Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Solon

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Strongsville

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cardzfan1234

Thoughts on the GCC this season? As for the players, here is my pre-season All-GCC team post

We know that last year was all about Drew Allar and a fantastic 2022 class at Medina. The Bees cruised through the league which included knocking Mentor off the top of the GCC. The Bees beat Shaker and Cleveland Heights (2023 GCC members) in the first two rounds of the playoffs. They followed that up with a win against St Ignatius (again) in the playoffs. The season came to an end against St Edward in the regional final. During the 2020 and 2021 seasons, Allar and the Bees went 4-3 against the Region 1 triumvirate of St Ignatius, St Edward, and Mentor. Without a doubt, it was by far the high point of the program. Medina started almost exclusively seniors last season. Brennen Schamm was one of the biggest surprise standouts in the state last season at receiver. His return will help make Allar's replacement a little less daunting. The Bees seniors and juniors had to bide their time, and now is their opportunity to show that the program is more than just one talented class.

After dominating the league since its formation, Mentor lost three league games last season (Medina, Solon, and Brunswick). In the case of Medina and Brunswick, it was the first loss ever to those programs. Mentor will look to get back on top behind a steady and deep senior class that features defensive end Brenan Vernon, Jacob Snow (position TBD), running back Mitchel Waite, linebacker Colin Orosz, safety Caleb Pohto, and lineman Michael McClure. All eyes might end up being on sophomore QB Scotty Fox - who is quickly rising across the 2025 recruiting rankings. Fox, a fill-in for an injured Snow last season, shined brightly when given the opportunity. He may end up being "the man" this season for the Cardinals. The receiving room doesn't have the returning talent or experience that the Cardinals are used to, but never sell that position short at Mentor.

Solon has a lot of talent returning on offense at the skill positions. QB Charlie Bubonincs, RB EJ Taylor, WR's Joel Kpassou/Brian McQuaide are among the returning impact players. I think the Comets could be a team that contends to win the league. If the defense can step up, this could be a really good team and a threat in the playoffs now that Solon is Division II for the first time since the 90's.

Brunswick relied on a lot of seniors last season, but they do have a few returning key players from last season. Strongsville will be relying on a big and talented sophomore QB, Nolan Beard. Euclid is still transitioning from the highs of the Rotsky-era. After last season's 1-9 forgettable season, I'm not expecting a whole lot of improvement.

My prediction is that Mentor will indeed win the league again. I don't think this is a "great" Mentor team by any stretch, but I think they just have more talent coming back than all of the other teams. Looking at the schedules, here are my guesses on the league records:

1. Mentor 8-1 (5-0 in the GCC)...loss to St Ignatius (bye in Week 5)
2. Solon 7-3 (4-1)...losses to Mentor, Hudson, and Stow
3. Medina 7-3, (3-2)...losses to Mentor, Solon, and Avon
4. Brunswick 3-7 (2-3)...wins against Strongsville, Euclid, and Toledo Waite
5. Strongsville 3-7 (1-4)...wins against Euclid, Brecksville, and Midview
6. Euclid 1-9 (0-5)...win against Erie (PA)

Thoughts on the GCC this season? As for the players, here is my pre-season All-GCC team post

We know that last year was all about Drew Allar and a fantastic 2022 class at Medina. The Bees cruised through the league which included knocking Mentor off the top of the GCC. The Bees beat Shaker and Cleveland Heights (2023 GCC members) in the first two rounds of the playoffs. They followed that up with a win against St Ignatius (again) in the playoffs. The season came to an end against St Edward in the regional final. During the 2020 and 2021 seasons, Allar and the Bees went 4-3 against the Region 1 triumvirate of St Ignatius, St Edward, and Mentor. Without a doubt, it was by far the high point of the program. Medina started almost exclusively seniors last season. Brennen Schamm was one of the biggest surprise standouts in the state last season at receiver. His return will help make Allar's replacement a little less daunting. The Bees seniors and juniors had to bide their time, and now is their opportunity to show that the program is more than just one talented class.

After dominating the league since its formation, Mentor lost three league games last season (Medina, Solon, and Brunswick). In the case of Medina and Brunswick, it was the first loss ever to those programs. Mentor will look to get back on top behind a steady and deep senior class that features defensive end Brenan Vernon, Jacob Snow (position TBD), running back Mitchel Waite, linebacker Colin Orosz, safety Caleb Pohto, and lineman Michael McClure. All eyes might end up being on sophomore QB Scotty Fox - who is quickly rising across the 2025 recruiting rankings. Fox, a fill-in for an injured Snow last season, shined brightly when given the opportunity. He may end up being "the man" this season for the Cardinals. The receiving room doesn't have the returning talent or experience that the Cardinals are used to, but never sell that position short at Mentor.

