2022 Southwestern Buckeye League

ex_dc_atc

I didn't see a thread for the new league season other than potential re-alignment of the league. Any thoughts on the 2022 season?

Franklin has another new coach and the confidence seems to be high. Luke Hurst , offensive coordinator from Northmont. He comes in to a good situation at Franklin with several starters returning on both sides of the ball. My understanding is he likes the spread offense which will be welcome to the Franklin faithful.

I look for Monroe to be at or near the top of their division. They return a lot from last year's team including RB Jackson who rushed for almost 2K yards last year. Mullins has a good system and weight room numbers are up this year. There will be close to 50 players in the freshman and sophomore classes combined. I think Bellbrook will once again be solid, but they lose a lot from a really good senior class including the Borondy kid who has been an absolute stud the last two years. Franklin has the talent. Can they right the ship with a new coach?

I think Monroe will end at D2 sooner than we all think, But that program is headed in the right direction with Mullins, They need points games. Playing those D5 schools don't get many points

I think Monroe will end at D2 sooner than we all think, But that program is headed in the right direction with Mullins, They need points games. Playing those D5 schools don't get many points
It does if those D5 teams win games. Better to play a winning D5 than a losing D1.

Was good enough for the 2 seed in R12 last season, would have been good enough for 4th in R8. I think with 16 teams getting in, that teams who think they are state caliber need to challenge themselves in OOC.

What does everyone have coming back this year? From what I have heard Carlisle and Madison are going to be super young on both side of ball. And Monroe has the Miles kid back and Jackson.

I'm not familiar with all of them but here goes

Valley View returns a bunch. Both their incoming senior and Junior classes have been really good and they have a talented group of freshman coming in.

Bellbrook was pretty senior loaded last year but they do have a pretty talented incoming Junior class.

Monroe returns the QB that finished the season and the big FB. Their in coming sophomore class is really good. Plus Monroe is growing like crazy I wouldn't be surprised if they add a move in or too. Their biggest loss is was along the Oline and the DC who left for Wilmington

Franklin graduated a couple really good players at the LB and DB position. They also got hit along the Oline from graduation but they do return a ton of guys who have played on Friday nights. The incoming sophomore and Freshman classes though have some talented athletes in them.

Brookville will be Brookville I am sure of it. Their incoming sophomore class is talented as well.

Eaton snuck up on everyone last year and had a great season. They may have the best RB in the league next year who will only be a sophomore.

I'm not familiar with all of them but here goes

Valley View returns a bunch. Both their incoming senior and Junior classes have been really good and they have a talented group of freshman coming in.

Bellbrook was pretty senior loaded last year but they do have a pretty talented incoming Junior class.

Monroe returns the QB that finished the season and the big FB. Their in coming sophomore class is really good. Plus Monroe is growing like crazy I wouldn't be surprised if they add a move in or too. Their biggest loss is was along the Oline and the DC who left for Wilmington

Franklin graduated a couple really good players at the LB and DB position. They also got hit along the Oline from graduation but they do return a ton of guys who have played on Friday nights. The incoming sophomore and Freshman classes though have some talented athletes in them.

Brookville will be Brookville I am sure of it. Their incoming sophomore class is talented as well.

Eaton snuck up on everyone last year and had a great season. They may have the best RB in the league next year who will only be a sophomore.
Berard will be a beast. Eaton has both QB's coming back. Ebright who started the whole season until getting injured, and Atkins who stepped in admirably through the playoffs. They also have one of their top receivers coming back, Orr. Not sure what they have coming back on the defensive side of the ball.

Better than Elijah Jackson? I think that's a pretty bold statement. Dude had almost 2K as a junior and is a beast to tackle. I'm going to have to see that to believe it.

Better than Elijah Jackson? I think that's a pretty bold statement. Dude had almost 2K as a junior and is a beast to tackle. I'm going to have to see that to believe it.
He's got good size, 6-1 / 210 as a freshman, and is a great athlete. He was stuck behind Aiden Williams at the TB position so he did not get many carries. He probably got more playing time at the LB position. He needs to get quite a few more totes to say that he may be the best in the league. He'll be a good one though.

His freshman highlights can be viewed here.

Last edited:
Jackson is stud, this was not meant as a slight to him at all. I am just really high on the potential of Cordis.

For me, I think with SWBL we often expect teams like Bellbrook, Valley View, and Franklin to be competitive. In 2021, what made the league even more competitive than normal was the seasons that Eaton, Brookville, and Monroe put together. To some extent, even having Carlisle and Waynesville improving was a big deal. I'm hoping you'll see those teams continue to improve and grow, rather than take a step back. Both Franklin and Valley View need to take a step forward themselves.

I think Franklin may struggle with another new system, It will be some what close to what they did a few years ago, but I am not sure how or what their new coach has in mind. Northmont struggled in years running that wide open attack. VV will take a step forward but again another somewhat new system unless they just go back to the old playbook

I know the coach at VV struggled to fill a staff last year, has the new coach been able to fill his staff?
From what I've heard the new coach will not have the same troubles the last coach had, and you will hear some familiar names showing back up on the VV coaching staff...

Monroe almost in D2 if these new counts are correct, they're all the way up to 371 boys. That's before competitive balance, they're definitely D1 now in basketball in baseball.