2022 VASJ Vikings Football: Official Thread

Here’s the skinny, they will be young but talented. They will go 7-3 beating JFK, CCC, Wheeling Park, East, Lake Catholic, Collinwood and Wooster. They will lose to Badin, Ursuline and Hartley. They will have more talent in most games but will be badly out coached in close games. At 7-3 they’re a likely 6-8 seed in a loaded division 3. They should win first round game vs a low seed. Second round they will get beaten by a 1-3 seed as they will again be out coached. This is the Rotsky model for years.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all and is along my projection this year. We saw it against Glenville and Walsh. We will see again at some point this year.

Here’s the skinny, they will be young but talented. They will go 7-3 beating JFK, CCC, Wheeling Park, East, Lake Catholic, Collinwood and Wooster. They will lose to Badin, Ursuline and Hartley. They will have more talent in most games but will be badly out coached in close games. At 7-3 they’re a likely 6-8 seed in a loaded division 3. They should win first round game vs a low seed. Second round they will get beaten by a 1-3 seed as they will again be out coached. This is the Rotsky model for years.
Sounds like the Rotsky model in your words is pretty successful. This program went too long without predictable winning seasons and playoff victories. I think they’ll probably beat Ursuline again. I know that the alumni will be VERY pleased with another Lake Catholic victory. There was a time when that shoe was on the other foot. It’s a good time in the village!

Wouldn’t surprise me at all and is along my projection this year. We saw it against Glenville and Walsh. We will see again at some point this year.
They did not have more talent than Glenville. They certainly played poorly but saying that VASJ was more talented is ignorant. The fact of the matter is this program is the most organized it has been in twenty plus years. That may be an indictment of the past but we can’t go back. I hope that they can continue to improve.

They did not have more talent than Glenville. They certainly played poorly but saying that VASJ was more talented is ignorant. The fact of the matter is this program is the most organized it has been in twenty plus years. That may be an indictment of the past but we can’t go back. I hope that they can continue to improve.
You mean recruiting, taking multiple transfers and accepting every kid with a voucher right? That is your definition of organized? How about getting suspended and the school put on probation? That is organized right? Remember, when you sell your soul to the devil, sooner or later you have to go to hell.

You mean recruiting, taking multiple transfers and accepting every kid with a voucher right? That is your definition of organized? How about getting suspended and the school put on probation? That is organized right? Remember, when you sell your soul to the devil, sooner or later you have to go to hell.
Jo Frost Lol GIF by Lifetime
The gift that keeps on giving. Bed time junior. Mommy wants her laptop back. Least you can do is clean off the Vaseline on the keyboard. Coach....?

^ I have heard comments like this for decades and that old building still sits full enough with plenty of kids whose parents and grandparents heard the same thing in the same place.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see winning football. However we still haven’t seen past the quarter finals since 2003. I remember 2011 when I was in school and how much it was a big deal to make the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. It was as if we went to states. It was even more special as most of those kids on that team played CYO football together or faced each other at different schools. It stung knowing we would get bounced by Berlin Center in the first game. At this point another outage in the quarterfinals, is a failure in many eyes

And don’t get me wrong as well, but yeah Glenville was loaded, they were a D-I sized team playing in D-IV. However, they had chances to make it a game.

I believe the school is still strict about acceptance but to me still seems lenient than it was in most years. As I mentioned, I gave Rotsky a chance but at this point, I’m not thrilled he is here, but it is what it is and I’m not gonna stop supporting a team over who the coach is. I said the same when Kwasniak was the coach. I’m not thrilled the schools Athletic Dept is on probation either. As I mentioned, I’m sure someone had to lay down the law at the school to make sure JR is on his best behavior

Final:

Badin 34
VASJ 3

Offense was non existent. In experience showed, playing calling was god knows where and trivial. Grant it the QB is just a Sophmore, it seemed like he was scared of getting hit and made a lot of illadvised throws that lead to sacks, TOL, or INT’s.
The defense was solid for the most part with some bright spots here and there and some mistakes.

