2022 Senior World Championships

Yankeefan33

It's almost the best week of the year, Senior Worlds! The US will send 30 wrestlers to compete in Belgrade, Serbia (which is 7 hours ahead of the east coast, an important note) and hope to bring home plenty of hardware. Greco-Roman starts the tourney off on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, women's freestyle goes on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and men's freestyle closes things out on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Listed below are the wrestlers competing on each day. I'd expect men's freestyle to have the best performance, especially without Russia competing. The women's freestyle team has several strong wrestlers, but last year's total of seven medals will be hard to match with an improved Japanese team and several other countries bringing strong wrestlers. Men's Greco broke through with a medal last year by G'Angelo Hancock, who recently retired and will not be competing, leaving a lack of international talent on the team.

From what I can gather, wrestling will start each day at 4:30 am eastern, semifinals will be at 10:45, and finals are at noon. I'll definitely be following/posting here for all the semis and finals for all weights, and will try and catch most of the very early morning (or very late night) sessions.

Saturday- Max Nowry, Benji Peak, Kamal Bey, Alan Vera
Sunday- Sam Jones, Alex Sancho, Spencer Woods, Braxton Amos
Monday- Ildar Hafizov, Cohlton Schultz, Jacarra Winchester, Kayla Miracle
Tuesday- Sarah Hildebrandt, Dom Parrish, Mallory Velte, Dymond Guilford
Wednesday- Helen Maroulis, Abby Nette, Tamyra Mensah Stock, Amit Elor
Thursday- Zain Retherford, Jordan Burroughs, David Taylor, Hayden Zillmer
Friday- Thomas Gilman, Kyle Dake, J'Den Cox
Saturday- Seth Gross, Yianni Diakomihalis, Kyle Snyder

Last edited:

Men's Greco broke through with a medal last year by G'Angelo Hancock, who recently retired and will not be competing, leaving a lack of international talent on the team.
Thielke and Provisor are also out at the last minute. Strange happenings in GR.
It's almost the best week of the year, Senior Worlds!
Yes Sir! Been waiting months for just this! Looking forward to it and the commentary. Enjoy...✌️

Greco-Roman draws
55 kg: No. 4 Max Nowry (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP)
vs. Arjun Halakurki (India), bronze at 2022 Asian Championships

60 kg: Ildar Hafizov (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP)
vs. Ditcher Toro Castaneda (Colombia), gold at 2021 Pan American Championships

63 kg: Sam Jones (Rockford, Mich./New York AC)
vs. No. 7 Neeraj Neeraj (India), bronze at 2022 Senior Asian Championships, gold at 2022 U23 Asian Championships

67 kg: Alex Sancho (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP)
vs. Norva Bukasa (Cote d’Ivoire), fifth at 2022 U20 Asian Championships

72 kg: Benji Peak (Marquette, Mich./MNU-OTS/Sunkist Kids)
vs. No. 8 Robert Fritsch (Hungary), silver at 2017 U23 World Championships, gold at 2022 European Championships

77 kg: Kamal Bey (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP)
vs. No. 4 Viktor Nemes (Serbia), gold at 2017 World Championships, bronze at 2018 World Championships

82 kg: Spencer Woods (Colorado Springs, Colo./Army WCAP)
vs. Chengwu Wang (China), silver at 2022 Ion Corneanu & Ladislau Simon Memorial

87 kg: Alan Vera (New York, N.Y./NYC RTC/New York AC)
vs. Haitao Qian (China), bronze at 2019 World Championships, bronze at 2019 Asian Championships

97 kg: Braxton Amos (Mineral Wells, W.V./Badger RTC/Sunkist Kids)
vs. Vladlen Kozliuk (Ukraine), bronze at 2022 European Championships, gold at 2017 U20 World Championships, gold at 2014 U17 World Championships

130 kg: Cohlton Schultz (Parker, Colo./Sunkist Kids)
vs. David Ovasapyan (Armenia), silver at 2021 U23 World Championships, bronze at 2019 U23 World Championships, silver at 2018 U20 World Championships

Based off of this, those with the best chances of a win are Sancho, Nowry, and Hafizov.

@bdhof Come over here...;)
LOL, I thought I was at this thread, but I apparently was lost.

UWW
"TOKYO (Sept. 7)--Reigning world champion and top seed Akari FUJINAMI (JPN) will not be defending her title at the upcoming World Championships in Belgrade after suffering a left foot injury, Japan national women's team coach Ryo KANEHAMA said on Wednesday."

She was the #1 seed at 53kg and JPN will not send a replacement.

LOL, I thought I was at this thread, but I apparently was lost.

UWW
"TOKYO (Sept. 7)--Reigning world champion and top seed Akari FUJINAMI (JPN) will not be defending her title at the upcoming World Championships in Belgrade after suffering a left foot injury, Japan national women's team coach Ryo KANEHAMA said on Wednesday."

She was the #1 seed at 53kg and JPN will not send a replacement.
What are placements worth?
Gold = 25 points
Silver = 20 points
Bronze = 15 points
Fifth = 10 points
Seventh = 8 points
Eighth = 6 points
Ninth = 4 points
Tenth = 2 points

W/o FUJINAMI USA has a good chance to beat JPN. Although there's plenty of JPN women who will do better than their seeds. They have young gals that dominate every year who are new to the lineup - just like the RUS men. Just running the seed numbers, here's how USA compares to JPN:
USA seed / USA PTS - JPN seed / JPN pts
50kg USA 1 / 25 - JPN 2 / 20
53kg USA 6 / 10 - JPN NS / 0
55kg USA 4 / 15 - JPN NS / 0
57kg USA 1 / 25 - JPN NS / 0
59kg USA NS / 0 - JPN NS / 0
62kg USA 3 / 15 - JPN 4 / 15
65kg USA 8 / 6 - JPN 1 / 25
68kg USA 2 / 20 - JPN NS / 0
72kg USA NS / 0 - JPN 3 / 15
76kg USA NS / 0 - JPN NS / 0

Total pts USA 116 JPN 75

A few things to keep in mind:
1) JPN has a defending World champ who is at a new weight (57kg) and didn't get seeded.
2) Seeds never play out like they're drawn up - NEVER!
3) Seeds are based on a pt system, not on who the experts think are the best wrestlers. A good example of this is Snyder would be #1 seed over Sad from RUS, even if he was entered in the tournament.
4) There are pts for 9th (4 pts) and 10th (2 pts), but only 8 seeds. So there's more pts to go around.

I'm not sure whether or not I'd consider USA the favorite, but I like their chances, especially, w/o FUJI.

Note I edited 1) above. I think JPN only has 1, not 2 World champs at a new weight w/o getting seeded.

Last edited:
W/o FUJINAMI USA has a good chance to beat JPN.

I'm not sure whether or not I'd consider USA the favorite, but I like their chances, especially, w/o FUJI.
Yui Susaki is going to hunt you down and leg lace you to oblivion for even thinking these thoughts

Last edited:
USA GR
Nowry 55kg into semi final. Had two pins to get there.
Peak OUT
Bey 77kg Lost first. Waiting on repechage.
Vera 87kg OUT

Nowry drops his semis match 11-0. Got put down in 1st and got turned/thrown several times. He'll face the winner of Italy and Japan in the bronze match.

Bey will not be pulled back in as well. Team USA goes 2-4 today, and Nowry will wrestle tomorrow for bronze.

Last edited:
Sam Jones loses 4-0. OUT
Sancho wins 9-0.
Spencer Woods loses by fall. Was up 13-6.
Amos wins 12-6. A couple 4pt'ers.

Last edited:
Just watched Miracle's quarters match. Her opponent did not take one shot the whole match. It was 1-1 into the last minute and Miracle won 6-1.

Watched Winchester vs Poland quarters. Not one shot the whole match by either wrestler. Winchester had a snap down go behind for 2 in the 1st period. Matched ended 4-2. Not even sure how the Polish wrestler got her second point but it was in the last 7 secs. She scored her first point with a push out at :10 sec left.

They said Winchester is 29 yrs old and her opponent is 34 yrs old.

Borrowed from yankeefan33.

Monday- Ildar Hafizov, Cohlton Schultz, Jacarra Winchester, Kayla Miracle

From what I can gather, wrestling will start each day at 4:30 am eastern, semifinals will be at 10:45, and finals are at noon.

Miracle into the finals with a fall.
Was down 3-0 after a questionable takedown that USA challenged and lost. I think she hit an outside fireman's, dump to the back. It was nice. Miracle said she wants a rematch with KGZ wrestler. But looks like she is not going to get it.

Winchester about to lose. Down 8-0

Update: blast double for 4 and a 12-0 win for Japan. Looked amazing tbh
They don't give out those gold medals to anyone...

Kayla looked great today. Obviously a pretty big underdog tomorrow, but that's why you go and actually wrestle. Guessing Jacarra will have China for bronze.

Tomorrow:

Tuesday-
Sarah Hildebrandt,
Dom Parrish,
Mallory Velte,
Dymond Guilford

Jacarra Winchester for bronze,
Kayla Miracle for gold

Kayla gives me so much anxiety when she wrestles. Part of me wants to feel like she knows her plan, the rest of me stays terrified. Big rooting interest watching her grow the last decade and her dad the host with the most in KY! Lee and Jon were 90's lil school fellas early 90's

Thru the Women's team race after 55 & 62 thru the semis:

Place Country Points
1 Japan 40
2 United States 30

3 Canada 20
4 Ukraine 20
5 Kyrgyzstan 10

Hafizof lost in repechage, he's done.

Hildebrandt and Parrish in the semis
Velte, 1-1 lost to Morikawa (JPN), so has a shot at being pulled back in
Guilford, 0-1 and OUT

Last edited:
Hildebrandt just started.

Update: Wow, Mongolian wrested a great match and won 6-2. Action the whole match. But you know something, i don't think the Mongolian wrestler took any shots.

Last edited: