2022 Three Rivers Conference thread

As posted on a separate thread, Bethel has hired Andre Cokes as its new head coach. This is a very good hire for Bethel. Coach Cokes will bring several members of Jay Minton's former Wayne staff with him to Bethel. And with the proximity to Wayne, you have to wonder if a few transfers eventually make their way north.
I feel like Bethel is such an opportunity if someone could get their program moving in the right direction. Definitely a growing community. Sounds like a good hire.

Bump.

Thoughts on 2022 outcome:
1. MU 10-0 loaded with 95% of 2021 team back.
2. Riverside 8-2 many returning starters back from a really good team.
3. Miami East 6-4 bringing back some young talent. Could shock everyone.
4. Northridge 5-5. Loss many starters. Will struggle.
5. Troy Christan. 4-6 losing most of their starters.
6. Covington 3-7 bringing back some young starters.
7. Bethel 1-9 cupboards aren't bare but the culture isn't one to create winning.
8. Lehman. 0-10. Will they have a team? Numbers are horrible. New coach. It will be interesting.
just here to speak on lehman, they are flirting with the high 30's low 40's on the team this upcoming year. New coach and staff bringing young energy that they didnt have last year also last year lost 4 games by a combined 20 points in the last minutes. Looking to win those games this year. 6-4, 5-5. they will surprise a lot of people this year. Also don't forget returning the number 1 qb in the league.

Bump.

Thoughts on 2022 outcome:
1. MU 10-0 loaded with 95% of 2021 team back.
2. Riverside 8-2 many returning starters back from a really good team.
3. Miami East 6-4 bringing back some young talent. Could shock everyone.
4. Northridge 5-5. Loss many starters. Will struggle.
5. Troy Christan. 4-6 losing most of their starters.
6. Covington 3-7 bringing back some young starters.
7. Bethel 1-9 cupboards aren't bare but the culture isn't one to create winning.
8. Lehman. 0-10. Will they have a team? Numbers are horrible. New coach. It will be interesting.
just here to speak on lehman, they are flirting with the high 30's low 40's on the team this upcoming year. New coach and staff bringing young energy that they didnt have last year also last year lost 4 games by a combined 20 points in the last minutes. looking to win those games this year. 6-4, 5-5. they will surprise a lot of people this year. Also don't forget returning the number 1 qb in the league.
Shawnee has never been a football school. This, to me, is the start of a better program there. Problem will be finding another lineman that can morph into a back.
No doubt they were very good this year. I feel that MU would've beat them but it would've been a good game.
The TRC would likely never go outside outside of a certain area to pull a school in. Shawnee is in a great position with the WOAC, Minster would never leave the MAC, Greenon is almost too far out. I still think eventually Fort Loramie joins the TRC along with Brookville.
North and East would be the likely move for additional teams into the TRC.
Loramie will never join TRC because they wont commit to all sports. Dont blame then SCAL is very competitive and close drives. Loramie was originally asked to be in the league a few years ago when they started forming,, they turned it down. I see it as TC getting replaced. Brookeville would be a stretch, size and distance wise.

Platfoot was #1 QB in 2021 by numbers.
Platfoot and Morter shared 1st team all-league, and both return.

Nothing against O'Leary, he's a good player and I assume will just keep getting better.
regular season O'leary finished first platfoot and morter had a few more games counting the playoffs. regular season O'leary finished 1st. very excited to watch these 3 qb's compete!

Brookeville would be a stretch, size and distance wise.
Brookville is actually smaller than Northridge, Milton, and Bethel

I like Brookville, Northwestern, and Greenon as potential targets for the TRC if you are correct and TC gets replaced.
I agree Loramie would be perfect. I also agree that they won't leave the SCAL (unless it's for the MAC)

Brookville is actually smaller than Northridge, Milton, and Bethel

I like Brookville, Northwestern, and Greenon as potential targets for the TRC if you are correct and TC gets replaced.
I agree Loramie would be perfect. I also agree that they won't leave the SCAL (unless it's for the MAC)
I agree, Personally I can see the league changing in a few years with northridge, and TC being the two outliers. definitely not opposed to brookville but i can see the league wanting to staying d5 or d6 and smaller, just my opinion.

