2022 St. Ignatius Football

Is Franzinger the right choice for this job, or should they have opened it up?
I think he was the school and Kyle's choice. That's the only thing that matters.

I don't see the school trying a rebirth of football glory. I just don't.

I want to throw something else out here. Every high school (hopefully) has someone like Chuck Kyle...a person who is willing to sacrifice his own ego and just get the work done, do what needs to be done. Best example for Kyle has been the Thursday track meet at Ignatius (4 or 5 of them every spring) for the kids who weren't the stars. Ignatius would host with their 40 or 50 lesser runners getting their chance. Benny would show, Ed's sometimes, John Marshall, LW, Max Hayes...all usually with small teams, kids getting a chance to go at it with the big schools. Kyle would MC, also be the guy moving the hurdles, etc.

Similar type at Ed's is Greg Urbas (who I've seen sweeping floors) and, a few decades back, Tim Robertson at St. Joe's/VASJ.
I would throw Auggie Bossu in with this elite group that has served their Catholic schools with all their heart and time.

Is Franzinger the right choice for this job, or should they have opened it up?
Great question, I coached a couple of great years with Saint Edward's Coach Lombardo and 17 years with Coach Kyle. In my opinion Coach Franzinger has the potential to be at their level. I loved coaching with all three of those guys and they help create enormously successful young men. Zinger always let me talk to the defense about the importance of properly preparing for our rival, something that can make or break good young coaches. Zinger reminds me of coach Kyle but much bigger, stronger and with a genius defensive mind, Coach Sullivan

Great question, I coached a couple of great years with Saint Edward's Coach Lombardo and 17 years with Coach Kyle. In my opinion Coach Franzinger has the potential to be at their level. I loved coaching with all three of those guys and they help create enormously successful young men. Zinger always let me talk to the defense about the importance of properly preparing for our rival, something that can make or break good young coaches. Zinger reminds me of coach Kyle but much bigger, stronger and with a genius defensive mind, Coach Sullivan
Despite my pre-season predictions that the Cats offense would have to carry the team this year, the opposite was true. In terms of individual star power this Ignatius defense was down from years past but, as an overall unit, they performed quite well. Franzinger rightfully deserves that credit.

Which position(s) did Zinger play?

I seem to remember seeing him come into the game when Ignatius had the ball close to the goal line.

He was part of that dominant linebacker crew which included John Kerr. Another great Ignatius linebacker who fell victim to the injury bug in college, if I am remembering correctly?

I'm shocked Springfield wasn't a one year deal.

The Cats have talent in the program, it's just not in two consecutive classes, and no where near the new Ignatius- the Eagles from Detroit road.
Since Ig alums usually claim that Ig never recruited (athletes), what changed? Ig has had decent to very good football teams for many decades (even before Kyle arrived on scene), so what changed that enabled Ig to emerge as the dominant team in Cleveland (and then Ohio) in the late '80's-- and then what changed that allowed Ed to surpass Ig in that regard (in the last ~decade)?

I've always been able to point to very clear, non-football (really non-athletic) reasons to attend X instead of Moeller. Those were true when X was far inferior to Moeller in football-- and those same reasons are still true today, when X is far superior to Moeller in football... wouldn't those same relative reasons for choosing Ig over Ed still hold true today? You claimed (elsewhere) that "80% of the big kids in (Greater) Cleveland are at Ed" now-- what is driving that? Ed made it to the state title game (and lost a very close one to Moeller) WAY before Ig ever got there-- why wouldn't Ed's earlier football dominance from the 1970's have continued-- and given that it did NOT, why are you so convinced that the trend will never reverse and head back the other way again?

Only games on Arbiter so far:

1. 8/20 vs Springfield @ Byers
2. 8/27 vs Mentor @ Byers
7. 10/1 vs St. Edward @ First Energy Stadium
8. 10/8 vs Moeller @ Byers

can probably guess St X on 10/15 or 10/22

Cleveland Benedictine may be in need of a Week 4 matchup

Would be great to see those two teams suit up again. So many great memories that go way back.

Either way, good luck this season in Chico’s last year!

Cleveland Benedictine may be in need of a Week 4 matchup

Would be great to see those two teams suit up again. So many great memories that go way back.

Either way, good luck this season in Chico’s last year!
ResoreTheRoar. We have a week 4 game.....Bishop Hartley

Can one of the Iggy alumni please talk to your AD about getting Benedictine back on the schedule? On the Benedictine thread the "Old Guard" is asking for the match up. :)

I was disappointed to see that Boston College’s bowl game was cancelled. I was hoping to Dennis Grossel play.

BC’s roster has him listed as a red shirt Senior. But it seems like more than 5 years since he graduated.

Does anyone recall in which year he graduated from Ignatius?

I was disappointed to see that Boston College’s bowl game was cancelled. I was hoping to Dennis Grossel play.

BC’s roster has him listed as a red shirt Senior. But it seems like more than 5 years since he graduated.

Grosel graduated in 2016.

The BC QB is Phil Jurkovec. (played for Pine Richland HS out of the WPIAL in PA). He went to Notre Dame and then transferred to BC. He won the staring job and then got hurt. Then Groesel took over. Now Jurkovec is back as the starter. When he was at Pine Richland, he was a beast. He just needed to put on some weight. About 6'4 200 as a HS senior. Solid arm, very athletic. Ran an offense very similiar to Medina. He won a state title in football and basketball. When Jurkovec was a junior or senior, not sure which, Pine Richland played Ed's at Ed's in 2016 on a Saturday in late August and it was about 90+ degrees with very high humidity. Ed's was very deep and kept their guys fresh by only having to play 1 way. PR had MANY going both ways. The game was even until the second half and the heat got to PR. The final was 28-27 Ed's. It was a really good game. I was also hoping to see Jurkovec. But I would have been fine seeing Groesel as well as I saw him play at Ed's. Just a shame.

Grosel has a few of the passing records at Ignatius, and his class had a notable loss to Hudson in the playoffs.

Great game from Eichenberg last night in the Rose Bowl. He really sparked the defensive effort in the second half. Gonna be a good one for the Buckeyes over the next few years.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 4.39.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 4.40.05 PM.png

A Kyle quote from an article in the current Ignatius magazine about Chico:

" Winning is not a sin! Winning is an earned blessing. Winning with integrity is the highest goal. The belief in God and an afterlife gives us hope for an ultimate victory - eternity."
AMEN Mr. Kyle! ?

How are people feeling about the football team in Coach Kyle’s last season? Seems like there is some talent at key spots but also a lot of holes.

Heard the incoming group has some talent.

How are people feeling about the football team in Coach Kyle’s last season? Seems like there is some talent at key spots but also a lot of holes.

Heard the incoming group has some talent.
Wasn’t sure how the incoming football class would be with Kyle turning program over? Wasn’t sure if some might go to Ed’s just because of the turnover!