2022 St. Edward Football

Any other St. Ed alums wondering where all these supposed "deep pocket" boosters are hanging around at? Is there some kind of private space at Pier W that makes all the football decisions and they pay it all out from there?

I wonder why our "deep pocket boosters" won't just build us a stadium? They obviously have this bottomless pile of cash, and we still play at Lakewood Stadium.

Just completely ridiculous. The private school derangement syndrome is getting worse.

No. Chuck Kyle from Ignatius has a relationship with the Browns. I think his official title is "youth football advisor". St. Edward has no relationship with the Browns, and the extent of the relationship St. Ignatius has is the Eds-Ignatius game is played at FirstEnergy Stadium some years if it isn't intrusive on the Browns schedule.

St. Edward plays at a falling apart Lakewood Stadium, if they had the means to use the Browns facility they would. Ironically, it's the PUBLIC SCHOOLS that get new fields and equipment from the Browns, not private schools. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but allowing it to get to the point where it's being accused that privates are getting treatment that public schools don't is completely crazy.
But what about the use or booster money to recruit star players. Is that going on?

“Deep pocket boosters” lol keep dreaming. It’s called need based …… the kids have to have a certain gpa to keep any money off they might or might not get.
And that “need base” includes several athletes. Does that “need base” includes prospective students in the band, choir, etc.?

Any other St. Ed alums wondering where all these supposed "deep pocket" boosters are hanging around at? Is there some kind of private space at Pier W that makes all the football decisions and they pay it all out from there?

I wonder why our "deep pocket boosters" won't just build us a stadium? They obviously have this bottomless pile of cash, and we still play at Lakewood Stadium.

Just completely ridiculous. The private school derangement syndrome is getting worse.
Does Lakewood Stadium belong to Lakewood HS or St Edward?

Ohio Ed choice vouchers pay $7,500 of public tax payer money towards that tuition. Deep pocket boosters pick up the rest. Please don’t tell us these players who live in public housing have parents who are paying this tuition.
I beg to differ on the "deep pocket boosters" It's simply not true. But you believe that, so in your world, you've created that "truth." Do you think every kid at St Edward gets a voucher? As a parent who paid tuition, I know that's not true.
As a St Edward alumnus, I get weekly mailers from St Edward trying to raise money, sometimes $1 at a time, to help all students (not just those from "public housing" as you suggest) for tuition. It's not that simple. Private/Catholic education isn't easy or cheap. And you'd be surprised to learn that those kids you describe as being from "public housing" are actually from suburbs in the Cleveland area.
Look, I get it. You believe there's a magic wand that schools like St Edward produce to make a "sugar daddy" booster appear with stacks of cash. What world are you living in? I'm telling you its just not the case.
My son played rugby at Eds. We (the rugby parents) sold $2 hot dogs, one at a time, for our kids to get new uniforms and travel to Elkhart Indiana for tournaments. I'm proud of the sacrifice I see from kids and families that attend St Edward. It's a special place. Its not free. You have to work and do extra to be a part of it. We're not better than anyone else, but were not a cheap suit that's bought by an imaginary booster as you seem to believe.
And I should add, I'm paying taxes towards a $13,000 per pupil expenditure each year for a public school system in Cleveland that I don't use, but don't let that fact get in the way of your argument.

Last edited:
And that “need base” includes several athletes. Does that “need base” includes prospective students in the band, choir, etc.?
Idk what’s so hard to understand, the school knows how much money the parents make , if they can pay the full tuition they do. A few vouchers are a drop in the bucket of the 900 plus kids.

St Ed’s isint some 100yr old institution with endless bank account backers.

Can we get back to talking football. This is the same old crap year after year. Yesterday the eagles came away with a win. Cant have 4 turnovers in a game and win. Luckily just one turned into points for Elder. 2 straight games we come out of the gate slow. This could bite us in the back side. It was a fun game to watch. It does not get any easier. These young kids are maturing fast. This will help in the post season.

A quality win against another quality opponent in Elder. Elder is always well prepared and well coached by its staff. Four turnovers can give an opponent like Elder an opportunity to win a game on the road.

Eagles need to continue to test their new offensive playmakers to be consistent each week to excel. They appear somewhat unsettled at RG on O and trying to determine best lineup as the season matures.

D has talent. Must find best DT rotation. DT play could make the difference between a very good D or an exceptional D as this season progresses.

Another great matchup this weekend against the Tigers.

Go Eagles!

Ohio Ed choice vouchers pay $7,500 of public tax payer money towards that tuition. Deep pocket boosters pick up the rest. Please don’t tell us these players who live in public housing have parents who are paying this tuition.
Which players live in public housing?

