2022 HS season

Especially with Badin losing Eli, The south looks like it’s all La Salle for the next couple years so whoever takes over should have a shot to make a state run as I don’t know what any of the other D2 south teams will even look like
Not only that, but with Anitra taking the Central State University jobs, will Jordan move with her or stay at Badin?

Badin could be looking a a rough couple of years.

On the D2 side next year, it will be very interesting to see what kids progress. Seems like it is pretty wide open as of now with many of the top teams graduating key pieces. My first guess would be DeSales as the favorite, followed by LaSalle, Kilbourne, and Brecksville Broadview. Obviously a lot can change between now and next season

On the D2 side next year, it will be very interesting to see what kids progress. Seems like it is pretty wide open as of now with many of the top teams graduating key pieces. My first guess would be DeSales as the favorite, followed by LaSalle, Kilbourne, and Brecksville Broadview. Obviously a lot can change between now and next season
Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin should be major players as well. Both very young teams.

DeSales would be my early pick as well. They return all starters expect one OH and the Libero. Led by a 6'6+ setter and some pretty good size middles with a solid but undersized OH, they should be set up for a run at a title.

DeSales would be my early pick as well. They return all starters expect one OH and the Libero. Led by a 6'6+ setter and some pretty good size middles with a solid but undersized OH, they should be set up for a run at a title.
Fenwick should be solid as well as Wagner, Morris, and Snyder were all just sophomores this season.

I think Fenwick graduates the rest of the players that saw meaningful time. I will be interested to see how they are able to fill the graduated positions when compared to Carroll in the West region

If I had to make final 4 predictions i’d go Brecksville, La Salle, Fenwick, and De Sales with De Sales as the favorite I would think

I think Fenwick graduates the rest of the players that saw meaningful time. I will be interested to see how they are able to fill the graduated positions when compared to Carroll in the West region
Think Carroll might struggle as they lose Saraga, Cannon, setter, one of their outsides. I know they return Reese but still might be a new look for Carroll

Think Carroll might struggle as they lose Saraga, Cannon, setter, one of their outsides. I know they return Reese but still might be a new look for Carroll
That's the same thing I am saying about Fenwick. They lose libero, middle, setter, and one outside. I'm not sure what either Fenwick or Carroll may have had on JV to replace those seniors

Curious to what others have to say as I know there are a lot of South region people on this forum.

it’s no question the South consistently produces the best players and teams. Club opportunities seem pretty similar across regions and while regions like the West and East continue to grow the game and get more teams, it hasn’t translated into state titles (minus Darby).

What do you think are the factors that contribute to South domination?

Curious to what others have to say as I know there are a lot of South region people on this forum.

it’s no question the South consistently produces the best players and teams. Club opportunities seem pretty similar across regions and while regions like the West and East continue to grow the game and get more teams, it hasn’t translated into state titles (minus Darby).

What do you think are the factors that contribute to South domination?
Feeder schools for Elder, Moeller and St X (and LaSalle to some degree as well) start boys volleyball in 3rd-4th grade.

So even though club opportunities exist in other areas, Cincinnati kids have the ability to start playing pretty young. I would guess this has a pretty big long term affect. I also think it helps to normalize the sport a lot earlier. If you're not exposed to boys/mens volleyball until HS, you may think it's a girls sport, or not athletic or something like that. But if you or kids you know have been playing for 4 years already, that stigma doesn't hold up.

That being said, the South has dominated D1, but I believe Badin's championship was the first in D2 for the south region since the two division split.

Feeder schools for Elder, Moeller and St X (and LaSalle to some degree as well) start boys volleyball in 3rd-4th grade.

So even though club opportunities exist in other areas, Cincinnati kids have the ability to start playing pretty young. I would guess this has a pretty big long term affect. I also think it helps to normalize the sport a lot earlier. If you're not exposed to boys/mens volleyball until HS, you may think it's a girls sport, or not athletic or something like that. But if you or kids you know have been playing for 4 years already, that stigma doesn't hold up.

That being said, the South has dominated D1, but I believe Badin's championship was the first in D2 for the south region since the two division split.
Well said. Lacrosse lagged for awhile in the public schools around Cincy until many (Mason, Loveland, Little Miami to name a few) started solid youth programs. Would like to see some of the bigger public school districts do the same for boys volleyball.

Couldn't agree more. Catholic schools in Cincinnati like St. Jude, Victory, Visitation, and many more have done a great job getting boys excited to play boys volleyball. This is obviously not an overnight thing and has taken enormous effort from many volunteers.

Couldn't agree more. Catholic schools in Cincinnati like St. Jude, Victory, Visitation, and many more have done a great job getting boys excited to play boys volleyball. This is obviously not an overnight thing and has taken enormous effort from many volunteers.
A good thing that's happened in the league that those schools play in is that you're starting to see more public schools join. Oak Hills, Walnut, Taylor and even Lakota East all have teams playing. I think Walnut and Lakota only have 7th/8th grade teams, while Oak Hills has a team at the 5th/6th level and Taylor had one team at every age level. Hopefully these schools can continue to help grow the sport and all can eventually field teams at every level.

A separate league exists for the rest of the catholic schools - typically Moe feeders like SMOY, Susanna, Columban, etc.

