2022 Mahoning Valley Scrimmage Schedule

I think they were one of the first teams in the area with turf small schools at least
The first team with an artifical surface was WGH, (not counting Stambaugh) and that was there since at least the 90's if not earlier. The 2nd team to get an artifical surface was Canfield I think. I don't recall anymore who got it next after Canfield. Canfield got theirs in like 2003, not sure if anyone else had an artifical surface before 2003 in the Tri-county area
Canfield replaced theirs after the 2019 season, so theirs was 16 years old when it finally was replaced. The track got screwed up when it was replaced in 2002 so they ended up redoing it several times due to drainage issues and other various problems.

Last edited:
The first team with an artifical surface was WGH, (not counting Stambaugh) and that was there since at least the 90's if not earlier. The 2nd team to get an artifical surface was Canfield I think. I don't recall anymore who got it next after Canfield. Canfield got theirs in like 2003, not sure if anyone else had an artifical surface before 2003 in the Tri-county area
Canfield replaced theirs after the 2019 season, so theirs was 16 years old when it finally was replaced. The track got screwed up when it was replaced in 2002 so they ended up redoing it several times due to drainage issues and other various problems.
East Palestine got turf early on before it became popular. They replaced it already.

I could be mistaken, but Canfield still played on grass through at least the 2005 season. I remember going to a playoff game there that year and they didn’t have turf yet.

Brookfield beat Hubbard 7-0. Hubbard had the ball in the red zone 3 times and came up with nothing. Good physical scrimmage. No injuries.
Good to hear. There's a lot of talent on Hubbard's defense this year. Sounds like they held their own against a very good Brookfield offense. Especially after last week against Chaney. Hubbard's offense is a question mark. It can be lost without the bell cow Caffey was. Or it can be better last than last year. The simple wing t was frustrating to watch. If they can sling the ball and get #15 in space they can have a lot of success.

Anything or anyone stand out?
It was a good workman like performance from Hubbard, so it wasn't like anyone stood out. Young backup on defense made a mistake and it cost Hubbard.

Brookfield is good. The wideout, TB and QB are good. Decent size on the line. They should do fine after next week. They will go 9-1, lose to Kirtland somewhere along the line in the playoffs. No shame in that.

I could be mistaken, but Canfield still played on grass through at least the 2005 season. I remember going to a playoff game there that year and they didn’t have turf yet.
I just know the renovations started in 2003, because the away stands were replaced that year, I have a couple photos dated July of 2003 that shows the work underway. It is possible the field didn't get replaced until later, it was nearly 20 years ago so kind of hard to remember all the details. The field was definitely artifical in spring of 2005 however as I have a photo from then as well.

Jackson-Milton 16
Columbiana 7
It could have been worse. JM had a bad day with "Droppies" and a 50 yard TD reception was returned because of a block 20 yards behind the catch that the refs called. No clip just a block which is a penalty as a safety feature. Both QB's played very well for JM with each playing a quarter. I heard Lowellville beat Leetonia, but don't know anything else than that..

Last edited: