3 - (H) Cherry Creek (CO)
4 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
5 - @ Massillon Washington
6 - (H) Rock Creek Christian (MD)
7 - @ Cleveland St. Ignatius
8 - (H) Clarkson Football North (ON)
9 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
10 - (H) Akron Hoban

If this is accurate, the '22 squad will certainly be battle-tested heading into the playoffs. I wouldn't say the Eagles over-achieved in winning the state championship last year as they certainly had enough talent to make a run, but I went into last season thinking they were probably a year or two away from being considered a favorite. Very good talent in the '23 and '24 classes, some of which have already made their varsity splash. Lot of big shoes to fill though, including Christian Ramos (believe it or not, the first St. Edward QB to be named first team All-Ohio) and Zyion Freer-Brown (the QB of the defense). Junior-to-be Casey Bullock will take over at QB. Similar size and raw athleticism as Ramos, but appears to me to be a more natural thrower of the football. The 5 state championships won since 2010 have all been at the hands of a senior signal caller. Can Bullock break through as a junior?

Returning starters/regular rotation players:

OT: Ben Roebuck '24 (6'7, 320)
C: Ricky Wolverton '23 (6'3, 295)
RB: Marvin Bell '23 (5'9, 190)
DE: Michael Kilbane '23 (6'4, 245)
DE/LB: Wyatt Gedeon '23 (6'1, 230)
S: Cam Drewery '23 (5'11, 170)
ATH: Kyan Mason '24 (5'9, 150)

Last edited:

This is the schedule that was presented in the 2021 thread (although I can't seem to confirm this anywhere else online to date):

1 - (H) Toledo Central Catholic
2 - @ Pittsburgh Central Catholic (PA)
3 - FILLED (WAITING FOR ANNOUNCEMENT)
4 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
9 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
10 - (H) Akron Hoban

If this is accurate, the '22 squad will certainly be battle-tested heading into the playoffs. I wouldn't say the Eagles over-achieved in winning the state championship last year as they certainly had enough talent to make a run, but I went into last season thinking they were probably a year or two away from being considered a favorite. Very good talent in the '23 and '24 classes, some of which have already made their varsity splash. Lot of big shoes to fill though, including Christian Ramos (believe it or not, the first St. Edward QB to be named first team All-Ohio) and Zyion Freer-Brown (the QB of the defense). Junior-to-be Casey Bullock will take over at QB. Similar size and raw athleticism as Ramos, but appears to me to be a more natural thrower of the football. The 5 state championships won since 2010 have all been at the hands of a senior signal caller. Can Bullock break through as a junior?

I would add one more to the list of returning starters/regular rotation players:
RB: Josh Gribble ’23 (5'9, 170) – he ran for 411 yards and seven touchdowns)

Plus, two kickers are returning:
Weston Jonke ’24 (a perfect 35 of 35 PATs on the season)
Ben Lavelle ’23 (Honorable Mention All-Ohio punter and backup place kicker)

Two Eagles have been named MaxPreps All-Americans:
Michael Kilbane – Junior Class Second Team
Ben Roebuck – Sophomore Class Second Team

I would add one more to the list of returning starters/regular rotation players:
RB: Josh Gribble ’23 (5'9, 170) – he ran for 411 yards and seven touchdowns)

Plus, two kickers are returning:
Weston Jonke ’24 (a perfect 35 of 35 PATs on the season)
Ben Lavelle ’23 (Honorable Mention All-Ohio punter and backup place kicker)
Yes, Gribble should help shoulder the load at RB as well.

Junior-to-be Casey Bullock will take over at QB. Similar size and raw athleticism as Ramos, but appears to me to be a more natural thrower of the football. The 5 state championships won since 2010 have all been at the hands of a senior signal caller. Can Bullock break through as a junior?
I posted this in the 2020 thread late in the season, and my prediction that Ramos would improve greatly was correct:

There's a pretty strong trend of Junior QBs struggling and Senior QBs excelling, going back at least 10 years now. Probably have to go back to Shaun Carney to find a really good Junior campaign. Kevin Burke is held in the highest esteem, and rightfully so, but I cringe when thinking about his Junior year. It wasn't good. Fallon, Keane, and Dzuro all struggled to varying degrees as Juniors and improved by leaps and bounds as Seniors. QB's who had to sit and wait till their Senior year like Keefe & O'Malley had strong years characterized by continued improvement over 13+ weeks. I saw improvement from Ramos from Week 1 to 8, and I expect we'll see a different QB next year.

