfield (Lowry) gave us fits also early in the year but most of that damage was done on the ground also.

I know that the QB from Canfield (Lowry) gave us fits also early in the year but most of that damage was done on the ground also.
I think the damage could have been done in through the air if you walked up the SS and/or DBs to help in run defense. It is just a matter of what WB wanted to take away the pass or the run. WB didn't have the defense to take away both. The offense is excellent however for the most part.

They’re different in the style they play, Lowry runs through people, and gryzb makes a lot of kids miss in space, we haven’t faced a team that hasn’t put 8-9 guys in the box since week 5 lol

Even if WB made all the PATs the game is tied at best and goes to OT, and Canfield would have probably done some things differently at the end of they needed to score again to win. So it is hard to say with any degree of certainty what would have happened if you made every PAT.
Just a little Intel ....this from me personally and I have NO inside Intel whatsoever...

Deshields is a baller and leader and wants the ball in his hand when the game is on the line... He WILL play or atleast start friday night.
The messages about WB playing him all 4 quarters and not resting him is simply false.... I have been to every game in person except the Woodridge and Revere game and watched them online.... he only played all 4 quarters in 3 games this season (Canfield, Alliance, Salem). Revere, Howland, Minerva he was out after halftime or the first drive of the second half.... Ridgewood,Carrollton,Woodridge , and Marlington played 3 Quarters. So our back up QB has played quite a bit and he also has played some defense for us this year so he is game ready. I watched him play against a very physical one dimensional Carrollton team with no rushing attempts and simply stood in the pocket and spread it all around throwing for 5 tds in basically 3 quarters. That being said his athletic running ability is what we will need to take us to the next level and against quality opponents ( like Struthers). I know he won't be 100 % but if he can be 60% that may be enough...

I'm trying to figure out who Struthers is Similar too on our schedule? From what I'm reading is that they are predominantly a running team with the occasional deep ball. Is that true? The teams we have faced like that I would say would probably be Howland, Carrollton I see Struthers being comparable to Carrollton with better Athletes and some of there positions.

As far as the kicking situation... In week 1 our first missed extra point was by #2 and then we were basically chasing the rest of the night going for 2.... It ultimately costs us the game otherwise WB is 11-0... #44 Is definetly the more accurate PAT kicker... However as stated #2 does our kickoffs and occasionally puts in into the endzone and has kicked a few field goals this year.. and against Salem there was a personal foul on us after a TD and he kicked a long PAT that was Good by Atleast 15 more Yards the distance isn't his issure its Accuracy. I wouldn't be suprised if we attempt a FG on Friday if needed.
Very nice recap

Agree, DeShields is a baller. His dual threat was the difference in their close games. Even hobbled he gutted in out when he needed to with his legs.He’s going to have to play a conservative version of himself to avoid hits . I hope it’s enough. He has great field vision and instincts that can’t be taught. I believe in almost 3000 yards of passing he has just 1 interception still. That’s impressive.

I think this is spot on schematic wise. But I’ve always thought Struthers was a very similar school to Alliance. Comparing from a kid/athletic/economic/diversity standpoint

I’m interested to see what the cats do with Carter the safety. Usually he’s in the box, can’t have him in the box this week. He’s like that hybrid safety/olb. I also wonder if the cats have a nickel set ready too
I don't know how "big" this carter kid is but if he's a tad on the "slower" side in out 5 wide sets it may be a matchup WB tries to exploit if he can't guard our skill guys in space?

#32 isn't a burner but isn't slow either. Athletic safety that can play in the box. Seems to have finally found his rhythm and confidence the last few weeks. Can get lost in coverage at times (See SR film -loses slot on wheel route). Could have been a blown coverage but it was a big play for SR.

If the same WB team that played Canfield shows up, then WB wins. If the WB team that played Salem, Struthers wins. This is a very good matchup.

WB has a history of struggling with athletic backs. A good back will get his yards but they try to limit big plays then outscore teams. It worked last year until they ran into an athletic backfield in Ursuline.

Not a big believer in home field advantage in HS football. Basketball yes, familiarity with the sight lines and rims for sure, but never really put much stock into it for football. Seems like road teams have less distractions, just get on the bus and go play. But the more it rains this week the more WB has the advantage at home on fall grass. It’s going to be loose footing which will slow down the Struthers pass rush and make cutting out of a back pedal hard on the secondary. WRs know where they are going but the DBs have to react. If it actually rains during the game that will even it out cause now the ball is wet and the cats wants to run it and WB wants to throw it. At this point it’s better for Struthers if it rains during the game cause the bad footing on a dry night helps west branch.

