2022 St. Edward Football

Do you think with kyles retirement announcement and St Ed’s state title and recent dominance that St Ed’s might have gotten an even bigger bump in incoming freshman? Or iggy might get people excited about a younger coach? And talent split?
Don’t attack me new to this site,
Iggy needs freshblood and an outside voice , and a much improved offense can’t just run the same thing year after year without the best athletes, I don’t see them dramatically getting better.

Lombardo has St Ed’s rolling that combined with the staff staying together and supposedly loaded classes coming up I don’t see anything changing.

Speaking of loaded classes, the '24 group has been picking up steam on the college recruiting trail lately even though most have yet to play any significant varsity reps. Among those to land D1 offers so far:

Ben Roebuck (OT) : Penn St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Northwestern, Michigan St. (among others)
Kyan Mason (ATH): Kentucky, Charlotte, Miami (OH), Kent St.
Deontae Armstrong (OT): Kentucky, Toledo, Akron, Kent St., Miami (OH)
Devontae Armstrong (OT): Kentucky, Toledo, Akron, Kent St., Miami (OH)
Troy Regovich (DE): Kentucky
Michael Balogh (TE/DE): Kentucky, Toledo

Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out on the defense this year with what looks like a log jam of talented DE/Edge players. Kilbane will obviously man one side. Does Gedeon slide back to a more traditional LB role to allow some combination of Regovich/Balogh/Bouldin on the opposite side?

Speaking of loaded classes, the '24 group has been picking up steam on the college recruiting trail lately even though most have yet to play any significant varsity reps. Among those to land D1 offers so far:

Ben Roebuck (OT) : Penn St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Northwestern, Michigan St. (among others)
Kyan Mason (ATH): Kentucky, Charlotte, Miami (OH), Kent St.
Deontae Armstrong (OT): Kentucky, Toledo, Akron, Kent St., Miami (OH)
Devontae Armstrong (OT): Kentucky, Toledo, Akron, Kent St., Miami (OH)
Troy Regovich (DE): Kentucky
Michael Balogh (TE/DE): Kentucky, Toledo

Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out on the defense this year with what looks like a log jam of talented DE/Edge players. Kilbane will obviously man one side. Does Gedeon slide back to a more traditional LB role to allow some combination of Regovich/Balogh/Bouldin on the opposite side?
Should be a great year!
Coming off a state title
And talent returning

But as a wise man told me

“YOU CANT WIN TODAY’S GAMES!
WITH YESTERDAYS SCORES!”

if the kids don’t start Listening to releases
And put in the work

they have a great shot at a repeat!

any idea how the incoming 2026 class looks?
Or how the 2025 class faired?

My iggy guys said they have back too back great classes

I would prefer one power house northeast Ohio team for national and state recognition
But it’s a fun rivalry, the holy war !

let me clarify
The BEST RIVALRY!

Should be a great year!
Coming off a state title
And talent returning

But as a wise man told me

“YOU CANT WIN TODAY’S GAMES!
WITH YESTERDAYS SCORES!”

if the kids don’t start Listening to releases
And put in the work

they have a great shot at a repeat!

any idea how the incoming 2026 class looks?
Or how the 2025 class faired?

My iggy guys said they have back too back great classes

I would prefer one power house northeast Ohio team for national and state recognition
But it’s a fun rivalry, the holy war !

let me clarify
The BEST RIVALRY!
No idea regarding next years incoming freshman. I've never been one to follow such things and tend not to put too much stock in what gets floated around in sewing circles and on message boards. Predicting how pubescent boys will mature and develop is a fool's errand IMO. Many of the key leaders of St. Edward's inaugural 2010 state championship were on the green (or "B") team as freshman.

I will agree that what happened last year or what some kids did as freshman or sophomores has nothing to do with how they perform on the varsity stage. What I do have faith in is the capability of this current St. Edward staff to get the most out of the players they have. And when those players have great physical gifts, the results have been damn good.

No idea regarding next years incoming freshman. I've never been one to follow such things and tend not to put too much stock in what gets floated around in sewing circles and on message boards. Predicting how pubescent boys will mature and develop is a fool's errand IMO. Many of the key leaders of St. Edward's inaugural 2010 state championship were on the green (or "B") team as freshman.