Hopefully Bullock bucks the trend and leads us to back-to-back titles. Very talented young qb.

I posted this in the 2020 thread late in the season, and my prediction that Ramos would improve greatly was correct:

There's a pretty strong trend of Junior QBs struggling and Senior QBs excelling, going back at least 10 years now. Probably have to go back to Shaun Carney to find a really good Junior campaign. Kevin Burke is held in the highest esteem, and rightfully so, but I cringe when thinking about his Junior year. It wasn't good. Fallon, Keane, and Dzuro all struggled to varying degrees as Juniors and improved by leaps and bounds as Seniors. QB's who had to sit and wait till their Senior year like Keefe & O'Malley had strong years characterized by continued improvement over 13+ weeks. I saw improvement from Ramos from Week 1 to 8, and I expect we'll see a different QB next year.

Hopefully Bullock bucks the trend and leads us to back-to-back titles. Very talented young qb.
A lot of great QBs listed. Carney was the starter as a sophomore when he beat out future Heisman trophy winner Troy Smith. Smith was moved to WR. Carney blew his knee out first game against Muskegon and Smith moved back to QB.

Bulllock is so smooth running the read option and I think he's a better passer than Ramos. Excited for next season with a good group coming back.

A St. X poster asked on an Ignatius thread what happened to St. Eds after the 86 runner up and not making it back to the championship until 03. The main thing I can think of was Jim McQuaide just wasn't a very good coach. I think in the roughly 10 years he was there, they were a little over .500 and beat Iggy once in 96. Or were we just not getting the talent? Curious what others think. Thanks

This is the schedule that was presented in the 2021 thread (although I can't seem to confirm this anywhere else online to date):

4 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
9 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
10 - (H) Akron Hoban

Man, if you guys thought this team was a year away ?! I saw you guys scrimmage Pick North, who had a nice run. After that, I knew you guys were contenders.

The main thing I can think of was Jim McQuaide just wasn't a very good coach. I think in the roughly 10 years he was there, they were a little over .500 and beat Iggy once in 96.

I don't agree with statement at all - McQuaide was fine coach. His problem was that he ran into the Iggy juggernaut and the prime CYO talent on the westside then gravitated to Lorain and West 30th. His teams beat Ignatius in '91 and '96, and gave their "best team ever" all they could handle in '93. But let's be honest, there weren't many coaches (if any) beating Iggy in the 90's on a regular basis...

I don't agree with statement at all - McQuaide was fine coach. His problem was that he ran into the Iggy juggernaut and the prime CYO talent on the westside then gravitated to Lorain and West 30th. His teams beat Ignatius in '91 and '96, and gave their "best team ever" all they could handle in '93. But let's be honest, there weren't many coaches (if any) beating Iggy in the 90's on a regular basis...
So I guess the question is why weren't we getting the prime CYO talent like we did in the 70s and early 80s? Don't get me wrong, McQuaide was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He was an asst. under Al O'Neill. I just thought the job should have gone to another asst. Dave Dlugosz who then left for Avon Lake and had great success.

Total agreement. McQuaide has proven he can be a winning coach and also was a winning coach at St. Ed's. A few factors went into the late 80s, 90s mediocrity:

The school administration was poor in the late 80s coupled with a dynamite school admin at St. Ignatius, enrollment numbers essentially flipped in 4 years. I'd say with that, Ignatius was getting probably 75% or more some years of the most talented football players on the West side.

The playoffs only took the top 4 teams in each region, which pretty much guaranteed 2-3 losses kept you out most years. A few of those years St. Ed's only had 9 game schedules for one reason or another, which didn't help either. Some of McQuiade's best teams didn't make it in ('91, '93, '95). Even the 6-4 '98 team would have made the playoffs under the the current format. Make no mistake, I'm not saying we would have won states in any of those years, but being a proven playoff team would have helped keep talent levels closer by the end of the McQuiade era I think.

