2023 HS Season

MatchPoint

Just gonna get this started early. Any speculation over future teams can go here, any reflection on last season can go in the old forum.

So who do we think takes over at LaSalle? Or who possibly could? Like Falcon said, there’s some talented pieces there to work with. If OHSAA adds all the teams it seems poised to add and then splits into 3 divisions, I imagine LaSalle would stay D2 since all other sports compete at the D2 level and it stands to reason they should still be able to compete for state.

So who do we think takes over at LaSalle? Or who possibly could? Like Falcon said, there’s some talented pieces there to work with. If OHSAA adds all the teams it seems poised to add and then splits into 3 divisions, I imagine LaSalle would stay D2 since all other sports compete at the D2 level and it stands to reason they should still be able to compete for state.
I was trying to think of LaSalle alumni, but can’t come up with any who are currently coaching.

This kind of brings up an interesting point, though. All these schools adding MVB hopefully, but who’s going to coach? Already seems like coaches are hard to come by for some programs.

Also, the reffing shortage will be even worse with additional teams.

Good problems to have, though!

I was trying to think of LaSalle alumni, but can’t come up with any who are currently coaching.

This kind of brings up an interesting point, though. All these schools adding MVB hopefully, but who’s going to coach? Already seems like coaches are hard to come by for some programs.

Also, the reffing shortage will be even worse with additional teams.

Good problems to have, though!
Now that I’m thinking about it, the overall quality of Ohio HS volleyball is going to take a nose dive for 5-6 years or so. We’re used to new programs not being too good for a while, but the influx of freebie teams this coming year is going to be rough for a little bit.

Now that I’m thinking about it, the overall quality of Ohio HS volleyball is going to take a nose dive for 5-6 years or so. We’re used to new programs not being too good for a while, but the influx of freebie teams this coming year is going to be rough for a little bit.
Most likely, but it should pay dividends in the long run. Hopefully, in the Cincy/Cleveland/Dayton areas, it'll mean more stability for more club teams to co-exist with the ones that have been around. And hopefully it'll mean some club teams from the Akron and Toledo areas as well.

Some early GCL potential lineups. Feel free to add. Moeller and X will have some really good battles next year with Elder in a rebuild year and having some spots wide open

Moeller
S - Marcum
OH - Hagerty
OH - Patterson/Dollard/Todd
MH - Threm
MH - Patterson/?
OPP - Geselbracht
L - ??

Elder
S - Voss
S - Kelly
OH - Lanter
OH - Tierney/Davis?
MH - ?
MH - ?
OPP - ?
OPP - ?
L - Harvey

X
S - Tran
S - Berkemeier
OH - Meyer
OH - Tressler
MH - Jones
MH - Terrell/Shields
OPP - Pung
OPP - Terrell/Shields
L - Stewart

I think it depends. There have been some newer schools to get relevant pretty quickly. Matters more about the coaching, development, recruiting, etc.

Some early GCL potential lineups. Feel free to add. Moeller and X will have some really good battles next year with Elder in a rebuild year and having some spots wide open

Moeller
S - Marcum
OH - Hagerty
MH - Threm
MH - Patterson/?
OPP - Geselbracht
L - ??

Elder
S - Voss
S - Kelly
OH - Lanter
OH - Tierney/Davis?
MH - ?
MH - ?
OPP - ?
OPP - ?
L - Harvey

X
S - Tran
S - Berkemeier
OH - Meyer
OH - Tressler
MH - Jones
MH - Terrell/Shields
OPP - Pung
OPP - Terrell/Shields
L - Stewart
Scary looking for Elder.

If Samuels does come back to play next year, that would be a big boost and give Elder the best ball control in the state. That's obviously still an unknown at this point though

At what point do you pull up a few extra sophomores to prepare for the future? Outside of Lanter, Harvey and Voss, i dont see their senior class providing many more contributors.

