2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

New Steeler oline coach was hire by Carolina before the 2020 season and fired after this season. Per Football Focus the Carolina oline was ranked:

2019 - Carolina 18th (Steelers 9th): McCaffrey had 1,387 rushing / 1,005 receiving
2020 - Carolina 18th (Steelers 17th): MaCaffrey played 3 games
2021 - Carolina 31st (Steelers 26th): McCaffrey played 7 games

Carolina had 3 new starters in 2021 from the prior year, one of them being former Buckeye/Bengal OG Michael Jordan. Jordan was cut by the Bengals & signed before 2021 season by the Panthers, cut before the season started, resigned by Car in October and ended the year as their starting OG. What I’m trying to say is there was a lack of oline talent in Carolina, McCaffrey was out VVR and the had terrible qb play. Can the guy coach? I don’t know but he is from the Youngstown area, a lot of good/great coaches from there. It would have been nice if the Steelers could have gotten former Steeler oline coach & HOF Mike Munchak but I think he left for Denver a couple of years ago in part to be closer to his kids.

Face facts.....we are the basement dwellers for awhile in the AFCN.. it was bound to happen.

The end result will be what you wanted allong.....MT fired.

Remember the Mark Malone days? Get used to it.

Without googling I can recall David Woodley, Scott Campbell, Jim Miller.
I’m not sure Campbell or Miller were ever true starters. I think that was the discussion here. If its all the people who dressed as Steeler QB during that era we may still be missing a few.

Campbell started 2 games in 85 [0-2 -25/58 3 td's 5 int's] '; Miller 1 game [0-1] in 96' started the first game, Mike Tomczak relieved him the the 4th qtr. Miller was pitiful; especially because Jerome Bettis was on that team.

I imagine Flores will be one and done here and get HC offers next year. Steelers get a pick or two if that happens

If a minority in the front office gets a GM position or an assistant coach gets a head coaching position the franchise who loses that individual gets two 3rd round compensatory picks over the next two drafts.

Campbell started 2 games in 85 [0-2 -25/58 3 td's 5 int's] '; Miller 1 game [0-1] in 96' started the first game, Mike Tomczak relieved him the the 4th qtr. Miller was pitiful; especially because Jerome Bettis was on that team.
Honestly don’t remember Miller.

Jim Miller was from Michigan St, I think he had a good preseason one year and started maybe 4 or 5 games for the Steelers. I remember he was on the Bears roster and received a 4 game suspension for performance enhancing drugs. He said he took something over the counter from a GNC and he tested + for something. His defense was it was an accident/mistake. Millet said if he was really going to use performance enhancing drugs ‘he’d have a body that looks a lot better than what he had’.

yes omar and stirred not shaken would be the people you want to talk to.

jtk
()
No expert but I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, something you apparently are not or cannot admit. Maybe you are a Democrat?
Now I have to take a shower being on the stealers thread.

Well, sounds like Stirred will get his weekly shower in today.

The Steeler qb's of the 1980's was tough. 1982 was the last season that Bradshaw started every game which was onlly 9 games due to the strike/lockout. Here is the Steeler record by year and their starting qb's between 1983 to 2004 and the beginning of Big Ben's career.

1983: 10-6-0 - Cliff Stout 15, Bradshaw 1
1984: 9-7-0 - Mark Malone 9, David Woodley 7
1985: 7-9-0 - Malone 8, Woodley 6, Scott Campbell 2
1986: 6-10-0 - Malone 14, Bubby Brister 2
1987: 8-7-0 - Malone 12, Steve Bono 3
1988: 5-11-0 - Brister 13, Todd Blackledge 3
1989: 9-7-0 - Brister, 14, Blackledge 2
1990: 9-7-0 - Brister 16
1991: 7-9-0 - Neil O'Donnell 8, Brister 8
1992: 11-5-0 - O'Donnell 12, Brister 4
1993: 9-7-0 - O'Donnell 15, Mike Tomczak 1
1994: 12-4-0 - O'Donnell 14, Tomczak 2
1995: 11-5-0 - O'Donnell 12, Tomczak 4
1996: 10-6-0 - Tomczak 15, Jim Miller 1
1997: 11-5-0 - Kordell Stewart 16
1998: 7-9-0 - Stewart 16
1999: 6-10-0 - Stewart 12, Tomzcak 4
2000: 9-7-0 - Stewart 11, Kent Graham 5
2001: 13-3-0 - Stewart 16
2002: 10-5-1 - Tommy Maddox 11, Stewart 5
2003: 6-10-0 - Maddox 16
2004: 15-1-0 - Maddox 3, Ben Roethlisberger 13

