2022 NCAA NATIONAL WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP

My boy Chad Red just got hosed. Two late stall calls lost him the match, wrestled great against SeaBass
Idk, he was a wet blanket on top and nearly ran to the OOB ring in OT. I was rooting for him but those were legit stall calls.

What happened to Braxton Amos this year? Really thought he'd contend for a title.
My guess is that he is a lot better in Freestyle and Greco than folkstyle. He took 9 losses this year, and most were to some average guys (like Hoffman tOSU). I remember someone saying last summer that he was going to challenge Ferrari. He may just need a year or 2 to get acclimated to college wrestling. He obviously has a lot of talent.

Last edited:
My guess is that he is a lot better in Freestyle and Greco than folkstyle. He took 9 losses this year, and most were to some average guys (like Hoffman tOSU). I remember someone saying last summer that he was going to challenge Ferrari. He may just need a year or 2 to get acclimated to college wrestling. He obviously has a lot of talent.
Mason Parris his frosh year lost to Chase Singletary, was pinned by Stencel twice, and lost to Conan Jennings three times (!!!). The last three years he only lost to Gable and Kerkvliet. It's not an easy transition; some top prospects are great right away, some need a year or two.

Mason Parris his frosh year lost to Chase Singletary, was pinned by Stencel twice, and lost to Conan Jennings three times (!!!). The last three years he only lost to Gable and Kerkvliet. It's not an easy transition; some top prospects are great right away, some need a year or two.
I mean what you said is all correct but Parris was a 3 sport athlete undersized true freshman who was pretty darn raw because he wrestled like 4 months a year. He had no business being out there as a true frosh imo. Amos deferred enrollment for a year and has been wrestling at any and every offseason national wrestling tournament imaginable. Quite a difference. To me for Amos it’s a couple of things, folk is clearly his worst style and he looks more like a true 97 kilo sized guy like Snyder was. Well that’s good for his international career but makes for an awful tough cut down to 197 for 4-5 months. I think he might have more success and certainly more fun as an undersized heavy

Hoffman is having a great tournament, bringing back memories of Kenny Courts in 2015. He went into the NCAAs unseeded (only seeded 16 back then) and beat #6 Zilmer NDSU in OT 6-4, unseeded Patrick DAV 12-8, #14 McCuthcheon PSU in OT 7-5 (to advance to semis), lost to #7 Brown LEH 4-0. In the consos he lost to #3 Staffer ASU 6-2, and beat #6 Zilmer again for 5th place. I think Courts, like Hoffman, was a decent recruit who underperformed before and after that NCAAs.

Hoffman still has some work to do, but came in as a #21 seed and has beaten #12 Sloan SDSU in OT 6-4 & #5 Bonaccorsi PITT in OT 6-4. Next up is #13 Woodley OU. One more win, either in the championship bracket or consos gets him an AA.

Hoffman is having a great tournament, bringing back memories of Kenny Courts in 2015. He went into the NCAAs unseeded (only seeded 16 back then) and beat #6 Zilmer NDSU in OT 6-4, unseeded Patrick DAV 12-8, #14 McCuthcheon PSU in OT 7-5 (to advance to semis), lost to #7 Brown LEH 4-0. In the consos he lost to #3 Staffer ASU 6-2, and beat #6 Zilmer again for 5th place. I think Courts, like Hoffman, was a decent recruit who underperformed before and after that NCAAs.

Hoffman still has some work to do, but came in as a #21 seed and has beaten #12 Sloan SDSU in OT 6-4 & #5 Bonaccorsi PITT in OT 6-4. Next up is #13 Woodley OU. One more win, either in the championship bracket or consos gets him an AA.
Hoffman beats Woodley and AA's!

Thought this would be a good share. ✌️

Session 5- Three Mat Configuration
Begins 11AM Eastern.
Wrestle-Back Semifinals on all three mats. Followed by third, fifth and seventh place medal round matches.

Flo Brackets (results only)
TrackWrestling
Printable Brackets

Team Standings After Session IV:
1. Penn State, 108, 5 CH, 1 CONS
2. Michigan, 84.5, 2 CH, 4 CONS
3. Arizona State, 63.5, 1 CH, 4 CONS
4. Iowa, 62, 1 CH, 4 CONS
5. Nebraska 54, 1 CH, 4 CONS

Your 2022 Finals Match-ups:
125: (1) Suriano v. (3) Glory
133: (1) Bravo-Young v. (2) Fix
141: (1) Lee v. (15) Clarke
149: (1) Diakomihalis v. (10) Lovett
157: (5) Monday v. (2) Deakin
165: (5) Griffith v. (2) O'Toole
174: (1) Starroci v. (2) Lewis
184: (1) Amine v. (2) Brooks
197: (1) Dean v. (6) Warner
285: (1) Steveson v. (2) Schultz

Your other 2022 All-Americans (placements TBD):
listed in alphabetical order with seed... wrestling for 7/8...
125: (2) Arujau, (6) Barnett, (4) Courtney, (10) DeAugustino, (11) Kaylor, (8) McKee
133: (7) Byrd, (10) Cannon, (5) DeSanto, (3) McGee, (4) Myers, (11) Turner
141: (10) Bergeland, (12) Composto, (8) Matthews, (3) Rivera, (8) Willits, (4) Woods
149: (11) Andonian, (3) Gomez, (6) Millner, (5) Parco, (4) Sasso, (2) Wilson
157: (1) Carr, (8) Lewan, (11) O'Connor, (10) Robb, (3) Teemer, (17) Willits
165: (6) Amine, (9) Hall, (4) Hamiti, (7) Kharchla, (3) Marinelli, (1) Wick
174: (4) Hidlay, (5) Kemerer, (9) Labriola, (10) Lautt, (3) Massa, (6) Plott,
184: (8) Coleman, (3) Hidlay, (4) Keckeisen, (11) Loew, (7) Romero, (5) Truax
197: (10) Bastida, (2) Buchanan, (14) Bulsak, (7) Elam, (21) Hoffman, (3) Schultz
285: (3) Cassioppi, (8) Davison, (4) Kerkvliet, (12) Lance, (7) Parris, (6) Wood

Misc. notes:
- Eight 1-seeds made it to the finals
- Every final features either a 1-seed or 2-seed
- Four weights feature the 1-seed v. the 2-seed (133, 174, 184, & 285)
- 15-seed Kizhan Clarke (UNC) @ 141lbs is the lowest seeded wrestler to advance to the finals followed by 10-seed Ridge Lovett (Nebraska) @ 149lbs
- Only two weights (157 & 197--true before the tournament) are guaranteed to produce a new NCAA Champion.
- Cohlton Schultz (ASU) is still the current leading tournament scorer with 20 points (4 wins; 2 falls, 2 decisions)
- 14 different wrestling programs will be represented in the finals
- of the 20 finalists, 11 are from the Big 10--with 5 coming from Penn State
- 3 schools have multiple finalists (PSU with 5, Princeton and Michigan with 2)
- 165lbs is the only weight to feature no finalists from the Big 10
- 165lbs is also the only weight that may produce a freshman national champion
- of the 20 finalists, 3 are first time All-Americans (Clarke, Lovett, & Monday)
- of the 20 finalists, 3 have already captured Senior World-Level medals (Fix, Amine, and Steveson)
- of the 20 finalists, 11 have already been to an NCAA finals with 9 being former NCAA Champions
- of the 10 finals match-ups, 5 are fresh match-ups that have yet to occur at the NCAA level (125, 141, 165, 174, and 285)
- 133lbs is the only repeat finals match-up from previous NCAA tournaments
-174lbs is the only finals match-up between two former NCAA Champions; thus, it is the only weight guaranteed to not produce a new NCAA Champion

Team Race Notes: (technically, there's a chance.... essentially, it's over).
- Penn State currently has a 23.5 point lead over Michigan
- Both teams still have 6 wrestlers alive in the tournament
- Wrestlers in the finals have the potential to score 0 - 6 more team points (4 placement points available, 2 activity points available). Penn State has 5 (30 points). Michigan has 2 (12 points)
- Wrestlers in the conso-semis have the potential score 0 - 8.5 more team points (4 placement points available, 4 activity points available, .5 advancement points available). Penn State has 1 (8.5 points). Michigan has 4 (34 points).
- Penn State's maximum potential points is 146.5
- Michigan's maximum potential points is 130.5
- Penn State and Michigan have 1 H2H match-up in the conso-semis: Kerkvliet vs. Parris
- The 4 Michigan wrestlers needs to score 24 points + match any points scored by Kerkvliet in Session V to take the lead
- To put into perspective how wide the gap is, consider these scenarios:
- in the hypothetical event Kerkvliet loses out and all 4 Michigan wrestlers in the conso-semis win without any bonus activity points, Michigan would still be trailing by 5.5 points heading into Session VI.
- in the hypothetical event Kerkvliet loses out, all remaining 6 Michigan wrestlers win through without bonus activity points, any 1 of RBY, Lee, Starroci, or Dean winning their finals match secures the Penn State victory.