2022 St. Edward Football

Those 90% of teams that would be 0-3 also aren’t getting the BEST kids in the area coming to their school. They get what the community has.
More than happy to have this debate for the 400th time. It's true private schools like St Edward attract student athletes from a wider net than the geographic boundaries of most public schools. That's a given. So is that all there is to discuss? I guess from your perspective that's all anyone needs, or should, consider. Well, that's a nice universe you live in, but it's not the real world or the real world of Catholic or private education.

It costs about $15,000 a year to send a student to St. Edward or any of the major D1 Catholic schools. Where does that money come from? Do you think the State pays for it? Vouchers (if they're even available) pay a limited amount. You may think these schools are swimming in money (OK, maybe one school is swimming in money) but it is not St. Edward.

Students who come to St. Edward come for the education and experience. And yes, the experience for some includes being a part of a premier football program in Ohio.

Their parents sacrifice a great deal. Every student ends up paying a portion, if not all of their tuition. They come because they want to be a part of something that they have identified as being special. It's a sacrifice to attend St Edward even for students who live next door to the school, let alone those traveling a great distance. They come because it's special experience.

And if you think we get all the best players in every sport you're delusional. We don't. We lose students because of the financial realities. We struggle to compete against what is now the national schedule we must play.

If you want to be a hater based on geographic boundaries, at least appreciate and understand the incredible cost and commitment crossing those boundaries cost these young students and their families.

More than happy to have this debate for the 400th time. It's true private schools like St Edward attract student athletes from a wider net than the geographic boundaries of most public schools. That's a given. So is that all there is to discuss? I guess from your perspective that's all anyone needs, or should, consider. Well, that's a nice universe you live in, but it's not the real world or the real world of Catholic or private education.

It costs about $15,000 a year to send a student to St. Edward or any of the major D1 Catholic schools. Where does that money come from? Do you think the State pays for it? Vouchers (if they're even available) pay a limited amount. You may think these schools are swimming in money (OK, maybe one school is swimming in money) but it is not St. Edward.

Students who come to St. Edward come for the education and experience. And yes, the experience for some includes being a part of a premier football program in Ohio.

Their parents sacrifice a great deal. Every student ends up paying a portion, if not all of their tuition. They come because they want to be a part of something that they have identified as being special. It's a sacrifice to attend St Edward even for students who live next door to the school, let alone those traveling a great distance. They come because it's special experience.

And if you think we get all the best players in every sport you're delusional. We don't. We lose students because of the financial realities. We struggle to compete against what is now the national schedule we must play.

If you want to be a hater based on geographic boundaries, at least appreciate and understand the incredible cost and commitment crossing those boundaries cost these young students and their families.
This ! The haters think the school just throws free money around to all the primer athletes in north east Ohio. It’s the easy cop out when they get beat by St. Ed’s, or any private for that matter.

The recruiting argument is lazy to me at this point. For one, how come all the Catholic/Private schools aren't powerhouses in everything then? I don't see people being mad about NDCL, Roger Bacon, St. John's football teams. For another, that's an advantage that Private/Catholic schools have, public schools have advantages too. Good team cultures attract student athletes more than anything, which stem from great coaches who know how to run their programs. This includes who they hire as assistants too. I think the next big step as far as football is concerned is the dedicated offseason program for players who are not playing other sports and having a strength and conditioning coach to run it who actually knows what they are doing. There are a number of factors that go into having a really good football team beyond the talent of the players. This is not to say talent does not matter whatsoever but if talent was the biggest indicator of winning a title or not, Glenville would have 4-5 championships at this point.

For this week's game, I am interested to see what happens. Elder to me seems a lot more like Pittsburgh Central Catholic, talented and disciplined but perhaps not the team speed of St. Ed's. Over the years it has been a weird game for St. Ed's. There have been blow outs when I expected a tight game, the massive comeback win in 2018, a tight loss on the road with the 2015 team that may have been the most talented team St. Ed's has ever had. Last year there was a running clock, so I am just interested to see what will happen.

It depends which Elder team shows up. Will it be the team that played well against a talented PC team and shut them down, or the team that couldn't put away Springboro. Not knocking Springboro, they played a good game and could have/should have won. Elder didn't play particularly well though.

Elder defense should hopefully keep this close, but I am concerned about a lack of speed in the defensive secondary. The Elder offense might struggle to move the ball. Drew Ramsey is gone. They need to find some offense through the air. I'm not so sure Elder can run the ball against St. Edward like they did against Springboro.

Eagles get a win against a quality opponent. This could very well be the best O-line and D-line they will play against in 2022. The O missed a few opportunities to break open the game with missed throws to Mason. The D found themselves on the field the 1st half far too long...the roughing the kicker error cost the Eagles 3 points. DB's need to play through the receiver...be as deep as the deepest WR. They tried to jump a few passes, but bad angles and misjudging the ball cost them on the late Cherry Creek TD drive.

Next week they play a 3-0 Elder.

