2022 St. Edward Football

I do wonder why the Eagles don't get more national love. Not that they care or it means anything, but if Ignatius had the level of skill and size Eds has this year, I believe they would get more attention. (Strictly on past recognition)

With the current landscape of high school football, including the academy-type programs (IMG, St. Frances, etc.) and transfer factories (Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John Bosco), there’s a ceiling for how high any Ohio or traditional high school team can expect to climb.

With the current landscape of high school football, including the academy-type programs (IMG, St. Frances, etc.) and transfer factories (Mater Dei, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. John Bosco), there’s a ceiling for how high any Ohio or traditional high school team can expect to climb.
Good point.

What do y’all think St Ed’s record will be this season?
14-2 Regular season losses to Mighty Moe and Iggy (Upset in Chuck Kyle's last season).
Eds wins the rematch and takes D1 title for second year in a row.
Adam Mendoza and Carmen Angelo unable to walk out of Benson stadium for two hours after the W.

Pitt Central Catholic I would lose sleep on as well. To me, they are just like any of the Cincinnati schools or us and Ignatius. Cherry Creek is going to be a game. They have the talent but my Ohio bias will play into this and not trust Colorado's high school football. That doesn't mean Cherry Creek isn't good, just that they may not be as used to playing tight games. I also think travel is always a big factor for high school athletes, there just is not really a great way to prepare for that besides doing it consistently enough to get used to it.
PCC is typical run, run, run, and run some more. That as we all know will not work against St. Ed's any year. But especially with the defense it sounds/looks like they will have this year. Not worth the gas on that game. I will be somewhere else that week.

I do wonder why the Eagles don't get more national love. Not that they care or it means anything, but if Ignatius had the level of skill and size Eds has this year, I believe they would get more attention. (Strictly on past recognition)
Maybe it's because of the unknown at the Qb position. Qb is huge in football. That usually helps boost a teams rankings. As of right now, not sure if many know who their Qb is or will be outside of St. Ed's fans. Just a guess.

From the article:

But Roebuck isn’t the only talented 2024 offensive lineman at St. Edward. Deontae Armstrong is drawing interest from recruiters too. The 6-foot-7 and 255-pound Armstrong played on the junior varsity during his sophomore season, but is expected to be a key member of the St. Edward varsity offensive line this coming season.
I read an article that said Armstrong weighs in at 275.

Maybe it's because of the unknown at the Qb position. Qb is huge in football. That usually helps boost a teams rankings. As of right now, not sure if many know who their Qb is or will be outside of St. Ed's fans. Just a guess.
They know. Junior Bullock (Bulloch?) is undefeated as a starter on the 9th and 10th grade levels.

Harder now with those above stated schools , a few yrs ago we reached 1 in the country then lost the next week at the Pitt vs elder.

only shot we have to win that mythical championship is have 2-3 seasons of undefeated ball and 6-8 div 1 guys and play one big game vs one of those teams that are always on top.

I’d love to see the eagles play a big school from Texas or Cali . A few teams we have played before and split wins losses with are the prep jersey teams .

Harder now with those above stated schools , a few yrs ago we reached 1 in the country then lost the next week at the Pitt vs elder.

only shot we have to win that mythical championship is have 2-3 seasons of undefeated ball and 6-8 div 1 guys and play one big game vs one of those teams that are always on top.

I’d love to see the eagles play a big school from Texas or Cali . A few teams we have played before and split wins losses with are the prep jersey teams .
Yes, but the eagles had a bad loss against DBP from Jersey back when DBP were in their prime maybe 8 years ago. They should forget that since it’s been so long but I have to think that weighs on voter minds.

They know. Junior Bullock (Bulloch?) is undefeated as a starter on the 9th and 10th grade levels.
When you say "they know", who is "they"? I think the poster was wondering why St. Ed's wasn't ranked nationally. The "they" probably does NOT know the Ed's Qb.

When is the last time any Ohio school won a meaningful game against a top national opponent? St. X over Don Bosco in 2008? DBP blasted Ignatius and Ed’s respectively in 2010 and 2011. The 2010 Ignatius team was bad, but 2011 St. Ed’s was a top 5 team in Ohio at worst.

When is the last time any Ohio school won a meaningful game against a top national opponent? St. X over Don Bosco in 2008? DBP blasted Ignatius and Ed’s respectively in 2010 and 2011. The 2010 Ignatius team was bad, but 2011 St. Ed’s was a top 5 team in Ohio at worst.
Agreed. Ed’s had done very well against Florida, PA, Michigan and random states with one or two gene series. They haven’t had an out of state signature win in a long time.

