2022 Volleyball

When will the OHSAA (or is it per NFHS guidelines) make the move to return to teams switching sides of the net after each set?

Stark County top returning players.

Mike Popovich
The Repository

Stark County has no shortage of girls high school volleyball talent.

Despite a last-minute head coaching change, the Jackson Polar Bears became a regional qualifier for the 11th time in 12 years in 2021. Perry also was a regional qualifier a year ago.

As the 2022 season gets underway, here is a look at 10 players from around the county to keep an eye on.

Ashley Bowman, Minerva, sr.​

∎ Reigning Stark County Division II Libero of the Year. ... Selected second team All-District IV and honorable mention All-Eastern Buckeye Conference last season. Led the Lions in digs with 270.

Louisville's Addison Burick serves during a match against Jackson last season.

Addison Burick, Louisville, jr.​

∎ Recorded 588 assists last season as the Leopards' top setter. Second on the team in blocks with 30. ... First team All-Stark County and All-District IV selection.

Ashley Cudnik, Northwest, sr.​

∎ Northwest's top hitter the past two seasons. ... Led the team with 288 kills, 276 digs and 352 serve receptions in 2021. First team All-PAC 7, All-Stark County and All-District IV selection.

JaLexis Elder, McKinley, sr.​

∎ Led the Bulldogs with 140 digs and 34 aces last season. ... First team All-Stark County and second team All-District IV selection,

Jackson's Leena Patibandla (right) does for the kill during a Division I regional semifinal match against Chardon last season.

Leena Patibandla, Jackson, sr.​

∎ One of Stark County's best all-around girls athletes. ... Helped lead the Polar Bears to 22 straight wins, a Federal League title and an 11th regional appearance in 12 years in 2021. Finished with a team-best 272 kills at outside hitter. ... Three-time All-Federal League, All-Stark County and All-District IV selection.

GlenOak's Natalie Stepanovich returns a volley during a match against Jackson last season.

Natalie Stepanovich, GlenOak, sr.​

∎ Voted Federal League and Stark County Division I Player of the Year in 2021. First team All-District IV selection. ... Outside hitter who led the Golden Eagles with 33 service aces, 287 kills and 291 digs. ... Team leader in kills the last three seasons and aces the last two years.

Massillon's Kendyl Wagner (2) returns a shot during a 2020 game against Alliance.

Kendyl Wagner, Massillon, sr.​

∎ Top outside hitter during her first three seasons with the Tigers. ... Earned first team All-Stark County and second team All-District IV honors in 2021.

Jackson's Sydney Wake sets the ball during last year's Division I regional semifinal match against Chardon.

Sydney Wake, Jackson, sr.​

∎ Veteran leader for the reigning Federal League and Division I district champions. ... Led the Polar Bears with a .311 hitting percentage last season. Ranked second in assists with 324, aces with 42 and blocks with 24. ... All-Stark County and All-District IV selection.

Jackson's McKenna Weber (24) goes for the kill during a game against Louisville last season.

McKenna Weber, Jackson, jr.​

∎ Helped lead Jackson to Federal League and Division I district championships in 2021. ... Led the Polar Bears with 322 serve receptions while finishing second on the team in kills with 211 and digs with 213. ... First team All-Stark County and second team All-District IV selection.

Gwen Wilhelm, Tuslaw, sr.​

∎ First team All-PAC-7 selection who helped lead the Mustangs to 17 wins in 2021. Named first team All-District IV . ... Led Tuslaw with a .319 hitting percentage and in total blocks with 57. Ranked second on the team in kills with 231.

Reach Mike at mike.popovich@cantonrep.com

On Twitter: @mpopovichREP

From Cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...-preview-a-look-at-the-areas-top-players.html

High School Volleyball 2022 preview: A look at the area’s top players​

• Updated: Aug. 19, 2022, 6:06 a.m.|
  • Published: Aug. 19, 2022, 6:05 a.m.
Magnificat Division I volleyball champions

Magnificat's Sophia Anghilante attempts a kill against Olentangy Liberty during last season's Division I state championship match.John Hulkenberg photo
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Last year was an exceptional year for volleyball teams in the cleveland.com seven-county coverage area. Two teams won state titles, one finished second, and 30 players earned All-Ohio honors. Most of those All-Ohio players graduated, but plenty of talent remains.

