@ TALAWANDA
OAKWOOD VS MARIEMONT
EATON
VS GREENVILLE

Soon to be SWBL

EDGEWOOD @ MILFORD -
ROSS VS WILMINGTON -

Last edited:
It is actually pushing 25 kids that are ineligible; however, only a few of those(1-2) played last year. With the new coach being in the building, he had done a lot of internal recruiting from what I was told. It doesn't change that it's a blow to their numbers, however. Those extra bodies would've been nice for the program. I'm not sure exactly when those players will be allowed to return(timing of the end of their 1Q), but apparently the football program's GPA requirement is different than the traditional requirement that's in place via the OHSAA. I was honestly impressed with them doing this. With numbers low already, to hold firm on your program's expectations of being a student first is wonderful.
The school sets the GPA requirement at 2.0 at Madison from what I was just told. 25 kids don't have a 2.0? maybe time to put more focus on academics at Madison, That's ridiculous.

I see a lot on here about Madison and the past. It’s been an interesting last 3 years since my kids came to Madison. First season under Ricky Davis was decent and the next under Hubbard was a nightmare which ran kids out of the program. With an administration change and coaching change and some graduating parents that held things back, this program is headed in the right direction under 2nd year coach Dan Baker. He turned a similar situation around in Lima where that school also had 4 coaches on 4 years. He’s starting to do it this season as well. He walked into a terrible situation and has started implementing his process and it’s working, I can tell you that without seeing them play a single snap yet. We were super young last season because of the previous season and were also learning a totally different offensive scheme from years past. Last season was a bit deceiving as my son Dontai (playing college ball now) was ejected on a terrible call in the first game at Greeneview (can’t wait for this Friday) in which we were in the game and then he was made an example of and suspended two more games by the school administration. Yes he’s just one player but made a significant difference when he was playing! I still have 3 sons on the team, a senior junior and freshman, of which the older two will see significant time both ways this year. Not sure how many wins we will have this season, but I can assure you it will be different than last season! Our out of conference schedule is strong and we are a little fish in a big pond in the league, but people will take notice! As of the ineligible kids, none that I know of even played last season, those were numbers builders this season. And as for the discussion about us switching leagues, I hope it happens. It’s hard to compete year in and year out being so small comparatively. But until then we are gonna give it hell!

I see a lot on here about Madison and the past. It’s been an interesting last 3 years since my kids came to Madison. First season under Ricky Davis was decent and the next under Hubbard was a nightmare which ran kids out of the program. With an administration change and coaching change and some graduating parents that held things back, this program is headed in the right direction under 2nd year coach Dan Baker. He turned a similar situation around in Lima where that school also had 4 coaches on 4 years. He’s starting to do it this season as well. He walked into a terrible situation and has started implementing his process and it’s working, I can tell you that without seeing them play a single snap yet. We were super young last season because of the previous season and were also learning a totally different offensive scheme from years past. Last season was a bit deceiving as my son Dontai (playing college ball now) was ejected on a terrible call in the first game at Greeneview (can’t wait for this Friday) in which we were in the game and then he was made an example of and suspended two more games by the school administration. Yes he’s just one player but made a significant difference when he was playing! I still have 3 sons on the team, a senior junior and freshman, of which the older two will see significant time both ways this year. Not sure how many wins we will have this season, but I can assure you it will be different than last season! Our out of conference schedule is strong and we are a little fish in a big pond in the league, but people will take notice! As of the ineligible kids, none that I know of even played last season, those were numbers builders this season. And as for the discussion about us switching leagues, I hope it happens. It’s hard to compete year in and year out being so small comparatively. But until then we are gonna give it hell!
Which one was the New Miami guy? Hubbard? What was so bad about him? I vaguely remember that year. Seems like he had a lot of hype coming from a good season in New Miami. Why did he leave?