Give credit to Kyle, he not only benefitted from more talented teams but coached them extremely well, using an offensive formula and scheme that Ohio was not ready for in the high school ranks.

I think the coaching switch was needed, as after 9 years of mostly the same results things had gotten stale with the football program. But Gibbons came on with a lot more support than McQuiade had in his early years. I still think Gibbons is overall a better coach, he evened the talent levels and by the end of his time I think had more talented teams than the Wildcats. The school also built a massive practice gym with updated weights facilities and a better off-season program for guys not involved in other sports and he benefitted from the playoffs being expanded. His 2000, 2003, and 2004 teams would have missed under the old system, of course '03 went all the way to the state final.

4 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
9 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
10 - (H) Akron Hoban

Love the schedule, really like that Pitt Central Catholic is on there and that Toledo Central Catholic will be coming to Lakewood. The Jr QB thing is a bit of a trend but I would also say that it's not like most of those Jr seasons the play was poor. Burke's junior season stands out as bad but also had a brand new coach and staff. The biggest difference from where I sit is that you cannot count on those signal callers to make consistent plays to win games, you need to rely on others whereas by their senior seasons they are more comfortable or more ready. Dzuro is a great example of that, often times make really gritty plays for first downs in key moments.

Total agreement. McQuaide has proven he can be a winning coach and also was a winning coach at St. Ed's. A few factors went into the late 80s, 90s mediocrity:

The school administration was poor in the late 80s coupled with a dynamite school admin at St. Ignatius, enrollment numbers essentially flipped in 4 years. I'd say with that, Ignatius was getting probably 75% or more some years of the most talented football players on the West side.

The playoffs only took the top 4 teams in each region, which pretty much guaranteed 2-3 losses kept you out most years. A few of those years St. Ed's only had 9 game schedules for one reason or another, which didn't help either. Some of McQuiade's best teams didn't make it in ('91, '93, '95). Even the 6-4 '98 team would have made the playoffs under the the current format. Make no mistake, I'm not saying we would have won states in any of those years, but being a proven playoff team would have helped keep talent levels closer by the end of the McQuiade era I think.

Give credit to Kyle, he not only benefitted from more talented teams but coached them extremely well, using an offensive formula and scheme that Ohio was not ready for in the high school ranks.

I think the coaching switch was needed, as after 9 years of mostly the same results things had gotten stale with the football program. But Gibbons came on with a lot more support than McQuiade had in his early years. I still think Gibbons is overall a better coach, he evened the talent levels and by the end of his time I think had more talented teams than the Wildcats. The school also built a massive practice gym with updated weights facilities and a better off-season program for guys not involved in other sports and he benefitted from the playoffs being expanded. His 2000, 2003, and 2004 teams would have missed under the old system, of course '03 went all the way to the state final.

This!

Can't argue with this post. However, I will say that any good to great program is built around culture and mindset. The Eagles have done a terrific job of communicating to all involved in the program that work, effort, and commitment can result in positive outcomes that allow one to compete for championships. The renewal that the football program saw in the early 2000's and certainly since 2010, is something that is now happening again in the hockey program. Champions can beget champions...but someone has to lead, allowing everyone involved to truly believe that the outcomes can be special.

Go Eagles!

Credit should be given to the powers that be on hitting on their head coaching hires 3 of the last 4 times they needed a head coach in football. It is one thing to build a program and sustain it with the same guy, it's a different animal to bring in a new person and task them with maintaining the success. Hockey is doing well, with Sullivan they've gotten back to contending for state championships and narrowed the talent gap substantially with their biggest rivals. It wasn't too long ago they were outclassed by St. Ignatius and they were losing to Sullivan's Holy Name team. Now they contend and have pretty much evened the talent gap, all within 3 years. Culture is important but buying into the culture only happens with results. Bringing this back to the McQuaide discussion, his early years where you build culture had a couple significant wins/games with St. Ignatius but no playoff appearances, I think it is hard to say St. Ed's is a great football option when you aren't making the playoffs. Even when he broke through in '96, after a big Ignatius win they ended the year with 3 straight losses, including a playoff loss to Hudson in a snowstorm, left a bad taste I think in everyone's mouth. Like I said, the change happened at the right time. You're absolutely right about culture and having the right guy to lead that charge is important.

The playoffs only took the top 4 teams in each region, which pretty much guaranteed 2-3 losses kept you out most years. A few of those years St. Ed's only had 9 game schedules for one reason or another, which didn't help either. Some of McQuiade's best teams didn't make it in ('91, '93, '95). Even the 6-4 '98 team would have made the playoffs under the the current format. Make no mistake, I'm not sayi I ng we would have won states in any of those years, but being a proven playoff team would have helped keep talent levels closer by the end of the McQuiade era I think.

Sorry to disagree but McQuaide was not a winning coach. I don't have the numbers in front of me but recollection is he was little better than .500. Forgetting about St. I during that period why weren't we 9-1 or 8-1 then? How about the embarrassing loss to Hudson one of the few years we made the playoffs in 96? I remember sitting through a lot of miserable games back then.

To your other point, when Bro. William Dygert became principal in the late 80s seems that many of the FB coaches. If school admin was so poor why did the wrestling and hockey programs keep rolling along?

Sorry to disagree but McQuaide was not a winning coach. I don't have the numbers in front of me but recollection is he was little better than .500. Forgetting about St. I during that period why weren't we 9-1 or 8-1 then? How about the embarrassing loss to Hudson one of the few years we made the playoffs in 96? I remember sitting through a lot of miserable games back then.

To your other point, when Bro. William Dygert became principal in the late 80s seems that many of the FB coaches. If school admin was so poor why did the wrestling and hockey programs keep rolling along?
McQuaide went 54-34-1. http://eaglefootball.freeservers.com/crecords.htm Left as the coach with the most wins at St. Ed's, since surpassed I think by Tom Lombardo. A little apples and oranges with talking about wrestling and hockey. Listen, I don't want to take anything away from Ferg, then Urbas and Bob Whidden. They built two premier high school sports programs, but it is a little apples to oranges. Wrestling had morphed into a dynasty that football never was, sure we had a great football program but by the late 80s it had only made the state final twice, and older alumni from the 50s and 60s would think back on a tradition that was worse or barely on par with the 90s. Also, because football is king in Ohio, there are a lot of other really strong programs to compete against for kids and on the field. The original aux gym also turned into a wrestling only facility, I'm not sure how many schools in the 1980s had that sort of room. It is also a sport that is more based on working with individuals honing their own craft than individuals working together play by play. Hockey was and still is pretty niche. There might be 80 teams in the state total? Of those teams, even going back to the 80s, is there ever really more than 5 teams that have a legit shot at winning it all? You just do not have to convince the same amounts of players to come to school that you do with football, that's why the numbers matter.

I think enrollment in the mid 1980s was around 1400 and by 1990 it was 850. I understand the overall population of Cleveland declined but if that is the reason, why would Ignatius have not only gained but also stabilized at 1200 -1400? Most of the kids are coming from the same areas, same schools. There was a summer where Ed's had something like 30 teachers leave in the late 1980s, hardly a sign of stability. No one is is saying Jim McQuaide is the greatest coach there ever was, I think we are just saying it's unfair to call him a bad coach or that he was the reason St. Ed's football was held back.

McQuaide is a super nice guy, no question but just a little better than average coach IMO. Oh well, enough said. Sorry if I offended anyone. Back to regular programming.

Go Eagles!

The talent shift had already happened by the time McQuaide became coach. Al O'Neil was the St. Ed's head coach when Joe Pickens went to Ignatius, along with a bunch of other talented kids, like Trent Zenkewicz. At the time, St. Ed's barely passed the football, so it was sort of a no-brainer for Pickens to choose Ignatius. With any semblance of a modern offense in the mid 80's, things may have been different. Although others have mentioned, the school had more problems than an antiquated offense back at that time.

The talent shift had already happened by the time McQuaide became coach. Al O'Neil was the St. Ed's head coach when Joe Pickens went to Ignatius, along with a bunch of other talented kids, like Trent Zenkewicz. At the time, St. Ed's barely passed the football, so it was sort of a no-brainer for Pickens to choose Ignatius. With any semblance of a modern offense in the mid 80's, things may have been different. Although others have mentioned, the school had more problems than an antiquated offense back at that time.
Exactly. Pickens said many times he would have gone to Eds if their situation was different.

