#5 Walsh Jesuit @ #1 Cleveland Benedictine

RestoreTheRoar

OHSAA State Playoffs. Division II, Region 5 Regional Semifinal (Round 3): Walsh Jesuit (10-2) at Cleveland Benedictine (8-2) on a neutral field TBD by OHSAA

Always look forward to this game as a Bengal. Benedictine won the regular season matchup at WJ 35-34 in 2OT.

Bengals also have defeated Walsh in each of the last 2 postseasons (2019 & 2020).

Bengals rebounded and played a good all around game to defeat Painesville Riverside 31-12 ending their season at a record of 7-5. Back from injury, CeeJay Yarboro looked great. His line was Yarboro was 17 of 24 passing for 242 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions. He also added a 3rd TD with his legs. Duane Jackson rushed 18 times for 151 yards and 1 TD, highlighted by a 89 yard run in the 4th Q to put the game away. Senior WR/DB, Brandon Boyd who torched Walsh in week one also had a great game, except for one play on a kick returner last night. He has to be one of the fastest players in the entire state.

Walsh romped Maple Heights in the first round of the playoffs and are led by QB, Matt Natale who passed for an efficient 214 yards last night. In that game, the Warriors fell behind Hudson 14-0 before ripping off 23 unanswered points to win 23-14. Wideout, Christian Ochei can stretch the field and had 70 yards receiving. WJ’s defense also played well holding Hudson to 91 yards of offense in the 2nd half.

I’m not sure if this is correct, but I heard some injuries to Walsh? Is their RB down and potentially someone else?

Very interested to see where this game is held. I could very much see the game being at Bedford Stadium.

This should be one of the better games in the state next Friday! Winner to the Regional Final with a shot to advance to States versus winner of Nordonia/Akron Hoban.

Benedictine write-up:

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...ches-past-riverside-31-12.html?outputType=amp

Walsh write-up:

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...4-in-division-ii-region-5.html?outputType=amp

Last edited:

OHSAA State Playoffs. Division II, Region 5 Regional Semifinal (Round 3): Walsh Jesuit (10-2) at Cleveland Benedictine (8-2) on a neutral field TBD by OHSAA

Always look forward to this game as a Bengal. Benedictine won the regular season matchup at WJ 35-34 in 2OT.

Bengals also have defeated Walsh in each of the last 2 postseasons (2019 & 2020).

Bengals rebounded and played a good all around game to defeat Painesville Riverside 31-12 ending their season at a record of 7-5. Back from injury, CeeJay Yarboro looked great. His line was Yarboro was 17 of 24 passing for 242 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions. He also added a 3rd TD with his legs. Duane Jackson had well over 100 yards rushing for Benedictine highlighted by a 89 yard run in the 4th Q to put the game away. Senior WR/DB, Brandon Boyd who torched Walsh in week one also had a great game, except for one play on a kick returner last night. He has to be one of the fastest players in the entire state.

Walsh romped Maple Heights in the first round of the playoffs and are led by QB, Matt Natale who passed for an efficient 214 yards last night. In that game, the Warriors fell behind Hudson 14-0 before ripping off 23 unanswered points to win 23-14. Wideout, Christian Ochei can stretch the field and had 70 yards receiving. WJ’s defense also played well holding Hudson to 91 yards of offense in the 2nd half.

I’m not sure if this is correct, but I heard some injuries to Walsh? Is their RB down and potentially someone else?

Very interested to see where this game is held. I could very much see the game being at Bedford Stadium.

This should be one of the better games in the state next Friday! Winner to the Regional Final with a shot to advance to States versus winner of Nordonia/Akron Hoban.

Benedictine write-up:

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...ches-past-riverside-31-12.html?outputType=amp

Walsh write-up:

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...4-in-division-ii-region-5.html?outputType=amp
Benny did not play any games at Bedford this year? correct?

No reason other then they seem balanced and physical this year. They played Bene close and it's really hard to beat a team twice in one season.

2 Good teams….. Benny has a speed advantage and Walsh has an advantage in discipline and execution. Walsh does not make many sudden change errors.It is difficult to beat a good team twice and Walsh has improved a lot throughout the year…very gritty performance against Hudson being down 14 and battling back.4 quarter game with Walsh winning close in the end. Good to see Benny is healthy again….This will be good one.

A game so close in Week 1 makes it even tougher for the winning team to win the second one. My reasoning is because that lost gives that little bit extra all week to get ready for the game for Walsh. Now that the Bengals are healthy again, maybe they will be a little bit more consistent. I just think Walsh are playing a little bit better at the moment.

This could be the third great game in a row between these teams. In the second round of the playoffs last year, Benedictine won 27-20 in OT. Week one of this year was Benedictine 35-34 in 2 OT.

Going to guess Walsh may want some revenge from the previous 2 meetings.
Am remembering that playoff loss last year where WJ scored a TD with about 30 seconds to go in the game. Tied it up and all they needed to do was kick the XP to win. Except a stupid unsportsmanlike penalty set them back 15 yards on the kick and they missed it. Bene went on to win in OT.

The last meeting was in week 1 of the season. Walsh has made big improvements since then. Benedictine was on a roll early in the season but currently have not improved. Seem to be stuck in a funk. Sure they’ve won. The competition the last 3 weeks has not been more talented than Benedictine, still struggled. This week Benedictine needs to play off the charts, hitting on all cylinders. If not, it will be a nail biter. Could be a Walsh blowout.
No free lancing, play assignment football, listen to the coaches, practice with a purpose, respect your opponent, get the win. This is what it will take for Benedictine to get the win. Good Luck this week. As I say every week. Focus, Focus, Focus