Which one was the New Miami guy? Hubbard? What was so bad about him? I vaguely remember that year. Seems like he had a lot of hype coming from a good season in New Miami. Why did he leave?
Yes that’s him, he’s really an Edgewood guy but spent a couple of seasons at New Miami and had success because of the Robinette boys and a few others there. I don’t know exactly what went on during my oldest sons first year as a sophomore under Ricky Davis because we were new to the district, but from what I hear the old superintendent was in with some of those parents I mentioned that graduated kids last year and ran Davis out. Then she/those parents brought in Hubbard and he had a chip on his shoulder because he didn’t get the job the year before I think when Davis got it and came in guns a blazing with the AD and parents. He also tried to bring in a bunch of kids from Edgewood which rubbed people the wrong way. There were a lot of details that went on that season that I will spare the audience of and to not run Hubbard through the mud but it was a disaster. When the board meeting occurred to terminate him, the police had to be called and such. Really embarrassing if you ask me.

My buddy had told me that the Madison AD was having an affair with the booster president. I thought Camden was bad lol. Sounds like Madison could use some stability and fresh faces. I hope coach Dan Baker sticks around for them and builds that program back.

I'm not rooting against Madison, but it is going to be very difficult to compete in the SWBL with only 30 something kids. If they win 2 or 3 games that's an improvement obviously, but I don't see it on their schedule. Truthfully, looking at the schedule I think they will be lucky to win a game or 2. They may be improved and the games may be closer, but it's going to be a tough road. AD needs to do a better job with OOC games. Madison's schedule is tough enough for them without playing GCL schools.

Admin ran him out if i recall. he’s a great coach.
Yeah, he won some games in the Village but he benefitted from a great group of kids and a fairly easy schedule. Don't know what really happened in Madison, but the little bit I do know he didn't do himself any favors.

Ross info is crazy that’s a lot of money to play sports, it will definitely have an impact on their athletics. Will be interesting how that shakes things out coming into Swbl for them.
Starting QB transferred to Badin a few days before the start of 2 a days. The impact probably starts there unfortunately.

My buddy had told me that the Madison AD was having an affair with the booster president. I thought Camden was bad lol. Sounds like Madison could use some stability and fresh faces. I hope coach Dan Baker sticks around for them and builds that program back.
Sounds juicy I bet Mohawk talk was burning that one up. Talk about crossing your T’s and dotting your I’s.

Talawanda is going to be better this year offensively, the defense will be their key to success. A lot of hype on Monroe this year, but they lost some key linemen who are hard to replace. I will be Interested to see how they look. They have a good coach and solid numbers, to fill gaps. EJ is a stud but needs a line to help him out. I’m sure they have some kids to put in spots but week one anything could happen.
I saw both of Monroe's scrimmages and the line will be fine. I'm more worried about the D as they've looked a little flat in the preseason IMO.

Yes that’s him, he’s really an Edgewood guy but spent a couple of seasons at New Miami and had success because of the Robinette boys and a few others there. I don’t know exactly what went on during my oldest sons first year as a sophomore under Ricky Davis because we were new to the district, but from what I hear the old superintendent was in with some of those parents I mentioned that graduated kids last year and ran Davis out. Then she/those parents brought in Hubbard and he had a chip on his shoulder because he didn’t get the job the year before I think when Davis got it and came in guns a blazing with the AD and parents. He also tried to bring in a bunch of kids from Edgewood which rubbed people the wrong way. There were a lot of details that went on that season that I will spare the audience of and to not run Hubbard through the mud but it was a disaster. When the board meeting occurred to terminate him, the police had to be called and such. Really embarrassing if you ask me.
The reality is Hubbard is an old school coach that coaches players hard and gets results when they respond. The problem is most communities, I'll say Edgewood and Madison specifically, DO NOT have parents that allow a coach to coach hard. They would rather lose and Johnny have a low expectation good time then have Johnny actually work for something and understand true success. New Miami is not like this. They are tough people and don't cry to their momma when someone calls them a name or yells at their unmotivated lazy butts.

Like most, Madison has a culture problem. The symptoms of the disease are losing, bad grades, attitudes, and future failure rate. The causes are low expectation parents, a weak educational system, and inability to man up and change it. Edgewood scrapes by because they have a good offensive system that few truly understand and it gets installed very early on. Teams that they do not play regularly have fits with it and lose. A lot of coaches think they understand it and can defend it. This is a lie. Only a few can, like Ross and Harrison for obvious reasons. Madison does not have this. You are playing Madden football with young players who parents are not even on the spectrum of truly understanding.

Sorry long post. Hubbard is and awesome coach. His record speaks for itself. He was great with my highly decorated offensive lineman son, but he is not a baby. Buck up and shut up.

