2022 HS season

Big matches in the East. In D1, 2 Thomas Worthington sweeps 7 Darby. Set 1 was close, but 2 and 3 were more of a blowout than the scores shows. After, 6 Jerome reverse sweeps 4 PC. Pick looked tired. Their best server who had a lethal topspin started floating. Easy regular season schedule perhaps coming back to bite them.

In D2, 3 Kilbourne blows out 2 St Charles 25-15 and 25–17, and then proceed to get reverse swept and lose the 5th 16-18. 1 Desales sweeps 4 Berlin as well. Worth noting that all three sets were competitive.

Injury to Noah the setter when Walnut was up 5-9/10ish game number 1. Never really recovered and Noah didn’t play the rest of the match. Just a terrible situation for Walnut.
Heard this from a friend. Heartbreaking for that young man and team. No one ever wants to see an athlete go down with an injury. All the best to him as he recovers for when club season resumes and college ball start next year at Thomas More.

Heard this from a friend. Heartbreaking for that young man and team. No one ever wants to see an athlete go down with an injury. All the best to him as he recovers for when club season resumes and college ball start next year at Thomas More.
Very unfortunate ending for Walnut with it going down like this. Also gives a look at what Walnut will look like next year, minus the obvious development kids will make.

Injury to Noah the setter when Walnut was up 5-9/10ish game number 1. Never really recovered and Noah didn’t play the rest of the match. Just a terrible situation for Walnut.
It was 9-5, and Walnut had some major momentum after a back and forth start. I really think Walnut would have pulled it off if Smith Trondle didn’t get hurt. When Wheatley and Tombragel had decent sets they both were playing very well.
Looked like a collision under the net and those are always scary injuries in volleyball. Hope he’s ok.

Very unfortunate ending for Walnut with it going down like this. Also gives a look at what Walnut will look like next year, minus the obvious development kids will make.
To a degree, yes. The obviously need to develop a setter. They hung in for a little while after the injury but then the wheels fell off. I’d still expect Walnut to be the best public school in the south next year.

St. X outside hitter went under the net after a hit (not intentionally) and i think Walnut setter came down on his foot. unfortunate. thought Walnut had the weapons to knock off Moe as well and get to state.

Definitely an awful way to end the season for Walnut Hills.

I understand that the backup setter may not have been the greatest, but when WH's coach moved Wheatley to setter in game three, you had to know it was all but over... A move that crippled WH offense greatly.

I understand that the backup setter may not have been the greatest, but when WH's coach moved Wheatley to setter in game three, you had to know it was all but over... A move that crippled WH offense greatly.
Disappointing for Walnut. Great year for all of those kids as they are building a program that will allow for continued success.

Definitely did not understand the move of Wheatley to setter. Desperate times call for desperate measures, but that switch was a head scratcher

I have to imagine that crippled the back row defense as well. Wasn’t the third set their worst, too?

To a degree, yes. The obviously need to develop a setter. They hung in for a little while after the injury but then the wheels fell off. I’d still expect Walnut to be the best public school in the south next year.
Well, that pretty much goes without saying. Although Loveland returns some key players that could make it interesting in the public school sphere; 2nd team south region setter, HM outside and their big middle (probably about 6’8” or so). Walnut will absolutely have to figure out their setting situation because having Wheatley and/or Tombragel do it wouldn’t be great. They’ll have to find a solid replacement for Welden in the middle as well.

Yup, you effectively removed your best serve receive option, as well as, your best offensive option.
Losing 25-12 in the 2nd set required a drastic change. They would have obviously lost if they kept things the same, why not try something else?

All said, it's a moot point. Down their setter, it was over no matter what they did.

Losing 25-12 in the 2nd set required a drastic change. They would have obviously lost if they kept things the same, why not try something else?

All said, it's a moot point. Down their setter, it was over no matter what they did.
Because, like he said, the team immediately gets worse in serve receive, defense and on offense. You keep things the same, you at least have a better shot of having your two best hitters taking over with the role players on offense doing what they normally do. You move him to setter and there's one elite offensive threat instead of two and the role players have to do more than they're used to; also, the defense pretty much knows where the ball is going every time. At least with the two, you can mix it up a bit more while mixing in the middles and right side.

Maybe your backup setter who got thrown into the deep end settles into the game a bit more?