Tough to see Davis playing 6 rotations. He may fall in as an OPP. Wouldnt be surprised if Harvey gets a chance at being a 6 rotation outside on this team. Probable between him and Tierney. Loser becomes libero (all this assuming Samuels is out).

Their middle situation will be tough.. Niemann (Attack 16 Red) and James (Attack 15 Black) were their JV starting middles.

Also, crazy to see that the back to back defending champs basically lose nothing...
Losing Wong is going to hurt. Whoever replaces him most likely won't be close to his level. Losing him and Renneker could be tough for the defense/serve receive. I could maybe see them struggling there, but that's about it lol

Losing Wong is going to hurt. Whoever replaces him most likely won't be close to his level. Losing him and Renneker could be tough for the defense/serve receive. I could maybe see them struggling there, but that's about it lol
Totally agree. When Moe struggled this year it was due to their defense. That may there only question mark next year.

Moeller
S - Marcum
OH - Hagerty
MH - Threm
MH - Patterson/?
OPP - Geselbracht
L - ??

Elder
S - Voss
S - Kelly
OH - Lanter
OH - Tierney/Davis?
MH - ?
MH - ?
OPP - ?
OPP - ?
L - Harvey

X
S - Tran
S - Berkemeier
OH - Meyer
OH - Tressler
MH - Jones
MH - Terrell/Shields
OPP - Pung
OPP - Terrell/Shields
L - Stewart
You have to think that X is only going to keep getting better with almost all of their starters coming back/playing club and they just lost in 5 in the regional final to the state champ. I'd also throw Krebs and the other Berkemeier in there are two guys who could push for some playing time. X and Moe are both loaded though and have tons of options. Hopefully some of the guys at Moe (Patterson) and X (Meyer, Pung, Berk twins) who currently play at Vanguard, OP, etc. might go to Attack to play with the majority of their teammates during club season and get in-sync early because those two are gonna be neck and neck next year.

Elder's gonna be tough to figure out. Lanter and Harvey are surefire starters with Voss likely being part of a 6-2 with Kelly, but I feel like it might be best to just go all-in on a youth movement in 2023 and get juniors and sophomores a lot of playing time where you can. I know it's not the usual MO for Tierney, but never too late to change how things are done. If they go with what they usually do and certain seniors and juniors are getting a lot of time, it could be a long season. It'll likely be a longer than usual season anyways with X and Moe having what they have, but why not get those young guys experience and get excited for the future?

Tried to do some more digging on Walnut Hills and the returners they have. Something like this

S - Limoco
OH - Wheatley
OH - Tombragel
MH - Moyer
MH - ? (Maybe Wilkins returns?)
OPP - ?
L - Dinardo

Tried to do some more digging on Walnut Hills and the returners they have. Something like this

S - Limoco
OH - Wheatley
OH - Tombragel
MH - Moyer
MH - ? (Maybe Wilkins returns?)
OPP - ?
L - Dinardo
I think it'd be more likely you see Dinardo at Opp and Swift at L, like they did at the beginning of this past season. With Smith-Trondle gone, I'd expect a big drop-off regardless.

I think it'd be more likely you see Dinardo at Opp and Swift at L, like they did at the beginning of this past season. With Smith-Trondle gone, I'd expect a big drop-off regardless.
I could see DiNardo setting as well, with Swift at Libero. If they can just set a semi-consistent outside and pipe ball, the drop off may not be too bad. Wheatley and Tombragel can do a lot in S/R and defensively to get balls up, if the setter can just get the balls back to them they'll still be pretty tough. I could still see them being top 10 in the state, and could see them being #3 in the region after X and Moe.

They had an OP kid, Barrett Wade at Opp this year - he was a soph I think. They also played a freshman at OH after Smith-Trondle got hurt in the St X match when Wheatley started setting. And hopefully Wilkins returns for them in the middle. Still weird that he didn't play this year.

You have to think that X is only going to keep getting better with almost all of their starters coming back/playing club and they just lost in 5 in the regional final to the state champ. I'd also throw Krebs and the other Berkemeier in there are two guys who could push for some playing time. X and Moe are both loaded though and have tons of options. Hopefully some of the guys at Moe (Patterson) and X (Meyer, Pung, Berk twins) who currently play at Vanguard, OP, etc. might go to Attack to play with the majority of their teammates during club season and get in-sync early because those two are gonna be neck and neck next year.

Elder's gonna be tough to figure out. Lanter and Harvey are surefire starters with Voss likely being part of a 6-2 with Kelly, but I feel like it might be best to just go all-in on a youth movement in 2023 and get juniors and sophomores a lot of playing time where you can. I know it's not the usual MO for Tierney, but never too late to change how things are done. If they go with what they usually do and certain seniors and juniors are getting a lot of time, it could be a long season. It'll likely be a longer than usual season anyways with X and Moe having what they have, but why not get those young guys experience and get excited for the future?
I think they have no choice but go to the youth movement, but as you all have said, that's not typical of Tierney. However, his son being one of the younger guys could help sway him. I also agree that Harvey could be OH2 even without Samuels returning. Looks to be tough for them compared to what Elder is used to.

The OHSAA impact on divisions will be something to watch. Already have seen Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin are moving from D2 to D1 in football. DeSales is moving from D2 to D1 in basketball. Presumably those teams would shift to D1 for volleyball as well?

I understand the argument for divisions, but the fan in me would love to see D2 teams like Alter, Badin, St Charles etc. compete in D1.

The OHSAA impact on divisions will be something to watch. Already have seen Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin are moving from D2 to D1 in football. DeSales is moving from D2 to D1 in basketball. Presumably those teams would shift to D1 for volleyball as well?

I understand the argument for divisions, but the fan in me would love to see D2 teams like Alter, Badin, St Charles etc. compete in D1.
Those teams usually schedule some good D1 teams. Alter and Badin lose a lot, so think both might be rebuilding next year. Who knows if Brockman will even be there anymore with Anitra leaving. I’ll be interested to see if enough new teams are formed to go to 3 divisions right away or if it’ll stay at 2 for now.

Wittenberg is hosting a summer tournament for high school teams on July 29. I’m not sure of the complete team list, but know the following teams are going:

East- Berlin, Kilbourne, Jerome, Thomas, Pick North, DeSales, New Albany, St Charles

West- Beavercreek, CJ, Lakota East

North- Firestone

South- Walnut Hills, Roger Bacon, McNick

I’m only really familiar with the East teams but Berlin, Kilbourne, Jerome and Desales would all be in my favorites to win it.

If that is the full list, I would say DeSales or Walnut are the favorites
Agreed, assuming both have all their weapons. Hard to tell with these summer scrimmages who will be full strength. Will be interesting to see Walnut’s outsides with a new setter. Spectators are allowed, so that may be a fun event to go check out!

Just read a Columbus Dispatch article that says the number of teams is jumping from 92 in 2022 to 186 in 2023. Staying at 2 divisions for now.

Cool article. Thanks for sharing.

No mention on if they will continue with 1 or 2 state qualifiers from each region, which I think was really the biggest question mark when moving to OHSAA

Intending to have close to double the number of participating teams is great. Very curious where the coaches come from and how many of the programs actually get enough kids to tryout and field a team

Cool article. Thanks for sharing.

No mention on if they will continue with 1 or 2 state qualifiers from each region, which I think was really the biggest question mark when moving to OHSAA

Intending to have close to double the number of participating teams is great. Very curious where the coaches come from and how many of the programs actually get enough kids to tryout and field a team
I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the schools that plan on playing, aren't able to end up playing in 2023 and have to drum up interest for a year or two before being able to field a team.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the schools that plan on playing, aren't able to end up playing in 2023 and have to drum up interest for a year or two before being able to field a team.
I agree. Logistics are going to be a nightmare. I wonder if womens volleyball coaches will end up coaching both in a lot of schools for a while.