I agree, Personally I can see the league changing in a few years with northridge, and TC being the two outliers. definitely not opposed to brookville but i can see the league wanting to staying d5 or d6 and smaller, just my opinion.
I don't see anyone leaving in this conference. I could see them add two more teams but I don't think anyone leaves for awhile.

voluntarily.....
If a school fails to field a team (especially in football) it might not be their choice.
agreed, I don't think any team leaving would be voluntary. Also league is to fragile to be jockeying around schools already, but those are just my opinion of the two schools that would be the first out

Northridge isn’t too much of an outlier. close proximity to all the southern miami county schools and the school is literally right off I75

Northridge isn’t too much of an outlier. close proximity to all the southern miami county schools and the school is literally right off I75
Obviously, i'm talking more on the athletics side of things. they have been in a little bit of trouble by the league already this year with some junior high stuff. Obviously not saying this is the sole reason or that these problems would translate to high school but started the new league off on the wrong foot administratively

Obviously, i'm talking more on the athletics side of things. they have been in a little bit of trouble by the league already this year with some junior high stuff. Obviously not saying this is the sole reason or that these problems would translate to high school but started the new league off on the wrong foot administratively
yeah, they have some of the same issues that the city league teams do in terms of fielding jv/junior high sports etc but not nearly as bad as others

Did they really beat Riverside 82-0 in an 8th grade boys game?

Northridge isn't going anywhere, Troy Christian leaving? Why?
Lehman is, by far, the smallest school and would be the one leaving if anyone. Obviously, MSGA must be from Lehman or that area, Brookville and Northridge are very easily accessed. Greenon is an excellent choice to add as is Northwestern. No Shelby or Mercer County school will join the TRC. They have an air about them and rightfully so.
The TRC needs to stay as-is for a few years and perform on a regional level and do it very well. The WOAC will likely have a team, Tri Village, compete for a state title this year.

Brookville is D5. Greenon is D5. Milton still likely fall to D5.

Lehman is, by far, the smallest school and would be the one leaving if anyone. Obviously, MSGA must be from Lehman or that area, Brookville and Northridge are very easily accessed. Greenon is an excellent choice to add as is Northwestern. No Shelby or Mercer County school will join the TRC. They have an air about them and rightfully so.
The TRC needs to stay as-is for a few years and perform on a regional level and do it very well. The WOAC will likely have a team, Tri Village, compete for a state title this year.
I think TC will be lucky to have 20-25 players next season after with graduating the 16 seniors from last year. Lehman will be flirting with 35-40 players again. TC couldn't field a combined 7th and 8th grade jr high football team. I hope that they will be able to replace 16 seniors and keep a team and be competitive in the years to come. I personally hope they do get more kids out to play football with their recent success and don't want to see the program close their doors but it has before, thats why i think they're volatile. But a successful season can change everything, like new bremen almost closed the doors and win state a couple years later and resurrected their program. I agree shelby and mercer wont leave their leagues and that's totally understandable. Curious to see what Tri Village does this year. If they can get past the MAC they'll be set for state.

TC hasn't had a Jr high team in years but they have continued to field HS teams. New coach is working on getting more kids playing. They have been going through this up and down team size cycles since Nolan revived the program in 2015-ish. I think they will be ok.

TC hasn't had a Jr high team in years but they have continued to field HS teams. New coach is working on getting more kids playing. They have been going through this up and down team size cycles since Nolan revived the program in 2015-ish. I think they will be ok.
I think the really small schools like TC, Lehman and others will always have those fluctuations. It's the larger schools like MU, East and Bethel that need to remain consistent and competitive outside of the TRC. The excuse that there are too many things keeping kids from playing sports is old and tired. There are many schools that have vibrant sports programs and that starts at home, in my opinion.
TC and Lehman are charge-to-learn organizations, so they might feel the pinch more when the economy is down. I personally would love to see Tri Village and maybe Greenon join the TRC. I feel that TV could end up being a force in many sports as would Greenon. Northwestern just doesn't fit in my opinion. TV is a perfect fit although they are removed quite a bit out in southern Darke County, but no worse than Riverside.
Not likely to happen, though.

