2023 St. Edward Football

Seems like StEd's is ruling R1 with authority and no one is catching them anytime soon. Probably a good thing there is turnover with the Ignatius Coaching staff because it seemed obvious they had no answer for StEd's. R4 is a blood bath and I got a feeling Springfield is going to rule R3 for a long time. Are we going to see Pickerington bounce back in R2? If I didn't know any better they are constantly battling for public school kids with their next door neighbors over at Gahanna. Very good chance StEd's has a three peat because Moeller is probably the best team in R4 this season but they are not a great team. Having said that R4 bounces

Springfield is R2

Has anyone heard the rumors Coach Pappas was offered the Elyria Catholic head football job and passed on it?
Also heard Coach Lombardo was offered the John caroll head job! Pretty good source on both.
Lastly I heard a coach on staff is in the final running for the Gilmore head coach job!
Can’t believe I’m the only one who has heard these rumors.
All reckless speculation
But sources I trust.
with winning comes coach poaching. Testimony to how tight this staff is that they still together.
Don’t shoot the messenger just pretty good rumor sources

Has anyone heard the rumors Coach Pappas was offered the Elyria Catholic head football job and passed on it?
Also heard Coach Lombardo was offered the John caroll head job! Pretty good source on both.
Lastly I heard a coach on staff is in the final running for the Gilmore head coach job!
Can’t believe I’m the only one who has heard these rumors.
All reckless speculation
But sources I trust.
with winning comes coach poaching. Testimony to how tight this staff is that they still together.
Don’t shoot the messenger just pretty good rumor sources
Pappas has been offered multiple head jobs and turned them down , Strongsville, Benny just to name a few a few yrs back. Great coach better human like a lot on the eagles staff

Pappas came in with nedz and stayed on with Finotti and is still dedicated to the school!

A few reasons I don't think anyone would leave right now. Next year's team looks absolutely loaded and you'd be giving up a really good shot at another ring. Most of the staff has been together for a number of years, they clearly like where they are and how the school treats them. A number of their best coaches are also teachers there. Unless there is a true ambition to be a head coach, you will not find many better jobs than that. As for jumping into the college game, I just don't see that happening with a lot of them and where they are with their lives. Finotti made sense to me because he had always been moving up coaching ranks. Lombo seems content being a HC for HS.

Pappas is about as good as it gets on that side of the football. We're very lucky he has been content as our D-coordinator over the years. Certainly deserving of a head coaching position somewhere. Talent aside, his defenses have shut down and/or neutralized some pretty prolific offenses over the years.
Pappas > frazinger

Armstrong twins continue to pile up the big-time offers as Georgia joined the fold. Rare for them to come north for talent.

Thought the same kid. Some incredible talent on that O line. Catching up to the 2010 version?
With three returning OL starters and a solid TE, this could be an exceptional O-line in 2023. Replacing the center and RG will be their focus as summer camp begins.

Go Eagles!

BTW, the Eagles will have the two (2) of the finest ILBs in Ohio HS football next season. With a few DBs and a DT/DE returning on the defensive side of the ball as well, this D will also be good to very good. Unlike last year's team, the Eagles will be very good offensively from game 1 on and will continue to progress and mature defensively as the season does as well. Hopefully it all comes together week 11 on.

Go Eagles!

With three returning OL starters and a solid TE, this could be an exceptional O-line in 2023. Replacing the center and RG will be their focus as summer camp begins.

Go Eagles!
The kid that transferred in from bay village? I think his name is Bush looks like a lock for one of the spots. So yes another top end lineman! This line with returning Quarterback and 2 receivers should be a special kind of offense! Don’t know anything about running back. Heard one of the candidates was hurt last year. But healthy now! So maybe a little thin in numbers At runningback and not sure who’s in line to fill vacant spots at WRs.

The kid that transferred in from bay village? I think his name is Bush looks like a lock for one of the spots. So yes another top end lineman! This line with returning Quarterback and 2 receivers should be a special kind of offense! Don’t know anything about running back. Heard one of the candidates was hurt last year. But healthy now! So maybe a little thin in numbers At runningback and not sure who’s in line to fill vacant spots at WRs.
MaxPreps lists Tommy Bush as a 6'2", 275 sophomore guard/tackle on Bay High School's 2022 varsity football roster.

MaxPreps lists Tommy Bush as a 6'2", 275 sophomore guard/tackle on Bay High School's 2022 varsity football roster.
He transferred from Bay after his freshman year and played on the JV team for us this past season. So unless he transferred back to Bay, I do expect him to occupy either the center or right guard position.

Last edited:
Thought the same kid. Some incredible talent on that O line. Catching up to the 2010 version?
Definitely catching up to that group but, as others have said, we'll have to see how the two vacancies get filled. The 2010 group had four Power 5 kids and an Ivy Leaguer, not to mention a Power 5 TE who was essentially a glorified tackle for us that year. Roebuck and the twins are as good as any of those guys, but it will be tough to match that group from end to end.

He transferred from Bay after his freshman year and played on the JV team for us this past season. So unless he transferred back to Bay, I do expect him to occupy either the center or right guard position.
Thanks, I missed that. Unfortunately, the Eagles athletic website lists the 2021 roster for the JV team.

Little shout-out to senior Michael Bissler for taking first overall in the 60-meter dash at the indoor track championships this weekend. Bissler opted not to put on the pads this year, but looks to be in position to compete at state's for the track team.

Bradley Eaton finished as Runner-up at 150lbs in OHSAA DI Wrestling Tournament. Johnny Slaper finished 5th at 190. Nick Gregory was a State qualifier at HVY, after Kilbane missed season with injury. Gregory went 1-2.

