2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

I read that Mitch Trubisky is rumored to be headed to the NY Giants to compete with Daniel Jones for the starting gig. The new Giants HC was the offensive coordinator for the Bills this season where Trubisky was the backup. Marcus Mariotta is a free agent who earned $12 mil total over the last two years as the Raiders backup.

I would guess you could get either guy for around $10 mil a year, that is what Andy Dalton got from the Bears this past season. Trubisky or Mariotta wouldn’t be any worse in quarters 1 thru 3 than Roethlisberger this year.

My gut tells me the Steelers will sit at #20, maybe move up to 17 ahead of the Saints and take a qb. I think the Liberty guy will be gone by then but the Steelers may take either Pickett, the NC kid or the UC qb. Start the season with Rudolph as the starter & stay with him as long as the Steelers are in playoff contention or until the rookie is ready - maybe start the rook after a bye week. I believe giving a rookie qb an extra 4 to 8 weeks to get his feet under him is a big help.
Gosh I hope they don’t take Ridder. I could live with Pickett or Willis at 20 if the Steelers put that kind of value on them. I’d prefer a lineman on either side of the ball, an ILB or a corner. I’m thinking they will get OL help thru FA, at least I hope. If they pick up Trubisky or Marietta they may not even beat Rudolph out for the starting nod..they are available for a reason.

I hope they go OT in the first and DT in the second. This year's QB class is nothing special, so you're not really missing out on a big time talent by waiting. I would be OK with rolling with Trubisky or Mariota for a season or two while the lines get replenished

I see C help coming via FA.

I'd hold off on drafting ILB for now. I want to see what Flores can do, and I have a hunch Bush will be a lot better a full season removed from his knee surgery. I do expect them to either outright cut Shobert or rework his contract. Paying him $9m is stupid.

As for CB, hell no. This franchise has sucked for decades at both drafting and developing starting corners, and nothing they've done recently has changed my mind. There's a solid CB FA market available to fill the position. Get a solid known quantity.

If the Iowa center is available at 20 it will be difficult to draft someone else. The DT from UConn had an impressive week & game at the Senior Bowl and tested great at the combine, don’t know if he will be around when the Steelers draft in the 2nd round. The Pickett story just seems like something the Steelers would do - assuming they like Pickett. Whatever the Steelers do, they will make it work.

I hope they go OT in the first and DT in the second. This year's QB class is nothing special, so you're not really missing out on a big time talent by waiting. I would be OK with rolling with Trubisky or Mariota for a season or two while the lines get replenished

I see C help coming via FA.

I'd hold off on drafting ILB for now. I want to see what Flores can do, and I have a hunch Bush will be a lot better a full season removed from his knee surgery. I do expect them to either outright cut Shobert or rework his contract. Paying him $9m is stupid.

As for CB, hell no. This franchise has sucked for decades at both drafting and developing starting corners, and nothing they've done recently has changed my mind. There's a solid CB FA market available to fill the position. Get a solid known quantity.
I hope you are right about Bush. He was pretty bad last year. It appeared that he avoiding contact and slow to read what was in front of him. Steelers need him to be good to succeed.

Based on the circumstances, I really like this move. I assume the Steelers either feel there is not a qb in this years draft, believe the qb’s will be gone by the 20th pick or hope one falls to the 2nd round that they can sit behind Tribusky & company and groom. The qb’s in next years draft are said to be far better. As for existing qb’s, Jimmy G would require a trade of a 2nd rd pick and he has one year left on contract for $27 mil. Wentz cost Washington two 3rd’s. Watson is a no go.

Steeler fans have to hope Trubisky has a career revival like a Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson. Unlikely, probably but Trubisky does have raw talent.

Love what the Steelers are doing in free agency by addressing the oline. The Steelers have:
* Resigned OT Chukwuma Okorafor age 25 - 3 years $29.5 mil, $20 mil guaranteed
* Resigned ILB Robert Spillane age 27, S/lb Marcus Allen, S and qb Dwayne Haskins each for 1 year m $2.5 mil
* Former Bears G James Daniels age 25 - 3 years $26.5 mil. Can also play some center and played HS ball at Warren Harding
* Former Vikings C Mason Cole age 25 - 3 years terms undisclosed
* Former Bear/Bill qb Mitch Trubisky age 28 - 2 years $14 mil with incentives that could push it to $27 mil over the two years. Former Mr Ohio in football, played at Mentor HS

I would love it if the Iowa center would last to 20t. Based on the two interior oline signings I assume the Steelers do not believe Iowa C will be available at 20. Thus, either a OT, DT, CB or WR in the 1st. Steelers do not have a good history of drafting CB’s so I’d be fine with any of the other 3. My sleeper is the DT from UConn. May be a reach for a 1st rd but I don’t know if he will be there in the 2nd fir the Steelers to draft.