The reality is Hubbard is an old school coach that coaches players hard and gets results when they respond. The problem is most communities, I'll say Edgewood and Madison specifically, DO NOT have parents that allow a coach to coach hard. They would rather lose and Johnny have a low expectation good time then have Johnny actually work for something and understand true success. New Miami is not like this. They are tough people and don't cry to their momma when someone calls them a name or yells at their unmotivated lazy butts.

Like most, Madison has a culture problem. The symptoms of the disease are losing, bad grades, attitudes, and future failure rate. The causes are low expectation parents, a weak educational system, and inability to man up and change it. Edgewood scrapes by because they have a good offensive system that few truly understand and it gets installed very early on. Teams that they do not play regularly have fits with it and lose. A lot of coaches think they understand it and can defend it. This is a lie. Only a few can, like Ross and Harrison for obvious reasons. Madison does not have this. You are playing Madden football with young players who parents are not even on the spectrum of truly understanding.

Sorry long post. Hubbard is and awesome coach. His record speaks for itself. He was great with my highly decorated offensive lineman son, but he is not a baby. Buck up and shut up.
I wish I could like this 1000x. Couldn’t have said it better

True. Many schools that are typically blue-collar and hard-nosed are having culture problems. Covington, Bradford, Carlisle, Madison, etc along with many, many others. I mention Carlisle only because their numbers are way down. MU, who is the school I graduated from, only has 45 and 18 are seniors.
I believe it’s today’s youth, they have way too many other things to take them away…BULLCRAP! I heard that back in the 80s too. They are lazy and the parents are involved in the wrong ways. Let coaches coach. Coddle Johnnie now and you’ll be coddling him in his 40s.

Old school coaches do not blame entire school districts for their failures, which he does everywhere he goes. Always the victim

I'm not 100% sure, but I think somewhere in the 35-38 range. They had over 20+ kids become ineligible b/c of their Spring GPA.... or at least that was what was communicated last Thursday.
That's a much better number than was rumored out here. It's really good to hear they have a coach in place that is trying to get players from within the building.

Old school coaches do not blame entire school districts for their failures, which he does everywhere he goes. Always the victim
You can’t say bad coach when he had success at another school. You can say he had good players at that school but I’ve got news for you all good coaches need good players to win period and sometimes that coach has to develop players and it could take a few years only giving the guy one year was just odd.

You can’t say bad coach when he had success at another school. You can say he had good players at that school but I’ve got news for you all good coaches need good players to win period and sometimes that coach has to develop players and it could take a few years only giving the guy one year was just odd.\

good coaches win with average kids.

good coaches win with average kids.
Agree.

I saw a lot of things flying on this thread about Madison and just wanted to give a perspective that I seen about the current and past. I will be the first to admit that I do not know the background of everything that’s gone on in this district as I mentioned in my first post that my kids switched school districts from Edgewood to Madison 3 years ago. And I’m not trying to downgrade or talk bad about any of the coaches. Maybe for coach Hubbard it was the wrong place at the wrong time I don’t know. What I do know is that I myself have been around high level sports for a long while as I was an all state soccer player, played both NCAA D2 and D1 soccer and coached at the high school level for a few years after college. I can’t say I’m an expert in the specifics of football, but do also know that team culture/results translates across sports/jobs/etc…. I know the culture that came in with that coach and staff (some of it was here already) was toxic for whatever reason and was doomed from the start.

The word from up north we are hearing he did leave Franklin. He is a good a Qb but he wanted to play defense and the new coach didn't want him on D. So he left. Other thing we heard was a Franklin D coach was fired. He was the at a party and was recorded being vulgar talking inappropriately about women. The recording was on social media, the new AD liked it, then fired him couple days later. I was under the belief the new coach from up here was going to make good changes down there. What is happening in Franklin?
Well look at you making your profile last night while you sit by your lonely self and attempt to stir the pot from behind you flip phone. Man up and don't act like you live outside of Franklin and hear that info.