Solon has a lot of talent returning on offense at the skill positions. QB Charlie Bubonincs, RB EJ Taylor, WR's Joel Kpassou/Brian McQuaide are among the returning impact players. I think the Comets could be a team that contends to win the league. If the defense can step up, this could be a really good team and a threat in the playoffs now that Solon is Division II for the first time since the 90's.

Brunswick relied on a lot of seniors last season, but they do have a few returning key players from last season. Strongsville will be relying on a big and talented sophomore QB, Nolan Beard. Euclid is still transitioning from the highs of the Rotsky-era. After last season's 1-9 forgettable season, I'm not expecting a whole lot of improvement.

My prediction is that Mentor will indeed win the league again. I don't think this is a "great" Mentor team by any stretch, but I think they just have more talent coming back than all of the other teams. Looking at the schedules, here are my guesses on the league records:

1. Mentor 8-1 (5-0 in the GCC)...loss to St Ignatius (bye in Week 5)
2. Solon 7-3 (4-1)...losses to Mentor, Hudson, and Stow
3. Medina 7-3, (3-2)...losses to Mentor, Solon, and Avon
4. Brunswick 3-7 (2-3)...wins against Strongsville, Euclid, and Toledo Waite
5. Strongsville 3-7 (1-4)...wins against Euclid, Brecksville, and Midview
6. Euclid 1-9 (0-5)...win against Erie (PA)
According to Max Preps, Solon's JV and freshmen teams combined for 1 win last year. I would confidently put them behind the west side schools who will likely be battling it out with Mentor for a tight GCC Championship race.

Mentor had tons of injuries last year. At full strength, they beat Brunswick and Solon along with North Allegheny. Was just our year for that. Worst year for injuries in at least 25 years

Medina had their best senior class ever and they are all gone. I expect them to still be near the top of the league going forward but we will see if they get to the final 8 again. And if they do, we have to see if they can get past losing by 35 both times at that point

I think Mentor is the favorite but I don't think we are a contender statewide or anything. The league will be tighter this year imo

I see Mentor (barring too many KEY injuries), they are the definite favorite (IMHO).

According to Max Preps, Solon's JV and freshmen teams combined for 1 win last year. I would confidently put them behind the west side schools who will likely be battling it out with Mentor for a tight GCC Championship race.
Hmmm…that is a valid point. However, I think those are more indicative of low expectations for the 2023 and 2024 teams. Solon 2022 varsity can withstand a sophomore class that doesn't add much. They might have the most talent on offense this season in the league. But line play, defense, coaching, and depth are important factors.

Anybody know what these Westside schools are bringing back that would make them strong contenders to win the GCC? Medina and Brunswick started almost exclusively seniors last year.

Although Medina started almost all seniors the juniors still saw legitimate playing time. This year's Seniors were undefeated as freshmen.
There is talent there. Would not surprise me if the Bees defended the title. I do not agree with the assessment of Solon being competitive.
To me it is a race between a very talented Mentor team and Medina.

Although Medina started almost all seniors the juniors still saw legitimate playing time. This year's Seniors were undefeated as freshmen.
There is talent there. Would not surprise me if the Bees defended the title. I do not agree with the assessment of Solon being competitive.
To me it is a race between a very talented Mentor team and Medina.
Will Medina run the same type of offense? Do they have a Qb that can run it. Obviously they don't have an Allar, but do they have a solid passing Qb waiting in the wings?

Medina will run the same offense. A little different approach but still 5 wide. The junior QB, Dan Stoddard will be able to handle it.

Solon may go 4-6 and miss the D2R5 playoffs.
What’s your reasoning? Did they get outplayed badly in a scrimmage?

I predicted a 7-3 season for them, but I could be way off. The five most likely wins on the schedule are Shaker, Twinsburg, Euclid, Strongsville, and Brunswick. I think they win those games. Their season will be decided by how they do in those other five games, especially Hudson and Stow early in the season. Cathedral Prep (PA) is another key game for them to try and get.

What’s your reasoning? Did they get outplayed badly in a scrimmage?

I predicted a 7-3 season for them, but I could be way off. The five most likely wins on the schedule are Shaker, Twinsburg, Euclid, Strongsville, and Brunswick. I think they win those games. Their season will be decided by how they do in those other five games, especially Hudson and Stow early in the season. Cathedral Prep (PA) is another key game for them to try and get.
In D2R5, I counted at least 16 other schools that can easily go 5-5 or better (or are just better teams) just because they have a mediocre schedule. I’m counting Hudson, Stow, Brunswick, Mentor, Medina, and Cathedral Prep as losses. Brunswick beat Solon last year by multiple scores and Solon’s JV and freshmen team only had one win between them. Did Solon gain transfers?

