2023 HS Season

I also have to wonder how many new schools will actually be fielding teams. Saying you're interested in doing so or registering to do so is a lot different than actually being able to field a team for an entire season. I hope that most schools are looking into starting grade school programs ASAP to help build a foundation.

I also have to wonder how many new schools will actually be fielding teams. Saying you're interested in doing so or registering to do so is a lot different than actually being able to field a team for an entire season. I hope that most schools are looking into starting grade school programs ASAP to help build a foundation.
Matt Mihelic is spearheading a state-wide boys youth volleyball league/program. Last I saw he needed local "flag-bearers" for each region. I know there are a lot of good vball minds here who could help. Hopefully it can help build out the grade schools across the state.

Matt Mihelic is spearheading a state-wide boys youth volleyball league/program. Last I saw he needed local "flag-bearers" for each region. I know there are a lot of good vball minds here who could help. Hopefully it can help build out the grade schools across the state.
"Needing" and actually getting "flag bearers" is about a million miles apart. I know in the Cincinnati area, it has been very difficult to maintain the BWAC. Everyone thinks there should be a league but very few are willing to step up to make it happen. Keep in mind this is in an already established, competitive league. Imagine the frustration of starting leagues from scratch. It will be very difficult.

I did not see Little Miami listed; perhaps missed it. I thought McLaughlin would start the program there.

I did not see Little Miami listed; perhaps missed it. I thought McLaughlin would start the program there.
I don’t think they’re listed. I believe there was a cut off in June to declare if a school was interested in fielding a team. No idea if that means it’s too late for the 2023 season or not.

"Needing" and actually getting "flag bearers" is about a million miles apart. I know in the Cincinnati area, it has been very difficult to maintain the BWAC. Everyone thinks there should be a league but very few are willing to step up to make it happen. Keep in mind this is in an already established, competitive league. Imagine the frustration of starting leagues from scratch. It will be very difficult.
Believe me, I know.

But that's the reality for growing our game at the youth level.

Just thought of something funny. Liberty’s last three playoff matches of the season all saw them hold their opponent to single digits in one of the sets. Still can’t get over that Moeller win.

It’s very difficult to compete at the national level as the current 4 person rule sits. I will be almost impossible for Ohio club teams to compete nationally next season.
I’m interested to see how teams shake out at Op/Attack/Vanguard and A2. It’s a very talented senior class. Could this years seniors try to form a super team like Vanguard did a few years ago?
Someone please explain section 7 with special attention to section 7.3.1. Did OHSAA limit people from the same high school team playing for a club team to 3 people?

OHSAA General Sports Regulations

You would be ineligible to play high school volleyball. Not sure if it’s all 4 players but I believe it would.

I talked to one of the ESP Media commentators recently and he said that since he’s last heard they’re only set to cover this season for the transition to OHSAA. Could be OHSAA has another company to cover playoffs after that, could be the unfortunate alternative. I really wish the OSHBVA board still existed and simply worked under the OHSAA so that we didn’t have these massive, in my opinion, negative effects.

I talked to one of the ESP Media commentators recently and he said that since he’s last heard they’re only set to cover this season for the transition to OHSAA. Could be OHSAA has another company to cover playoffs after that, could be the unfortunate alternative. I really wish the OSHBVA board still existed and simply worked under the OHSAA so that we didn’t have these massive, in my opinion, negative effects.
Would be nice if they did that, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That was the double-edged sword of sanctioning. Get more teams and boys playing, but lose the control from people with boys volleyball interests at heart.

Girls travel volleyball only allows 3 per school on the team. This definitely hurts the area of the state where I'm from. Some schools have 6-8 easy good girls and only 3 can be in the team. From what I've heard only a could of states go by this rule.

Girls travel volleyball only allows 3 per school on the team. This definitely hurts the area of the state where I'm from. Some schools have 6-8 easy good girls and only 3 can be in the team. From what I've heard only a could have states go by this rule.
Yeah I obviously understand the rationale behind a cap, but I don’t really think anything is achieved by lowering it from 4 to 3.

Some news about the season I found a little surprising. Darby will be back in the Centerville Elite 8.
They should be better this year. Setter, Libero, Middle, Right Side and OH2 all back. Wouldn't expect them to be top of the East/Central (still weird making that adjustment) region, but they should be stronger than previous years. I still like Liberty, Mount Vernon, Berlin, Olentangy, Kilbourne, Jerome a lot- even though Jerome lost their setter.

They should be better this year. Setter, Libero, Middle, Right Side and OH2 all back. Wouldn't expect them to be top of the East/Central (still weird making that adjustment) region, but they should be stronger than previous years. I still like Liberty, Mount Vernon, Berlin, Olentangy, Kilbourne, Jerome a lot- even though Jerome lost their setter.
Assuming Liberty returns, I’d rather have seen Berlin or Mt Vernon as the 2nd Central team

Some news about the season I found a little surprising. Darby will be back in the Centerville Elite 8.
Who all is attending the Centerville elite 8 tournament this upcoming season?