Bradley Eaton finished as Runner-up at 150lbs in OHSAA DI Wrestling Tournament. Johnny Slaper finished 5th at 190. Nick Gregory was a State qualifier at HVY, after Kilbane missed season with injury. Gregory went 1-2.
Behlen Waugh was also a state qualifier at 215.

Definitely catching up to that group but, as others have said, we'll have to see how the two vacancies get filled. The 2010 group had four Power 5 kids and an Ivy Leaguer, not to mention a Power 5 TE who was essentially a glorified tackle for us that year. Roebuck and the twins are as good as any of those guys, but it will be tough to match that group from end to end.
We sort of had this discussion last fall, but as good as the 2010 O-line was (I've maintained over the years that it was arguably Ohio's best ever, for the same reason you also put forth, the tackle to tight end quality established by the schools at which they ended up), it's my opinion that the 2022 O-line surpassed 2010 last year, and this upcoming version in 2023 will only further separate. Although the "eyeball test" is all I usually need, I made the argument before the state championship game that the college recruiters seem to agree with me overwhelmingly, with some 70 mostly major offers at that time. Only Kyle Kalis was of the elite stature with which Roebuck and the Armstrong twins are viewed. We're talking three NFL body types as juniors in high school on the same high school line. They will be even bigger, stronger, faster and more dominant this upcoming season. I was thinking perhaps that following the bludgeoning performance they put on in the championship game, coupled with the Ohio State and now Georgia offers to the Armstrongs, that people would stop arguing otherwise. I guess not. We're all entitled to our opinions. Mogus, Orlosky, Rivera, Brandon Jackson, Sam Grant were good. and alongside Kalis it was special. But I would argue that Ricky Wolverton was at least the equal of Rivera, Roebuck at least the equal of Kalis, and the Armstrongs are at a whole other level than Mogus, Orlosky or Jackson, to such a degree that I don't care who the other guys are. Anderson Soltis was enough of a dude last year, Bush or whoever else gets put out there next year, with maybe Balogh (or who else? Honest question.) at TE, and Eds will have a line even more punishing than a year ago, which was more punishing than 2010 was. Just my subjective opinion. But I'm quite sure the majority of college recruiters would agree with me. I could be wrong. But there are levels within Power 5. just as there are levels within say, the Big Ten. One offer to Northwestern or West Virginia is not in the stratosphere of like 30 offers that include the Michigans, Ohio States and Georgias. Even at Eds, with the legacy of 2010, we've not seen anything like this group. If the 2004 team had 3 Alex Boones, would anyone argue some other year was better (regardless of the other guys). I don't think so.

We sort of had this discussion last fall, but as good as the 2010 O-line was (I've maintained over the years that it was arguably Ohio's best ever, for the same reason you also put forth, the tackle to tight end quality established by the schools at which they ended up), it's my opinion that the 2022 O-line surpassed 2010 last year, and this upcoming version in 2023 will only further separate. Although the "eyeball test" is all I usually need, I made the argument before the state championship game that the college recruiters seem to agree with me overwhelmingly, with some 70 mostly major offers at that time. Only Kyle Kalis was of the elite stature with which Roebuck and the Armstrong twins are viewed. We're talking three NFL body types as juniors in high school on the same high school line. They will be even bigger, stronger, faster and more dominant this upcoming season. I was thinking perhaps that following the bludgeoning performance they put on in the championship game, coupled with the Ohio State and now Georgia offers to the Armstrongs, that people would stop arguing otherwise. I guess not. We're all entitled to our opinions. Mogus, Orlosky, Rivera, Brandon Jackson, Sam Grant were good. and alongside Kalis it was special. But I would argue that Ricky Wolverton was at least the equal of Rivera, Roebuck at least the equal of Kalis, and the Armstrongs are at a whole other level than Mogus, Orlosky or Jackson, to such a degree that I don't care who the other guys are. Anderson Soltis was enough of a dude last year, Bush or whoever else gets put out there next year, with maybe Balogh (or who else? Honest question.) at TE, and Eds will have a line even more punishing than a year ago, which was more punishing than 2010 was. Just my subjective opinion. But I'm quite sure the majority of college recruiters would agree with me. I could be wrong. But there are levels within Power 5. just as there are levels within say, the Big Ten. One offer to Northwestern or West Virginia is not in the stratosphere of like 30 offers that include the Michigans, Ohio States and Georgias. Even at Eds, with the legacy of 2010, we've not seen anything like this group. If the 2004 team had 3 Alex Boones, would anyone argue some other year was better (regardless of the other guys). I don't think so.
While I’m inclined to agree , the 2010 had a nasty streak these guys don’t have yet. The potential for this group is higher I agree . Kalis / Orlosky were absolute maulers . Pretty sure we had 3 1000 yard rushers that year also, Bates , Burke , Terrell.

also the D-line on that 2010 team was equally as nasty up front with Gibson , kuhar , mchmanon , render and lally.

Rankings are good for projecting, but in the case of Orlosky and Mogus, we have actual results. Both exceeded their HS rankings, IMO. Orlosky was a 3 year starter at WVU, team captain, Remington Award finalist, First team all Big12, Senior Bowl, etc. Mogus was a two-year starter for NW before his career ended due to concussions.

As good as this offensive line is and on paper. The defense won st Ed’s the title last year!
Hopefully this year’s offense will score at least 150 more points throughout the year than last years title team. I’m not sure the defense will be as dominant a force as last years team. With returning quarterback 2 wide receivers one reciever D-1 , D-1 tight end, three power 5 lineman. The offense needs to be a little more potent.

Last edited: