2022 St. Edward Football

The hard work is paying off! You can just tell that he and Gedeon are going to receive the recognition they deserve. Love that they both wrestle too!

The hard work is paying off! You can just tell that he and Gedeon are going to receive the recognition they deserve. Love that they both wrestle too!
Mostly MAC and Ivy offers for Gedeon at this point, but I'd expect that to change. I think some of the bigger programs would like to see more of him in the middle of the defense as that is where he projects. I'm interested to see if Pappas keeps him on the edge this year or moves him to MLB to replace Freer-Brown. Either way, he should have a monster senior year.

From the article:

But Roebuck isn’t the only talented 2024 offensive lineman at St. Edward. Deontae Armstrong is drawing interest from recruiters too. The 6-foot-7 and 255-pound Armstrong played on the junior varsity during his sophomore season, but is expected to be a key member of the St. Edward varsity offensive line this coming season.

From the article:

But Roebuck isn’t the only talented 2024 offensive lineman at St. Edward. Deontae Armstrong is drawing interest from recruiters too. The 6-foot-7 and 255-pound Armstrong played on the junior varsity during his sophomore season, but is expected to be a key member of the St. Edward varsity offensive line this coming season.
The Eagles will not be short on gigantic football players the next few years.

So, is this what the offensive line looks to be for next year?

Ben Roebuck - Junior - 6'-7" 320 pounds (returning starter)
Richard Wolverton - Senior - 6'-3" 300 pounds (returning starter)
Devontae Armstrong - Junior - 6'-6" 245 pounds
Braylon Smith - Senior 6'-3" - 315 pounds
Deontae Armstrong - Junior 6'-7" - 315 pounds

You are hearing right. Excited to see if the talent translates to championships. We have lost a couple of transfers to Glenville already (Braylon Smith and Warren Bloodworth), and I'm hoping Kyan Mason doesn't follow suit. A number of guys have left Euclid to join the Tarblooders as well.

I feel like there has been a mass transfer flock to Glenville. This can’t be normal…

So, is this what the offensive line looks to be for next year?

Ben Roebuck - Junior - 6'-7" 320 pounds (returning starter)
Richard Wolverton - Senior - 6'-3" 300 pounds (returning starter)
Devontae Armstrong - Junior - 6'-6" 245 pounds
Braylon Smith - Senior 6'-3" - 315 pounds
Deontae Armstrong - Junior 6'-7" - 315 pounds
Smith is at Glenville now.

I feel like there has been a mass transfer flock to Glenville. This can’t be normal…
There has been. I can't be sure, but I do think that some of these players may have started at Glenville and transferred out during the COVID season that saw the fall senate league sports cancelled and Cleveland city schools going completely remote. A number of Glenville and other senate league players went to the surrounding suburbs (Euclid, Heights, etc.) to play. Some of those guys may now be making their way back to join a Glenville roster that has a lot of young talent. Or, perhaps having a healthy TG Sr. back at the helm is having that pied-piper effect he was once famous for. Whatever the case may be, the Tarblooders could certainly make some noise in D4 with their talent level. Personally, I would like to see them win one for that community at some point.

There has been. I can't be sure, but I do think that some of these players may have started at Glenville and transferred out during the COVID season that saw the fall senate league sports cancelled and Cleveland city schools going completely remote. A number of Glenville and other senate league players went to the surrounding suburbs (Euclid, Heights, etc.) to play. Some of those guys may now be making their way back to join a Glenville roster that has a lot of young talent. Or, perhaps having a healthy TG Sr. back at the helm is having that pied-piper effect he was once famous for. Whatever the case may be, the Tarblooders could certainly make some noise in D4 with their talent level. Personally, I would like to see them win one for that community at some point.
Will never happen , undisciplined and no special teams. Their time has passed their prime was 15 yrs ago. I don’t think Glenville has beaten Ed’s or Ignatius in 10 yrs now

Will never happen , undisciplined and no special teams. Their time has passed their prime was 15 yrs ago. I don’t think Glenville has beaten Ed’s or Ignatius in 10 yrs now
They don’t need to in D4. The school has kids from all over NE Ohio playing there. It’s a public and private school football program.

And they have done absolutely nothing in 20 yrs , might be the most under achieving program in Ohio with the div 1 talent and NFL talent they have put out. Taking in guys who get kicked outta other programs / having the entire Cleveland school district to grab kids from.

Say what you want about Ted ginn as a person I’m sure he’s a great guy but as a football coach he’s awful they have lost big games for the most basic things ex kicking fgs / kick offs.

St. Ed's loses players every year, nothing new there. I think the Class of 2002 had Eric Shodowski, Tony Franklin and Raishaun Stover in it. All three players went on to have great high school careers (Shodowski at Rocky River, Franklin at Chanel, Stover at Ed's) it's just the price of success. You bring in a lot of great 9th graders and they either see that they need to work a lot harder or maybe there is someone better or they can't play the position they want.

I wonder with Euclid's rise under Rotsky, how many players that would have usually went to Glenville ended up with Euclid addresses and now that Euclid has fallen off it is just reverting back to what it used to be.

Spoiler: St. Edward is scheduled to play Cherry Creek - the Colorado big school state champions over the past three seasons.

Spoiler: St. Edward is scheduled to play Cherry Creek - the Colorado big school state champions over the past three seasons.

Here are their final 2021 national ratings by MaxPreps, CalPreps and High School Football America, respectively:

St. Edward (15-1) 25, 20, 17
Cherry Creek (12-2) 56, 88, 70

I like seeing the ambitious scheduling. Cherry Creek looks to be one of the top high school football programs in CO, both historically and recently. It also looks like former Brown Dave Logan is the head coach, best wide receiver on the Kardiac Kids teams. Labor Day weekend should be a lot of fun with that game now.

St. Edward’s 2022 schedule (shown below) includes only one team that had a losing record last year. Excluding that team, their opponents averaged a record of 10-3 and a MaxPreps state ranking of #12. If those stats are a reasonable indicator of their SOS next season, the Eagles should be well prepared for the playoffs.
1647803115764.png

Football North is an interesting team. I know last year's game was weird with the weather delay but it seemed to me that they were in the game, it was competitive and they just called off the dogs. Play-calling got vanilla, seemed that they just wanted to get out of Cleveland. I know their main goal is exposure for their athletes in the States and plenty of American teams run a similar model but I'll never understand playing that way.

Football North is an interesting team. I know last year's game was weird with the weather delay but it seemed to me that they were in the game, it was competitive and they just called off the dogs. Play-calling got vanilla, seemed that they just wanted to get out of Cleveland. I know their main goal is exposure for their athletes in the States and plenty of American teams run a similar model but I'll never understand playing that way.
I don't recall much from the game, but that outfit it typically the most talent-laden of the Canadian programs and capable of producing big plays just based on sheer athleticism.

Do you think with kyles retirement announcement and St Ed’s state title and recent dominance that St Ed’s might have gotten an even bigger bump in incoming freshman? Or iggy might get people excited about a younger coach? And talent split?
Don’t attack me new to this site,