2023 State Tournament Alternates

I'd be curious to know how many alternates typically make the trip and step on the scale in the unlikely event they get the nod?

Last year there was a kid that had the opportunity to get in and the coach didn't tell him. He didn't bother practicing all week then when coach got the call he didn't let the kid know. Sad

In 2019 Upper Arlington got TWO alternates in. It was amazing. Both found out at weigh ins. One because of a skin check and i forget what the other was.
Both had practiced all week and were on weight. Be prepared, be ready.

2023-03-08_Dumb and dumber.png

Last edited:
I do know one from last year Central District D1 that had opportunity to get in but was way overweight and didn't want to or couldn't make it.

I do know one from last year Central District D1 that had opportunity to get in but was way overweight and didn't want to or couldn't make it.
Do you know if he had practiced all week before finding out he had the opportunity

Hearing a rumor that D3 Northmor's 106lbs is being deemed ineligible for something with his weight and that the Mechanicsburg 106lbs will be getting in. Rumor has it that they just received the call about it today....

Mark Niemann puts these situations very well: Double edged sword. Feel for Hart, what a shame.

I wouldnt be too shocked at all if Gregory won at least 1 match, he is good. This experience will just set him up even better for the years ahead regardless.

Adam Makour ( Dublin Coffman) out at 132 , Jace Edmonds from Lancaster is in.. Adam got hurt in semi loss, fought back in consi semi to win and then wrestled for 3rd and won. Nothing was stopping this kid from making it this year as a sophomore .. he did it all w just one good arm !! Brass balls !!! He will be back better then ever next season .

Adam Makour ( Dublin Coffman) out at 132 , Jace Edmonds from Lancaster is in.. Adam got hurt in semi loss, fought back in consi semi to win and then wrestled for 3rd and won. Nothing was stopping this kid from making it this year as a sophomore .. he did it all w just one good arm !! Brass balls !!! He will be back better then ever next season .
Brass balls indeed! Super tough kid.

I imagine 144 pound wrestler from Barnesville will not be wrestling this weekend. He was runner up in the Harrison Central District. He suffered a horrible injury during the championship match.

Coffman doesnt win Darby District without those wins.

D3 106
HC-5 Nolan Fraley 10 - Mechanicsburg - in

Northmor 106 that Boo Town pointed out is who he replaced.

I imagine 144 pound wrestler from Barnesville will not be wrestling this weekend. He was runner up in the Harrison Central District. He suffered a horrible injury during the championship match.
As of now he is planning on wrestling, he said it and should be ready for states, but I seen it and nothing was backwards. He has a lot of heart to try and wrestle !!!!good for him he is a beast of a kid

As of now he is planning on wrestling, he said it and should be ready for states, but I seen it and nothing was backwards. He has a lot of heart to try and wrestle !!!!good for him he is a beast of a kid
That is nothing short of amazing.....Shows his toughness and the good fortune of having excellent trainers that acted quickly to mitigate the injury.

Jesse Schilling (Mentor) 103 in 2004.
It seems that another Mentor wrestler did the same thing, in the same place, at about that time but I can't remember for sure.
I think you're thinking Matt Lerer from 2003 or so. He finished 5th at sectionals, placed 2nd or 3rd at districts and ended up placing 3rd at the state tournament for Mentor. I think he also placed after transferring to Mayfield and then Beachwood. But I believe was a district alternate.

And now he is out!!!! That’s to bad the kid worked hard past 4 years for an injury like that in the finals of district!!!!