2023 HS Season

Did anyone check out the Elder-Taylor scrimmage tonight?
I did not, but was told Elder won all 4 (not surprising, tbh) with the 1st set not close but got closer in subsequent sets as Elder rotated kids in. Was told Lanter and Niemann didn't play. Ran a 6-2 with Kelly and Voss with Kelly playing 6, Samuels at libero, Harvey at OH, Tierney at OH and Opp (?), Davis at OH, Tucker and James at MH. Have to think Lanter and Niemann factor in when they're back from whatever kept them out. Heard they looked athletic on the pins, but a little sloppy sometimes in serving and serve receive. Good experience for the young guys though, I'd assume.

Was told Taylor has some good athletes who are decent players. Roster a lot smaller than Elder's. Lacking in consistency, size and awareness sometimes, but that's to be expected I'd say. I doubt they have a single kid that plays club so who knows how many offseason touches those kids get. They're only entering year 4 or 5 I believe and the school isn't very big, so I hope they can continue to get kids to come out and grow public school volleyball on that side of town. It's really only Taylor and Oak Hills on the westside. I know they have a BWAC program so if they keep interest up, it could pay off at some point. Good luck to both teams this season.

Who are your top 5 in each region for D1? How about a team that will be better than people think?

Southwest Predictions:

1. X
2. Moe
3. Walnut
4. Elder
5. Centerville

Surprise: Lakota East

Northeast:

1. Ignatius
2. Hudson
3. Ed’s
4. Jackson
5. Brecksville

Surprise: Firestone

Central:

1. Liberty
2. Mount Vernon
3. Jerome
4. Berlin
5. Kilbourne

Surprise: Westerville North
Remove Ed's from this list. They lost to Stow on Friday in 3 sets. Hearing JV coach took over program. Lot's of changes made. Anyone have insight?

Also, as I am recalling, there doesnt seem to be a one stop shop for scores, so please post all the scores here as you see them. I feel like it will be a lot harder to keep track of teams this year

Looks like MTV’s box scores were the only ones posted at the MTV Quad last Saturday on MaxPreps. Add that in with what TenRing’s posted above:

Moeller def. MTV 25-23, 25-21, 25-23
MTV def. St. Charles 26-24, 25-14, 30-28
MTV def. SVSM 21-25, 25-20, 25-20, 25-22
Moeller def. SVSM 3-0
Moeller def. St. Charles 3-1

Elder with the 3-0 win over Lasalle Friday night. While Hausfeld looked to be the best hitter on the court, Elder led the way with a very balanced attack. Elder plays a very good defense, led by Samuels at libero. Elder may be a little down this year but they will battle to the last point. Lasalle needs more help for Hausfeld to have a more balanced attack.

Elder with the 3-0 win over Lasalle Friday night. While Hausfeld looked to be the best hitter on the court, Elder led the way with a very balanced attack. Elder plays a very good defense, led by Samuels at libero. Elder may be a little down this year but they will battle to the last point. Lasalle needs more help for Hausfeld to have a more balanced attack.
Hausfeld would undoubtedly be the best hitter on the court for almost every team in the state

Did you think I wasn't giving Hausfeld enough credit? Great match but the other Big 3 teams in Cincinnati have hitters that would argue against your statement.
Both right. Probably a short list of Moeller, Liberty, and arguably X and Ignatius. Maybe Mt Vernon as well.

Did you think I wasn't giving Hausfeld enough credit? Great match but the other Big 3 teams in Cincinnati have hitters that would argue against your statement.
I was just making a statement based on how talented I think he is. Nothing more or less than that. I also said “almost” not “all”

Last edited:
DC35A9DE-FB0D-4EDE-B67C-F82F981C1155.jpeg

One of Ignatius’ setters broke his wrist or something to that effect in set 4 against X. Tough break, hope he’s ok.

Good match at Elder tonight! Moeller wins in 4 with Elder taking the first set 25-20, and Moe winning the next 3 25-22, 25-22, 25-22. Moeller struggled to pass in the first set so they brought in freshman phenom Tyler Wong at libero the rest of the way. Elder passes the ball well but struggles to get kills at times. The return of OH2 from last years team, Bradley Lanter, should help in that department in the next couple of weeks. Moeller just has too much size for Elder at this point.

Good match at Elder tonight! Moeller wins in 4 with Elder taking the first set 25-20, and Moe winning the next 3 25-22, 25-22, 25-22. Moeller struggled to pass in the first set so they brought in freshman phenom Tyler Wong at libero the rest of the way. Elder passes the ball well but struggles to get kills at times. The return of OH2 from last years team, Bradley Lanter, should help in that department in the next couple of weeks. Moeller just has too much size for Elder at this point.
They also switched up their starting MH2. Not sure of names, but they subbed him in set 3 against X. Thought he played pretty well. Looks like he’s their guy for a while.

Saw on the Elder forum that they lost to Beavercreek in 3 this morning. 25-14, 25-22, 25-17. Beavercreek has a very solid program and has for awhile now, but this loss with these scores is shocking to me given how tight the match last night with Moeller was.