Steelers agree to terms with former Jac ILB Myles Jack (age 26) to 2 years $16 mil

Look for Joe Schobert (age 30) to be cut, this would save $7 mil against the cap. Thus, it would cost $1 mil this year for Myles.

Looking like the draft will focus on OT, WR, CB/S and Edge rusher. I don’t know about the Dline, probably depends on how they believe Tuitt & Aluila come back in 2022.

With the moves they made, I don’t know if they’ll go OL at all in the draft. They clearly wanted to try to quick fix it with veterans. Did a decent job though C could still maybe be addressed. If the dude from Iowa drops to them it would be a decent option.

They need to go DL for one of their first two picks. Alualu is old and Cam is getting up there. Tuitt might come back but who knows what sort of form he’ll be in if he does.

I expect we’ll see a WR taken early as well. Even if JuJu comes back, it would be a good idea to try snagging someone new.

SS, depth RB, depth TE are also still needed.

Steelers agree to terms with former Jac ILB Myles Jack (age 26) to 2 years $16 mil

Look for Joe Schobert (age 30) to be cut, this would save $7 mil against the cap. Thus, it would cost $1 mil this year for Myles.

Looking like the draft will focus on OT, WR, CB/S and Edge rusher. I don’t know about the Dline, probably depends on how they believe Tuitt & Aluila come back in 2022.
Jack is a nice pickup. I think they are pretty sure Tuitt will be back, Aluila is 35/36 so he may call it quits if he doesn’t recover fully. They are definitely now better on the OL , my biggest beef, if Tuitt and Aluilla (sp) come back with Jack and Wallace the defense is improved as well. I think your draft focus OT, WR, CB is about right.

I believe the 2022 free agent period for the Steelers is about done. Never have they signed so many FA’s and kept so many of their own players - thus far the Steelers have lost Smith-Schuster to KC, Washington to Dal and McCloud to SF. I don’t know if Pittsburgh will try to bring back S Terrell Edwards. I don’t think he ever performed like a 1st rounder but I do think last year was his best season. I believe this is the only starting spot with no projected starter currently on the roster.

The Steelers will need some salary cap space to sign their rookies but I think it would be wise to try & sign Minkah Fitzpatrick to a long term deal. Fitzpatrick will playing on his 5th year rookie deal. Only 26 years old, a similar safety contract is Baltimore’s signing this year of Marcus Williams, 5 years for $70 mil. Fitzpatrick is solid and doesn’t miss games.

JuJu signing with KC.

I had no issues with JuJu on the field..he was obviously a child otherwise. I thought Washington was underutilized. Seems the coaches didn’t like him for some reason. I don’t think Ray-Ray will be missed. They are left with Claypool, Dionte, Friermuth. I expect they will sign a veteran receiver and draft one fairly early.

They signed Gunner Olszewski to take over for Ray-Ray. Still need a couple more WRs.

WR Christian Watson from NDSU is shooting up draft boards. 6'5" 208, runs 4.36, crazy acceleration, and really good hands. Route running probably needs work but he had a great senior bowl.

They signed Gunner Olszewski to take over for Ray-Ray. Still need a couple more WRs.

WR Christian Watson from NDSU is shooting up draft boards. 6'5" 208, runs 4.36, crazy acceleration, and really good hands. Route running probably needs work but he had a great senior bowl.
Maybe because I’ve seen a lot of him living in Cincy but I really like Alec Pierce, 6’3, 4.41 forty, great hands, good leaping ability.Won most 50/50 in college. I don’t know where he‘s projected but might be late 3rd, 4 th round guy.

update: did a bit of research, Pierce might be gone before the Steelers pick in the 3rd round.

Last edited:
no. this is pure BS speculation from a Cleveland reporter. not ONE person with any Steelers source has come out and said this is credible. no way we are trading for him or even picking him up if he's released.

Eh. I don't see it. He's got legs and can throw it a mile but the meat of playing QB is accuracy, defensive reads, working through progressions, etc. and he doesn't display that at all. He's a 2nd or 3rd round project being hyped as a 1st in a very down year for QBs

I don't buy that hype, either. At the end of the day, there's no substitution for elite QB play. The Lamar Jackson bubble burst last year.