2022 U20 World Championships

Volk looked great in the first period and just enough in the second period. Pretty exciting match for a 3-2 i thought.

He looked very fast and in great shape. Which i believe you (or maybe MPhillips) mentioned earlier for the USA guys, being in shape.
This is America's biggest advantage over the world- their conditioning is unparalleled. Wrestling Nomad on Twitter mentioned something last night that I agree with- before, USA would just push and attack forward when the other guy was tired, which didn't always work. Looks like they are really shooting and going for step-outs now, which has been working really well for several guys (Mesenbrink and Berge in particular).

Ben Kueter U20 World Champ! Scramble results in 2+2, Kueter gets on top for three turns then gets the pin! What a couple days for Kueter, really showed some high level stuff. He's a future star if he sticks with the sport.
Just watched it. Great win. Tried and true arm bars. Well done. In his interview he said "i had him pinned way before they called it". I thought the same thing. In freestyle that was a long time to have someone pinned.

Is he going to Iowa to play football and wrestle?

Americans who have won a U20 Men's Freestyle World title before their senior year of high school since 2000...

-Ben Kueter
-Gable Steveson
-Spencer Lee
-Kyle Snyder
SO, i guess what you are saying is ........................... this win does not really translate to bigger and better. Really does not mean much in the long run. (sarcasm font on)

Last edited:
Just watched it. Great win. Tried and true arm bars. Well done. In his interview he said "i had him pinned way before they called it". I thought the same thing. In freestyle that was a long time to have someone pinned.

Is he going to Iowa to play football and wrestle?
Yes, that's the plan at least. It hasn't been done recently at the Power 5 level. Josh Hokit was an AA for Fresno State and had success on the football field, but he's the only one I can think of in the last 10 years at the D1 level.

I looked it up. 2015 and 2016 Junior World Titles. ?
50KGs though I believe which was always one of the if not the weakest weight as 17-20 year old foreigners are trying to get bigger for the 55-57 KG senior weight. They had no incentive to stay down.

Not that Spencer wasn’t and isn’t an absolute freak, but the 50KG weight was different than all the rest at Juniors. Kurt McHenry won 2 Cadet world titles and didn’t even bother attempting Juniors because they got rid of 50KGs and he was nowhere near that weight.

Last edited:
50KGs though I believe which was always one of the if not the weakest weight as 17-20 year old foreigners are trying to get bigger for the 55-57 KG senior weight. They had no incentive to stay down.

Not that Spencer wasn’t and isn’t an absolute freak, but the 50KG weight was different than all the rest at Juniors. Kurt McHenry won 2 Cadet world titles and didn’t even bother attempting Juniors because they got rid of 50KGs and he was nowhere near that weight.
This is true that 50kg was the weakest weight, but I think it speaks even more to Spencer's ability that he won 50kg twice. In the 13 years I have in my full notes, USA only won 50kg twice- the two years Spencer Lee occupied the weight.

Kueter and Volk win gold, Mesenbrink silver, Cornella loses his bronze medal match, and Thompson lost in consolation.

For group two, Berge goes for gold, Feldman for bronze, Bouzakis and Jaxon Smith got pulled back into repechage, while Facundo is eliminated having lost by one to a semifinal loser.

Mr. Keuter's future is at tight end of the Iowa Hawkeyes college football team. For as excellent as he is, the reality is that the ability to monetize success is much greater in football, and the definition of success is easier to reach in football.

Mr. Keuter's future is at tight end of the Iowa Hawkeyes college football team. For as excellent as he is, the reality is that the ability to monetize success is much greater in football, and the definition of success is easier to reach in football.
I remember reading somewhere either last year or a few years back, every starter on Iowa's offensive line were wrestling state placers in HS. Pretty smart choice... Luke Fickle, Matt Finkes and many others would attest to that.

Bouzakis loses 13-12 or something similiar.
Smith rolls 10-0 or so.

The Ladies have had a rough morning. Two 1-1 criteria losses, a TF or two.
Jimenez wins has Poland in Semi.

Last edited:
The Ladies have had a rough morning. Two 1-1 criteria losses, a TF or two.
Jimenez wins has Poland in Semi.
Nice win for Jimenez with the pin!
She was down 4-0. Not sure how the Poland wrestler got her 2nd pt though. It was 1-0 then all of a sudden 2-0.

So looks like three matches will be be about the same time coming up later today right? At 11am to 1:30pm our time.

86 Berge for 1st, bout #288
92 Smith for 3rd, bout #289
125 Feldman for 3rd, bout #291

Bennett Berge hangs tough with a really good Magamadov, but ultimately loses 10-5 to take silver. Was extremely impressed with Berge, didn't expect much coming in but really good par terre and a great motor gets him a medal. Awesome tourney, really fun to watch.

Jaxon Smith finishes in 5th place after losing 12-2 in the bronze match. Thought he competed hard and showed a lot of really good stuff, perhaps just a tad below the top guys at the weight. Great start to hopefully a big NCAA season for him

I was really impressed with the guys who beat Berge and Smith. One from France and one Aremia. Even though the Armeian was a dic at the and just slapped hands.

Ugh, tough day for Team USA. Feldman was in a scrap, got a throw but the Georgian landed on top for the pin. 5th for Feldman, pretty clear he is undersized at this weight, which might limit his future matches against these giants.

Four medals for Team USA, two gold and two silver. Three losses in bronze matches puts a little damper on things, but some great wrestling from guys like Kueter and Volk really shined through.

Yikes, Feldman goes down... how they scored that first exchange 4-4 is beyond me, and score showed him up 8-7 at the fall... that's a lil different than I saw it ?‍♂️. Nick got wrecked

Yikes, Feldman goes down... how they scored that first exchange 4-4 is beyond me, and score showed him up 8-7 at the fall... that's a lil different than I saw it ?‍♂️. Nick got wrecked
Funny you say that. I thought the same thing. He got handled. That scoring was beyond me. That dude from Georgia was impressive.

Just too small. Does he put on mass for the future?
Idk on Feldman. With Berge, Smith and Feldman i was more impressed with the other wrestler. Thats not to take anything away from what each USA wrestler accomplished, just giving credit to the other guy. Sometimes that happens.