2023 Bengals

Indiandad

Time to get it started....

My number 1 target is Tristan Wirf. He has 2 years left on his rookie deal and is elite. The Buccs are going to be looking to rebuild and will need to shed cap money. I'd offer this year's first, next year's first and next year's 2nd for Wirf and next year's 3rd.

Is he a realistic target?

Is that enough to get it done?

TB OT Tristan Wirf was rated #7 by PFF for tackles. Wirf was a 1st rd pick in the same draft as Burrow so IF the Bengals were to pry him away from the Bucs they would have to extend his deal this offseason or franchise tag him next year. Top OT’s make $20+ mil a year so you’re looking at something like 4 years, $90 mil with $75 mil guaranteed. That’s more $$$ for the Brown family to come up with. If the Bengals hit on their draft picks as they have the last 3 years, they can get a good player cheap for 4 years.

I think the cost to acquire Wirf and then the cost to extend his contract is probably a no go.

Way too much money with the other signings of their own players. Bengals value draft picks, especially first rounders. I can see them trading down to draft the tackle from the same school Volson went to. Several good tackle prospects outside of first round. I think they should resign Bell and Hurst and the role players. Let Apple, Pratt and Bates go. They’re not worth the contracts they will be asking for. Draft a tackle and CB early and look for a RB in round 3-4 to replace Mixon as he isn’t worth 12 mill a year imo. It’s going to be interesting

I saw this and immediately thought would’ve they’ve had said anything had the Bengals won on Sunday? Who ever “they” is. This happened on January 21st. If the Bengals were looking to get rid of Mixon this is the perfect excuse.

If the Bengals cut Mixon he will count $5.5 mil towards the 2023 Bengals salary cap. Also, backup Samaje Perine is a unrestricted free agent.

TB OT Tristan Wirf was rated #7 by PFF for tackles. Wirf was a 1st rd pick in the same draft as Burrow so IF the Bengals were to pry him away from the Bucs they would have to extend his deal this offseason or franchise tag him next year. Top OT’s make $20+ mil a year so you’re looking at something like 4 years, $90 mil with $75 mil guaranteed. That’s more $$$ for the Brown family to come up with. If the Bengals hit on their draft picks as they have the last 3 years, they can get a good player cheap for 4 years.

I think the cost to acquire Wirf and then the cost to extend his contract is probably a no go.
Way too much money with the other signings of their own players. Bengals value draft picks, especially first rounders. I can see them trading down to draft the tackle from the same school Volson went to. Several good tackle prospects outside of first round. I think they should resign Bell and Hurst and the role players. Let Apple, Pratt and Bates go. They’re not worth the contracts they will be asking for. Draft a tackle and CB early and look for a RB in round 3-4 to replace Mixon as he isn’t worth 12 mill a year imo. It’s going to be interesting
By all accounts the Bengals have already set aside the necessary money to get the extensions done that they anticipated as well as the contracts for FA.

Trading for Wirf should definitely include an extension but that doesn't have to get done until late in camp. Do the trade now and ticket sales for next season should help generate enough cash to extend him.

Keeping Joe Burrow safe in the pocket should be a top priority. Drafting tackles late in the first round doesn't usually get you the talent level of Wirf. I'd rather get a sure thing for those picks.

I would prioritize Bell and Pratt (if reasonable). Trade Boyd. He is a solid #2 receiver that's very cheap for his production which is likely to improve with more targets that aren't there with Higgins and Chase. He can be replaced with a FA slot receiver on a 3rd contract who wants a ring (the Burrow effect). The same with Hurst if he is expecting a big raise. His production can be replaced by a FA much like Boyd. Mixon gets cut or reworked to market value. Rework Awuzie's contract to extend and reduce cap hit.

By all accounts the Bengals have already set aside the necessary money to get the extensions done that they anticipated as well as the contracts for FA.

Trading for Wirf should definitely include an extension but that doesn't have to get done until late in camp. Do the trade now and ticket sales for next season should help generate enough cash to extend him.

Keeping Joe Burrow safe in the pocket should be a top priority. Drafting tackles late in the first round doesn't usually get you the talent level of Wirf. I'd rather get a sure thing for those picks.

