2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly we have options on O.
It’s gonna come down to the defense if it can stop the run and at least “Hold their own” against the D1 caliber offensive lines.
I thought they held their own against Ed’s who has 3 linemen committed to Ohio st and Michigan. They even held their own for stretches of the Hoban game. Difference was that the offense put points and yards up against Ed’s allowing the defense to not be on the field the whole game

I thought they held their own against Ed’s who has 3 linemen committed to Ohio st and Michigan. They even held their own for stretches of the Hoban game. Difference was that the offense put points and yards up against Ed’s allowing the defense to not be on the field the whole game
I totally agree with you but the piggyback off of what you said is I feel like when we play teams like Hoban we have to open up the playbook I feel like we get complacent throughout the whole season with sticking to whatever is working and normally that's the power run game and that's cool and all but I feel like when you play a team like open you have to be able to open up the playbook and throw different looks and different schemes at them in order to neutralize their aggressive defense. We have playmakers all over our roster and we have to use every single one of them to get over the hump to actually beat them because we all know in order to get to the state championship we have to go through them to get there or go through them to win the state championship. I'm okay with our deep shots but I feel like we have to start running more schemes like mesh, smash, and a lot of halfback screens because Akron hoban is very aggressive and you have to be able to use their aggressiveness against them which I think this year should actually change if we actually have a quarterback that can run the RPO game will make it a lot easier for us to be able to put up points on a team like them because like i stated before if you watch a lot of Massillon's run plays it looks to be that the quarterback can keep it but most years we don't have a dual threat quarterback. Most teams that play against Massillon their defensive ends almost never stay home they always crash down because there's absolutely no threat of us having the quarterback keep it I forgot which game it was this year slaughter actually did keep it a couple times and had some success doing it because there was no containment on the other team's part which I understand as a defensive end you're supposed to stay home but if you watch on film a team almost 100% of the time just hands the ball off and they don't actually pull it I would do the same thing but I think if we can show that on film that we have the capability to be able to have some read options it will open up the offense and it will keep defenses at Bay

Hoban/Ed are tough to run on, for anyone. But passing game was on point vs. Ed. Highest output all season. Game plan and execution are huge. But defensively, ouch. Moe and Hoban did whatever they wanted - 500 yds +. Ed was 3rd. Dang privates...

Hoban/Ed are tough to run on, for anyone. But passing game was on point vs. Ed. Highest output all season. Game plan and execution are huge. But defensively, ouch. Moe and Hoban did whatever they wanted - 500 yds +. Ed was 3rd. Dang privates...
Yeah Moe was sluggish on both sides of the ball and they had the dudes to exploit every missed angle. The Ed’s game looked like we had a clear plan offensively and executed it. Against Hoban I have no idea what we were trying to do lol

Speaking on the defense yeah they definitely gave up some yards to Ed’s but tended to stiffen up and force long field goal attempts and got a few turnovers. That’s about all you can ask for when playing a team of that caliber. Against Hoban the defense had a handful of good stops but those were fewer and further between. The missed assignments on the play action TD passes were BRUTAL.

Agreed... So I see the one young man, the DB ended up at CCC, do we know where #99 ended up at or did he just decide not to play? He doesn't show up on Hudl anywhere as a landing spot.

I think they’ll be more than adequate against 90% of the teams we play. But they got manhandled against Hoban and it’s mostly all the same kids back
The one thing Hoban won’t have is Sperling which clearly we based our whole game plan on D to try and control him and they countered it perfectly with the play action pass and we had no answer and the game was essentially over with 4 min left in the 1st qtr.