TRC with Greenon and TV added. Could split like this if need-be
Bethel
Milton
East
Northridge
Greenon

Riverside
Lehman
Troy Christian
Covington
Tri-Village

That Milton-Tri-Village crossover would be a great game next year.

Agreed - sort of. If the SCAL explodes due to a potential Anna and Loramie transfer to the MAC, the remaining schools could possibly interested as non-football members? Houston, Russia, Fairlawn, Botkins, JC?

I think the really small schools like TC, Lehman and others will always have those fluctuations. It's the larger schools like MU, East and Bethel that need to remain consistent and competitive outside of the TRC. The excuse that there are too many things keeping kids from playing sports is old and tired. There are many schools that have vibrant sports programs and that starts at home, in my opinion.
TC and Lehman are charge-to-learn organizations, so they might feel the pinch more when the economy is down. I personally would love to see Tri Village and maybe Greenon join the TRC. I feel that TV could end up being a force in many sports as would Greenon. Northwestern just doesn't fit in my opinion. TV is a perfect fit although they are removed quite a bit out in southern Darke County, but no worse than Riverside.

Bethel
Milton
East
Northridge
Greenon

Riverside
Lehman
Troy Christian
Covington
Tri-Village

Just replace Brookville for Tri-Village and it would be perfect.

Agreed - sort of. If the SCAL explodes due to a potential Anna and Loramie transfer to the MAC, the remaining schools could possibly interested as non-football members? Houston, Russia, Fairlawn, Botkins, JC?
no way the mac expands. Anna has a sister school in the MAC for the other sports in New Knoxville so there isn't a need to fill any teams. SCAL is water tight. Also TRC will only take a school if they will commit to all sports. I don't see a non football school joining ever

Bethel
Milton
East
Northridge
Greenon

Riverside
Lehman
Troy Christian
Covington
Tri-Village

Greenon has Miami East as a week 1 game starting 2023.

This is a trend that some of the bottom half of the WOAC has been dealing with as well. Not having a pee wee program is one thing, but schools not having a middle school program, and then trying to grow at the high school level, it's just not a winning proposition. Very, very difficult to get the numbers you need at the high school level in that scenario.

no way the mac expands. Anna has a sister school in the MAC for the other sports in New Knoxville so there isn't a need to fill any teams. SCAL is water tight. Also TRC will only take a school if they will commit to all sports. I don't see a non football school joining ever
I agree, I think they would let TC stay if their football team folds, but They won’t go look for non football members.

I feel that last year and this coming season, MU would be a great game for them. I want to see a rematch with Versailles as well. Unlikely, but would love to see it.

Ft L would not play MU. I don't think we have the relationship with the AD to pull that off. He used to be the boys hoops coach at Milton. Did a bad job.laql
You know, West Liberty, Mechanicsburg, West Jeff, North Union, would all be great matchups for Milton.
I know it's much more complicated than just adding a team. Our AD does a good job. I think he has created a great culture at Milton. I am all for challenging the kids to the inth degree. If I were AD, we would play all larger schools and get beat up every week until league. Pearce would laugh at that. I think Valley View is the level of team I would have every week. Losing to Oakwood would not be ok. Valley View destroyed them the week after losing to MU.
Of course, I'm not AD much to the pleasure of everyone. Lol.

preliminary enrollment numbers released by the OHSAA (schools now have the chance to dispute them)
TRC looks like this:

Bethel 210
Northridge 192 ** (stars mean kids may be added back on)
MU 187
Miami East 171
Covington 109
Riverside 86
TC 80
Lehman 63

This looks like 2 different leagues! definite split between the 4 biggest and 4 smallest.

After competitive balance gets added in, I would guess we'll see:
Bethel and 'Ridge in d4
MU and East in d5
Cov, Riv, TC, LC in d7

FYI Milton-Union and Miami East fans, over on the MAC thread, they think Versailles will drop to d6, but Coldwater will come up to d5.