2023 Bengals

bengals lose a STUD running back today...
Not really.

Perine was a backup for a reason.

I didn't expect him back. I had him pegged at $4M a year which is pretty close to what he got. Even if you cut Mixon, which they should, you would have had $8M in cap money at RB and a backup as your starter.

They should just rework Mixon's deal and draft a RB.

Surprised. I thought they would jettison Mixon and keep Perine. IMO he was the better back this season. He always seemed to gain another yard or two after contact.

Last edited:
Surprised. I thought they would jettison Mixon and keep Perine. IMO he was the better back this season. He always seemed to gain another yard or two after contact.
i thought the same thing, Perine ran hard as any back in the league, felt he was a better blocker then Mixon too....

Not really.

Perine was a backup for a reason.

I didn't expect him back. I had him pegged at $4M a year which is pretty close to what he got. Even if you cut Mixon, which they should, you would have had $8M in cap money at RB and a backup as your starter.

They should just rework Mixon's deal and draft a RB.
it's good to have TWO good running backs on your team.... I'm going to miss HUNT on the browns, thought he was a perfect 1B running back to Chubb, But HUnt wants paid... and his last contract he took less because the Brownies got him back in the nfl

What's going on here?

A whole lot of nothing. Can’t believe the NFLPA was so intentionally vague and disingenuous just before free agency. Ohio was weird Work Comp laws (I work in commercial insurance, I have some expertise here). They are looking to find private insurance that has more robust coverage and will pay more out to players should they get injured, all while costing Mike Brown more money. I know the reputation is that Brown is cheap, and there’s good reason for that, but this is not one of those instances.

Last edited:
it's good to have TWO good running backs on your team.... I'm going to miss HUNT on the browns, thought he was a perfect 1B running back to Chubb, But HUnt wants paid... and his last contract he took less because the Brownies got him back in the nfl
The Browns need 2 good running backs, but the Bengals do not. Way different offenses. I probably would have signed Perine and cut Mixon, but Mixon was banged up all year according to rumors, so maybe he can up his play level if healthy.

Is today the day Burrow's extension is announced? First day of the new league year.

are there OFF lineman leaving cincy from last years team
Collins (RT) likely won't be available until late in the season. He tore his ACL and MCL in late December. That's generally at least a year to recover.
Williams (LT) is a FA after this season. He isn't worth the kind of money he will expect. Drafting a T to replace him is prudent. It will take a year to develop a tackle taken at 28 or later IMO.

Bengals FA te Hayden Hurst just signed w/ Carolina. A great pick for the Bengals at 28 would be Utah te Dalton Kincade. Kincade would be a definite upgrade on the passing game, blocking he would need to improve on. OT is deep in this draft, Bengals would get about the same quality OT at 28 or with their 2nd round pick.

Going by that philosophy, are you saying the Bengals in 2021 should have said no to wr and Ja’Mal Chase with the 5th pick? The best OT available was Penei Sewell who did make the Pro Bowl last year.
I don’t see any similarities between the two situations. I just don’t think any of the TEs are worth a 1st round pick.

FWIW, I was Jamar > Sewell.

Going by that philosophy, are you saying the Bengals in 2021 should have said no to wr and Ja’Mal Chase with the 5th pick? The best OT available was Penei Sewell who did make the Pro Bowl last year.
Less the Bengals address OT in FA, they need to pick the best OT in the 1st. rd. Doubtful there are any TE's that are as impactful as Chase.

Less the Bengals address OT in FA, they need to pick the best OT in the 1st. rd. Doubtful there are any TE's that are as impactful as Chase.
I’ll go a step further and say definitively that none of the TEs in this draft class will have half the impact Chase has/will continue to have.

Bengals FA te Hayden Hurst just signed w/ Carolina. A great pick for the Bengals at 28 would be Utah te Dalton Kincade. Kincade would be a definite upgrade on the passing game, blocking he would need to improve on. OT is deep in this draft, Bengals would get about the same quality OT at 28 or with their 2nd round pick.

Then they should draft two tackles. This is not difficult.

Of course there isn't a TE that would be as impactful as Chase, two completely different positions & Chase ended up being a Top 5 wr. Heck the Bengals will probably go 10+ years to have a 1st round pick be as impactful as Chase, especially if they are picking in the bottom third of the draft.

Just taking the best OT available at 28 doesn't mean that player is any better than a OT they could take in the 2nd round. Top OT's are Northwestern Peter Skoronski, OSU Paris Johnson Jr & Georgia Broderick Jones are projected 1st rounders and will most likely be gone by the time the Bengals pick. The next 7 or so could be rated anywhere from the 4th best to the 11th best: Oklahoma Anton Harrison, OSU Dawand Jones, Syracuse Matthew Bergeron, Ten Darnell Wright, Maryland Jaelyn Duncan, Utah Blake Freeland & ND State Cody Mauch. As for TE's there are 2 who are 1st rd graded, Utah's Dalton Kincaid & ND's Michael Mayer. Oregon St Luke Musgrave & Georgia Darnell Washington are considered early 2nd's.

It's a combination of needs & value. If the Bengals view one of the 2nd tier OT's better than most, then take them at 28. If the Bengals views them as pretty much all the same, then maybe getting Burrow a pass catching TE in the 1st and a OT in the 2nd could be the best option.

Of course there isn't a TE that would be as impactful as Chase, two completely different positions & Chase ended up being a Top 5 wr. Heck the Bengals will probably go 10+ years to have a 1st round pick be as impactful as Chase, especially if they are picking in the bottom third of the draft.

Just taking the best OT available at 28 doesn't mean that player is any better than a OT they could take in the 2nd round. Top OT's are Northwestern Peter Skoronski, OSU Paris Johnson Jr & Georgia Broderick Jones are projected 1st rounders and will most likely be gone by the time the Bengals pick. The next 7 or so could be rated anywhere from the 4th best to the 11th best: Oklahoma Anton Harrison, OSU Dawand Jones, Syracuse Matthew Bergeron, Ten Darnell Wright, Maryland Jaelyn Duncan, Utah Blake Freeland & ND State Cody Mauch. As for TE's there are 2 who are 1st rd graded, Utah's Dalton Kincaid & ND's Michael Mayer. Oregon St Luke Musgrave & Georgia Darnell Washington are considered early 2nd's.

It's a combination of needs & value. If the Bengals view one of the 2nd tier OT's better than most, then take them at 28. If the Bengals views them as pretty much all the same, then maybe getting Burrow a pass catching TE in the 1st and a OT in the 2nd could be the best option.
Free agency isn't over yet either.

They'll make e few more signings that will impact the draft as well.

However, really good tackles rarely hit FA. They get resigned. Teams simply don't let the elite ones walk. Any FA Tackle will have questions. If you want to get a truly elite tackle you have to either trade or draft and develop.

I’ve seen projections that have the Bengals taking Mayer. This is before Hurst hit the road.

Mayer is also a Cincinnati kid. He may be a better blocker than Kincaid but not as good of receiving skills. Neither will be available when the Bengals pick in the 2nd rd.