Was Wheatley a better setter than the back-up? Probably, by a little bit. Was the outside that took Wheatley's place better than Griffin? Not even remotely close

Yup, you effectively removed your best serve receive option, as well as, your best offensive option.
I'm not saying it's what I would have done, but I understand it. If Wheatley could get the ball to Tombragel they had a chance because Tombragel was tearing it up. But the passing by that point was bad as well.
I actually think Tombragel was better than Wheatley once Smith-Trondle left the game. I think the pressure may have gotten to Wheatley a bit more.
Having 4 outside hitters in that match last night who were all making plays and who are all juniors was fun to see! Meyer detonated on some balls.

Having 4 outside hitters in that match last night who were all making plays and who are all juniors was fun to see! Meyer detonated on some balls.
Would be interesting to see what would happen if Meyer, Wheatley, Tombragel, and Patterson all played for the same club. Four extremely talented players

Would be interesting to see what would happen if Meyer, Wheatley, Tombragel, and Patterson all played for the same club. Four extremely talented players
It’s a possibility. I’ve heard the Meyers aren’t big Attack fans for whatever reason; no idea why, but he’d definitely be better served to play there with these guys instead of staying at OP. Vanguard could always be an option I guess. I’ve also heard Patterson going to Attack could be a possibility, but who knows the validity of that.
Next season’s lineup could be something like:
S - Rings, Centerville
S - Tran, St. X
OH - Wheatley
OH - Meyer
Opp - Tombragel?
Opp - Patterson/Walsh
MH - Walsh/Patterson
MH - Terrell/Threm
L - Harvey (unless Samuels decided to come back then slot him here)

This would be a hell of a team and you’d be knocking guys like Lanter, Dollard, Stewart and maybe Threm or Terrell down to the Red team. Fun hypothetical

Elder in 3 to set up a rematch with Sycamore on Saturday at Princeton, 5:30 p.m. Elder won the the 1st matchup 3-1 a few weeks ago.

Anyone know if Centerville is healthy again?
Not sure. Heard they were without their starting OH (Holbrook) and starting setter (Rings). Not sure if it's injury, rest, or something else. My guess is rest especially at the setter position especially if they are going to make a run at state.

It’s a possibility. I’ve heard the Meyers aren’t big Attack fans for whatever reason; no idea why, but he’d definitely be better served to play there with these guys instead of staying at OP. Vanguard could always be an option I guess. I’ve also heard Patterson going to Attack could be a possibility, but who knows the validity of that.
Next season’s lineup could be something like:
S - Rings, Centerville
S - Tran, St. X
OH - Wheatley
OH - Meyer
Opp - Tombragel?
Opp - Patterson/Walsh
MH - Walsh/Patterson
MH - Terrell/Threm
L - Harvey (unless Samuels decided to come back then slot him here)

This would be a hell of a team and you’d be knocking guys like Lanter, Dollard, Stewart and maybe Threm or Terrell down to the Red team. Fun hypothetical
That would be a fun team to play on, coach, or just plain ol watch!

Last edited:
Something interesting to watch is that Jones from X is a sophomore who has to play up due to age. He has looked solid as a middle since coming into the lineup for the Bombers. Wonder if he stays at Vanguard for next season or not?

Club season will be interesting especially if guys decide to try and play for one club. It could be one of the better 18’s we have seen in a long time. You only need to add a few guys and it would be special. We will see.

Regional finals matchups are set! Who ya got?

South 1: #1 Elder vs. #5 Sycamore
South 2: #2 Moeller vs. #4 St. Xavier
East 1: #1 Olentangy Liberty vs. #3 Mt. Vernon
East 2: #2 Thomas Worthington vs. #6 Dublin Jerome
West 1: #1 Centerville vs. # 6 Lakota East
West 2: #2 Beavercreek vs. #3 Northmont
North 1: #1 Hudson vs. #3 St. Edward
North 2: #2 St. Ignatius vs. #7 Firestone

Regional finals matchups are set! Who ya got?

South 1: #1 Elder vs. #5 Sycamore
South 2: #2 Moeller vs. #4 St. Xavier
East 1: #1 Olentangy Liberty vs. #3 Mt. Vernon
East 2: #2 Thomas Worthington vs. #6 Dublin Jerome
West 1: #1 Centerville vs. # 6 Lakota East
West 2: #2 Beavercreek vs. #3 Northmont
North 1: #1 Hudson vs. #3 St. Edward
North 2: #2 St. Ignatius vs. #7 Firestone
I’m taking:
Elder in 3
Moeller in 4
Liberty in 3