True. Many schools that are typically blue-collar and hard-nosed are having culture problems. Covington, Bradford, Carlisle, Madison, etc along with many, many others. I mention Carlisle only because their numbers are way down. MU, who is the school I graduated from, only has 45 and 18 are seniors.
I believe it’s today’s youth, they have way too many other things to take them away…BULLCRAP! I heard that back in the 80s too. They are lazy and the parents are involved in the wrong ways. Let coaches coach. Coddle Johnnie now and you’ll be coddling him in his 40s.
Bless I agree with you that youth have way to many things to pull them away, but isn't society is to blame? We lower expectations and have allowed this to happen slowly. Kids are the same as they have always been. Same as us.. Society and what is acceptable has changed.

Bless I agree with you that youth have way to many things to pull them away, but isn't society is to blame? We lower expectations and have allowed this to happen slowly. Kids are the same as they have always been. Same as us.. Society and what is acceptable has changed.
I’m saying that this had been the excuse for decades now. You are 100% correct that society is to blame. Parents typically, back in the day, left the coaching up to the coaches and teaching to the teachers. I was required by my parents to do more than go to school and come home. Too many parents, in my opinion, live vicariously through their children. This is a big issue. My youngest daughter is a 3rd grade teacher and the things she sees in a middle-class school would shock most people. It’s really sad.

I’m saying that this had been the excuse for decades now. You are 100% correct that society is to blame. Parents typically, back in the day, left the coaching up to the coaches and teaching to the teachers. I was required by my parents to do more than go to school and come home. Too many parents, in my opinion, live vicariously through their children. This is a big issue. My youngest daughter is a 3rd grade teacher and the things she sees in a middle-class school would shock most people. It’s really sad.
Sorry and this is probably off topic of this thread but here is my rant, My view of society...it sucks! This no more apparent than sitting in the stands on a Friday night listening to Billy Joe Bob scream at his kid for missing a block, fumbling the ball or dropping a pass, while berating the coach for not calling the play he thinks works or chastising the ref for missed call that is only found in the NFL rule book. Then I discover BJB was some stud pee wee football player, high school drop out from Nut Lick Kentucky in 1999. Yet, this guy seems to be the voice of reason as no one rejects his behavior and generally accepts him as the guru of all things high school football . What did I miss?

I remember hearing a speech from Lou Holtz when he was at Arkansas and I'm sure he has made similar speeches throughout his career and what struck me the most. He said every school he went, there was book of rules for the team to follow and he saw on the players faces "oh no, here we go again." To keep his players attention, he boiled all the rules down to one...easy rule, Do What's Right.

As a society we have missed that because what is Right now has a caveat, do what's right when or if it makes you feel good. Until that caveat is deleted we will continue to fail as a society. IMHO. Kids are smarter than us adults sometimes give them credit; they need objective, truthful guidance and a dose of the worlds reality to make informed decisions. It doesn't take a village to raise a child but committed parents. IT is our job to help the kids achieve their goals and not our goals we failed to achieve.

BTW, social media, that is one bane of adolescent society we as older adults never had to deal with.

Finally, schools hire coaches but the players determine if they are a leaders. Some parents could take a lesson from the kids on that statement and coaches may be smarter than many parents think.

Oh, I do believe that teachers, Registered Nurses, Police, Firemen, Soldiers, and Doctors should all be paid much more than pro sports figures.
There’s nothing that a pro athlete does other than entertain. A horse can entertain.
We have some priorities mixed up in the US. Paying amateur athletes million dollar deals to play college sports is the beginning of the issue.
Give them free Tuition, room and board and throw in a meal plan. Give them a career for playing a sport and leave it at that. Colleges have turned the most innocent of activities into a big business venture and through it they are spoiling it.
Yes, give them a bonus after they graduate based on their perceived value during their college career. AFTER they graduate.
My daughter that’s a teacher paid $100,000 for a 4-year degree at UC. The starting wage for teachers, when they find a job, is likely under $45,000 per year. That’s a travesty. The university should be limited to charging for the education what they will make in the first year out of college, in this case…$45,000. Sorry, soapbox time.

It's hard to believe how quickly things can change for some of these programs. In the past two days I've read that Hamilton Ross lost their QB to transfer to Badin just a couple of weeks before two a days started. Now I read Franklin loses their starting QB to transfer in a similar fashion. It does make you wonder why that's happening. Ross has had success as a program lately and Franklin is capable to being a quality program.