I will agree that what happened last year or what some kids did as freshman or sophomores has nothing to do with how they perform on the varsity stage. What I do have faith in is the capability of this current St. Edward staff to get the most out of the players they have. And when those players have great physical gifts, the results have been damn good.
Great points

but that 2024 class when coming into freshman class was touted as a special class. And from the looks of it ,they and the staff didn’t disappoint!
Hopefully the well oiled machine keeps, churning out studs! National powerhouse

Looks like Kilbane committed to Northwestern over the weekend on his official visit. I think that will be a great fit for him. Love what Fitzgerald has done with that program.

Rest In Peace to a St. Edward great.
As an eighth grader living in Lakewood, I would visit the Eagle's Nest (they played varsity games behind the school in those days) on Friday evenings to see Joe and his teammates play. Family attending St. Edward High School certainly influenced my decision to attend the school, but watching the Green Machine play back in those days cemented the decision.

RIP Joe Portale...

I am late to this but RIP Joe Portale. Certainly one of the best athletes St. Ed's had and a key member of the 1975 state runner up. Their win over Warren Western Reserve at BW solidified the Eagles as a force to be reckoned with, Joe ran for 148 yards in a 56-28 victory.

Hard not wonder whether the game of football Portale played so well could have contributed to his medical condition. Not unlike another great Eagle running back Steve Schmitz who passed way too early following the onset of Alzheimer's and dementia. The lawsuit his estate filed against Notre Dame and the NCAA is still pending in the courts after years of litigation. Those two are on the short list of the best to ever tote the rock for the green and gold.

Can't say state-wide, but who in this area is going to stop Eds?

Ignatius? No
Mentor? No
Medina? No

I don't see it, but maybe I'm wrong.
Their Competitive Balance number is 539, I’m sure they will talk about adversity and all that jazz, but to heck with them. Private donors winning championships don’t impress me much.

Eleven Warriors interview with the Armstrong twins:
Looks like you can add Michigan State to the list. Michigan State continuing the pipeline to St. Edward.

Their Competitive Balance number is 539, I’m sure they will talk about adversity and all that jazz, but to heck with them. Private donors winning championships don’t impress me much.
Eds is at the top level enrollment-wise. There isn't anything that can be done to them (not saying anything should be done). You can't penalize them just because they have no attendance boundary

Your 2022 St. Edward Eagles Football Schedule

Offical Schedule (click here)

Date
..................Opponent....................Location............Result
Fri, Aug 19.......Toldeo CC....................Lakewood........
Fri, Aug 26.......Pittsburgh CC.............Tom Benson....
Sat, Sep 03.......Cherry Creek..............Lakewood........
Sat, Sep 10.......Cincinnati Elder.........Lakewood........
Fri, Sep 16........Massillon Wash..........Massillon..........
Sat, Sep 24.......Rock Creek C.A..........Lakewood.........
Sat, Oct 01........Saint Ignatius.............Byers Field.........
Fri, Oct 07.........Clarkson North..........Lakewood..........
Sat, Oct 15........Arch Moeller...............Loveland...........
Fri, Oct 2...........Arch Hoban..................Lakewood........

Last edited:
Great schedule.

Didn’t realize the game against PCC was part of the larger events at Fawcett.

Great schedule.

Didn’t realize the game against PCC was part of the larger events at Fawcett.
Yes, looks like it’s the night cap game on Friday.

Little surprised there isn’t a more “Ohio v. USA” flair to the games. No McKinley and no Massillon either.

I'd rather have these be more regional. Ed's vs PCC is a great matchup of two schools with great football tradition from big cities in the area. More surprised they don't have Hoban in a matchup with someone too.

08046F2C-FFCC-4E3F-9114-CAAE3B787A2B.jpeg

Your 2022 St. Edward Eagles Football Schedule

Offical Schedule (click here)

Date
..................Opponent....................Location............Result
Fri, Aug 19.......Toldeo CC....................Lakewood........
Fri, Aug 26.......Pittsburgh CC.............Tom Benson....
Sat, Sep 03.......Cherry Creek..............Lakewood........
Sat, Sep 10.......Cincinnati Elder.........Lakewood........
Fri, Sep 16........Massillon Wash..........Massillon..........
Sat, Sep 24.......Rock Creek C.A..........Lakewood.........
Sat, Oct 01........Saint Ignatius.............Byers Field.........
Fri, Oct 07.........Clarkson North..........Lakewood..........
Sat, Oct 15........Arch Moeller...............Loveland...........
Fri, Oct 2...........Arch Hoban..................Lakewood........
Is the week 10 game Hoban vs. Ed's on Friday or Saturday. I have seen both. I'm seeing lately that it is on Saturday, but looking for confirmation on which day it is. Thanks.