Go Eagles!
Yes, hard to imagine we will see an O/D line combination as good as Cherry Creek had. D line especially. Between the speed rush from Purchase and the power rush from Brackney, it took everything Roebuck and Armstrong had to keep Bullock upright on many occasions. Casey's mechanics seemed off from the get go, and the constant pressure didn't help. Several errant throws as you mentioned that could have kept drives going. The offense could not find any semblance of a rhythm the entire first half. Marvin put the team on his back the second half. I think he was down before the goal line on his TD carry, but can't imagine he wouldn't have punched it in from inside the one on the next play anyway. Similarly, I thought Bullock may have fumbled just as he was crossing the goal line for the go-ahead TD.

Defense had to be exhausted after that game. Still struggling with defending slot receivers and giving up long third down conversions. Cherry Creek lined up their stud Cisse in the slot most of the game. Not sure if that's where they usually play him or if they saw our weakness on film and decided to exploit it. Almost all of their long completions came from the slot up the seam, taking advantage of a linebacker or one of our undersized safeties. Mason mis-timed a couple that should have been PBU's, but also saved a TD in the first half with a great play on the ball. I like having him back there playing center field on passing downs or against pass-happy teams. Covers a lot of ground.

For this week's game, I am interested to see what happens. Elder to me seems a lot more like Pittsburgh Central Catholic, talented and disciplined but perhaps not the team speed of St. Ed's. Over the years it has been a weird game for St. Ed's. There have been blow outs when I expected a tight game, the massive comeback win in 2018, a tight loss on the road with the 2015 team that may have been the most talented team St. Ed's has ever had. Last year there was a running clock, so I am just interested to see what will happen.
You’re thinking about the 2014 squad. St. Edward lost to Elder 21-14 at The Pit that year. The Eagles beat the Panthers 31-20 at home in 2015.

Elder has not fared well in making the trip north over the years. The last home loss to the Panthers came back in 2009 against a 4-6 Ed's team that failed to qualify for the postseason (the last losing season we have had in over a decade). I don't know much at all about this year's Elder team other than they are 3-0 with a couple solid wins in recent weeks against PC and Springboro. I also have a ton of respect for coach Ramsey and his offensive schemes, and know he will be looking to exploit the Eagle secondary which is a work in progress.

You’re thinking about the 2014 squad. St. Edward lost to Elder 21-14 at The Pit that year. The Eagles beat the Panthers 31-20 at home in 2015.
Ah yes, thank you, I knew it was one of those years. The series goes back pretty far at this point, overall record is 10-7 in Ed's favor.
1996 Elder 23-7 over Ed's
1997 Elder 35-28 3OT over Ed's
2003 Elder 31-7 over Ed's State Title game (7-7 at half)
2007 Ed's 10-7 over Elder
2008 Elder 52-31 over Ed's
2009 Elder 38-14 over Ed's
2010 Ed's 20-3 over Elder
2011 Ed's 30-10 over Elder
2012 Ed's 42-28 over Elder
2013 Ed's 48-7 over Elder
2014 Elder 21-14 over Ed's
2015 Ed's 31-20 over Elder
2016 Elder 15-9 over Ed's
2017 Ed's 40-7 over Elder
2018 Ed's 36-30 over Elder
2019 Ed's 42-25 over Elder
2021 Ed's 48-14 over Elder

Last edited:
Just a point on the above series info. . . the teams also played in 2005, with Eds winning 34-17

Overall, Ed's leads the series 11-7, winning 9 of the last 11 matchups

This is from the St. Edward game notes released yesterday by Adam Mendoza

1662569804692.png

Are there any plans to fix the First Fed Lakewood scoreboard? The board is pathetic for any High School Stadium. Some of the lights are burnt out.

Are there any plans to fix the First Fed Lakewood scoreboard? The board is pathetic for any High School Stadium. Some of the lights are burnt out.
It would be nice. The so called muny stadium type scoreboard has not worked for years.

I will be making my first trip up to Lakewood stadium on Saturday. Where is the best place to try and park at ?
If you are early, plenty of side streets for parking. If not an hour in advance, its best to park in the HS lot at the intersection of Bunts and Franklin roads.

The fact it's gotten this bad is pretty terrible. The stands are not much better. They replaced the turf I believe before last season but they need to put a lot more work into it. I always thought Lakewood was one of the better high school stadiums in the 90s but it is in need of some major updating and renovation.

Reactions: eds
The fact it's gotten this bad is pretty terrible. The stands are not much better. They replaced the turf I believe before last season but they need to put a lot more work into it. I always thought Lakewood was one of the better high school stadiums in the 90s but it is in need of some major updating and renovation.
First Federal Lakewood is the only thing clear on the sign. I would think they would be embarrassed of the sign. I agree with other enhancements needed throughout the stadium. Does Ed's have a long term lease or year to year?

It seems the game notes page has been updated on the athletic website
Patrick Kennedy sends out (on average) 17-20 pages of game notes every week. You'll get them if your on the booster's mailing list. The notes have everything from current rosters for each game, all the stats for the year to date, history of matchups, analysis of the game, and a wealth of other material.

