2022 Nationals

Now that nationals is over, I want to look ahead at Nationals.

Attack 18 Black should be loaded. Bianco setting. Maune OH1 and Halverson OH2. Busken at middle. Rees at OPP and between Downs, Schwallie and the old academy libero, I’d assume theirs a libero and maybe a Ds for Halverson ? Either way, that team looks stacked.

Also Vanguard 18’s. An incredible year for Culpepper and he doesn’t even hit on Vanguard I believe. Patterson, Bennison, Bowler just to make a few.

Attack 18 red will be interesting with Fago, Kress, Renneker all at the pins but no matter what, Ohio teams should be well represented this summer !

Attack 18 Black should be loaded. Bianco setting. Maune OH1 and Halverson OH2. Busken at middle. Rees at OPP and between Downs, Schwallie and the old academy libero, I’d assume theirs a libero and maybe a Ds for Halverson ? Either way, that team looks stacked.

Also Vanguard 18’s. An incredible year for Culpepper and he doesn’t even hit on Vanguard I believe. Patterson, Bennison, Bowler just to make a few.

Attack 18 red will be interesting with Fago, Kress, Renneker all at the pins but no matter what, Ohio teams should be well represented this summer !
Meant high school season is over not nationals here**

Looking forward to seeing Halverson play OH. He was forced to play middle most of the early club season.

Looking forward to seeing Halverson play OH. He was forced to play middle most of the early club season.
I think he may still have to play MB for them. Zech from Lakota East didn't play the high school season so not sure he can play at nationals either.

I think he may still have to play MB for them. Zech from Lakota East didn't play the high school season so not sure he can play at nationals either.
They do bring back the old Academy MH, Tristian, that played early in the season, but ultimately stopped due to his HS basketball season.

Attack 18 red will be interesting with Fago, Kress, Renneker all at the pins but no matter what, Ohio teams should be well represented this summer
Are all of these teams headed to AAU or BJNC?

They do bring back the old Academy MH, Tristian, that played early in the season, but ultimately stopped due to his HS basketball season.
Oh yeah. Forgot about him, that helps significantly.

I’d assume Schwallie or Downs will play Halverson’s back row then and maybe they’ll play some situational OH to rest Maune.

I wouldn’t sleep on A2 18 Red either. Kolwicz at setter, Bo O’Leary at MH1, Koknat at OH1, Sammy at Libero (He was the libero from Desales). Very strong talent.

With the sanction of volleyball, what do you think club will look like 5 years from now?
I'd hope a Toledo area club, a stronger Cleveland presence (the best Cleveland kids have been leaving in the past few years), I think you'll see another decent club in Columbus join Vanguard and A2. I think OP could get a bit stronger again since they seem to do better with North/East side kids and I think those areas will see the most growth in Cincinnati (Little Miami, Anderson, Turpin, etc.)

I would love to see a club pop up in Athens or Jackson in the SE as well. Would obviously be a more regional type club, but getting kids playing out there would be great.

The problem as discussed in other threads is can you find quality coaching for a bunch of new teams? Boys clubs already struggle with this.

Quick update after day 2 AAU. Focused on 16-18s Van, CA,and OP as I don’t think A2 or Phoenix are here.

18s-
Van- tied for first on net at 4-1 with one match to go. Will make it out of pool.
CA- tough 2 days at 0-5. Met some hot players in tight matches. One match to go.

17s-
Van - made it out of pool in 4th place moving up 2 seeds in pool. Took top 3 teams to 3.
CA- finished 3-3 to move out of pool.
*moving out of pool means eligible for gold.

16s -
Van- finished first on net as big mover of local teams. Moving from 4 seed to 1 seed on their net.
CA-finished 4th on net.
Both Van and CA are in same pool today to determine championship/consolation/ruby ( old gold/silver/bronze).
OP-playing club(old USA). Hung on to 4th in tiebreaker and made it out of pool.

The CA 18 team with Bianco, Maune, Halverson went 0-5??
Yes. Finished 1-5 in pool. Came back strong in next round going 2-0 to end up in Diamond.

All van 1s ended up in Ruby although getting there in different ways. 18s finished first in pool then lost to 2 tough teams. 17s lost their 4th 3rd setter to top team. 16s went 1-2 with only win being a 3 setter vs Attack.

Attack 1s -
17s ended up in Ruby along with Van and a host of Midwest teams. They play Indy Academy in first round.
16s play in Diamond after 0-3 day.

OP ~ 16s end up in diamond in Club division.

one random note is that Van 18-2 is in championship division after good few days.

and attack Facebook game is really strong. Lots of updates.

Attachments

• 9CC8C436-8A74-4CA7-98AD-1D993D67C0B7.png
    9CC8C436-8A74-4CA7-98AD-1D993D67C0B7.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 43
The CA 18 team with Bianco, Maune, Halverson went 0-5??
Surprising but I will say their pool was tough. Bay to Bay, Ocean Bay, SPVB, and Yorktowne and they played competitively against all. lost 25-23 to SPVB, Yorktowne, and even bay to bay and also went to three with ocean bay

Looks like A2 is making some waves out in Vegas. Lots of teams staying in Gold and finishing in gold at the younger age. Heck it looks like both 18’s team are still in gold day 3. Is this based on poor competition in Vegas or have they taken the next step?

Last edited:
Looks like A2 is making some waves out in Vegas. Lots of teams staying in Gold and finishing in gold at the younger age. Heck it looks like both 18’s team are sting in gold day 3. Is this based on poor competition in Vegas or have they taken the next step?
Huh? No disrespect to these players, but we're talking about the club division in a tournament that has the quarter of the teams that it normally would.

It's important to have some perspective, Club and Open divisions are 2 different worlds. The rosters on the top 12 Open teams in the country are full of D1 commits, even at the 16's level.

2 weeks ago, Academy 17 Adidas(Open) hammered the teams mentioned above and basically had the same nationals as Attack and Vanguard(Bronze).

I don't want to be negative, however I think it's in everyone's best interest to be realistic as it pertains to how these teams stack up nationally.

Looks like A2 is making some waves out in Vegas. Lots of teams staying in Gold and finishing in gold at the younger age. Heck it looks like both 18’s team are still in gold day 3. Is this based on poor competition in Vegas or have they taken the next step?
Someone correct me if I've got it mixed up, but they're competing in the USA division; isn't that the lowest division? Or 2nd lowest? I know at AAU it went Open, Club, Classic.