No. Chuck Kyle from Ignatius has a relationship with the Browns. I think his official title is "youth football advisor". St. Edward has no relationship with the Browns, and the extent of the relationship St. Ignatius has is the Eds-Ignatius game is played at FirstEnergy Stadium some years if it isn't intrusive on the Browns schedule.

St. Edward plays at a falling apart Lakewood Stadium, if they had the means to use the Browns facility they would. Ironically, it's the PUBLIC SCHOOLS that get new fields and equipment from the Browns, not private schools. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but allowing it to get to the point where it's being accused that privates are getting treatment that public schools don't is completely crazy.
It’s easier for people that hate private schools to believe a rumor and just go with it.

A quality win against another quality opponent in Elder. Elder is always well prepared and well coached by its staff. Four turnovers can give an opponent like Elder an opportunity to win a game on the road.

Eagles need to continue to test their new offensive playmakers to be consistent each week to excel. They appear somewhat unsettled at RG on O and trying to determine best lineup as the season matures.

D has talent. Must find best DT rotation. DT play could make the difference between a very good D or an exceptional D as this season progresses.

Another great matchup this weekend against the Tigers.

Go Eagles!
This is why you play a team like Elder. It shows you things that you need to figure out. 17-14 was closer than the game looked to me. Elder's game plan worked well with short little routes and runs designed to take up time and keep our offense off the field. The defense I thought played disciplined, especially when given a few short fields because of offensive turnovers.

Offense is still working out a lot. They ran the ball well until the late fumble and not being able to punch in a TD in the 3rd quarter. The passing game had some major mistakes with the INT's, a bad drop and some overthrows. They are putting it together but if one of those things goes away then this game is not that close. On to Massillon and the first real road game of the year.

Can we get back to talking football. This is the same old crap year after year. Yesterday the eagles came away with a win. Cant have 4 turnovers in a game and win. Luckily just one turned into points for Elder. 2 straight games we come out of the gate slow. This could bite us in the back side. It was a fun game to watch. It does not get any easier. These young kids are maturing fast. This will help in the post season.
Actually, Eagle turnovers led to both Elder touchdowns – the first interception in the 1st quarter and the first fumble in the 4th quarter.

Maybe all the deep pocket boosters went to St. Ignatius? ;)
I'm not directing this response to you personally, I'm just making an observation off your post.

St Ignatius certainly has more money than St Edward, and can afford to award more money to students for tuition, that's a given. But the insinuation that either school has "deep boosters" openly paying tuition for athletes is a nefarious claim. Both schools would be playing Mater Dei or Mission Viejo In California or Buford in Georgia if that was the case. Neither school is in that class.

In St Edward's case, we struggle financially to keep kids (athletes and non-athletes alike) in school, given the high cost of private education.
St Edward is a great experience for young men. It takes a sacrifice to attend St Edward. The kids are special. They believe in "the competence to see and the courage to act" mantra of St Edward.

At St Edward, we're not better than anyone else, but anyone that labels these kids as "hired guns" really doesn't appreciate the sacrifices these kids make to attend St. Edward. I wish the haters would read up on the school before making such devisive statements.

Last edited:
If Ed’s didn’t have a line bigger than most college and NFL teams you would almost have me believing all of this and feel sorry for them.

Maybe if they didn’t spend all their money giving away free tuition to players they could afford a decent stadium to play in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sehs73

I get trying to defend St. Ed’s but it’s not worth the time typing your facts. It easier and a lazier approach for posters, like PTO, to just make blanket statements without any proof to just say boosters pay tuition. Applaud your efforts but your not going to change any opinions.

If Ed’s didn’t have a line bigger than most college and NFL teams you would almost have me believing all of this and feel sorry for them.

Maybe if they didn’t spend all their money giving away free tuition to players they could afford a decent stadium to play in?
Maybe they should rename St Eds "Little Sisters of the Poor"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to add on to previous statements but if Ed’s and Iggy etc are “struggling” to keep kids enrolled how are their enrollment numbers still what they are?

Perhaps all of the people in the highest end of the middle class and upper class that are able to pay the high tuition of private schools that live in the Cleveland area just happen to have incredibly large and athletic children and this explains the dominant athletic achievements of Ignatius and Ed’s over the past 40 years 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not trying to add on to previous statements but if Ed’s and Iggy etc are “struggling” to keep kids enrolled how are their enrollment numbers still what they are?
For reasons stated multiple times already. Can’t afford tuition and if kids don’t start they go where they can.

Perhaps all of the people in the highest end of the middle class and upper class that are able to pay the high tuition of private schools that live in the Cleveland area just happen to have incredibly large and athletic children and this explains the dominant athletic achievements of Ignatius and Ed’s over the past 40 years 🤷🏼‍♂️
Maybe there's something in their holy water