2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Senators program? I honestly don’t know.
The guys at Taft have open gyms and keep a strangle hold on their kids. Some play for the Senators and others may play for Avondale or wherever they live. The Taft guys are not letting their youngsters get away unless it's to another CMAC school.

No $%#& they are! When you have 30 - 50 kids playing Little Panthers basketball in those grades chances are they are also the kids who will be playing at Elder some day. It's the whole point of the program!
I'm talking about the top teams in each grade. Those kids are the pipeline kids, and they are almost always 100% feeder, and most with a connection to a past player or friend of the program.

The top teams rarely change from 5th-8th, and those are the kids that make the team. Again, all true. If you don't have any or little turnover of kids from 5th - 8th grade, it's being controlled. 100%.

Kids that go to Elder end up on all different types of AAU teams (you know what I mean with the term AAU). Yet, all Westside teams never end up with different types of kids.
BECAUSE AAU IS PLAYED IN THE SUMMERTIME! THERE ARE NO WESTSIDE TEAMS THAT PLAY AAU.

I'm talking about the top teams in each grade. Those kids are the pipeline kids, and they are almost always 100% feeder, and most with a connection to a past player or friend of the program.

The top teams rarely change from 5th-8th, and those are the kids that make the team. Again, all true. If you don't have any or little turnover of kids from 5th - 8th grade, it's being controlled. 100%.
What top teams are you talking about. The 4th and 5th grade teams are the only ones that even have a team in the Athletic bracket of the SWO league. Everyone else is playing in the rec. you literally have no idea what you are talking about. Once you hit 5th grade a lot of these kids are playing 30-40 grade school games. There are tons of kids on each roster because of all the conflicts from the grade schools.

Again, I'm using AAU as a term for the other leagues these kids play in. I think you know that.
I don't understand what you are saying? In the summer Elder kids play for all different programs across the city. In the winter (little panthers doesn't play in the summer) kids stick to their local orgs. Also in the winter or the summer there are no local AAU programs.

Wow - you call me over-dramatic and then come out with the most out of touch post of all time.

A resounding YES - there are many, many, many coaches, over several generations that are out to win grade school trophies.

This is hilariously out of touch coming from a westsider, who live and die by this s**t

You're from Columbus and didn't even graduate from Elder. I'm born on the westside, went to Catholic grade school, Elder. I know a lot more people than you do. But let's believe you. I'm sure there's the occasional overzealous coach pulling plays off Madden and running scores up. The good guys outweigh the bad I know that much.

What top teams are you talking about. The 4th and 5th grade teams are the only ones that even have a team in the Athletic bracket of the SWO league. Everyone else is playing in the rec. you literally have no idea what you are talking about. Once you hit 5th grade a lot of these kids are playing 30-40 grade school games. There are tons of kids on each roster because of all the conflicts from the grade schools.
My understanding is each grade has an A team with the "best" players - and the other teams below them aren't considered as good. I've been told that by a million people. I've seen and heard enough to know you are kind of dancing around this. I may not be a westsider, but know alot of them, many of which who have kids who play on these teams. I don't think they're lying to me.

Who cares about Jr. High, Freshman, and JV wins?

I would say the kids playing the game do and the coaches do to some degree. Who cares about Varsity wins? Do you think a college recruiter does? Are you going to put your Varsity won-loss record on a job resume?

I would say the kids playing the game do and the coaches do to some degree. Who cares about Varsity wins? Do you think a college recruiter does? Are you going to put your Varsity won-loss record on a job resume?
Who cares about varsity high school wins
Just about everyone. We make a big deal when varsity coaches and programs reach certain milestones in the win category. We don't do so for the other levels, because nobody cares. A college recruiter may care if a player was responsible for those wins, or responsible for a loss (player doing something stupid or undisciplined in a situation leading to a loss can definitely have an impact on recruiting). Some people may put down that win-loss record on a resume, especially if they are going into the coaching field, want to work with kids, or possibly in the sports field in a different capacity. You may also put that record down on a resume if you have no working record, we are talking about high school kids.