Here is a preseason look at the top players in the area.

Aubrey Anders, Gilmour, sophomore

As a freshman she helped Independence reach its fourth consecutive Division III championship final, but she has since transferred to Gilmour. It will be interesting to see how she fits into an already stacked lineup.

Sophia Anghilante, Magnificat, senior

She scored the winning point on an emphatic kill as the Blue Streaks won the first state title in program history, taking down top-ranked Olentangy Liberty in four sets. The senior is one of several returners from Magnificat’s championship rotation.

Emma Briganti, Lake Catholic, senior

She helped the Cougars reach the Division II Final Four for the eighth time since 2001, earning honorable mention All-Ohio honors along the way.

Juliette Chandler, St. Joseph Academy, junior

Perhaps the most effective hitter for the Jaguars last year other than departed All-Ohioan Cadence Shea. Someone needs to step up to a leadership role for SJA and the junior might be the best candidate.

Kayla Channell, Gilmour, sophomore

When opponents focused too much on trying to stop two-time state player of the year Kathryn Randorf, Channell was there to take advantage. Despite being a freshman, she had 245 kills and 87 blocks for the two-time defending state champions.

Emerson Futchko, Brunswick, senior

An honorable mention All-Ohio recipient, she leads a team that hopes to improve on last year’s 16-8 record that included an undefeated mark in Greater Cleveland Conference play.

Ava Golem, Kirtland, senior

Much returns from a Kirtland team that went 24-2 and reached the regional semifinals, and it all starts with Golem, who garnered third team All-Ohio honors in Division III.

Bella Groomes, St. Joseph Academy, sophomore

Just a sophomore, Groomes is the latest big hitter in a program that has become known for producing such players.

Nia Hall, Amherst, senior

Laken Voss has moved on to Cleveland State, but Amherst should continue to be strong with players like Hall, who had nine kills and 22 digs in the Comets’ state semifinal loss to Olentangy Liberty.

Ella Jackson, Gilmour, sophomore

As a freshman, she was the setter for a team that won its second consecutive state championship in Division II. She had 46 assists in a state semifinal victory over Lake Catholic and 54 in the Lancers’ epic five-set championship win over St. Bernard Roger Bacon.

Lauren Janosy, Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin, senior

She had 167 kills last year, teaming with Caroline and Ava Jurevicius to give NDCL a big and talented front line.

Caroline Jurevicius, Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin, senior

The daughter of former NFL receiver Joe Jurevicius, she is perhaps the top player in the area and one of the best outside hitters in the country. The first team Division II All-Ohioan has committed to play at Nebraska.

Laney Klika, Gilmour, senior

A team captain last year as a junior, the Wofford commit will again be counted on for leadership, especially since this year’s team is extremely talented but also quite young.

Emma McCartney, Chardon, junior

Chardon won a district title last year, and a big reason was the all-around play of McCartney, who led the team with 294 kills, was second in aces and digs, and was third in blocks.

Jessica Neiman, Padua, junior

Last year was a struggle for Padua, but with outside hitter Neiman leading the way, it appears the Bruins are headed back toward the days that saw them reach a state final in the five consecutive years from 2016-2020.

Hannah Pattie, Lake Catholic, junior

The Cougars started two freshmen and two sophomores last year on their way to the state semifinals, and Pattie was one of them, earning honorable mention All-Ohio honors for her play.

Chloe Smith, Holy Name, sophomore

As a freshman, Smith led her team in kills and also hitting percentage as the Green Wave narrowly lost the Great Lakes Conference title to Westlake and narrowly lost to Beaumont in a district semifinal. Both were five-set matches.