I also think the "it" factor can't be overlooked. In the 90s, Ignatius had it. Talent wanted to go there. Eds has it now. Talent is there in abundance.

A younger coach is a significant factor too. I wonder if Franzinger will ignite that a bit. Kyle went legend years ago so there is no point in trying to live up to his name.

Little off topic but , when nedzwicki was there the culture and the entire program hit rock bottom, a lot of players quit in those years in a 4 year span there were 3 head coaches.

Finotti righted the ship immediately, the culture shift was huge and everyone was all in. With the the break through 2010 class it set a tone for where the program is at today.

I was skeptical of Lombardo at first having known him from his time there with gibbons but he’s absolutely the right man for the job and have kept the big green machine rolling.

I just hope we continue have another 10-12 year stretch like we just did and hopefully fingers crossed pass that school across from Wendy’s in titles.

side note I remember being in the stands with older 90s alumni who absolutely hated McQuaide . The year we blasted Solon they loved it.

A lot of good points there. I was also in the camp of being skeptical of Lombardo and was very wrong about that. Nedzwiecki was not a good hire, credit to the school for realizing that after two seasons and pulling the plug instead of trying to double down.

I imagine Roebuck will nab an elusive Buckeye offer at some point. The Armstrong brothers have a shot as well if they continue to develop. Kilbane just nabbed his first Power 5 offer the other day from Penn State. Gedeon still with mid-major offers at this point, but plenty of P5 schools showing interest with offers likely to come.

Any definitive word on a 2022 St. Edward verses Massillon Washington?
I haven't found a definitive 2022 St. Edward schedule anywhere to date. I think it's presumed that we are making the trip to Tiger Town in week five but, as is often the case with high school scheduling, everything is subject to change. If Massillon finds a more "attractive" opponent for week 5, I imagine they could easily tell Ed's to pound salt regardless of any prior agreement.

No FBS signees among the senior class for the second year in a row. Castleberry was the only one to have and FBS offer (Central Michigan), but ultimately went with UT Martin. I thought Freer-Brown would at least get a MAC offer late in process, but he did one better and is headed to Dartmouth. Second year in a row our MLB has gone the Ivy League route.

I haven't found a definitive 2022 St. Edward schedule anywhere to date. I think it's presumed that we are making the trip to Tiger Town in week five but, as is often the case with high school scheduling, everything is subject to change. If Massillon finds a more "attractive" opponent for week 5, I imagine they could easily tell Ed's to pound salt regardless of any prior agreement.
I would think St. Edward's willingness to come to Massillon is a + for the Tigers($) even though the depth-of-talent factor favors the Eagles. I'm guessing coach Moore is of the mind set of wanting to be tested by some of the biggies. He has already announced the Tiger's are opening with Cincinnati Moeller. Last I heard, weeks 7, 8, and 9 are still open.

I would think St. Edward's willingness to come to Massillon is a + for the Tigers($) even though the depth-of-talent factor favors the Eagles. I'm guessing coach Moore is of the mind set of wanting to be tested by some of the biggies. He has already announced the Tiger's are opening with Cincinnati Moeller. Last I heard, weeks 7, 8, and 9 are still open.
I recall some impressive youngsters last year for the Tigers, the QB in particular. Always look forward to playing Massillon.

The next few years should have a minimum of 5-6 from what I am hearing.
You are hearing right. Excited to see if the talent translates to championships. We have lost a couple of transfers to Glenville already (Braylon Smith and Warren Bloodworth), and I'm hoping Kyan Mason doesn't follow suit. A number of guys have left Euclid to join the Tarblooders as well.

You are hearing right. Excited to see if the talent translates to championships. We have lost a couple of transfers to Glenville already (Braylon Smith and Warren Bloodworth), and I'm hoping Kyan Mason doesn't follow suit. A number of guys have left Euclid to join the Tarblooders as well.
Can't say state-wide, but who in this area is going to stop Eds?

Ignatius? No
Mentor? No
Medina? No

I don't see it, but maybe I'm wrong.