2022 NCAA NATIONAL WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP

Thought this would be a good share. ✌️

Session 5- Three Mat Configuration
Begins 11AM Eastern.
Wrestle-Back Semifinals on all three mats. Followed by third, fifth and seventh place medal round matches.

Flo Brackets (results only)
TrackWrestling
Printable Brackets

Team Standings After Session IV:
1. Penn State, 108, 5 CH, 1 CONS
2. Michigan, 84.5, 2 CH, 4 CONS
3. Arizona State, 63.5, 1 CH, 4 CONS
4. Iowa, 62, 1 CH, 4 CONS
5. Nebraska 54, 1 CH, 4 CONS

Your 2022 Finals Match-ups:
125: (1) Suriano v. (3) Glory
133: (1) Bravo-Young v. (2) Fix
141: (1) Lee v. (15) Clarke
149: (1) Diakomihalis v. (10) Lovett
157: (5) Monday v. (2) Deakin
165: (5) Griffith v. (2) O'Toole
174: (1) Starroci v. (2) Lewis
184: (1) Amine v. (2) Brooks
197: (1) Dean v. (6) Warner
285: (1) Steveson v. (2) Schultz

Your other 2022 All-Americans (placements TBD):
listed in alphabetical order with seed... wrestling for 7/8...
125: (2) Arujau, (6) Barnett, (4) Courtney, (10) DeAugustino, (11) Kaylor, (8) McKee
133: (7) Byrd, (10) Cannon, (5) DeSanto, (3) McGee, (4) Myers, (11) Turner
141: (10) Bergeland, (12) Composto, (8) Matthews, (3) Rivera, (8) Willits, (4) Woods
149: (11) Andonian, (3) Gomez, (6) Millner, (5) Parco, (4) Sasso, (2) Wilson
157: (1) Carr, (8) Lewan, (11) O'Connor, (10) Robb, (3) Teemer, (17) Willits
165: (6) Amine, (9) Hall, (4) Hamiti, (7) Kharchla, (3) Marinelli, (1) Wick
174: (4) Hidlay, (5) Kemerer, (9) Labriola, (10) Lautt, (3) Massa, (6) Plott,
184: (8) Coleman, (3) Hidlay, (4) Keckeisen, (11) Loew, (7) Romero, (5) Truax
197: (10) Bastida, (2) Buchanan, (14) Bulsak, (7) Elam, (21) Hoffman, (3) Schultz
285: (3) Cassioppi, (8) Davison, (4) Kerkvliet, (12) Lance, (7) Parris, (6) Wood

Misc. notes:
- Eight 1-seeds made it to the finals
- Every final features either a 1-seed or 2-seed
- Four weights feature the 1-seed v. the 2-seed (133, 174, 184, & 285)
- 15-seed Kizhan Clarke (UNC) @ 141lbs is the lowest seeded wrestler to advance to the finals followed by 10-seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska) @ 149lbs
- Only two weights (157 & 197--true before the tournament) are guaranteed to produce a new NCAA Champion.
- Cohlton Schultz (ASU) is still the current leading tournament scorer with 20 points (4 wins; 2 falls, 2 decisions)
- 14 different wrestling programs will be represented in the finals
- of the 20 finalists, 11 are from the Big 10--with 5 coming from Penn State
- 3 schools have multiple finalists (PSU with 5, Princeton and Michigan with 2)
- 165lbs is the only weight to feature no finalists from the Big 10
- 165lbs is also the only weight that may produce a freshman national champion
- of the 20 finalists, 3 are first time All-Americans (Clarke, Lovett, & Monday)
- of the 20 finalists, 3 have already captured Senior World-Level medals (Fix, Amine, and Steveson)
- of the 20 finalists, 11 have already been to an NCAA finals with 9 being former NCAA Champions
- of the 10 finals match-ups, 5 are fresh match-ups that have yet to occur at the NCAA level (125, 141, 165, 174, and 285)
- 133lbs is the only repeat finals match-up from previous NCAA tournaments
-174lbs is the only finals match-up between two former NCAA Champions; thus, it is the only weight guaranteed to not produce a new NCAA Champion

Team Race Notes: (technically, there's a chance.... essentially, it's over).
- Penn State currently has a 23.5 point lead over Michigan
- Both teams still have 6 wrestlers alive in the tournament
- Wrestlers in the finals have the potential to score 0 - 6 more team points (4 placement points available, 2 activity points available). Penn State has 5 (30 points). Michigan has 2 (12 points)
- Wrestlers in the conso-semis have the potential score 0 - 8.5 more team points (4 placement points available, 4 activity points available, .5 advancement points available). Penn State has 1 (8.5 points). Michigan has 4 (34 points).
- Penn State's maximum potential points is 146.5
- Michigan's maximum potential points is 130.5
- Penn State and Michigan have 1 H2H match-up in the conso-semis: Kerkvliet vs. Parris
- The 4 Michigan wrestlers needs to score 24 points + match any points scored by Kerkvliet in Session V to take the lead
- To put into perspective how wide the gap is, consider these scenarios:
- in the hypothetical event Kerkvliet loses out and all 4 Michigan wrestlers in the conso-semis win without any bonus activity points, Michigan would still be trailing by 5.5 points heading into Session VI.
- in the hypothetical event Kerkvliet loses out, all remaining 6 Michigan wrestlers win through without bonus activity points, any 1 of RBY, Lee, Starroci, or Dean winning their finals match secures the Penn State victory.
Great stuff MP. (y)

My current location!

Attachments

• 20220319_181700.jpg
    20220319_181700.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 23
Wrestlers in the finals who made age group teams:
- Pat Glory (1x U23)
- Daton Fix (2x Senior, 1x U23, 3x Junior, 2x Cadet)
- RBY (1x Cadet)
- Yianni (2x Cadet)
- Ridge Lovett (1x Cadet) (Greco)
- Ryan Deakin (1x Junior)
- Keegan O'Toole (1x Junior)
- Mekhi Lewis (1x Junior)
- Myles Amine (Olympic bronze)
- Aaron Brooks (2x Junior, 1x Cadet)
- Max Dean (1x U23)
- Jacob Warner (1x Junior, 1x Cadet)
- Gable (1x Senior, 2x Junior, 2x Cadet)
- Cohlton Schultz (1x Senior, 1x U23, 3x Junior, 2x Cadet) (Greco)

Other age group placers:
U23s- Cannon, Robb, Cassioppi, Kerkvliet, H. Hidlay
Juniors- Andonian, Elam, Parris, Davison, T. Hidlay, Carr, Arujau, Wood
Cadets- Teemer, Lewan, Hoffman, Gomez, Byrd (Greco)

That's 14/20 of the finalists and 32/80 medalists. Wrestle freestyle/Greco, kids!

Last edited:
125: (1) Suriano v. (3) Glory
Crazy finish on this one!
Suriano controls match from the start and then holds on for dear life.

I want so badly to hate PSU due to their dominance over the past decade, but most of their kids are so classy when being interviewed after matches, it makes it difficult to hate them!

Last edited:
I want so badly to hate PSU due to their dominance over the past decade, but most of their kids are so classy when being interviewed after matches, it makes it difficult to hate them!
Yeah, the vast majority of NCAA wrestlers show a lot of class when being interviewed after their NCAA championships (and B10). I don't think PSU has a patent on that. And Sanderson is classy as well, as are most NCAA coaches not named Brands. I never hated PSU. I just get tired of them winning all the time and would like for them to lose more often. I get tired of SEC winning football NCAA championships, Tom Brady (who I like) winning Super Bowls, and the Yankees winning the World Series (even tho they haven't won in a while).

And my dig on Brands is just noting his style is not to my liking. He's an extremely successful coach and obviously has many quality young men who think he's the best. If you take out Desanto, Iowa kids are classy as well. And I was pulling for Brands and Iowa all the way last year and this year due to my being tired of PSU winning.

And while many of my Buckeye friends truly do hate (or something close to that) ttun, I thoroughly enjoyed their success this year, especially their B10 championship over PSU.

And back to PSU, they return 106 pts (losing only Hildebrandt, Lee & Berge), while 2nd place ttun returns 36.5 pts and 3rd place Iowa 53 which includes Spencer's 2021 pts (YIKES!). So, everyone can sit back and watch PSU steamroll the field again next year. This season started off promising for an interesting team race as Iowa returned their entire lineup which just won NCAAs and ttun showed a lot of promise as well. But things fell off the shelf for Iowa as Spencer Lee dropped out and Kemmerer battled injuries. ttun stayed in the hunt and pulled off a surprising victory in B10s and hung around the NCAAs up through the final day.

