2022 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
_4DT4XJs_400x400.png

The potential of rejoining D1 actually excites me. Let's be honest, the last 4 or 5 years D2 has been as tough to get through as D1.

With basically everyone making it in (thanks OHSAA money grabbers), Massillon would in most years still garner 2 home playoff games. Your early round games in D2 have been against cupcakes like Independence, Massillon Perry, Big Walnut, North Canton Hoover and Walnut Ridge, In D1 it would still be cupcakes, but different ones, like Berea, Solon, Lorain, Shaker, Massillon Jackson and GlenOak. The deeper you get in both divisions the better the opponent (obviously), you ran into a public power in WW, now you'll run into a public power in Mentor. And regardless of D1 or D2 you're going to have to get past a parochial power with their built in advantages. Let's be honest, several of these past seasons Hoban has been the best team in the state regardless of division. So....to me, it's a lateral move.

The potential of rejoining D1 actually excites me. Let's be honest, the last 4 or 5 years D2 has been as tough to get through as D1.

With basically everyone making it in (thanks OHSAA money grabbers), Massillon would in most years still garner 2 home playoff games. Your early round games in D2 have been against cupcakes like Independence, Massillon Perry, Big Walnut, North Canton Hoover and Walnut Ridge, In D1 it would still be cupcakes, but different ones, like Berea, Solon, Lorain, Shaker, Massillon Jackson and GlenOak. The deeper you get in both divisions the better the opponent (obviously), you ran into a public power in WW, now you'll run into a public power in Mentor. And regardless of D1 or D2 you're going to have to get past a parochial power with their built in advantages. Let's be honest, several of these past seasons Hoban has been the best team in the state regardless of division. So....to me, it's a lateral move.
In some ways yes it would be very similar. But winning R1 will be just as hard as it has been to win it all in D2. And then you still have to go play two more great teams.

Additionally, with the way we have struggled to stay healthy for a full season, that will only be exacerbated in D1 when playing against schools with 800-1,000 boys.

Last edited:
I initially had mixed emotions on this subject but leaning in favor of staying in Div 2 for several reasons right NOW. #1: Is there a guarantee that if Moore moves on to a higher level, will we land another coach who elevates/maintains the program as he has done and draws in some good transfers(if you build it, they will come)? #2: There's again the possibility of playing Mck twice in a row with the playoff game being a night game and all that comes with that in the form of potential trouble. #3: If enacted, marquee programs over recent years, some longer than others, in Div 1 are: St Edward, St. Ignatius, Mentor, Cincinnati Elder, Cincinnati St Xavier, Winton Woods; maybe Pickerington Central, Pickerington North. Cincinnati Moeller seems to be on the rise and Avon, from what I've been told, is growing fairly fast and will soon be a Div 1 School. As for Div 2 right now, marquee programs over the recent years, some more than others, are: Cincinnati LaSalle, Winton Woods, Akron Hoban, Toledo Central Catholic, and Avon (temporarily?); maybe Kings out of Cincinnati area.
It appears from my perspective that there are more potential hurdles in the scenario with Massillon moving up to Div 1.
This assessment is entirely mine and based on limited knowledge from a Massillon fan in northeastern Ohio. I did not intentionally leave out any schools that could have been included in this assessment.

P.S. Always felt and still do that Canton Glenoak is a sleeping giant.

Last edited:
Seems like Massillon either needs to start increasing enrollment rapidly or decrease it a bit. I had previously thought that the enrollment numbers had Massillon firmly in D2.

I initially had mixed emotions on this subject but leaning in favor of staying in Div 2 for several reasons right NOW. #1: Is there a guarantee that if Moore moves on to a higher level, will we land another coach who elevates/maintains the program as he has done and draws in some good transfers(if you build it, they will come)? #2: There's again the possibility of playing Mck twice in a row with the playoff game being a night game and all that comes with that in the form of potential trouble. #3: If enacted, marquee programs over recent years, some longer than others, in Div 1 are: St Edward, St. Ignatius, Mentor, Cincinnati Elder, Cincinnati St Xavier, Winton Woods; maybe Pickerington Central, Pickerington North. Cincinnati Moeller seems to be on the rise and Avon, from what I've been told, is growing fairly fast and will soon be a Div 1 School. As for Div 2 right now, marquee programs over the recent years, some more than others, are: Cincinnati LaSalle, Winton Woods, Akron Hoban, Toledo Central Catholic, and Avon (temporarily?); maybe Kings out of Cincinnati area.
It appears from my perspective that there are more potential hurdles in the scenario with Massillon moving up to Div 1.
This assessment is entirely mine and based on limited knowledge from a Massillon fan in northeastern Ohio. I did not intentionally leave out any schools that could have been included in this assessment.

