2023 HS Season

D2 cross region TRI Saturday. Appears to put DeSales as the solid #1. DeSales beats SVSM in 3, SVSM beats Fenwick in 3, DeSales beats Fenwick in 4.

What were the changes?
Basically just moved Patterson to OH2 in set 3 and had Ernst/Sauer middles. I would be surprised if this is a permanent change but I do find it kinda funny of them adopting the just put your biggest hitters at outside and let them bomb. Obviously there's a lot more to it than just that but still cool to see it work

Basically just moved Patterson to OH2 in set 3 and had Ernst/Sauer middles. I would be surprised if this is a permanent change but I do find it kinda funny of them adopting the just put your biggest hitters at outside and let them bomb. Obviously there's a lot more to it than just that but still cool to see it work
Pretty sure they tried Patterson at OH early last year before moving him back to the middle. Didn't look comfortable out there, maybe he could handle it this year. If so, look out!

Pretty sure they tried Patterson at OH early last year before moving him back to the middle. Didn't look comfortable out there, maybe he could handle it this year. If so, look out!
For what it’s worth, somewhere in there, he battled through (and was limited) due to an upper body injury.

I am curious to see Moe v St X again next Friday. Season is past the halfway point already.

Does anyone know why Meyer for X only played 1 of the sets against Darby? Looking at some of the stats on Maxpreps and that stood out to me. Came back against Liberty and played all 3 . Anyone that was there able to elaborate if something happened?

Hopefully the Haggerty injury is short-term. Would be a big blow to Moeller who is still trying to figure out there best lineup

Does anyone know why Meyer for X only played 1 of the sets against Darby? Looking at some of the stats on Maxpreps and that stood out to me. Came back against Liberty and played all 3 . Anyone that was there able to elaborate if something happened?

Hopefully the Haggerty injury is short-term. Would be a big blow to Moeller who is still trying to figure out there best lineup
Can’t speak to the Meyer thing, but I saw the Haggerty injury and it was a rolled ankle. Bad enough to not play for the day, but I’m sure he’ll be fine.

You know what, looking back over the film it looks like Ferris was resting Meyer against Darby, which was fine when they were up 2-0 in sets, but then Darby pushed it to a 5th so he put Meyer in. Nice catch. Ferris probably didn’t see Darby as a legit opponent and it almost caught up to him.

Sycamore beats #4 rodger bacon D2 in 5 last night and beats #7 elder D1 tonight in 5 thoughts?
They play walnut hills tomorrow
Walsh is very good, and they have a right side who is hitting very well. Not sure where he came from! Some good pieces around them as well.

Sycamore looking likely to 3-peat as GMC champs.

Tomorrow night vs Walnut could be entertaining - Walnut just lost to Elder over the weekend. So does Sycamore get the early nod?

Walsh is very good, and they have a right side who is hitting very well. Not sure where he came from! Some good pieces around them as well.

Sycamore looking likely to 3-peat as GMC champs.

Tomorrow night vs Walnut could be entertaining - Walnut just lost to Elder over the weekend. So does Sycamore get the early nod?
I would say they are the favorites against WH, yes. Sycamore is solid, but in my mind their win over Elder says more about Elder than Sycamore. I think it is just not Elder's year.

I would say they are the favorites against WH, yes. Sycamore is solid, but in my mind their win over Elder says more about Elder than Sycamore. I think it is just not Elder's year.
Last year most people (myself included) assumed Walnut would be the best of the Cincinnati public schools, but now we're saying Sycamore is the favorite. haha

Also, Hudson with a convincing 3-0 win over St Ignatius tonight up north.

I'm loving how wide open things are this year!

Agreed, Elder is now 8-6 on the year. Still waiting for Lanter to return, hopefully soon enough to get enough reps to be playoff ready and dangerous. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle with his return.

Agreed, Elder is now 8-6 on the year. Still waiting for Lanter to return, hopefully soon enough to get enough reps to be playoff ready and dangerous. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle with his return.
I know he’s young, but I feel like Tierney should have a role where he’s not coming out very much, if at all. Get the 2 sophomore big guys reps at both MH and Opp, let Tierney play 6 rotation outside along with Harvey until Lanter returns

I know he’s young, but I feel like Tierney should have a role where he’s not coming out very much, if at all. Get the 2 sophomore big guys reps at both MH and Opp, let Tierney play 6 rotation outside along with Harvey until Lanter returns
Do you think Tierney could be afraid of playing his son over juniors and seniors because of the optics?

Do you think Tierney could be afraid of playing his son over juniors and seniors because of the optics?
Could be the case. I know in the GCL it seems pretty rare for sophomores to get varsity time, Couple more losses though and I doubt anyone would fault him.

Last year most people (myself included) assumed Walnut would be the best of the Cincinnati public schools, but now we're saying Sycamore is the favorite. haha

Also, Hudson with a convincing 3-0 win over St Ignatius tonight up north.

I'm loving how wide open things are this year!
St Ignatius played like rubbish. They need their OH and Setter back.