Sophia Smotek, Independence, sophomore

She has big shoes to fill, as the Blue Devils graduated six seniors from a group that lost in the Division III state finals four years in a row and also had a player transfer to Gilmour. It appears the 10th grader could be the next star for Independence.

Gracie Starcovic, Vermilion, senior

Five seniors are gone from last year’s group that went undefeated until falling to Gilmour in the regional final. Starcovic was third-team All-Ohio last year and will be counted on to lead the way for the Sailors.

Alayna Tessena, Highland, senior

Also a standout basketball player, Tessena earned second-team All-Ohio honors last year as the Hornets won 22-of-24 matches and won their conference title.

Kylee Urban, Olmsted Falls, senior

The Bulldogs went 21-3 last year and the success should continue this fall, as eight players return, led by Urban, who earned second team All-Ohio honors.

Lauren Yacobucci, Magnificat, senior

There were no stars for the Blue Streaks last year on the way to the Division I state title, but the all-around play of Yacobucci was key to their success, as she had 47 assists, 18 digs, four aces and three kills in the championship match.

When will the OHSAA (or is it per NFHS guidelines) make the move to return to teams switching sides of the net after each set?
I see the NCAA started back with the switching this season. I have not attended a HS game this fall, just grade school. And they did not switch. Of course, they are not affected as much as HS or college.

Was told yesterday that a few Matches in SW Ohio have been Cancelled due to the Officials shortage. Not sure when they will return to switching sides. Friends who are Officials say there to discuss how end of match will be handled (traditional or wave). Hopefully no more Matches are Cancelled,that obviously the worst scenario for all involved.

Was told yesterday that a few Matches in SW Ohio have been Cancelled due to the Officials shortage. Not sure when they will return to switching sides. Friends who are Officials say there to discuss how end of match will be handled (traditional or wave). Hopefully no more Matches are Cancelled,that obviously the worst scenario for all involved.
Our team has had handshakes and waves post-match. Is this discussed in the pre-match meeting with the captains?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Southwest Ohio will be dominated once again by the GGCL.

The top three include, MND, Ursuline, and Ursula and the league will be brutal. McAuley is in DII now, but they have legit talent and could battle for the top spot as well. Seton is VERY young and will likely finish 5th and still be one of the top 10 teams in the state.

Implemented due to the pandemic in 2020, and based on positive feedback nationally, the NFHS made a change that provides a state adoption that allows teams to remain on the same bench (and side of the net) throughout the match.

The OHSAA surveyed the head coaches throughout the state. 512 responded to the survey..... The vote was 398-114 in favor of the adoption.

D1 - Ursuline is the team to beat
D2 - Gilmour, Liberty Benton, Roger Bacon, Mercy Mcculley - these have to be the four favorite. Liberty Benton might have the best player in the state and them along with Mercy getting moved up to D2 is going to make it super competitive.

D2 - Gilmour, Liberty Benton, Roger Bacon, Mercy Mcculley - these have to be the four favorite. Liberty Benton might have the best player in the state and them along with Mercy getting moved up to D2 is going to make it super competitive.
Watch out for Columbus Bishop Hartley in Division II.

Why does Volleyball need to switch sides. It is called home court advantage for a reason.
Switching sides can allow the R1 a somewhat equal (fair) view of the hands of each team's setter for determining a double contact. That is, if the R1 does not call them based solely on ball spin.

Also gets you a different line judge on your end line.

Last edited:
Implemented due to the pandemic in 2020, and based on positive feedback nationally, the NFHS made a change that provides a state adoption that allows teams to remain on the same bench (and side of the net) throughout the match.

The OHSAA surveyed the head coaches throughout the state. 512 responded to the survey..... The vote was 398-114 in favor of the adoption.
78% in favor. Never would've guessed that large a disparity.

Mercy McAuley defeated Ursuline Tuesday night in 5

Mercy McAuley defeated Ursuline Tuesday night in 5
It was a great win for MM. I would still take Ursuline in a playoff situation. Having said that MM is going to have their hands full winning the D2 Region in SW Ohio. Roger Bacon and CHCA have a lot of good players.