In D2R5, I counted at least 16 other schools that can easily go 5-5 or better (or are just better teams) just because they have a mediocre schedule. I’m counting Hudson, Stow, Brunswick, Mentor, Medina, and Cathedral Prep as losses. Brunswick beat Solon last year by multiple scores and Solon’s JV and freshmen team only had one win between them. Did Solon gain transfers?
Jv and freshman team impact will be felt more next year. They brought back almost every one on offense from last year. Defense they lost a few guys but should have 6-7 starters back. The depth is the main concern. Starters should be very good, especially on offense

Last edited:
Jv and freeman team impact will be felt more next year. They brought back almost every one on offense from last year. Defense they lost a few guys but should have 6-7 starters back. The depth is the main concern. Starters should be very good, especially on offense
I've seen local reviews stating they will be competitive this year. Too bad the dice didn't roll their way between the GCC schedule and a really tough Region 5 this year before their talent takes a dip.

Well, there are plenty of computer points to be had on Solon's schedule. If they win 6 games, they should be in the top 16 for sure. I think they will get 6, maybe 7 wins. But maybe they won't. I could be looking at them through the blinders of remembering how solid the Comets always used to be. I acknowledge those days are done, but I can't help but think the returning skill players could be difference makers in winning games.

With all but one of the GCC being in Region 1, it is a safe bet that all of them will make the playoffs. Only one team in Region 1 doesn't make the playoffs. But we saw that last year, an 0-10 Euclid was that lone team. I don't expect a whole lot more from the Panthers this season. They could very well be that odd team out again. Solon, now that they are in DII, has to earn a playoff spot. I wouldn't be super confident in the Comets making an 8 team playoff in Region 5, but I feel pretty good about their chances to be in the top 16. 5-5 probably keeps them in the mix of having a good chance of getting in. Last season we saw three teams that were 4-6 that made the Region 5 playoffs.

I see Solon’s only loss in the GCC at the hands of Mentor. The three westside schools were hammered by graduation.

I've seen local reviews stating they will be competitive this year. Too bad the dice didn't roll their way between the GCC schedule and a really tough Region 5 this year before their talent takes a dip.
Painesville riverside is good but you could start 0 4.To make playoffs last year was 8.2 points.region 5 is not deep.Solon will make playoffs;and stow is not looking good.

Predictions for Week 1:

Mentor vs. McKinley
Medina vs. WGH
Solon @ Hudson
Brunswick @ Cleveland Heights
Strongsville vs. Avon Lake
Euclid vs. Aurora

The Solon/Hudson game is a coin flip. I don't know anything about Hudson except that they beat Solon last season. I don't think Brunswick, Strongsville, or Euclid have any real chance to pull an upset. Brunswick has the best chance of the three though.

Predictions for Week 1:

Mentor vs. McKinley
Medina vs. WGH
Solon @ Hudson
Brunswick @ Cleveland Heights
Euclid vs. Aurora

The Solon/Hudson game is a coin flip. I don't know anything about Hudson except that they beat Solon last season. I don't think Brunswick, Strongsville, or Euclid have any real chance to pull an upset. Brunswick has the best chance of the three though.
Hudson would probably win the gcc they are loaded.

Predictions for Week 1:

Mentor vs. McKinley
Medina vs. WGH
Solon @ Hudson
Brunswick
@ Cleveland Heights
Euclid vs. Aurora

If they are as good as you say, then quite possibly. On paper, this is the weakest the GCC has ever been.
Solon lost 14-13. Missed 2 pt conversion. Bubonics, their starting QB was out with injury (not sure how serious). Barmen struggled. With bubonics, solon easily wins that game. Don’t know if that says more about Hudson or solon though.

Solon lost 14-13. Missed 2 pt conversion. Bubonics, their starting QB was out with injury (not sure how serious). Barmen struggled. With bubonics, solon easily wins that game. Don’t know if that says more about Hudson or solon though.
Not sure maybe Hudson overrated.

You must have stopped at some of those dispensaries on 91 on your way up to Hudson. Hudson had 400 yards offense and was 2/6 in red zone. Hudson should have scored 35+ pts. Missed FGS/ mythical holding calls/ bad officiating kept It close.
Solon oline play was atrocious which probably explains why their qb is hurt.
The combined total for the 3 games ( frosh/JV/varsity) this week between the schools was
Hudson 104
Solon 26
Solons band though was much bigger.

Glad Cleveland Hts is joining next year ...Brunswick and Strongsville should be better than this
Brunswick for sure but lets see how they respond the next couple weeks. Strongsville is what it is at this point and the couple people I know who still follow the program knew this year was gonna be a major struggle.