2022 HS season

Moeller has some real issues with falling apart and/or not being able to close sets. Going to 5 with Liberty after winning the first two pretty easily. Dropped the 3rd, 25-19 then got blown out in the 4th, 25-9.
Moeller had a lot of trouble in both serve receive and finishing at the net for points. Much of the former had to do with struggles in the latter. I think many had the winner of this match making the Championship Match, we shall see. If Beavercreek is their opponent, I wouldn't be so sure as the Beavers have been known to play their best volleyball in the State Tournament.

Moeller has some real issues with falling apart and/or not being able to close sets. Going to 5 with Liberty after winning the first two pretty easily. Dropped the 3rd, 25-19 then got blown out in the 4th, 25-9.
This was a carbon copy of their near meltdown vs St X. I’m not sure if Moe won it or Liberty lost it. I guess the cliché “survive and advance” applies here, but could be an early day tomorrow for Moe. Kudos to Liberty this morning.

Elder leading the match 2-0 with scores of 25-14 and 27-25. East teams are giving the south teams a run for their money, that’s for sure. Elder can’t play like set 2 against any other team in the tournament and expect to keep winning.

Elder won the 3rd set 25-19.

Beavercreek also defeated Hudson in three sets:
25-17, 27-25, 25-22.

It will be Moeller vs. Beavercreek in the first Division 1 State Semifinal at 10am tomorrow.

Centerville defeats St Ignatius 25-21, 25-19, 19-25, 25-15 in the final Division 1 Quarterfinal.

So the other Division 1 Semifinal is set, Elder vs. Centerville at 12pm.

Badin defeated St Francis DeSales in the other Division 2 Semifinal 25-17, 25-17, 26-24.

So the Division 2 Championship Match is set and just like the Division 1 Semifinals, it'll be South Region vs. West Region:

2pm - Hamilton Badin vs. Dayton Carroll

Great matchups and high level volleyball set for Championship Sunday!

Rumor has it when this is a sanctioned OHSAA sport, regional brackets will be set so teams from the same region like Elder and Moeller will be prevented from playing one another in the state championship.

I hope this is just a rumor.

Great matchups and high level volleyball set for Championship Sunday!

Rumor has it when this is a sanctioned OHSAA sport, regional brackets will be set so teams from the same region like Elder and Moeller will be prevented from playing one another in the state championship.

I hope this is just a rumor.
Wouldn't surprise me, that's how all other OHSAA team sport tournaments are done. The unfortunate part about that, is there are still some years where the two best teams reside in the South Region, which means the Regional Final could end up being the pseudo State Championship.

It wouldn't be the worst thing for the sport to have other representation in the title game, but it would stink to have the 2nd best team in the state be knocked off/out a week early. Matchups of two teams from the same region wasn't all that common in the 2010s, compared to the 2000s, however the past two state Finals have (X-Moe in '19, Elder-Moe in '21). There were even a couple of seasons without a GCLS rep in the Finals, in 2015 Darby defeated Beavercreek and in 2017 St Ignatius defeated Darby.

For tomorrow's matches, I'll take:
Moeller over Beavercreek in 4
Elder over Centerville in 4

Badin over Carroll in 5

Beavercreek takes game 3. So far we've got:

Beavercreek taking set 1, 28-26.
Moeller taking set 2, 25-21.
Beavercreek took set 3, 25-19.

Moeller wins the 5th 16-14. Their past three tournament games have been 5 sets and decided by 2 points. Very competitive games so far.

Props to Moeller. Elder was out coached and outplayed. Moe moved Patterson back to the middle and just like last year Elder had no answer. He impacts the game way more from the middle on defense as well. They also served conservatively at Maune whereas Elder aggressively kept giving away points with missed serves. Moe also adjusted well to Bianco hitting the 2nd ball.

Moe could have and maybe should have lost each of their last three matches. Elder was barely tested all tournament- yet Moe repeats as volleyball champs. CRAZY!

Moe simply caught Elder at the right time. Elder beats Moe 80% of the time. Elder beat Moeller the last time with Patterson in the middle so I'm not buying that was difference. Elder just had a bad match. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Moe simply caught Elder at the right time. Elder beats Moe 80% of the time. Elder beat Moeller the last time with Patterson in the middle so I'm not buying that was difference. Elder just had a bad match. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not sure what “caught at the right time means”? Elder was rested having only played 3 stress-free today and 3 yesterday. Moe had played 10 intnse back and forth games.

Moe made adjustments. Elder did not.

Not sure what “caught at the right time means”? Elder was rested having only played 3 stress-free today and 3 yesterday. Moe had played 10 intnse back and forth games.

Moe made adjustments. Elder did not.
I am not taking anything away from Moeller, congrats to them. Just not sure what adjustments Moeller made from the last match Moe played against Elder. I thought Elder simply played poorly.

I am not taking anything away from Moeller, congrats to them. Just not sure what adjustments Moeller made from the last match Moe played against Elder. I thought Elder simply played poorly.
Maybe they win 8 out of 10. Maybe they don't. Doesn't matter. Moeller is the state champ.

I think it was a combination. That was by far the best volleyball Moeller has played this tournament, but also possibly Elder’s worst game of the season. Funnily enough, I think if X, Liberty or Beavercreek score on game point and beat moeller then go up against elder, elder wins it. Funny how it all works. Absolutely crazy match to see in person.