Sycamore with a W over Walnut. Could have easily gone either way. Some poor officiating that affected both teams, and I hate the JV parents line judging Varsity matches. Not faulting them, tough job for inexperienced people - but man it can be rough to watch.

The Aves just won three 5-set matches on back-to-back-to-back nights. They have a lefty OPP who hits the out of the ball, and of course they have Walsh as well who can take over. He passes, blocks the whole net, swings out of back row, etc. The OPP kid was a pleasant surprise!

Sycamore with a W over Walnut. Could have easily gone either way. Some poor officiating that affected both teams, and I hate the JV parents line judging Varsity matches. Not faulting them, tough job for inexperienced people - but man it can be rough to watch.

The Aves just won three 5-set matches on back-to-back-to-back nights. They have a lefty OPP who hits the out of the ball, and of course they have Walsh as well who can take over. He passes, blocks the whole net, swings out of back row, etc. The OPP kid was a pleasant surprise!
They look good! They beat 3 top 10 teams this week will be fun to watch all year

Haven't seen any state rankings posted on here recently. Feel free to comment on mine or add your own below. Keeping Elder and Ignatius in despite some rough losses due to injuries. Will be back near these rankings when players return

Right now I think any of the top 5 teams could win state. Outside of that group I don't give them much chance to win it all in D1.

1. St. Xavier
2. Olentangy Liberty
3. Moeller
4. Beavercreek
5. Hilliard Darby
6. Dublin Jerome
7. Ignatius
8. Elder
9. Sycamore
10. Hudson

Haven't seen any state rankings posted on here recently. Feel free to comment on mine or add your own below. Keeping Elder and Ignatius in despite some rough losses due to injuries. Will be back near these rankings when players return

Right now I think any of the top 5 teams could win state. Outside of that group I don't give them much chance to win it all in D1.

1. St. Xavier
2. Olentangy Liberty
3. Moeller
4. Beavercreek
5. Hilliard Darby
6. Dublin Jerome
7. Ignatius
8. Elder
9. Sycamore
10. Hudson
Get Hudson out of the top 10. Their opponent record is 26-31. They play a weak schedule - to name a few they swept Strongsville (1-8), Cuyahoga Falls (0-6) and Roosevelt (3-5). Their only quality win was against an injured St. Ignatius team. The true test will be this weekend against Centerville, MTV, and Berlin. Looking to the weeks ahead their weak schedule continues with matches against Medina, Nordonia, Chardon - all should be easy 3-0 sweeps. Maybe this is a result of few good teams in the North? And if we compare Hudson to #9 Sycamore we can see #9 opponent record is 28-29, unlike Hudson Sycamore plays quality opponents consistently like Roger Bacon (8-2), Elder (9-6). The 2023 state champ will come from the one of the top 4 teams.

What is the deal with Hudson? You say they beat an injured ignatius team because they were “rubbish”. Elder lost to ignatius in 5 with the same “injured” lineup. Other teams amongst the south have histories of being good programs so why would they want to schedule Hudson who has just recently become a top team? That doesn’t disregard Hudson’s recent performance against ignatius.

Get Hudson out of the top 10. Their opponent record is 26-31. They play a weak schedule - to name a few they swept Strongsville (1-8), Cuyahoga Falls (0-6) and Roosevelt (3-5). Their only quality win was against an injured St. Ignatius team. The true test will be this weekend against Centerville, MTV, and Berlin. Looking to the weeks ahead their weak schedule continues with matches against Medina, Nordonia, Chardon - all should be easy 3-0 sweeps. Maybe this is a result of few good teams in the North? And if we compare Hudson to #9 Sycamore we can see #9 opponent record is 28-29, unlike Hudson Sycamore plays quality opponents consistently like Roger Bacon (8-2), Elder (9-6). The 2023 state champ will come from the one of the top 4 teams.
Seems a bit harsh. You can’t help the conference you’re in (if that applies here) and it’d be quite a chore to try and schedule a bunch of Central or South region teams. Give the kids some grace.

1. St. Xavier
2. Olentangy Liberty
3. Moeller
4. Beavercreek
5. Hilliard Darby
6. Dublin Jerome
7. Ignatius
8. Elder
9. Sycamore
10. Hudson
No Mt. Vernon?

No Mt. Vernon?
That was the first thing I noticed. They’ve lost to X, Moe, and Liberty, but were very competitive in each. The loss vs Darby was without their setter. Another MTV vs Liberty regional final this year is the most likely matchup imo unless Berlin can prove otherwise in the quad today.

E: Also we’ll have a good measure of Hudson after this quad.

Scores reported from the MTV quad:

MTV def. Berlin 25-22, 17-25, 17-25, 25-23, 17-15
Berlin def. Centerville 25-12, 25-18, 25-22
Hudson def. MTV 25-21, 25-22, 25-13
Hudson def. Berlin 26-24, 25-15, 25-17
MTV def. Centerville 25-16, 25-11, 25-20
Hudson ? Centerville

Very impressive from Hudson.

Those scores are seriously impressive from the Explorers. Unless Ignatius gets healthy and can knock them off, I don’t see them losing in the regular season.