As far as our Buckeyes, there's the good, the bad, & the ugly. The good is that they return 6 AA's to their lineup (includes 2021 AA's). That's a pretty solid base to start from. In their non AA weights, they have Paddy coming in at 157, a top recruit Bouzakis coming in at 133 (if they don't RS) and another top recruit Mendez coming in at 141 (if they don't RS). It'll be interesting to see who RS's and who doesn't next year. Their best lineup won't challenge PSU, but could be a top 5 team. If they RS a bunch of guys, they'll battle for the top 10 like this year (finished 13th).

The bad is that most of their AA's are guys who could repeat as AA's or fall off like Smith and Orndorff did this year. Most NCAA weights will lose 1-3 guys to eligibility, but there'll be a new group of freshman coming in as well 2 NCAA champs returning in Spencer Lee & AJ Ferarri. So, none of tOSU's returning AA's are guaranteed a spot on the podium next year.

The ugly - actually there isn't any ugly when it comes to Buckeye wrestling. I can't wait for next year.

Last edited:
Where is Billy Baldwin??? I thought he was better than Quinn…these finals have not disappointed though
I’m interested to hear what others say. I didn’t mind the new blood in there to change the pace. Although cox didn’t really add much zing at all. Robles is Robles, nothing great imo. The new little guy official did bring it tho. I liked some of his prospective. He kind of pointed out what a lot of us say about the officiating. He brought some intensity. And Quinn is Quinn. Same dam questions over and over and over again!

Yeah, the vast majority of NCAA wrestlers show a lot of class when being interviewed after their NCAA championships (and B10). I don't think PSU has a patent on that. And Sanderson is classy as well, as are most NCAA coaches not named Brands. I never hated PSU. I just get tired of them winning all the time and would like for them to lose more often. I get tired of SEC winning football NCAA championships, Tom Brady (who I like) winning Super Bowls, and the Yankees winning the World Series (even tho they haven't won in a while).

And my dig on Brands is just noting his style is not to my liking. He's an extremely successful coach and obviously has many quality young men who think he's the best. If you take out Desanto, Iowa kids are classy as well. And I was pulling for Brands and Iowa all the way last year and this year due to my being tired of PSU winning.

And while many of my Buckeye friends truly do hate (or something close to that) ttun, I thoroughly enjoyed their success this year, especially their B10 championship over PSU.

And back to PSU, they return 106 pts (losing only Hildebrandt, Lee & Berge), while 2nd place ttun returns 36.5 pts and 3rd place Iowa 53 which includes Spencer's 2021 pts (YIKES!). So, everyone can sit back and watch PSU steamroll the field again next year. This season started off promising for an interesting team race as Iowa returned their entire lineup which just won NCAAs and ttun showed a lot of promise as well. But things fell off the shelf for Iowa as Spencer Lee dropped out and Kemmerer battled injuries. ttun stayed in the hunt and pulled off a surprising victory in B10s and hung around the NCAAs up through the final day.

As far as our Buckeyes, there's the good, the bad, & the ugly. The good is that they return 6 AA's to their lineup (includes 2021 AA's). That's a pretty solid base to start from. In their non AA weights, they have Paddy coming in at 157, a top recruit Bouzakis coming in at 133 (if they don't RS) and another top recruit Mendez coming in at 141 (if they don't RS). It'll be interesting to see who RS's and who doesn't next year. Their best lineup won't challenge PSU, but could be a top 5 team. If they RS a bunch of guys, they'll battle for the top 10 like this year (finished 13th).

The bad is that most of their AA's are guys who could repeat as AA's or fall off like Smith and Orndorff did this year. Most NCAA weights will lose 1-3 guys to eligibility, but there'll be a new group of freshman coming in as well 2 NCAA champs returning in Spencer Lee & AJ Ferarri. So, none of tOSU's returning AA's are guaranteed a spot on the podium next year.

The ugly - actually there isn't any ugly when it comes to Buckeye wrestling. I can't wait for next year.
And based off that total P6U dominance it really makes me appreciate the tOSU(Tom Ryan) run winning a NT and 3 B1Gs and the highest second place point total ever.

Yep, the “hate” is really “rooting against teams that dominate their sport”. Bama, Patriots, etc. So it’s really an admiration for maintaining a level of historic success. Agreed that most/all the wrestlers interviewed represented the sport and their schools with class over the weekend.

The new little guy official did bring it tho. I liked some of his prospective. He kind of pointed out what a lot of us say about the officiating. He brought some intensity.
He does almost all of the NCST or UNC duals I believe too?
Quinn..."What's your mindset been?"

Wrote a little about my favorite seniors. Please feel free to add something or highlight a senior that you have memories about.