Not a big believer in home field advantage in HS football. Basketball yes, familiarity with the sight lines and rims for sure, but never really put much stock into it for football. Seems like road teams have less distractions, just get on the bus and go play. But the more it rains this week the more WB has the advantage at home on fall grass. It’s going to be loose footing which will slow down the Struthers pass rush and make cutting out of a back pedal hard on the secondary. WRs know where they are going but the DBs have to react. If it actually rains during the game that will even it out cause now the ball is wet and the cats wants to run it and WB wants to throw it. At this point it’s better for Struthers if it rains during the game cause the bad footing on a dry night helps west branch.
The issue is I don’t think Struthers has played on grass in 2-3 years, I know they’re practicing this week on grass for the first time this season, I would imagine a lot I’d walk through stuff tho

Pressure will not come from the Dline of Struthers. It will come from lbs or safety.

We scrimmaged WB and played Struthers. Struthers better D. WB better O. Struthers runs ball well. WB throws very well. I don’t think QB matters for WB. I know both of them, they are both well above average HS QBs. If I’m WB, I’m leaving the grass high to slow down Struthers in there soccer style cleats. Most kids don’t wear long cleat shoes anymore. I do think home field will play a role in this game, not sure if it will help enough though.

Pressure will not come from the Dline of Struthers. It will come from lbs or safety.
Correct, they like to either blitz a backed up the middle off a stunt or Carter off the edge and that’s a nightmare to stop him. I think the Jefferson QB thought about him all night after his brutal sack on him

Isn’t there a state standard for the grass fields so that stuff doesn’t happen? I remember years back liberty had a problem with either Girard or Hubbard not cutting their grass. State got involved

Correct, they like to either blitz a backed up the middle off a stunt or Carter off the edge and that’s a nightmare to stop him. I think the Jefferson QB thought about him all night after his brutal sack on him
They better get to the the qb if the blitz. If not at least the Struthers defense won't be tired because WB will pick them apart and score quickly. But am sure the Struthers DC is doing his homework and have a good game plan. I am thinking that blitzing a lot is not the way to go..

Isn’t there a state standard for the grass fields so that stuff doesn’t happen? I remember years back liberty had a problem with either Girard or Hubbard not cutting their grass. State got involved
I am so jealous! My team's last playoff game was 2011!! West Branch is much faster than you think. Their speed is young but they do have it. They will have the grass cut appropriately. This game will come down to execution. If DeShields able to play he is not a normal high school quarterback, he will pick up the blitz, find the right receivers and pick you apart, he is a very good athlete and even a smarter player. It sounds like he can't take off and run like normally, if he plays, so a disciplined defense may be the way to go. Keep receivers in front and tackle. Make them have long drives and score inside the red zone. If Alezaus plays he may make mistakes due to lack of experience-- I hear that he is a very large individual and pretty tough dude and had an absolute cannon for an arm- i am hearing he is 6'6" 240ish?? If a wb fan can confirm his size that would be great. I really think struthers has to be patient and disciplined on defense, keep the ball in front of them, don't try to go for interceptions, stay in their rush lanes and gaps and don't miss tackles when they complete passes.If they blitz too much they will get burned. Keep in mind that WBs offensive line is very experienced and the running back is a very good blocker, blitzing a lot will not phase them as much as other teams. Struthers will probably give up first downs and some points but need to make them earn it. West Branch's defense is not necessarily great so struthers will score some points. I think there will be a lot of points in this game

Last edited:
I am so jealous! My team's last playoff game was 2011!! West Branch is much faster than you think. Their speed is young but they do have it. They will have the grass cut appropriately. This game will come down to execution. If DeShields able to play he is not a normal high school quarterback, he will pick up the blitz, find the right receivers and pick you apart, he is a very good athlete and even a smarter player. It sounds like he can't take off and run like normally, if he plays, so a disciplined defense may be the way to go. Keep receivers in front and tackle. Make them have long drives and score inside the red zone. If Alezaus plays he may make mistakes due to lack of experience-- I hear that he is a very large individual and pretty tough dude and had an absolute cannon for an arm- i am hearing he is 6'6" 240ish?? If a wb fan can confirm his size that would be great. I really think struthers has to be patient and disciplined on defense, keep the ball in front of them, don't try to go for interceptions, stay in their rush lanes and gaps and don't miss tackles when they complete passes.If they blitz too much they will get burned. Keep in mind that WBs offensive line is very experienced and the running back is a very good blocker, blitzing a lot will not phase them as much as other teams. Struthers will probably give up first downs and some points but need to make them earn it. West Branch's defense is not necessarily great so struthers will score some points. I think there will be a lot of points in this game
Struthers and WB I think will have to play great situational football in the redzone. The way WB throws the ball is so quick you’re not able to get pressure that fast, Struthers will need to take his first and second read away to create pressure