Volleyball in SW OH is only getting better. So many good players in the area. Kings might have the best best starting rotation but not sure they have the depth to beat Ursuline.

Switching sides can allow the R1 a somewhat equal (fair) view of the hands of each team's setter for determining a double contact. That is, if the R1 does not call them based solely on ball spin.

Also gets you a different line judge on your end line.
The High School Refs have swallowed the whistles on Doubles. In fact from what I understand this is an initiate that is also taking place at the college level.

It was a great win for MM. I would still take Ursuline in a playoff situation. Having said that MM is going to have their hands full winning the D2 Region in SW Ohio. Roger Bacon and CHCA have a lot of good players.

Volleyball in SW OH is only getting better. So many good players in the area. Kings might have the best best starting rotation but not sure they have the depth to beat Ursuline.
I agree. Was just pointing out that Ursuline is vulnerable. I hear Kings has 1 possibly 2 really good Freshman. Kings also has some of the best Coaching in SW Ohio imo.

The High School Refs have swallowed the whistles on Doubles. In fact from what I understand this is an initiate that is also taking place at the college level.
This has been progressing slowly for years. A couple years back, I ended up just BS’ing with a guy who was coordinating all the refs at a club vball tourney. I asked him about this and he said the point of emphasis for the tourney was not to call doubles as long it wasn’t a push to the other side of the net. The influence was coming from the college coaches. The reasoning was that it is too subjective, not consistently called and at the end of the day, if there is a double, chances are it is a bad set and it is harder to hit a bad set. Also, it was slowing the pace of the game if you had a whistle happy ref.

Kings lost to Milford & Milford lost to Seton in 3

In NEO it is the same cast of characters too minus Padua who has been in a slump recently, mostly because the girls have grown tired of their coach's act. In Div I it now about Magnificat and St. Joe's, both have dynamic coaches that the girls are really connecting with. Div II is where the real action is though with Gilmour just cleaning up, their facilities and coach have really taken that program to the next level. Their home court is arguably the best place in Ohio to play and watch a volleyball match. Plenty of room around the court, nice high ceiling, and raised spectator viewing. The locker room is also something that most Div I programs would be happy to have.

MZc_1k4xhmmt0HNO.jpg

Regarding doubles... Nothing more aggravating to a solid setter than seeing one across the net get away with doubles all match long. Why put in the work and hustle all match long to get in the right position for correct contact when in the end it doesn't make a difference? Not only does it bail out poor handling but also poor passing. I have also seen refs start to eat the whistle when it comes to close calls on lifts, maybe not as much as doubles as it is an easier call in my book but again poor ball handling is ignored because they want to keep the match moving and not have to make a judgement call.

As for switching sides... As a coach I would be for brining it back to the game. Some courts have a better side either due to space or sight lines plus nothing better than after a poor set having the girls collect the gear and move over, gets you a chance to clear their heads and change the juju up a little.

A point someone raised to me last night at a volleyball match that I hadn't thought of - if switching sides after sets are a thing of the past, do we really need three minutes between sets? Most coaches are done in 60-90 seconds and the rest is just standing around waiting for the three minutes to end.

A point someone raised to me last night at a volleyball match that I hadn't thought of - if switching sides after sets are a thing of the past, do we really need three minutes between sets? Most coaches are done in 60-90 seconds and the rest is just standing around waiting for the three minutes to end.
If switching sides not involved I think 2 minutes is what the time should be in between Sets. This lets everyone involved take a short breather and possibly talk about things that just occurred,submit a Lineup and Play.

Seton wins their first league game and gives previously unbeaten McAulay their first loss on the year. GGCL is so competitive.

Id guess SUA or Ursuline finish on top.

Last edited:
While I don’t know an awful lot about volleyball, I do know Lake Catholic is beating everyone they come in contact with. Took out NDCL last night in straight sets. Ranked #1 in D3. And a very young team. Future is bright.