Surprisingly the Steelers went 9-11 in the playoff games with these qb's between 1983 to 2003. Over this 20 year period the Steelers had 6 losing seasons, made the playoffs 11 times and went to the Super Bowl in 1995 losing to the Cowboys.

i get that Colbert said if we started today, Mason would be the starter. pretty much what he HAS to say considering there aren't any other QB's in the room yet and he was the backup to Ben.

doesn't mean that's who is GOING to start. plenty of off-season to go. will be interesting to see what they do.

It's a nothing statement, really. He said they're going into camp with 4 QBs. Who those 4 will be is anyone's guess. I'd guess Rudolph, Haskins, a veteran, and rookie. But we'll see

Just chiming in here…. I haven’t gone back to read all 31 pages of the thread.

My $0.02 as a lifelong Steelers fan is that it would be a mistake to trade picks to move up in the draft and/or to trade picks to acquire a QB.

There are too many holes on this team and they need all the picks they have.

I hope they use their picks and cap space this year to address O-line, LB, d-line depth, CB, SS, WR, and maybe RB (depth).

Then bring in a retread (Winston, Trubinsky, Mariota, etc) to compete with Rudolph & Haskins for QB1.

Then draft a QB in 2023 when they’ll have a solid team to put around him ala Big Ben in ‘04.

Not a Rudolph fan at all, but I believe we woulda been better this season wth him than BR so if there isn't a guy we really love and feel he can be the next franchise then wait till next year.

Not a Rudolph fan at all, but I believe we woulda been better this season wth him than BR so if there isn't a guy we really love and feel he can be the next franchise then wait till next year.
I reluctantly agree with you. I loved Ben and was at his last game at Heinz field but he was totally ineffective down the stretch this season. What made him great in his prime was his ability to extend plays and play sandlot football. The “get the ball out in 2 sec” offense made things too predictable, especially since he refused to ever throw between the hashes. The predictability impacted the run game as much as the weak o-line.

Not saying Rudolph would have been an upgrade but I don’t think he would have been any worse. I’ll give him a pass on the Detroit game b/c of the late notice on BR they game plan was already put in place and it was a BR game plan not one suited to Rudolph. Add in terrible weather…so I’m not judging him on that game alone.

2019 was basically a rookie year for him. He wasn’t good but I’ve seen worse. The main issue I had was his reluctance to take chances.

I agree with you guys that the Steeler offense & Roethlisberger was bad last year, that is pretty obvious. In quarters 1 thru 3, I would also agree that Rudolph probably would not have been any worse and possibly could have been better. However, I think Roethlisberger had 5 come from behind 4th qrt drives this season. Yes, maybe the Steelers should not have been in a come from behind position in all of those games but, Big Ben’s experience and ability to come through when the team needed it - I don’t know if Rudolph could have done it.

Who knows what the Steelers will do regarding the qb position, just way too many moving parts in the league at this time to predict. History says the Steelers will figure it out.

I agree with you guys that the Steeler offense & Roethlisberger was bad last year, that is pretty obvious. In quarters 1 thru 3, I would also agree that Rudolph probably would not have been any worse and possibly could have been better. However, I think Roethlisberger had 5 come from behind 4th qrt drives this season. Yes, maybe the Steelers should not have been in a come from behind position in all of those games but, Big Ben’s experience and ability to come through when the team needed it - I don’t know if Rudolph could have done it.