I personally never said I begrudge anyone who sends their kid where they think it is in their kids best interest. If a kid is able to better his current and future situation based on attending a school, by all means.

But I think anyone who thinks that St. Ed’s and St. I aren’t at a HUGE advantage athletically over a public school is the DELUSIONAL one, DELUSIONAL is the word I think you used.

So what was the deal today? Did we come out flat after last weeks big win or is Elder that good? Thanks
I think our offense is just young and big , we wear ppl out. We need some big plays here and there , offense is still a work in progress. It seems like our stud DEs always show up late when needed.

These tight games are a great learning experiences for our brutal schedule. My only fear is getting in a shootout at some point because I don’t think our offense can explode for 40plus.

I personally never said I begrudge anyone who sends their kid where they think it is in their kids best interest. If a kid is able to better his current and future situation based on attending a school, by all means.

But I think anyone who thinks that St. Ed’s and St. I aren’t at a HUGE advantage athletically over a public school is the DELUSIONAL one, DELUSIONAL is the word I think you used.
A huge advantage over who? The average D1 public school without open enrollment and limited facilities? Yes, St Edward and St. Ignatius have HUGE advantages. But those advantages come with a huge price tag. And that's my point.

However, not all public school programs are run of the mill. The Springfield team St Edward defeated in the D1 title game last year had as many or more great athletes than St Edward. IMO St Edward prevailed because of a tougher regular season schedule that better prepared St Edward players for that big stage. There was little difference in those two teams.

Every St Edward player I talked to last year told me Upper Arlington (St Edward won 16-10 to get to the title game) was an amazing team with incredible coaching and discipline. UA certainly didn't think they were overmatched and nearly beat my Eagles.

My point is people say 'You have an advantage!" and never mention or consider the $16,000 a year it costs to attend St Edward. And for the record, we don't have the kind of endowment where we can just "give kids a free ride." We struggle to keep kids in school with the financial demands families face.

So I understand and respect your point. Yes, we have an advantage, but we also envy many of the incredible facilities some major public schools have that we can't afford.

A huge advantage over who? The average D1 public school without open enrollment and limited facilities? Yes, St Edward and St. Ignatius have HUGE advantages. But those advantages come with a huge price tag. And that's my point.

However, not all public school programs are run of the mill. The Springfield team St Edward defeated in the D1 title game last year had as many or more great athletes than St Edward. IMO St Edward prevailed because of a tougher regular season schedule that better prepared St Edward players for that big stage. There was little difference in those two teams.

Every St Edward player I talked to last year told me Upper Arlington (St Edward won 16-10 to get to the title game) was an amazing team with incredible coaching and discipline. UA certainly didn't think they were overmatched and nearly beat my Eagles.

My point is people say 'You have an advantage!" and never mention or consider the $16,000 a year it costs to attend St Edward. And for the record, we don't have the kind of endowment where we can just "give kids a free ride." We struggle to keep kids in school with the financial demands families face.

So I understand and respect your point. Yes, we have an advantage, but we also envy many of the incredible facilities some major public schools have that we can't afford.
Ohio Ed choice vouchers pay $7,500 of public tax payer money towards that tuition. Deep pocket boosters pick up the rest. Please don’t tell us these players who live in public housing have parents who are paying this tuition.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't St. Eds football program also connected to the Cleveland Browns where they can use their facilities and perhaps get access to certain training, instruction, coaching, etc that other HS players don't get?

Ohio Ed choice vouchers pay $7,500 of public tax payer money towards that tuition. Deep pocket boosters pick up the rest. Please don’t tell us these players who live in public housing have parents who are paying this tuition.
But is that deep pocket booster money used specifically and intentionally to get the best football recruits from all over NE Ohio and possibly beyond? If so, that's wrong and unethical. It's bribery. And it's a huge competitive advantage.

“Deep pocket boosters” lol keep dreaming. It’s called need based …… the kids have to have a certain gpa to keep any money off they might or might not get.

“Deep pocket boosters” lol keep dreaming. It’s called need based …… the kids have to have a certain gpa to keep any money off they might or might not get.
Thank you for finally admitting what everyone already knows. The full 16k tuition rate quoted here is not charged to everyone. My guess is the rate is right around the $7,500 the state pays with my tax dollars for anyone who can play ball.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't St. Eds football program also connected to the Cleveland Browns where they can use their facilities and perhaps get access to certain training, instruction, coaching, etc that other HS players don't get?
No. Chuck Kyle from Ignatius has a relationship with the Browns. I think his official title is "youth football advisor". St. Edward has no relationship with the Browns, and the extent of the relationship St. Ignatius has is the Eds-Ignatius game is played at FirstEnergy Stadium some years if it isn't intrusive on the Browns schedule.

St. Edward plays at a falling apart Lakewood Stadium, if they had the means to use the Browns facility they would. Ironically, it's the PUBLIC SCHOOLS that get new fields and equipment from the Browns, not private schools. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but allowing it to get to the point where it's being accused that privates are getting treatment that public schools don't is completely crazy.