2022 Volleyball

Not in the games I’ve watched.
I guess this is the problem, it is inconsistently called throughout most levels of volleyball. I have seen for the most part the whistle is swallowed in bigger games as the refs don't want to be scrutinized for a judgement call or they get caught up in solid back and forth action and don't want to break up the rhythm on the game. To me it either is or isn't, just make the call.

I guess this is the problem, it is inconsistently called throughout most levels of volleyball. I have seen for the most part the whistle is swallowed in bigger games as the refs don't want to be scrutinized for a judgement call or they get caught up in solid back and forth action and don't want to break up the rhythm on the game. To me it either is or isn't, just make the call.

It may just be a specific judge or two in our league. From my perspective, they call doubles too much (I once saw a ref call a double when the player's back was turned to them and there's no way they saw the hit), and they don't call lifts nearly enough.

Huge D1 matchup Saturday @ Centerville
Ursuline Academy (#1 OH Max Preps, #2 Week 3 OH Poll ) vs
Magnificat (#2 OH Max Preps, #1 Week 3 OH Poll)

Magnificat playing 2 matches @ Centerville in SW OH Saturday
Ursuline followed by Centerville

Magnificat with impressive wins over GGCLs St. Ursula and MND last Saturday @ CIT

Huge D1 matchup Saturday @ Centerville
Ursuline Academy (#1 OH Max Preps, #2 Week 3 OH Poll ) vs
Magnificat (#2 OH Max Preps, #1 Week 3 OH Poll)

Magnificat playing 2 matches @ Centerville in SW OH Saturday
Ursuline followed by Centerville

Magnificat with impressive wins over GGCLs St. Ursula and MND last Saturday @ CIT
Magnificat is really trending in NEO, they always were good but they never had this level of play. It is also no surprise that Padua has moved in the other direction as their coach, James BeHarry, was always an acquired taste and his more gruff style has fallen out of favor in the local volleyball circles. Not sure about SWO but up here dynamic women coaches are really trending, Mags hired Megan Green away from Holy Name after they won a state title and Lake Catholic, who now has Kara Oster running the program, is cruising along in Div II having beaten both Gilmour and NDCL with their only L coming from Mags. Also look at what Ohio State is now doing under Jen Flynn, they were at best a mediocre program under their previous coach and now they are a top 10 one. I see this as a good trend!

It may just be a specific judge or two in our league. From my perspective, they call doubles too much (I once saw a ref call a double when the player's back was turned to them and there's no way they saw the hit), and they don't call lifts nearly enough.
I think this is pretty accurate in all leagues from what I have seen last couple years. Lift or Double Hit are judgement calls. Also Officials were told by the State this yr to do their best at “letting the ball keep flying” if not 100% positive an infraction occurred. Was in the State Packet from what I been told by friends who still Officiate HS Volleyball. Will be very interesting to see how these calls are made or not made going forward with New Officials now being taught mainly online. Anyone been to see Walnut Hills Volleyball this season?

I think this is pretty accurate in all leagues from what I have seen last couple years. Lift or Double Hit are judgement calls. Also Officials were told by the State this yr to do their best at “letting the ball keep flying” if not 100% positive an infraction occurred. Was in the State Packet from what I been told by friends who still Officiate HS Volleyball. Will be very interesting to see how these calls are made or not made going forward with New Officials now being taught mainly online. Anyone been to see Walnut Hills Volleyball this season?
Yes - not much vball talent/experience on the team but in the match I saw, I give the coach and players a lot of credit. There was no quit from beginning to end like I have seen in other cincy public schools and their energy/enthusiasm was always present.

Curious why you ask?

Yes - not much vball talent/experience on the team but in the match I saw, I give the coach and players a lot of credit. There was no quit from beginning to end like I have seen in other cincy public schools and their energy/enthusiasm was always present.

Curious why you ask?
Heard the new Coach is pretty mouthy to Officials and allows some Players to do the same. This not a good look and never happened under the old Coach. Use to Officiate a number of CPS Schools who were not very good at Volleyball but their Coaches and Players always gave great effort and were respectful to Officials and Opponents.

The GGCL continues to beat one another up http://ggcl.gclsports.com/confStandings.aspx?sat=6

MND was 6-0 before the league began. They then lost 6 straight games and it looked like they had fallen apart. Then out of nowhere they win 6 of the next 7 including beating Ursula AND Ursuline!

McAuley started out undefeated overall and in the league. They have now lost 4 straight league matches but could still win the DII state title.

The Walnut Hills coach has got to go. It’s not fair to the girls in the program. They all deserve better.
I have heard numerous things about her. None real good but All of it from Current Officials. Obviously 2 sides to every story. What she do or not do now?

I have heard numerous things about her. None real good but All of it from Current Officials. Obviously 2 sides to every story. What she do or not do now?
Ive a friend and his daughter is on the JV team. The coach is just a very mean angry and bitter person who spends more time on her phone than coaching the players. She is an embarrassment to Walnut.

Im told when they played Seton, she coached every game (FR, JV, Varsity). The games were not competitive (which is to be expected) but she did not call ONE time out over 7 games of volleyball. Not one chance for coaching, give her girls a break, a chance to regroup, etc.

Ive a friend and his daughter is on the JV team. The coach is just a very mean angry and bitter person who spends more time on her phone than coaching the players. She is an embarrassment to Walnut.

Im told when they played Seton, she coached every game (FR, JV, Varsity). The games were not competitive (which is to be expected) but she did not call ONE time out over 7 games of volleyball. Not one chance for coaching, give her girls a break, a chance to regroup, etc.
Got the “just comes across as a bitter person” from those same Officials about her. Cant believe Walnut Hills let her Coach every level against Seton. Sounds like she shouldn’t be Coaching at all much less All 3 levels. The WH Middle School Volleyball Teams are not very good either so nothing coming up.

