2023 Benedictine Football

This hire is baffling to me. I really respect and like Coach P, but he is partially responsible for last year's disaster. If they were going to do this, they should have given Coach Goode another year. At least that would have possibly kept some of the players from transferring. I really hope they turn it around. Based on what I saw last year, those players deserved better effort and organization from their coaches (with some exceptions)
Good post.It should be baffling to anyone that follows the program.They needed to make a fresh start with a outside hire.Anyone that thinks things will change are only fooling themselves.

Time will tell. Anyone who has coached at any level knows there's a big difference between being someone's assistant and being the key decision maker. It's only fair to wait and see what the new coach can do; give him that chance. There's no reason to second-guess this decision when he's not had an opportunity to prove himself as the leader of the program. Let's move on to next season.

Time will tell. Anyone who has coached at any level knows there's a big difference between being someone's assistant and being the key decision maker. It's only fair to wait and see what the new coach can do; give him that chance. There's no reason to second-guess this decision when he's not had an opportunity to prove himself as the leader of the program. Let's move on to next season.
You want to drink the kool aid bud,go right ahead.But no need to tell me,or anyone else what to think.It was a lazy hire,that could have been done 5 minutes after the last game.

You want to drink the kool aid bud,go right ahead.But no need to tell me,or anyone else what to think.It was a lazy hire,that could have been done 5 minutes after the last game.
It’s not a lazy hire. The #1 candidate, that was formally offered the job, ended up turning it down. the hire was a result of not thinking the #1 would walk away from the low ball offer.

The hire was the next best candidate. It was a very underwhelming candidate pool. It became every more luke warm once the #1 dropped out.

Very curious who the other candidates were. Anyone with actual knowledge of who the final few were please PM me if you care to share.

CLEVELAND BENEDICTINE
1 - @ Walsh Jesuit
2 - (H) Avon Lake
3 - @ St. Francis (NY)
4 - @ Strongsville
5 - @ Akron Buchtel
6 - @ Normandy
7 - (H) Canisius (NY)
8 - (H) Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)
9 - (H) Lyndhurst Brush
10 - @ Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary

Last edited:
Coach Joe Schaefer was part of Coach Ben Malbasa’s staff in 2011, second in command actually. Nothing against Coach Malbasa, but during his 2nd (and final) season as Benedictine’s head coach in 2012, the varsity team finished at 3-7 with an awful loss to Padua. The team also had around 35 players by the end of the season if memory serves correctly, completely in need of a rebuild.

Enter Coach Joe Schaefer. The Bengals rebound the next season and make it to the Regional Championship, only to lose a heartbreaker to Cardinal Mooney. The next year, 2014, … well you know the rest.
agree on the 2012 season .......started 3-2 ......... then 5 losses in a row ....4 blowouts...........too many irons in the fire on the malbasa hire .
coach joe ....real easy choice ........very few by the few who made the decision ........... malbasa was always heading east ....back home to university school.......... those years with schaefer and his staff .........were terrific ......

CLEVELAND BENEDICTINE
1 - @ Walsh Jesuit
2 - (H) Avon Lake
3 - @ St. Francis (NY)
4 - Nordonia or Strongsville (Depends on Solon situation)
5 - @ Akron Buchtel
7 - (H) Canisius (NY)
8 - (H) Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)
9 - (H) Lyndhurst Brush
10 - @ Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
st. francis beat cathedral prep last year ......yikes !!!

agree on the 2012 season .......started 3-2 ......... then 5 losses in a row ....4 blowouts...........too many irons in the fire on the malbasa hire .
coach joe ....real easy choice ........very few by the few who made the decision ........... malbasa was always heading east ....back home to university school.......... those years with schaefer and his staff .........were terrific ......
They were terrific because he had PLAYERS

It’s not a lazy hire. The #1 candidate, that was formally offered the job, ended up turning it down. the hire was a result of not thinking the #1 would walk away from the low ball offer.

The hire was the next best candidate. It was a very underwhelming candidate pool. It became every more luke warm once the #1 dropped out.
At least you know about the low ball offer.Tells what kind of shape the program is in when they make Grind for 9 the head coach.

Let’s see the staff he builds.
If the school can't attract good head coaching candidates because of money,logic says they won't attract top flight assistants either.I give you exhibit A-the staff we just had.Most of whom will probably be retained,because they can't attract real coaches.

At least you know about the low ball offer.Tells what kind of shape the program is in when they make Grind for 9 the head coach.
Yeah. Hopefully he spends less time on here and more time correcting all the flaws he didn’t address last year.

Wait a minute, grind for 9 is the new HC?!? And if that’s true, you guys are in big trouble. No way this is true??
P will never admit it. But it’s well known it’s him. It’s not a secrete. Another clown. Just like Jake, on here embarrassing the school daily.

Can we please keep this thread focused on the 2023 season?

It is pathetic to label the new coach a failure before he has recruited one player or coached one game.

Look at the 2018 Browns for an example of a new head coach getting better results with the same talent (yes, I know there are major differences between the NFL and high school football):

Hue Jackson (fired Week 8, 2–5–1 record)​
Gregg Williams (interim, 5–3 record)​

Coming from a guy who said he would never put his name on here, now he is making bold statements or assumptions that are comical. If I was qualified to be a head coach, I would not be on here but thanks for the compliment pal.

Can we please keep this thread focused on the 2023 season?

It is pathetic to label the new coach a failure before he has recruited one player or coached one game.

Look at the 2018 Browns for an example of a new head coach getting better results with the same talent (yes, I know there are major differences between the NFL and high school football):

Hue Jackson (fired Week 8, 2–5–1 record)​
Gregg Williams (interim, 5–3 record)​
Agree

If you are the new HC at Benedictine, this is the last place you should be right now. Is this for real?? Lol

My suggestion for the 2023 season is to focus on heart and toughness.

Every practice has to be a battle, every drill has to be a competition, and every failure has to have a consequence.

We can win some games with tough players that don’t know quit and hate failure.

This is the problem. The creator of the thread said keep it on the upcoming season and now people revert right back to the nonsense. Toxic

Coming from a guy who said he would never put his name on here, now he is making bold statements or assumptions that are comical. If I was qualified to be a head coach, I would not be on here but thanks for the compliment pal.
Believe me its not a compliment PAL.If anyone reads all the 2022 posts,its pretty obvious.

No coaches, players, or parents should not be reading let alone be posting on a site like this. If any of these constituencies are active users here that is highly problematic.

No coaches, players, or parents should not be reading let alone be posting on a site like this. If any of these constituencies are active users here that is highly problematic.
Some people can't help themselves. It's become too easy to get caught in the weeds. Do I think it's him? No.
But I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was, judging by some of the stuff he's posted.

My suggestion for the 2023 season is to focus on heart and toughness.

Every practice has to be a battle, every drill has to be a competition, and every failure has to have a consequence.

We can win some games with tough players that don’t know quit and hate failure.
Concur. Although some would equate “heart” with “naivety” and “unrealistic,” there are studies that show people can lift more/do more/etc. if they really and truly believe.

Working with young men, you can either build them up or tear them down. Let’s build up the current team and encourage them. They are playing for Benedictine. This is the Home of Champions. Young men can still be inspired with the tradition. Interestingly, Coach Prevesk‘s senior football season at Benedictine was Coach Bossu’s last season as head coach.

Let’s keep inspiring our young men. We have something special here.