I would prioritize Bell and Pratt (if reasonable). Trade Boyd. He is a solid #2 receiver that's very cheap for his production which is likely to improve with more targets that aren't there with Higgins and Chase. He can be replaced with a FA slot receiver on a 3rd contract who wants a ring (the Burrow effect). The same with Hurst if he is expecting a big raise. His production can be replaced by a FA much like Boyd. Mixon gets cut or reworked to market value. Rework Awuzie's contract to extend and reduce cap hit.
They hit on Volson in the draft who I think is going to develope into a very good guard and is dirt cheap. I’m very encouraged by what Carmen did at tackle and Jonah is clearly not the answer at left tackle. Jonah will be gone after next year and I think they cut Collins this year as he wasn’t very good before he got hurt. Doesn’t Wirfs have an injury history also? With the high priced players the Bengals have coming up it will only make sense to build the OLine from the draft. I bet you see Carmen, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Jonah next year with rookie RT, Sharping and Hill as back ups. They have to resign Higgins if possible but he has the same agent as Bates so may not be possible. I think Pratt and Bates are definitely gone and Apple and Bell are 50/50

They hit on Volson in the draft who I think is going to develope into a very good guard and is dirt cheap. I’m very encouraged by what Carmen did at tackle and Jonah is clearly not the answer at left tackle. Jonah will be gone after next year and I think they cut Collins this year as he wasn’t very good before he got hurt. Doesn’t Wirfs have an injury history also? With the high priced players the Bengals have coming up it will only make sense to build the OLine from the draft. I bet you see Carmen, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Jonah next year with rookie RT, Sharping and Hill as back ups. They have to resign Higgins if possible but he has the same agent as Bates so may not be possible. I think Pratt and Bates are definitely gone and Apple and Bell are 50/50
I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just putting out a scenario that I think makes sense for this team.

Carmen oddly enough looked much better at OT than G, granted they had the snow game and KC doesn't have a terrifying edge rusher like Watt. So maybe they start next season with an open competition at OT between him and Jonah.

The thing with Collins is when can he be ready? He was starting to turn the corner after the bye week with the rest of the OL, but hard to swallow paying someone who isn't going to be available for the majority of the season.

The speculation regarding Higgins is already running rampant. Saw a click bait headline about how the Bengals are looking to trade him because he asked for WAY too much money. Him having the same agent as Bates doesn't sound too encouraging, but you wonder how much of a say JB will have in regards to offensive weapons. Could he take a little less money to say, give this to Tee, make sure he stays here? Time will tell.

Carmen oddly enough looked much better at OT than G, granted they had the snow game and KC doesn't have a terrifying edge rusher like Watt. So maybe they start next season with an open competition at OT between him and Jonah.

The thing with Collins is when can he be ready? He was starting to turn the corner after the bye week with the rest of the OL, but hard to swallow paying someone who isn't going to be available for the majority of the season.

The speculation regarding Higgins is already running rampant. Saw a click bait headline about how the Bengals are looking to trade him because he asked for WAY too much money. Him having the same agent as Bates doesn't sound too encouraging, but you wonder how much of a say JB will have in regards to offensive weapons. Could he take a little less money to say, give this to Tee, make sure he stays here? Time will tell.
You have Tee for up to 3 more seasons. No reason to trade him now.

You have Tee for up to 3 more seasons. No reason to trade him now.
I agree. At the very least two seasons, where you could potentially trade him after tagging him a 2nd time.

Here's one, should the Bengals use the franchise tag this year? If so, for whom? If they could use it on one of their pending FAs, I'd say Pratt but not sure if he would play under it. At the very least I'd expect him to sit out the way Bates did until Week 1.

I agree. At the very least two seasons, where you could potentially trade him after tagging him a 2nd time.

Here's one, should the Bengals use the franchise tag this year? If so, for whom? If they could use it on one of their pending FAs, I'd say Pratt but not sure if he would play under it. At the very least I'd expect him to sit out the way Bates did until Week 1.
Of course Pratt would play under it. There's no way he sits out. His pay for one season would be more than he's made in his career.

I'd tag Bates before Pratt.