Nick Suriano- An absolute hammer from the moment he stepped on a college campus. Went toe to toe with Thomas Gilman as a true freshman and had a win over NCAA champ Darian Cruz. Full list of losses- Gilman, Lee, DeSanto, Fix, Micic. That’s nothing but legends, and he avenged those Micic and Fix losses later in 2019.

Sebastian Rivera- One of the best to never win, hands down. Wins over three NCAA champs (RBY, Gross, SPENCER LEE TWICE). Never lost to a non-AA. Finished 6th-3rd-4th-3rd and was the #1 seed going into the 2020 tournament.

Chad Red- Captain of the “this guy’s fun to watch” team. Was out for blood every time, could hang with 99% of guys in the country on his best day, Could take 10 losses in a year and still be expected to AA, and 3/4 times he did.

Tariq Wilson- A perfect example of building on a good high school career to make a great college career. If your kids fall short in HS, tell them about Tariq Wilson. That 2018 tournament in Cleveland was legendary, and I’ll never forget him dancing on the big screen during the finals and receiving the biggest ovation of the night.

Evan Wick- Was always right there with the top guys but never better, really thought 2022 was his year. That late loss to Griffith actually made me sad, knowing he had put in the time and work to win this year. Most enjoyed him just being so damn tall and that caused all kinds of problems for guys like Marinelli and Marsteller.

Alex Marinelli- A tale of two careers for Marinelli. Regular season he was damn near unbeatable, but that rarely translated into postseason success. An Ohio legend, though, and a good role model for Graham kids to look up to.

Gable Steveson- I mean, what to say. The man came into college as a true freshman, lost to one guy in three years, and we were all stunned he didn’t go undefeated. I’d argue he’s the best college wrestler since Cael, and I will miss him.

Gable Steveson- I mean, what to say. The man came into college as a true freshman, lost to one guy in three years, and we were all stunned he didn’t go undefeated. I’d argue he’s the best college wrestler since Cael, and I will miss him.
Gable Steveson is likely the best ever who will never be in the GOAT conversation, either US FS GOAT or NCAA GOAT. In FS he could have challenged the best of the field - JB, Captain America, Bruce Baumgartner and John Smith. But one and done won't do it for GOAT status. And in NCAAs you probably have to be a 4x'er. And certainly a 2x'er won't get you there. Instead he'll go in the group who's close but not there, like Dan Gable, Dan Hodge and Yojiro Uetake in NCAAs. Someone could make an argument for those guys but Cael will get the GOAT every time. In FS, you have guys like Cox, Dake, and the Magic Man right up there. But they don't compare YET to those mentioned above.

Are we saying Gable is hands down better than Snyder?

I think the argument could be made either way between the two of them.

4 Olympic Medals (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze)
9 World Championship Medals (3-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze)
4 Pan-American Medals (3-Gold, 1-Silver,)
12 World Cup Medals (7-Gold, 5-Silver)
4 Olympic Festival titles
2 AAU National titles
Junior National title.
NCAA title (and 2 Runner-Up finishes)
He's probably the GOAT IMO. Some would argue that Smith going 6 for 6 is more impressive, but I would go w/ the guy who stretched world medals over 14 years. If he had only a couple of Golds, it might be different.

He's probably the GOAT IMO. Some would argue that Smith going 6 for 6 is more impressive, but I would go w/ the guy who stretched world medals over 14 years. If he had only a couple of Golds, it might be different.
Two Olympic Golds and three golds at the Worlds, plus twelve finals in twelve World Cups, seven gold, five silver...GOAT
I'm not saying that...:)

If we're talking NCAAs, I'd say 3x'er is better than 2x'er. But the argument could be made that Gable this year was more dominant than Snyder during his 3 titles. But I'd still say 3x is better than 2x. If you're talking FS, one and done is no where near as good as what Snyder has done (OLY Gold, Bronze, World Gold, Gold, Silver, Silver, Bronze).

Last edited:

If you're referring to this comment:
"Gable Steveson is likely the best ever who will never be in the GOAT conversation."
I probably got carried away w/ that quote. I got caught up in the moment. ? We'll never know how good he could have been in FS. How many World and OLY titles would he have gotten? His NCAA career could have ended up w/ 3 titles, but that still leaves him 1 short of the 4x'ers and 1 loss more than Cael.

Wrote a little about my favorite seniors. Please feel free to add something or highlight a senior that you have memories about.