We have entire TV sports and radio shows dedicated to high school varsity sports on Friday nights. We have entire websites (like this one) that almost entirely focus on varsity records.... There are additional websites with tons of traffic that ONLY focus on varsity records.... Joeeitel, Drew's Pasteur's Fantastic 50. We have internet streaming services that stream varsity games and charge money to do so..... nobody is paying for a stream of a Freshmen game. Tom Gamble created the Crosstown Showdown based entirely off of varsity wins and losses..... there's no JV Crosstown Showdown. The state playoffs only care about varsity wins and losses. Those varsity wins and losses are often talked about the most in the Elder forum, so the Elder faithful really care about those records. Coaches and ADs lose often lose their jobs over varsity records, so I'm sure they care. The community especially cares only about varsity wins and losses. When Elder has a rare down year, the stands at The Pit are pretty empty and the complaints on this website are way up. When Elder has a successful year, like this year, the stands are much fuller, and not as many people posting about how to "fix it."

Literally just about everyone cares about varsity wins and losses. I've never seen a newspaper article talking about the wonderful JV season that a certain team is having.

@JElder we're likely not going to come to an agreement on this.

I have no issue with the way they run the panther program. It's their program they can do what they wish. My issue is when you make an observation about it being very legacy and former player and their kids/friends driven, and not too open to outside talent, people go crazy, even though it's true.

Just look me in the eye and say "yeah, he played here and we asked him to coach to teach the kids the Elder system. There are some players better than his kid, but his kid is going to be on the top team, sorry". Don't play me for a fool and go through all of this song and dance. Just shoot me straight.

And when people never shoot me straight on this topic, it reassures that what I see is actually happening. But anyway, it's time to move on.

My understanding is each grade has an A team with the "best" players - and the other teams below them aren't considered as good. I've been told that by a million people. I've seen and heard enough to know you are kind of dancing around this. I may not be a westsider, but know alot of them, many of which who have kids who play on these teams. I don't think they're lying to me.
You are all over the place. I have no idea what point you are trying to make anymore.

Just about everyone. We make a big deal when varsity coaches and programs reach certain milestones in the win category. We don't do so for the other levels, because nobody cares. A college recruiter may care if a player was responsible for those wins, or responsible for a loss (player doing something stupid or undisciplined in a situation leading to a loss can definitely have an impact on recruiting). Some people may put down that win-loss record on a resume, especially if they are going into the coaching field, want to work with kids, or possibly in the sports field in a different capacity. You may also put that record down on a resume if you have no working record, we are talking about high school kids.

We have entire TV sports and radio shows dedicated to high school varsity sports on Friday nights. We have entire websites (like this one) that almost entirely focus on varsity records.... There are additional websites with tons of traffic that ONLY focus on varsity records.... Joeeitel, Drew's Pasteur's Fantastic 50. We have internet streaming services that stream varsity games and charge money to do so..... nobody is paying for a stream of a Freshmen game. Tom Gamble created the Crosstown Showdown based entirely off of varsity wins and losses..... there's no JV Crosstown Showdown. The state playoffs only care about varsity wins and losses. Those varsity wins and losses are often talked about the most in the Elder forum, so the Elder faithful really care about those records. Coaches and ADs lose often lose their jobs over varsity records, so I'm sure they care. The community especially cares only about varsity wins and losses. When Elder has a rare down year, the stands at The Pit are pretty empty and the complaints on this website are way up. When Elder has a successful year, like this year, the stands are much fuller, and not as many people posting about how to "fix it."

Literally just about everyone cares about varsity wins and losses. I've never seen a newspaper article talking about the wonderful JV season that a certain team is having.

*Edit sorry I thought I was respondingn to Trey for a minute. Ignore my last place GMC coaching record comment.
Do you put your last place GMC basketball record on your resume? But who cares about the jr high, freshman, and jv. Thanks for being a tackling dummy for the Varsity team that finished 2-8.

I've heard a colleague of mine talk about how good the Jude/vols reserve is. Who all is on that team that makes them so good at that level?
Their 5th and 6th grades are both really good and always have been. I’d be surprised if their best player, the 6th grade RB/LB doesn’t end up at Oak Hills though. I know X is already trying and hopefully Elder is as well.

@JElder we're likely not going to come to an agreement on this.