Who knows what the Steelers will do regarding the qb position, just way too many moving parts in the league at this time to predict. History says the Steelers will figure it out.
Here is the thing.....the offenae awful play forced come from behind when defenses played a bit lax.
With Rudolph the offense HAD to be better in qtrs 1-3. Had to be. That was epic bad three qtrs.

Was at the final game as well, and fans were chanting one more year and I was like.....hell no.

I reluctantly agree with you. I loved Ben and was at his last game at Heinz field but he was totally ineffective down the stretch this season. What made him great in his prime was his ability to extend plays and play sandlot football. The “get the ball out in 2 sec” offense made things too predictable, especially since he refused to ever throw between the hashes. The predictability impacted the run game as much as the weak o-line.

Not saying Rudolph would have been an upgrade but I don’t think he would have been any worse. I’ll give him a pass on the Detroit game b/c of the late notice on BR they game plan was already put in place and it was a BR game plan not one suited to Rudolph. Add in terrible weather…so I’m not judging him on that game alone.

2019 was basically a rookie year for him. He wasn’t good but I’ve seen worse. The main issue I had was his reluctance to take chances.
Was watching the ESPN piece on the Stilllers last night and I still cannot believe this team went 9-8-1. With an offense that couldnt score in qtrs 1-3.
I dont believe the defense is as bad as their numbers show but were put under too much strain from a non existant O.

ANY QB, and I mean ANY QB, will appear to be much more mobile than BR. As stated, he was at his best when he moved. i recalll having concnerns back in our best years that the best offense we had was when he was scrambling and it seemed like not much came out of the normal sets.

Just cannot panic and either reach for one of these college QB's, or if a trade for a star studded veteran does pose itself you do not mortgage the future.

I dont know if our future QB is in this draft and the pundits who state that we 'have a championship caliber defense' are buffoons.

Let's be realistic, there are 4 top flight young QB's, and Jackson from the Ravens, in this division. To think this team is close to competing for a SB is a long shot so lets be smart and build it right and for the long term

I’ve seen several mocks that have the Steelers taking Willis from Liberty #1. Not sure what I think about that possibility. I think I’d rather get a sure thing then a possible reach in R1. Like a Tackle or an inside linebacker.
Btw, turns out Pickett has the smallest hands since Michael Vick. 8.5 in, I never knew hand measurements were a thing.

Last edited:
I’ve seen several mocks that have the Steelers taking Willis from Liberty #1. Not sure what I think about that possibility. I think I’d rather get a sure thing then a possible reach in R1. Like a Tackle or an inside linebacker.
Btw, turns out Pickett has the smallest hands since Michael Vick. 8.5 in, I never knew hand measurements were a thing.
Pickett's mom.

1646399201038.png

it was laughable to think the Steelers were EVER in on the Aaron Rodgers or Russell WIlson "sweepstakes".

looking more and more like Trubisky may be the dude they sign.

I read that Mitch Trubisky is rumored to be headed to the NY Giants to compete with Daniel Jones for the starting gig. The new Giants HC was the offensive coordinator for the Bills this season where Trubisky was the backup. Marcus Mariotta is a free agent who earned $12 mil total over the last two years as the Raiders backup.

I would guess you could get either guy for around $10 mil a year, that is what Andy Dalton got from the Bears this past season. Trubisky or Mariotta wouldn’t be any worse in quarters 1 thru 3 than Roethlisberger this year.

My gut tells me the Steelers will sit at #20, maybe move up to 17 ahead of the Saints and take a qb. I think the Liberty guy will be gone by then but the Steelers may take either Pickett, the NC kid or the UC qb. Start the season with Rudolph as the starter & stay with him as long as the Steelers are in playoff contention or until the rookie is ready - maybe start the rook after a bye week. I believe giving a rookie qb an extra 4 to 8 weeks to get his feet under him is a big help.