St X benefits from drawing from across the area getting kids from all over.

A separate league exists for the rest of the catholic schools - typically Moe feeders like SMOY, Susanna, Columban, etc.

St X benefits from drawing from across the area getting kids from all over.
Yeah, the reality of any private school is you cut out any students whose financial or behavioral situations wouldn’t have allowed them to be successful in sports, and on top of that you can draw from a larger area. Of course the things mentioned above have a large impact too, but it’s not just infrastructure that makes X, Moe and Elder dominant in basically every sport.

The Oak Hill district grade school boys have been playing in the west side grade school league (BWAC) for 15 years or so, (I'm not sure of the exact number of years.) I still can't figure out why their high school teams are not more competitive. BWAC has been around for more than 30 years (again not sure of how many exactly)

The Oak Hill district grade school boys have been playing in the west side grade school league (BWAC) for 15 years or so, (I'm not sure of the exact number of years.) I still can't figure out why their high school teams are not more competitive. BWAC has been around for more than 30 years (again not sure of how many exactly)
I think they’ve been in the league for awhile, but it can be hit or miss at certain levels from year to year. Like I said, it looks like they only had a 5th/6th team this year. So if it’s wishy washy like that at the grade school level, it most likely carries over to high school

I’m pretty new to the sport in the grand scheme, but I have to imagine this was the first time the state champion was held to single digits in a set in the state tournament. Moeller dropped 9-25 vs Liberty and still won it all. Pretty cool I think.

Moellers run was insane. They lost 12-25 to Creek going into game 5, were then down 8-13 in game 5. Against Liberty, won 19-17 in game 5 after getting beat 9-25. And to do it with the pressure of going back to back on top of it. Then just beat down Elder.

Elder's Drew Maune '22 and Moeller's Will Patterson '23 named as Honorable Mention All-Americans by Volleyball Magazine

Elder's Drew Maune '22 and Moeller's Will Patterson '23 named as Honorable Mention All-Americans by Volleyball Magazine

Did Patterson have an off weekend at the state tournament? I saw all of his games and I wasn’t particularly impressed. Seemed like Carroll’s middles were more effective with about 6-8 fewer inches in height. I think O’Leary from Thomas Worthington should’ve been first team all state over Patterson.

Did Patterson have an off weekend at the state tournament? I saw all of his games and I wasn’t particularly impressed. Seemed like Carroll’s middles were more effective with about 6-8 fewer inches in height. I think O’Leary from Thomas Worthington should’ve been first team all state over Patterson.
I think to some degree it was based on last year, where he was dominant in the state run (some part of that due to having the best setter in the state). This year he had a torn labrum, going along with a sophomore setter who didn't always get him consistent balls.

Head to head a healthy Patterson is better than O'Leary, but Bo had a good season for sure.

Are we comparing the best offensive option on a back to back state title team with a middle who never made it out of the region?

Great season for Bo, and solid player for sure, but better than Patterson? Bold

Are we comparing the best offensive option on a back to back state title team with a middle who never made it out of the region?

Great season for Bo, and solid player for sure, but better than Patterson? Bold
I’ve backed up Bo in the middle for the past couple seasons and I don’t think the guy has ever had an off game, at least in terms of attacking and blocking. He has 480 kills and 201 blocks in a 2 year varsity career… as a middle. On top of that, very dominant server with 140 career aces. Even just eye test. I didn’t see Patterson hit closer than 13-14 ft that weekend, Bo hits 10 ft very regularly. And I don’t think team finishes in the playoffs really holds much significance. I don’t think anyone’s arguing Renneker, though a great player, over Maune based on playoff finishes.

I’ve backed up Bo in the middle for the past couple seasons and I don’t think the guy has ever had an off game, at least in terms of attacking and blocking. He has 480 kills and 201 blocks in a 2 year varsity career… as a middle. On top of that, very dominant server with 140 career aces. Even just eye test. I didn’t see Patterson hit closer than 13-14 ft that weekend, Bo hits 10 ft very regularly. And I don’t think team finishes in the playoffs really holds much significance. I don’t think anyone’s arguing Renneker, though a great player, over Maune based on playoff finishes.
And here's where you know the argument has lost all bearing.

I think to some degree it was based on last year, where he was dominant in the state run (some part of that due to having the best setter in the state). This year he had a torn labrum, going along with a sophomore setter who didn't always get him consistent balls.

Head to head a healthy Patterson is better than O'Leary, but Bo had a good season for sure.
Spot on! Kid played and he didn’t have to with the injury.

And here's where you know the argument has lost all bearing.
I recognize that eye test alone isn’t the best argument, but if you look at Cole Young, 6’10 middle for Liberty last year, first team all state, you didn’t even have to watch the guy play to know he is a pretty special talent. All you had to do was watch him pound 8 foot line consistently in warmups and it became clear he deserves it. Not that he played poorly, but nothing Patterson did all of the state tournament gave me the impression he was first team all state caliber. I had heard his shoulder was hurting, so I’m not sure how much he was limited by that. I think the season stats matter too. 294 kills with 0.404 efficiency, 100 blocks, and 87 aces. I mean cmon. 294 kills isn’t far off from Maune, and Bo’s a middle.