Also gets you a different line judge on your end line.
This cost us a few points last night. Line Judge on the opposite end line thought that a ball touching the line was out.

Edited: I watched the balls easily touch the line. Line Judge called them out and was not overruled by R1.

Last edited:
This cost us a few points last night. Line Judge on the opposite end line thought that a ball touching the line was out.

Edited: I watched the balls easily touch the line. Line Judge called them out and was not overruled by R1.
Unless it is a clear call the R1 rarely over turns, they tend to support their fellow refs especially in JO matches where the girls ref the lines. Hopefully the call wasn't crucial and like balls and strikes in a diamond sport you hope they even out in the long run.

What takes so long to get the brackets loaded on the OHSAA or NEDAB sites? Draw meetings were at 2 today, it's now after 8 PM and nothing on either site.

What takes so long to get the brackets loaded on the OHSAA or NEDAB sites? Draw meetings were at 2 today, it's now after 8 PM and nothing on either site.
Probably because it is not a revenue sport for the OHSAA but also because HS volleyball takes a back seat to club and that faction is getting ready for the crucial 13s and 14s tryout season and isn't that motivated to make sure the power to be get seedings and match ups posted for the public.

While I don’t know an awful lot about volleyball, I do know Lake Catholic is beating everyone they come in contact with. Took out NDCL last night in straight sets. Ranked #1 in D3. And a very young team. Future is bright.
Lake is young but they do lose a 4 year starter at libero and a 3 year starter at middle

Lake is young but they do lose a 4 year starter at libero and a 3 year starter at middle
I think they will be a force now that they have moved down to Div 3, primarily they no longer have to worry about Gilmour or NDCL in their region. Also as called out above their Coach has a lot of juice and girls want to play at Lake Catholic, they need to try and keep Coach Oster in the fold. There are some really good programs out in the MAC that they will now be seeing in Dayton, it will be interesting how these matches play out as Versailles and Coldwater are not chumps and are arguably better than some of the teams from the southern part of the state they saw in Div II.

I feel like I understand "double hits" less now than I did at the beginning of the season. There's no way refs are accurately seeing them consistently. The game is just moving too quickly.

Last night was the first round of the playoffs, and our officials were calling them fast and furious. Probably close to 20 in a 3 set game.

Not related to last night's game, but my daughter has literally heard an official say "I'm going to call a double if anyone other than the normal setter sets the ball."

Last edited:
I feel like I understand "double hits" less now than I did at the beginning of the season. There's no way refs are accurately seeing them consistently. The game is just moving too quickly.

Last night was the first round of the playoffs, and are officials were calling them fast and furious. Probably close to 20 in a 3 set game.

Not related to last night's game, but my daughter has literally heard an official say "I'm going to call a double if anyone other than the normal setter sets the ball."
They been told to “let them play” and “let it fly” numerous times this yr from what I hear. 20 Doubles called in a 3 Set Tournament Match is totally unnecessary imo! Volleyball has the most arrogant Officials of all the Sports that I used too Officiate. Should be really interesting to see how “New” Volleyball Officials do when they take the court since Officiating Permit Classes are all online now.

They been told to “let them play” and “let it fly” numerous times this yr from what I hear. 20 Doubles called in a 3 Set Tournament Match is totally unnecessary imo! Volleyball has the most arrogant Officials of all the Sports that I used too Officiate. Should be really interesting to see how “New” Volleyball Officials do when they take the court since Officiating Permit Classes are all online now.

The officials in the Dayton area definitely haven't gotten the "let them play" memo.

The officials in the Dayton area definitely haven't gotten the "let them play" memo.
They didn’t Open or read their “Newsletter” in their Rulebook Packet or pay attention at any of the Meetings they have to attend. No surprise here, lots of arrogance in that Group of Officials!

Last night was the first round of the playoffs, and our officials were calling them fast and furious. Probably close to 20 in a 3 set game.

There are some really brutal games in the first couple of rounds in the OHSAA tourney, especially if urban schools are involved where setting rules are not totally understood. Now the issue is when you have a high level team with deep tourney aspirations and pins to get them to Dayton but challenges at setter. Is it fair to let the balls fly when a B1G recruit is dazzling the crowd with poster like kills from illegal sets? I tend to say no.

Probably because it is not a revenue sport for the OHSAA but also because HS volleyball takes a back seat to club and that faction is getting ready for the crucial 13s and 14s tryout season and isn't that motivated to make sure the power to be get seedings and match ups posted for the public.
Interesting that the OHSAA teamed up with OVR. Travel sports hurt OHSAA sports, but probably none more than volleyball. Volleyball is an insular community that has too much control in the hands of too few.

After the weaker teams were sorted out last week the tourney moves into some juicy match ups but not like it was in the past when the Districts were regionally based. No more Mags v St Joseph Academy or NDCL vs. Lake Catholic at the District level, those are now at Regional level which seems fairer but sometimes the locations do not make sense. IS the OHSAA more flexible on regional locations this year based off of teams?

when do they announce all the district player of the year and all the district teams, or where can you find it located
I think not until the final four but that might be the state wide teams. Not sure.
All-Ohio info:

"Nominations for all-Ohio will open on Sunday October 23 6pm and stay open until Tuesday October 25 8pm.

If you have voted at least 5 of the 6 weeks, you can vote for all-Ohio. Voting will be from October 30 6pm – November 1 8pm. The All-Ohio lists will be released the following weekend (after regionals)."

District info - haven't seen anything in print but teams have been informed who made the various all-District 4 teams.