However, a lot of room for improvement is desired in coming weeks.

Final:

Badin 34
VASJ 3

Offense was non existent. In experience showed, playing calling was god knows where and trivial. Grant it the QB is just a Sophmore, it seemed like he was scared of getting hit and made a lot of illadvised throws that lead to sacks, TOL, or INT’s.
The defense was solid for the most part with some bright spots here and there and some mistakes.

However, a lot of room for improvement is desired in coming weeks.
The cornerback #7 played well, the nose guard #8 did too. The offensive line has to get a lot better. The soph QB showed the same tendencies on freshman and jv. I understand going with the youth movement but he is not ready which is why they should be playing the senior. This team has a lot of talent.

That was a very good football team - hats off to Badin, they will be making a lot of noise in the state playoffs.

Should be a much, much easier game this week

VASJ is a very talented team. They have the size and speed to be a top tier contender in Region 9 in the future. They need to clean up their penalties. You can tell they are young but VERY talented.

"Rotsky model" - that's flipping hilarious. Well done, @fbrox . Full disclosure - I will be stealing that term. ; )

The cornerback #7 played well, the nose guard #8 did too. The offensive line has to get a lot better. The soph QB showed the same tendencies on freshman and jv. I understand going with the youth movement but he is not ready which is why they should be playing the senior. This team has a lot of talent.
As I said, coaching is the issue, not talent.

Welcome to Week 2 of the 2022 campaign! There was a lot left to be desired from the Week 1 loss to Badin but there were some bright spots on defense. However we move on to Cleveland JFK who the Vikes take on tonight at 7pm at Collinwood. A lot of growing up will be needed still and hopefully kinks in the offense we’re re-worked since last Friday’s abysmal offensive performance. My hope is playing JFK will give this team confidence moving forward as they will come face to face with a tough schedule this year. If those kinks aren’t worked out on offense, it’s going to be a long year… Overall my basis is, Joes offense needs to mainly run the ball. You have 3 talented backs that can move the sticks, they need to be used most of the time, especially if the passing game is struggling like it did last week. If the Vikes establish the run, they should roll this week.

My pick: VASJ
Fantastic 50 Pick: VASJ (favored by 46)

Famous last words, but tonight should be an easy one.

Are the Vikings going to broadcast on Youtube for those of us who are out of town?

I hope JFK can compete with VASJ tonight. Nothing against the Vikings but I attended and play at a CMSD school so I gotta show my support for the Eagles

Final:

VASJ picks up their first win of the year in a laugher, 50-0.

Next up, the Vikings will travel to Youngstown East next Friday night.

It’s game day leading into the long holiday weekend. The Vikings will be traveling to the Rust Belt to take on Youngstown East this evening. The Vikes are coming off a 50-0 shut out of Cleveland JFK and should have another running clock type game against East. This game also will be Rotsky’s season debut after serving his 2 game suspension for infractions dating last year. The Vikings should roll in this one.

My Pick: VASJ
Fantastic 50 Prediction: VASJ by 28 points.

Final:

VASJ 49
Youngstown East 0

Vikings post 2nd running clock shutout on the year. The Vikings are home again at John Carroll’s Don Shula Stadium against Wheeling Park from WV next Friday night.

Final:

VASJ 49
Youngstown East 0

Vikings post 2nd running clock shutout on the year. The Vikings are home again at John Carroll’s Don Shula Stadium against Wheeling Park from WV next Friday night.
Next weeks game was announced that the game will be held at Weber Stadium at the campus Gilmour Academy.

VASJ JVs played at Canton CC on Sat. morning. VASJ was leading 20-6 in the 4th qtr. when the recording ended (game wasn’t over by a longshot, but there were no more plays in the Hudl queue). VASJ D-Line was a matchup nightmare. Turnovers plagued both teams.