Nick Suriano- An absolute hammer from the moment he stepped on a college campus. Went toe to toe with Thomas Gilman as a true freshman and had a win over NCAA champ Darian Cruz. Full list of losses- Gilman, Lee, DeSanto, Fix, Micic. That’s nothing but legends, and he avenged those Micic and Fix losses later in 2019.

Sebastian Rivera- One of the best to never win, hands down. Wins over three NCAA champs (RBY, Gross, SPENCER LEE TWICE). Never lost to a non-AA. Finished 6th-3rd-4th-3rd and was the #1 seed going into the 2020 tournament.

Chad Red- Captain of the “this guy’s fun to watch” team. Was out for blood every time, could hang with 99% of guys in the country on his best day, Could take 10 losses in a year and still be expected to AA, and 3/4 times he did.

Tariq Wilson- A perfect example of building on a good high school career to make a great college career. If your kids fall short in HS, tell them about Tariq Wilson. That 2018 tournament in Cleveland was legendary, and I’ll never forget him dancing on the big screen during the finals and receiving the biggest ovation of the night.

Evan Wick- Was always right there with the top guys but never better, really thought 2022 was his year. That late loss to Griffith actually made me sad, knowing he had put in the time and work to win this year. Most enjoyed him just being so damn tall and that caused all kinds of problems for guys like Marinelli and Marsteller.

Alex Marinelli- A tale of two careers for Marinelli. Regular season he was damn near unbeatable, but that rarely translated into postseason success. An Ohio legend, though, and a good role model for Graham kids to look up to.

Bryce Andonian - When he wrestles I have to watch his match and only his match. If i look away for a second I miss something great. I was telling anyone who would listen Gomez vs Andonian was the match to watch in the quarters.

Was matside and watched Eierman vs Micic. Felt bad for Eierman. He could NOT wrestle at the end and tried to tell Brands. Brands (not sure which one) would not let him stop. Finally he said "i can't feel my leg" and the trainer came and it was over. Micic was cool and gave him a hug. I actually rooted for Micic in the next, blood, round to AA. He lost.

Lehigh 285 Jordan Wood did a high crotch and lifted the other guy completely into the air .............TWICE. Once to beat Cassioppi in SV and once to beat Davison NW 8-7.

Spencer Lee won a national title with two torn ACL's and could not wrestle this year. He's a quitter! (sarcasm font on)

I don't know if I've ever seen anything like Gable. I think the field was much closer to Snyder his time in college (he did take a loss his senior year). Gable had Kerkvliet, Cassioppi, Wood, Schultz, and Parris all in his bracket. All guys who have won international age medals, all guys who were previous high AAs. And not for one second did anybody on here think Gable was not going to win easily.

You can compare stats and titles and all that, but my statement is purely on "I watched them both. Gable made it look easy"

Misc. notes:

- 165lbs is the only weight to feature no finalists from the Big 10
- 165lbs is also the only weight that may produce a freshman national champion

No B1G10 guys in the final at 165 but they did have 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Wick, Amine, Hamiti, Marinelli, Kharchla
Also, the freshman did win. O'Toole.

If you're referring to this comment:
"Gable Steveson is likely the best ever who will never be in the GOAT conversation."
I probably got carried away w/ that quote. I got caught up in the moment. ? We'll never know how good he could have been in FS. How many World and OLY titles would he have gotten? His NCAA career could have ended up w/ 3 titles, but that still leaves him 1 short of the 4x'ers and 1 loss more than Cael.
Considering Cael lost twice, decided he couldn't win the NCAA Championship and redshirted, I think it's a semantical trick to say he was undefeated. Any true freshmen that won a NCAA championship, like Dake, did something Cael didn't do.

I don't know if I've ever seen anything like Gable. I think the field was much closer to Snyder his time in college (he did take a loss his senior year). Gable had Kerkvliet, Cassioppi, Wood, Schultz, and Parris all in his bracket. All guys who have won international age medals, all guys who were previous high AAs. And not for one second did anybody on here think Gable was not going to win easily.

You can compare stats and titles and all that, but my statement is purely on "I watched them both. Gable made it look easy"
In Snyder's defense he was undersized at Heavyweight due to wrestling 97kg.

Internationally I'd say there dominance is similar. Snyder was never supposed to beat Saudulaev the first time. Gable had to pull some similar magic to win his gold.

I just enjoy Snyder as a person as much as a wrestler. So I'm a little biased. But he added some more to his resume with beating cox the other day