2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just curious, what do you guys think about the chances of Bond 6’4 256 and Davenport 6’6 255 playing the down ends? Any chance those two are the starters?

I’ve heard worse ideas lol

Get your biggest and best athletes on the field
That’s kinda what I was thinking. Let those two give teams some size and fits upfront and speed and our most talented everywhere else. Obviously Mike Wright is about 6’0 280 and he will be a big problem as we all know inside those two. I’d just love to see us have a defense where it’s extremely difficult to score on. I’m honestly not concerned about our offense with all the talent on that side. I just want to see a lights out defense. I know that this stat really doesn’t mean much but in our championship games (6) we’ve been out scored 33.3 to 14.8
One of these years I’m hoping we can just get that lights out defense to show up huge in the last game of the year. I honestly believe that this year could be that year. I’m just thinking out loud here.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Let those two give teams some size and fits upfront and speed and our most talented everywhere else. Obviously Mike Wright is about 6’0 280 and he will be a big problem as we all know inside those two. I’d just love to see us have a defense where it’s extremely difficult to score on. I’m honestly not concerned about our offense with all the talent on that side. I just want to see a lights out defense. I know that this stat really doesn’t mean much but in our championship games (6) we’ve been out scored 33.3 to 14.8
One of these years I’m hoping we can just get that lights out defense to show up huge in the last game of the year. I honestly believe that this year could be that year. I’m just thinking out loud here.

I've always felt we've been fairly stout on the D line vs. the run, but subpar vs. the pass. Meaning our weakness is rushing the passer, or chasing him outside the pocket. (ditto jet sweeps). Ie. foot speed. That is where I see the biggest difference between us & them (champs).

Davenport would be extremely interesting - if he has that mentality he'd be beast. Never seen him on that side.

I've always felt we've been fairly stout on the D line vs. the run, but subpar vs. the pass. Meaning our weakness is rushing the passer, or chasing him outside the pocket. (ditto jet sweeps). Ie. foot speed. That is where I see the biggest difference between us & them (champs).

Davenport would be extremely interesting - if he has that mentality he'd be beast. Never seen him on that side.
Yea I agree we are always pretty tough upfront. I didn’t mean to sound like I was knocking anyone in the past. I just seen the size of those two and I’m just like book ends right there with Big Mike in the middle. I’ve seen Davenport play end a little but never at the size he’s currently at. Kid is huge! And that’s where I agree with you pass rush! Get our best guys out there on the edge and get to the QB! Now I’m not sure what that would all look like but I’m pretty sure we have the kids to get creative this year. I know Clark will be on one of those edges I’m pretty sure and we have a lot of other guys we could do a lot of different things with. I like Card a lot as well, maybe stand him up and let him loose as well maybe? Carman is back and I’m looking forward to seeing what Vito can do and he also got a lot bigger from last year already. He’s 6’3 and approaching 200 LBs. We will be tough in the middle with Pringle and Fair. We can find some depth behind those two. And then the secondary is going to be the key. I’m just excited about the opportunities that can be there for this team defensively. I think this team as the potential to strike real fear in opponents this year. Time will tell. And one thing I’ve learned with Nate Moore’s teams…they get better on defense as the year goes on. Last year was a prime example of that. I’m very impatient lol and I do get aggravated with it but we’ve been really good since 2017. I just want to see this school win one on the field so bad for so many reasons that I can’t stand it. Each year that goes by is another year that some will never see it be done the way we want to. I’m hoping this year they can find a way

He played a lot of Defense as a freshman and seemed pretty good on that side.

I agree it would be nice to see what he could do on D but i can’t imagine him playing anywhere but TE this season unless we get into some serious injury issues.

That would be unfortunate. Can’t expect to win big by not playing your best players as much as possible.
Agreed. Our best need to play both ways, as much as possible. I don’t know exactly how that will shake out but I agree. Just because they would start doesn’t mean they play the entire game. Manage their reps. The reason I even brought it up is because we threw Nolan one pass last year. I don’t know if that changes this year or not. Again I’m just throwing things out there

Last edited:
That would be unfortunate. Can’t expect to win big by not playing your best players as much as possible.
I agree 100% and I hope that Davenport gets some looks this summer on D, I was saying that based on the past 5-7 years I know they don’t like to use guys both ways, which I have never understood. Also he better get at least 20 passes thrown to him this year !

I agree 100% and I hope that Davenport gets some looks this summer on D, I was saying that based on the past 5-7 years I know they don’t like to use guys both ways, which I have never understood. Also he better get at least 20 passes thrown to him this year !
You’re right they try to limit players going both ways. And I agree throw him the ball the kid is huge! Big target that can help move the chains!

If they are going to keep him on offense only then they HAVE to use him as a passing threat. If not, and egregious waste of ability like that should be a fireable offense.

Like last year 🤦🏻‍♂️
Can't imagine being an 180lb safety or even a 200 lb LB and seeing that dude running at me... I'd being looking for some of my buddies to bail me out. He already had elite size as a soph.. another year in the weight room and he could be scary...I kind of hope they bag the H-Back thing and put him on the line.. he can still be effective as a blocker but also quicker to get into his route. While were at it, gamble needs to be on the field as some sort of slot WR/Wide back hybrid..They just have too many weapons not to utitlize them (Toles, Wells etc)...throw in those couple soph's for depth at the skill positions... No reason to run Power 75% anymore

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn’t quite know what they had with him going into next year and then by the time they did it was hard to integrate the TE pass into the offense. Pretty lame excuse but I’ll be nice lol
Not really lame, it's actually a very good point because of his age they probably didn't want to make him a focal point.. However as the year went on they could have added a few TE drags or bubble screens etc.. not complicated, just get the ball in his hands.. no reason not to throw to him 4-5 games....He's a pretty big target as we all know...

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn’t quite know what they had with him going into next year and then by the time they did it was hard to integrate the TE pass into the offense. Pretty lame excuse but I’ll be nice lol
I won’t be as nice because we all know a good TE in HS is next to impossible to cover especially if you already have a couple of decent WR’s and we have barely used the TE in this offense at all. By week 5-6 they knew what they had in both of them which is of course why they both had 12 receptions in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. 🙄

I won’t be as nice because we all know a good TE in HS is next to impossible to cover especially if you already have a couple of decent WR’s and we have barely used the TE in this offense at all. By week 5-6 they knew what they had in both of them which is of course why they both had 12 receptions in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. 🙄
Throwing to the TE has been neglected at Massillon since Owens was the coach for that matter throwing over the middle has been few and far between since Shepas.

I’m telling you our boys got big! I’ve seen some of them recently and I’m just like wow. And yes please for the love of god throw the ball to our TE’s this year. Davenport is already seeing D1 interest so he can clearly move well on top of that 6’6 255 pound frame. As I said earlier Bond is 6’4 and 256. I’m really curious to see how Kendal Thomas has developed so far. He’s tall 6’4/5 not sure about his weight though. Regardless some big boys right there. Let’s hope they continue to develop and use these guys in our passing attack and not just extra offensive lineman

Status
Not open for further replies.