I have no issue with the way they run the panther program. It's their program they can do what they wish. My issue is when you make an observation about it being very legacy and former player and their kids/friends driven, and not too open to outside talent, people go crazy, even though it's true.

Just look me in the eye and say "yeah, he played here and we asked him to coach to teach the kids the Elder system. There are some players better than his kid, but his kid is going to be on the top team, sorry". Don't play me for a fool and go through all of this song and dance. Just shoot me straight.

And when people never shoot me straight on this topic, it reassures that what I see is actually happening. But anyway, it's time to move on.
Elder doesn't ask anyone to Coach. The Coach takes it upon themselves to start a team at the younger levels. By 7th and 8th grade there are tryouts and the top 12 or so kids are put on a team. If there are more than that they will have a 2nd team allowing kids to get better. None of these teams play in the athletic division of SWOL. Literally they are doing everything you complain about Elder not doing to accommodate anyone that wants to play. By frosh year they take upwards of 15 kids to play frosh basketball. What else that's feasible do you want them to do?

Their 5th and 6th grades are both really good and always have been. I’d be surprised if their best player, the 6th grade RB/LB doesn’t end up at Oak Hills though. I know X is already trying and hopefully Elder is as well.

I know Oak Hills is right down the street from Jude, but going to OH for football does not make much sense. Their freshman class is actually legit though. I think Specht and Ramsey barely pay attention to their freshman team much less a 6th grader. Not saying you're wrong, maybe it's other alumni talking to them.

*Edit sorry I thought I was respondingn to Trey for a minute. Ignore my last place GMC coaching record comment.
Do you put your last place GMC basketball record on your resume? But who cares about the jr high, freshman, and jv. Thanks for being a tackling dummy for the Varsity team that finished 2-8.
We didn't measure success in wins and losses on the freshman and JV teams. I know for the immature, they can't fathom that. They will even call you "not competitive" and "soft" - but in reality, we got results. We really didn't care what other people thought, and that's the mindset you need to step out of the box. We also know people that claim to "know" will continue to knock it, while unknowingly looking like buffoons when they think they're right. That's even funnier.

We didn't measure success in wins and losses on the freshman and JV teams. I know for the immature, they can't fathom that. They will even call you "not competitive" and "soft" - but in reality, we got results. We really didn't care what other people thought, and that's the mindset you need to step out of the box. We also know people that claim to "know" will continue to knock it, while unknowingly looking like buffoons when they think they're right. That's even funnier.

I know how those public schools operate. Oak Hills is pounding their chest pretty hard over an undefeated Freshman team. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Elder doesn't ask anyone to Coach.
So I could start a Panther team this year?

Funny and amazing coincidence that all of the top team coaches are former Elder players or deeply connected to the program. What are the odds???

Also funny that you say there isn't a pecking order on the teams in each grade. That's funny.

I've said my peace on this topic - I'm done.

I know how those public schools operate. Oak Hills is pounding their chest pretty hard over an undefeated Freshman team. I'm not buying what you're selling.
Huh?

I coached a long time ago, not at Oak Hills, and under a varsity head coach who used this methodology that is no longer with us.

So I could start a Panther team this year?

Funny and amazing coincidence that all of the top team coaches are former Elder players or deeply connected to the program. What are the odds???

Also funny that you say there isn't a pecking order on the teams in each grade. That's funny.

Yes, if you wanted to start a team at the younger levels you absolutely could. you could bring in any kid you wanted as well.

Once again, of course lots of former players would want to give back and start a team of their own. You act like this is a bad thing.

Kids that go to Elder end up on all different types of AAU teams (you know what I mean with the term AAU).
Of course they do. There are a lot of teams out there.
Yet, all Westside teams never end up with different types of kids.
Because those teams are filled with Westside kids. You play for the school you're likely going to attend or the school you're affiliated with. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Yeah, but usually success on the lower levels is a good harbinger for Varsity results. It’s certainly not 100% accurate Indicator, but it’s not meaningless.

So former basketball players wanted to coach and mentor the next generation of basketball players is odd?

And also, the kids of those former players are also on these top teams - as if genetics aren't a thing at all?

Have you seen Tiger Woods kid play golf? What about Griffey Sr and Griffey Jr? Vald Gurrero Jr and Sr? Maybe Bronny, LeBron's kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.