I totally agree with you but the piggyback off of what you said is I feel like when we play teams like Hoban we have to open up the playbook I feel like we get complacent throughout the whole season with sticking to whatever is working and normally that's the power run game and that's cool and all but I feel like when you play a team like open you have to be able to open up the playbook and throw different looks and different schemes at them in order to neutralize their aggressive defense. We have playmakers all over our roster and we have to use every single one of them to get over the hump to actually beat them because we all know in order to get to the state championship we have to go through them to get there or go through them to win the state championship. I'm okay with our deep shots but I feel like we have to start running more schemes like mesh, smash, and a lot of halfback screens because Akron hoban is very aggressive and you have to be able to use their aggressiveness against them which I think this year should actually change if we actually have a quarterback that can run the RPO game will make it a lot easier for us to be able to put up points on a team like them because like i stated before if you watch a lot of Massillon's run plays it looks to be that the quarterback can keep it but most years we don't have a dual threat quarterback. Most teams that play against Massillon their defensive ends almost never stay home they always crash down because there's absolutely no threat of us having the quarterback keep it I forgot which game it was this year slaughter actually did keep it a couple times and had some success doing it because there was no containment on the other team's part which I understand as a defensive end you're supposed to stay home but if you watch on film a team almost 100% of the time just hands the ball off and they don't actually pull it I would do the same thing but I think if we can show that on film that we have the capability to be able to have some read options it will open up the offense and it will keep defenses at Bay
Agree 100% !!!
We have been saying this every offseason for the last 7-8 years and when the playoffs come along we feel like we have to run the ball 80% of the time and that’s fine against teams like Perry and Lake but when you get to the final 4 we aren’t going to be able to just line up and get 5 yds a carry. But damnit if we don’t try 🤦🏻‍♂️

We blitzed a lot more last year than normal. The problem was not generating any pass rush to speak of without sending extra rushers
Yea we did blitz more. And you’re right we didn’t get much of a rush with just our front. I assume we will have basically the same front minus one that’s why I figure we will have to get creative. Of course I’m getting at when it comes to better teams more than anything

Yea we did blitz more. And you’re right we didn’t get much of a rush with just our front. I assume we will have basically the same front minus one that’s why I figure we will have to get creative. Of course I’m getting at when it comes to better teams more than anything
The only problem with that is that good teams and good OCs will burn you if you start blitzing a ton

The only problem with that is that good teams and good OCs will burn you if you start blitzing a ton
I get that. It makes sense. But in our losses late in the year. Look at how many points we give up. It’s a lot over the last several years. So I was thinking what the heck if we’re going to give those points up why not take some chances on defense and try to create a turnover. So it would have to be timely and calculated

Do the Tigers have a shot at an OHSAA championship this year? Seems like they have a lot of the correct pieces in place to make a run? Should be an exciting season once again.

We have and have had enough vs. any public school in Ohio, all divisions. The top 3-4 D1/D2 private powers are in a league of their own. Is what it is will have to be flawless.

I get that. It makes sense. But in our losses late in the year. Look at how many points we give up. It’s a lot over the last several years. So I was thinking what the heck if we’re going to give those points up why not take some chances on defense and try to create a turnover. So it would have to be timely and calculated
Creating turnovers was not a strength last year. I can’t recall any of the starting players in the secondary getting an interception

Creating turnovers was not a strength last year. I can’t recall any of the starting players in the secondary getting an interception
That’s true. That wasn’t a very good secondary. My hope is we will have a different looking secondary to help aid in creating those turnovers. I know who id like to see back there but I’m not counting on any of it lol

We only had 6 int’s last year and the 1st one didn’t happen until week 8.

Clark - 2
Welch - 1
Vaughan - 1
Frazier - 1
Liebler - 1

Overall we were -7 in turnovers last year.

Can that new kid Louis play any secondary positions? We have been AWFUL against the pass for a couple years.
I’m sure he can as talented as he is. My hope is that they seriously reconsider some things in that secondary. I hate to be too critical of the players they’re still kids but they just weren’t very good last year. Hopefully it’s just wide open competition and that is how it gets decided. I don’t know if some of the staff will just go with what’s comfortable from last year? I also don’t know what they’re doing with Liebler. It’s going to be interesting because we have so many options at so many positions

Status
Not open for further replies.