Not certain it was considered a signature win, but they did play and beat a very good St. Joe's Prep team at Lakewood HS a few years back (2016'ish).

Go Eagles!

That was a very solid win for the Eagles, but that was St. Joseph Regional out of Montvale NJ in 2014. The same year the Cats beat St. Joe's Prep, the Jesuit school out of Philly. Both Ohio teams lost the second games of those series' the next year in 2015.

Not certain it was considered a signature win, but they did play and beat a very good St. Joe's Prep team at Lakewood HS a few years back (2016'ish).

Go Eagles!
You may be thinking of Pine Richland (PA). They had a very good QB that I believe was Notre Dame bound. In 2015, the Eagles had wins over a nationally ranked Gilman (MD) team, as well as Bergen Catholic (NJ), Cocoa (FL), and Mainland (FL).

You may be thinking of Pine Richland (PA). They had a very good QB that I believe was Notre Dame bound. In 2015, the Eagles had wins over a nationally ranked Gilman (MD) team, as well as Bergen Catholic (NJ), Cocoa (FL), and Mainland (FL).
I know the game you are talking about. I was at it at Lakewood. Yes, Pine Richland had a QB (Phil Jurkovec), who at the time was a ND commit. He went to ND, only to transfer to Boston College and is the starter there now. I think he is in his last year at BC. Pine Ric=hland was scoring at will vs. Eds. PR was not a very deep team, and it was one of the hottest, most humid days we see around here. PR wins that game if the weather was more of a normal cooler type day. But I was on that sideline, and most of their OL/DL went both ways and the WR/DB were going both ways. You could just see by the middle of the 3rd quarter, PR was gassed and had nothing left due to the heat. And Ed's depth and only having to play 1 side of the ball took over. Otherwise I believe that could have been one of the best games/matchups you could see. It would have been a lot more points, and won in the last minute of the game. Neither team could stop the other.

Last edited:
I know the game you are talking about. I was on it at Lakewood. Yes, Pine Richland had a QB (Phil Jurkovec), who at the time was a ND commit. He went to ND, only to transfer to Boston College and is the starter there now. I think he is in his last year at BC. Pine Ric=hland was scoring at will vs. Eds. PR was not a very deep team, and it was one of the hottest, most humid days we see around here. PR wins that game if the weather was more of a normal cooler type day. But I was on that sideline, and most of their OL/DL went both ways and the WR/DB were going both ways. You could just see by the middle of the 3rd quarter, PR was gassed and had nothing left due to the heat. And Ed's depth and only having to play 1 side of the ball took over. Otherwise I believe that could have been one of the best games/matchups you could see. It would have been a lot more points, and won in the last minute of the game. Neither team could stop the other.
Final was 28-27. I'd hardly consider that scoring at will on each other. There was a lot of yardage put up though from what I remember. Jurkovec was the real deal.

Final was 28-27. I'd hardly consider that scoring at will on each other. There was a lot of yardage put up though from what I remember. Jurkovec was the real deal.
I realize the score wasn't super high, but they both moved the ball pretty much at will. Just didn't always finish. And if my memory serves me well, the score was in the 20's for both teams at halftime. PR wilted from the heat and I watched it with my own eyes. Bottom line, I would have loved to see the game played minus that heat and brutal humidity.

Ohio Football talent is way down.

The first Eagle State Championship team in 2010 had ample D1 talent on both sides of the ball. (* = P5)

OL Kyle Kalis - Michigan*
OL Geoff Mogus - Northwestern*
OL Tyler Orloski - West Virginia*
DL Deontae Gibson - Northwestern*
DL Darryl Render - Pitt*
DL Greg Kuhar - Northwestern*
TE Sam Grant - Oklahoma*
WR Quincy Jones - Eastern Michigan
LB Avery Baily - Ball State
RB Terrell Bates - Kent State
LB Sam Martello - Duquesne (I-AA)

Same for 2014

RB Cole Gest - Indiana*
WR/DB Shaun Crawford - Notre Dame*
WR Alex Stump - Ohio State*
RB/LB Andrew Dowell - Mich State*
DB David Dowell - Mich State*
DB Antonio Butler - Pitt*
LB Troy Dipre - Minnesota*
LB Troy Henderson - Syracuse
QB Brett Keane - South Florida
DB Carl Jones - Syracuse
DL Michael O'Malley - Duquesne (I-AA)

The star power dropped off considerably in 2015

RB Cole Gest - Indiana*
DB Carl Jones - Syracuse
WR Matt Gonzalez - Robert Morris (I-AA)
DL Michael O'Mally - Duquesne (I-AA)
S Kyle Hegedus - YSU (I-AA)

Another slight drop off in DI commits from 2018 title team

WR Quintel Kent - Michigan*
DL Trey Bixby (so) - Minnesota*
RB Joey Formani - BGSU
OL Ronan Chambers - Akron
OL Brian Kilbane - BGSU

No FCS Seniors on 2021 title team.

