2023 Mid-State League

Central District D4

2021: 17 teams (2 teams to regionals)
2022: 17 teams (2 teams to regionals)

— — —

2023: 18 teams (1 team to regionals)

Ridiculous.

Does anyone know how scrimmages have gone for MSL teams?
I think there’s only been two…? Talked about the FCA one (they did well.)

I know Berne scrimmed Lancaster. BU will lick their wounds and come out stronger as a result.

(also, apparently it’s actually 19 teams in Central D4. Mechanicsburg wasn’t listed on the CDAB page.)

First home scrim since 2017 is tomorrow, as Eastern (Meigs) comes to town. A nominal rematch of 2005 Sweet 16 game.

Hope the underdogs come out and get after it in their first live-action of the year. Always an opportunity to get better; no time for last season. All you can ask for off the bat is good energy, good effort and starting off on the right foot — can build from it and continuously improve.

Last edited:
First home scrim since 2017 is tomorrow, as Eastern (Meigs) comes to town. A nominal rematch of 2005 Sweet 16 game.

Hope the underdogs come out and get after it in their first live-action of the year. Always an opportunity to get better; no time for last season. All you can ask for off the bat is good energy, good effort and starting off on the right foot — can build from it and continuously improve.
Good work by all, tonight. It’ll take some time and some more action. Feeling better walking away from tonight than I did at the conclusion of scrims last year. I can see this year’s team being better than last year’s come May.

Nelsonville @ Miller ended up 11-5 Nelsonville. Miller gave up 4 spot in 1st, 2 missed fly balls in 1st, led the big inning instead of being 1-2-3. Settled down, 6-4 before Miller went to the young ones, played all 20 kids, Nelsonville brought 11. Definitely a young inexperienced group but athletic and talented Falcons.

Opening day looks like a wash out. Miller is supposed to be home vs. Federal Hocking. What does everyone's schedule look like for opening week?
Miller
3/25 Fed Hock
3/27 @ Wellston
3/28 Crooksville
3/30 @ FCA
3/31 @ Trimble

Lancaster Eagle-Gazette said:
The Mid-State League-Cardinal Division should be as competitive as it has been in a long time. Last year’s league champion Berne Union returns a ton of talent, Fairfield Christian Academy surprised everyone as they went into the tournament with a losing record but were able to win a district title. The Knights are talented, and they return the bulk of their lineup, while Millersport, which will be led by first-year coach Cooper Vest, finished 16-4 last season, and the Lakers return a ton of experience.
All three of those teams will fight it out to see who comes out on top in the league, and all three have high aspirations of making long tournament runs.

notably absent in this quote (click to expand it) is the Cardinal’s cornerstone program of the last two decades 😃

Harvest Prep @ Westland on Wednesday, HP still looking for their first win since 2015… Good things to come though, new coaches, new equipment, more players, excited to see the rebuild, now Westland finished 1-18 last year but played one of the toughest schedules in Ohio, should be an intriguing matchup, HP does play Africentric later this year, I would say this would be one their better chances at winning a game and I bet it would build so much confidence for the players

The Irish boast one of the best pitchers in the entire state in D4 in Peyton Owens. Owens is a standup young man to go along with his talents. He should take the team very far. He’s gaining traction with college programs, including a certain program in the SEC west….#GoIrish

Forecast is starting to look better this upcoming week. A few days ago the M-F was looking rain; rain; sunny; rain; rain on league-opening Friday; rain.

Now it’s looking rain; sunny; sunny; sunny; rain; rain.

Here’s to good weather.

Forecast is starting to look better this upcoming week. A few days ago the M-F was looking rain; rain; sunny; rain; rain on league-opening Friday; rain.

Now it’s looking rain; sunny; sunny; sunny; rain; rain.

Here’s to good weather.
good weather for Peyton Owens to tear er up!

Word was Coach Bianco found out about the golden arm on Granville Pike after a classmate @‘ed Mike one of Peyton’s bullpen throws on Twitter.

Now that’s how you promote your friends!

Harvest Prep @ Westland on Wednesday, HP still looking for their first win since 2015… Good things to come though, new coaches, new equipment, more players, excited to see the rebuild, now Westland finished 1-18 last year but played one of the toughest schedules in Ohio, should be an intriguing matchup, HP does play Africentric later this year, I would say this would be one their better chances at winning a game and I bet it would build so much confidence for the players
Change of Plans Harvest Prep is Opening against Wellington on Tuesday, should be a very very very interesting matchup here

1679962702226.png

I noticed this on Arbiter for the Lakers. Yes, inevitably, with the grid schedule someone’s going to roll three hard ones in a row… although rarely does it come that early.

But, wow! That’s a hard way for the three games to come in sequence the way that they do. F/M/Tuesday?!

Micheal Levacy 14Ks and only gives up 2 hits… but they lost??
Grandview has a Lefty who pitched for Bo Jackson Elite this summer. I can’t find this game on GameChanger, but MaxPreps says it was 1-0 GH. I imagine he was on the hill?

It’s sort of a weird juxtaposition on the arms if they (GH) didn’t save him for Ready on Wednesday.

Still! A great southpaw duel by the Lake on opening day if he did throw.

Not MSL, but elsewhere in the state on Opening Monday…

Lima Bath defeats Lima Central Catholic 2-1. Indiana LHP commit Blaine Albright picks up the win, going the distance fanning 19 and the run was unearned. LCC’s Billy Bourk (a beast in football) dealt 17K’s over 6.

Good display of sportsmanship postgame by the two arms. Honoring your opponent is a great virtue!

Crooksville 10 Miller 3
It was a 2-1 game thru 4 1/3 then Miller started kicking the ball around. The young squad struggling to put hits together and play 7 complete innings. Growing pains of freshmen and sophomores.