Hard to believe, but we're about month out from live football. Thoughts on the starting lineup?

QB: Casey Bullock
RB: Marvin Bell/Joshua Gribble
LT: Ben Roebuck
LG: Devontae Armstrong
C: Ricky Wolverton
RG: Dawson Filut or Anderson Soltis ??
RT: Deontae Armstrong
WR: Grady Lentz-Pieffer
WR: Kyan Mason
WR: Rashee McLaurin
TE: Michael Balogh

DE: Michael Kilbane
DT: Savion Holman
DT:
DE/LB: Wyatt Gedeon
LB: Jon Slaper
LB: Paddy McMahon
CB: Camrin Boone
CB:
Nickel:
S: Cam Drewery
S: Kyan Mason

K/P: Ben Lavelle/Weston Jonke

On offense the QB, RB, and most of the OL are pretty much solidified. Question will be who emerges at the RG spot with the transfer of Braylon Smith to Glenville. Took my best guess on the WR/TE positions given who we saw most of last year as varsity backups or JV starters. Defensive returners include Kilbane, Gedeon and Drewery. Slaper is a heck of an athlete who saw some varsity time last year and I think he will claim one of the LB spots. Antonio Bouldin is another guy who can contribute as an OLB/Edge. Very similar build to former Eagle Justin Staples. McMahon would be my other guess at LB. As for the defensive backfield, it could be a collective group like we saw last year. Guys like Cam Boone, Cy Colvin, Dom Florio, Xavier Styles and Terrell Morton could all factor in there. Pappas shows a lot of looks defensively, but it seems to me he's favored a base nickel defense lately with an extra DB on the field that can function as a nickel corner or OLB/box safety type. Also not sure who occupies the other DT spot. Maye Troy Regovich slides inside for now to get our best group on the field.

Last edited:
Hard to believe, but we're about month out from live football. Thoughts on the starting lineup?

QB: Casey Bullock
RB: Marvin Bell/Joshua Gribble
LT: Ben Roebuck
LG: Devontae Armstrong
C: Ricky Wolverton
RG: Dawson Filut or Anderson Soltis ??
RT: Deontae Armstrong
WR: Grady Lentz-Pieffer
WR: Kyan Mason
WR: Rashee McLaurin
TE: Michael Balogh

DE: Michael Kilbane
DT: Savion Holman
DT:
DE/LB: Wyatt Gedeon
LB: Jon Slaper
LB: Paddy McMahon
CB: Camrin Boone
CB:
Nickel:
S: Cam Drewery
S: Kyan Mason

K/P: Ben Lavelle/Weston Jonke

On offense the QB, RB, and most of the OL are pretty much solidified. Question will be who emerges at the RG spot with the transfer of Braylon Smith to Glenville. Took my best guess on the WR/TE positions given who we saw most of last year as varsity backups or JV starters. Defensive returners include Kilbane, Gedeon and Drewery. Slaper is a heck of an athlete who saw some varsity time last year and I think he will claim one of the LB spots. Antonio Bouldin is another guy who can contribute as an OLB/Edge. Very similar build to former Eagle Justin Staples. McMahon would be my other guess at LB. As for the defensive backfield, it could be a collective group like we saw last year. Guys like Cam Boone, Cy Colvin, Dom Florio, Xavier Styles and Terrell Morton could all factor in there. Pappas shows a lot of looks defensively, but it seems to me he's favored a base nickel defense lately with an extra DB on the field that can function as a nickel corner or OLB/box safety type. Also not sure who occupies the other DT spot. Maye Troy Regovich slides inside for now to get our best group on the field.
I thought the 2010 and 2011 Eagles lines were enormous. This year's and next look right up there.

Is the week 10 game Hoban vs. Ed's on Friday or Saturday. I have seen both. I'm seeing lately that it is on Saturday, but looking for confirmation on which day it is. Thanks.
Friday, but since Eagles don't always have full authority over the schedule you never know, it could end up on Saturday. Lakewood's conference has an open schedule in Week 10, and Lakewood is supposed to be on the road, but maybe could change?

Friday, but since Eagles don't always have full authority over the schedule you never know, it could end up on Saturday. Lakewood's conference has an open schedule in Week 10, and Lakewood is supposed to be on the road, but maybe could change?
Ok. Thanks. The good news is there is plenty of time between now and week 10.