DL Matt Ouderman - Butler (I-AA)
DB Joel Castleberry - UT Martin (I-AA)
DL Dwight Harvey - Alamaba A&M (I-AA)
WR Rayshawn Manning YSU (I-AA)
OL Ben Roebuck (so) - Uncommitted - P5 offers
DL Michael Kilbane - Northwestern*
LB Wyatt Gedeon - Coastal Carolina (I-AA)

I think the 2022 team has a bounce-back from a DI talent perspective - somewhat resembling the 2010 team. Several big DI kids on the OL & DL, but not at the skill positions. But the trend in talent is clear looking across Ohio. Glenville just had their first OSU commit since 2015 - when a decade ago it was 2-3 players per year.

Ohio Football talent is way down.

The first Eagle State Championship team in 2010 had ample D1 talent on both sides of the ball. (* = P5)

OL Kyle Kalis - Michigan*
OL Geoff Mogus - Northwestern*
OL Tyler Orloski - West Virginia*
DL Deontae Gibson - Northwestern*
DL Darryl Render - Pitt*
DL Greg Kuhar - Northwestern*
TE Sam Grant - Oklahoma*
WR Quincy Jones - Eastern Michigan
LB Avery Baily - Ball State
RB Terrell Bates - Kent State
LB Sam Martello - Duquesne (I-AA)

Same for 2014

RB Cole Gest - Indiana*
WR/DB Shaun Crawford - Notre Dame*
WR Alex Stump - Ohio State*
RB/LB Andrew Dowell - Mich State*
DB David Dowell - Mich State*
LB Troy Dipre - Minnesota*
LB Troy Henderson - Syracuse
QB Brett Keane - South Florida
DB Carl Jones - Syracuse
DL Michael O'Malley - Duquesne (I-AA)

The star power dropped off considerably in 2015

RB Cole Gest - Indiana*
DB Carl Jones - Syracuse
WR Matt Gonzalez - Robert Morris (I-AA)
DL Michael O'Mally - Duquesne (I-AA)
S Kyle Hegedus - YSU (I-AA)

Another slight drop off in DI commits from 2018 title team

WR Quintel Kent - Michigan*
DL Trey Bixby (so) - Minnesota*
RB Joey Formani - BGSU
OL Ronan Chambers - Akron
OL Brian Kilbane - BGSU

No FCS Seniors on 2021 title team.

DL Matt Ouderman - Butler (I-AA)
DB Joel Castleberry - UT Martin (I-AA)
DL Dwight Harvey - Alamaba A&M (I-AA)
WR Rayshawn Manning YSU (I-AA)
OL Ben Roebuck (so) - Uncommitted - P5 offers
DL Michael Kilbane - Northwestern*
LB Wyatt Gedeon - Coastal Carolina (I-AA)

I think the 2022 team has a bounce-back from a DI talent perspective - somewhat resembling the 2010 team. Several big DI kids on the OL & DL, but not at the skill positions. But the trend in talent is clear looking across Ohio. Glenville just had their first OSU commit since 2015 - when a decade ago it was 2-3 players per year.
RB Danny Enovitch Class of 2021 -Navy
LB Zyion Freer Brown- Dartmouth

Also missing Solomon Warfield - Iowa on the 2010 team. The point is absolutely correct though. No FBS seniors at either Ignatius or Ed’s last season, and hardly any the year before either. When is the last time that happened?

Two other eagles from the 2018 title team went to Michigan. RB Jordan Castleberry who later transferred to WVU and a safety who is a legacy with a grandfather and father playing for Michigan. I can't recall his name and last I checked he is still on the roster.

Two other eagles from the 2018 title team went to Michigan. RB Jordan Castleberry who later transferred to WVU and a safety who is a legacy with a grandfather and father playing for Michigan. I can't recall his name and last I checked he is still on the roster.
Kolesar. Both walked on or were preferred at U of M their freshman year.

Go Eagles.