Want to draw attention here to a one word correction to a BIG error I made on the above referenced post where I gave my assessment on the potential of moving up to Div 1. I meant to use the word "intentional" instead of "unintentional" which changes the intended meaning 180%. I attribute this to a senior moment?.

There has been talk of Avon jumping to D1 for many years, but it hasn't happened yet. North Ridgeville, the town to Avon's south, was always bigger and is growing at a rapid rate. I can see them in D1 before Avon. NR is open enrollment and has the potential for competitive balance increases if they ever developed the football program to the point of being worth it for local kids. Avon is closed enrollment, so it would be a lot harder to get to D1 and very difficult to win it. Of course, having Hoban in the way in D2 isn't much different.

There has been talk of Avon jumping to D1 for many years, but it hasn't happened yet. North Ridgeville, the town to Avon's south, was always bigger and is growing at a rapid rate. I can see them in D1 before Avon. NR is open enrollment and has the potential for competitive balance increases if they ever developed the football program to the point of being worth it for local kids. Avon is closed enrollment, so it would be a lot harder to get to D1 and very difficult to win it. Of course, having Hoban in the way in D2 isn't much different.
You often have to beat both LaSalle and Hoban! Not an easy task for any public school.

You often have to beat both LaSalle and Hoban! Not an easy task for any public school.
Boils down to there's some really good teams in both divisions... from year to year you don't know if its going to be Hoban or and Ed's or St X etc...but going by just the numbers, probably a little easier going through D2.. we've been going pretty deep every year lately.. could we have done that in D1? Maybe, but we'll never know...Biggest thing I see is we're pretty beat up by the time we get there.. maybe all teams are who knows

Boils down to there's some really good teams in both divisions... from year to year you don't know if its going to be Hoban or and Ed's or St X etc...but going by just the numbers, probably a little easier going through D2.. we've been going pretty deep every year lately.. could we have done that in D1? Maybe, but we'll never know...Biggest thing I see is we're pretty beat up by the time we get there.. maybe all teams are who knows
Playing in Region 7 almost guarantees that Massillon is in the regional final every year now that the program is humming along. Playing in Region 1 over the past 5 years would have required matchups against some extremely formidable Ed’s and Mentor teams. Might’ve gotten out of the region once during that span IMO.

If CentraL ""drew" to their football or other major sports programs, like they do to baseball, they'd equal or surpass their performance / record!

cuts two ways but if Massillon is D1 it makes the McK game actually potentially mean something at least it might make a difference in seed for tournament they will both always get in anyway with 16 per region. will make for re match in region interesting.

if one has to go through the other, it will motivate both.

cuts two ways but if Massillon is D1 it makes the McK game actually potentially mean something at least it might make a difference in seed for tournament they will both always get in anyway with 16 per region. will make for re match in region interesting.

if one has to go through the other, it will motivate both.
Clearly you don’t know much about the rivalry. It ALWAYS means something. ???

Good read, thanks Clark. Sounds like his maturity is catching up with his age. Gotta give him credit for sticking with the deepest WR room in the country, keeping his head down, and working hard to improve. Others may have split.

Good read, thanks Clark. Sounds like his maturity is catching up with his age. Gotta give him credit for sticking with the deepest WR room in the country, keeping his head down, and working hard to improve. Others may have split.
True, and with Olave and Wilson leaving, it doesn't get too much easier.

It's so easy to move around through the transfer portal now and kids bail at the first sign of adversity. Nice to see him stick around and prove himself. You guys saw him a lot more than me but from a distance he didn't seem to be the most mature high schooler. Sounds like he's really growing up in Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.