2022 HS season

It was a very fun tournament to watch. It was my first time going in person but I got to watch all 10 matches. Really impressive the quality of volleyball that is being played by Ohio high schools

I said it on the Elder board, but will reiterate here. I fully believe Elder is the better overall team when comparing the two, specifically when you look at the entire season and their two previous matches. Moeller was the better team today when it mattered most. They served better, attacked better, got a some lucky points which always helps this time of year and most importantly made the smart, easy play. This was Elder's worst match since St X in the 2nd match of the season. It's like they expected Moeller to just hand it to them.

Moeller also struggled most of the weekend in serve receive, which wasn't the case tonight. They were in system, and executing their game plan to a T. Patterson in the middle didn't hurt Elder as much as last year, but their setter did an excellent job of holding Elder's block before throwing it outside where they beat the block again and again.

No one really expected Moeller to win this one, and they played very free, swinging away. Whereas Elder looked extremely tight, bad swings, bad serving, bad decisions throughout.

I said it on the Elder board, but will reiterate here. I fully believe Elder is the better overall team when comparing the two, specifically when you look at the entire season and their two previous matches. Moeller was the better team today when it mattered most. They served better, attacked better, got a some lucky points which always helps this time of year and most importantly made the smart, easy play. This was Elder's worst match since St X in the 2nd match of the season. It's like they expected Moeller to just hand it to them.

Moeller also struggled most of the weekend in serve receive, which wasn't the case tonight. They were in system, and executing their game plan to a T. Patterson in the middle didn't hurt Elder as much as last year, but their setter did an excellent job of holding Elder's block before throwing it outside where they beat the block again and again.

No one really expected Moeller to win this one, and they played very free, swinging away. Whereas Elder looked extremely tight, bad swings, bad serving, bad decisions throughout.
I couldn’t agree more. I think Elder suffered from being too dominant in the regular season. They forgot what it’s like to fight for games. I thought they could come back after Moe won the first, but I knew there was no way they were coming back after Moe won the second. They’ve only played one match to 5 sets the whole year, their only loss. It’s a great testament to how good of a team they are, but they lose out on that mental toughness that builds with losing and winning hard fought matches.

Some incredible matches this weekend and huge congratulations to Moeller and Badin! What a run by Moeller, those players and coaches have to be mentally drained after there last few matches. A lot of those players played the best volleyball they have played this weekend. Hagerty, Renneker, Threm, Geselbracht, Marcum all played better than they ever have. Wong and Patterson continued there high level of play we are accustomed to seeing.

I think the poster above nailed it. The lack of adversity Elder faced this year may have been the issue. Elder looked shell shocked after going down early and started playing very tight.

On the D2 side, Halverson was incredible. Second best individual performance (Behind Gilbert last year) I have seen at the state tournament in the last 5 years. A lot of fight from Carroll and with a handful of Jr. players on the team I would expect another run next year.

Spot on. I don’t think anyone can disagree that Elder is the most talented team in the state. Probably one of the most talented teams in Ohio boys volleyball history, but when you face pretty much zero adversity all season, you can lose the mental edge. Contrary to the 2008 Elder team, where every single guy on that team was always laser focused and had a killer instinct.

I think the poster above nailed it. The lack of adversity Elder faced this year may have been the issue. Elder looked shell shocked after going down early and started playing very tight.

On the D2 side, Halverson was incredible. Second best individual performance (Behind Gilbert last year) I have seen at the state tournament in the last 5 years. A lot of fight from Carroll and with a handful of Jr. players on the team I would expect another run next year.
Agree here, Halverson not winning Player of the year is unbelievable because that performance was the best i’ve ever seen and won them that game.

Agree here, Halverson not winning Player of the year is unbelievable because that performance was the best i’ve ever seen and won them that game.
You have to realize that there’s a lot of coaches voting on those things who would’ve never seen him play before this past weekend, but could only vote based on stats and Bennison’s were better and he played on a good team. Just depends on how you view POY; is it stat-based or is it MVP? I think it should be more MVP than anything and, to me, Halverson is that

Absolutely incredible run from Moeller. To fight off a reverse sweep from X, several match points against Liberty and a 13-8 deficit to Beavercreek, and then to win all those matches by 2 in the fifth set is magnificent.

Has any other team ever faced the brink of elimination so many times, but still go on to win the whole thing?

I was more referring to beginning of the season.
I will agree there. I’m still in shock. I did not know what to expect this year from this team. Moe had ups and downs all year, for one reason or another. Then in the playoffs, looked so dominant at times, only to go looking lost in a flash. But they never quit! So proud of this team!

I will agree there. I’m still in shock. I did not know what to expect this year from this team. Moe had ups and downs all year, for one reason or another. Then in the playoffs, looked so dominant at times, only to go looking lost in a flash. But they never quit! So proud of this team!
Absolutely made the plays down the stretch needed to win the big matches.

First D1 back to back since Moeller did it in 2004 and 2005. An incredible run.

Very tough loss for Elder.

Moeller is probably the favorite next year as well. They will need to find some ball control to replace Wong and Renneker.

Returning starters:
Patterson
Hagerty
Threm
Marcum
Geselbracht

Moeller is probably the favorite next year as well. They will need to find some ball control to replace Wong and Renneker.

Returning starters:
Patterson
Hagerty
Threm
Marcum
Geselbracht
St X returns a strong core as well. Meyer, Pung, Tressler all at OH/OPP and Jones and Terrell in the middle. Stewart returns at libero. Tran at setter. Also a lot of strong sophomores to add in the mix.

Olentangy loses both big outsides and a starting middle (East region POY, 1st team all region, HM all region respectively). Going to have to replace a lot of their offense

The North was really young, lots of juniors who had impressive seasons. The top dogs in the East will be Mt Vernon, Jerome, Darby and Liberty will have enough to keep them in the picture. TW has to replace a lot and so does Pick Central. Would expect D2 in the East to be pretty solid too- Kilbourne, Olentangy, Berlin, DeSales all return a lot of talent.

The North was really young, lots of juniors who had impressive seasons. The top dogs in the East will be Mt Vernon, Jerome, Darby and Liberty will have enough to keep them in the picture. TW has to replace a lot and so does Pick Central. Would expect D2 in the East to be pretty solid too- Kilbourne, Olentangy, Berlin, DeSales all return a lot of talent.
The OCC-Cardinal will be stacked- Darby, Jerome, Kilbourne, Olentangy, and Berlin. Even though it pains me to say it as an alum, I think TW will be down for the count for a year or two. Lots of promising talents coming up though. Just a very senior heavy core that was lost.

The OCC-Cardinal will be stacked- Darby, Jerome, Kilbourne, Olentangy, and Berlin. Even though it pains me to say it as an alum, I think TW will be down for the count for a year or two. Lots of promising talents coming up though. Just a very senior heavy core that was lost.
The best programs find ways to be competitive every year (X, Moe, Creek, Elder, Ignatius, Centerville). Liberty may be the closest thing the East has to that, and they don’t even come close to rivaling what Darby once was. The landscape of the East has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years!

I think he left Moeller mainly due to a new teaching position at Lasalle. I assume he got a new teaching opportunity elsewhere?

I think he left Moeller mainly due to a new teaching position at Lasalle. I assume he got a new teaching opportunity elsewhere?
He had some conflicts with Moe relating to his brother not getting the football job when it opened, twice. You can browse the archives for that stuff. This move is definitely surprising.

Going for a new teaching role at Little Miami.
I would hope that means a new BVB program at Little Miami when he gets there as well. Little Miami adding would give the ECC a solid group of teams:
Walnut, Loveland, Milford, West Clermont, Lebanon (all currently have programs)
Then I've heard rumors of Turpin and Anderson adding as well.
If LM adds, thats a nice 8 team conference added to the Cincinnati area.

Good luck to Matt!

Whoever takes over at LaSalle will have Harrison Hausfeld's best years - not a bad job, an immediate chance to make a run to the D2 State tournament depending on what the OHSAA tourney looks like.

I would hope that means a new BVB program at Little Miami when he gets there as well. Little Miami adding would give the ECC a solid group of teams:
Walnut, Loveland, Milford, West Clermont, Lebanon (all currently have programs)
Then I've heard rumors of Turpin and Anderson adding as well.
If LM adds, thats a nice 8 team conference added to the Cincinnati area.

Good luck to Matt!

Whoever takes over at LaSalle will have Harrison Hausfeld's best years - not a bad job, an immediate chance to make a run to the D2 State tournament depending on what the OHSAA tourney looks like.
Especially with Badin losing Eli, The south looks like it’s all La Salle for the next couple years so whoever takes over should have a shot to make a state run as I don’t know what any of the other D2 south teams will even look like