2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm waiting for the next line of D1 superstars and grade school heroes to be crowned in this thread. Please don't disappoint. It's a joke, calm down.

I'm waiting for the next line of D1 superstars and grade school heroes to be crowned in this thread. Please don't disappoint. It's a joke, calm down.

Elder has had a lot of players go on to D1 who got their start in the grade school league, Western Conference/GCYL.

Elder has had a lot of players go on to D1 who got their start in the grade school league, Western Conference/GCYL.
Agree, but it always seems to be different kids than those who think it will be based on grade school results.

Just let the kids play without crowning them in 7th grade please. It rarely plays out that way as kids develop in HS.

I don’t care about anything as long as Elder gets as much talent from the league as possible.

I don’t care about anything as long as Elder gets as much talent from the league as possible.

There are no Catholic school boundaries anymore. Every player from all over the city in this league Elder should want to go to open house or shadow.

Just giving Omar a little ribbing. I agree the Admissions professional has done a great job.

5 years ago, I thought they were in danger of a significant drop and he answered the bell. They should do whatever they need to to hold onto him. I'm also guessing the powers that be changed their stance somewhat on expanding the Catholic feeder groups, which was necessary. So kudos to them as well for being open to some change. Maybe further expansion to non-Catholic schools could be next - Omar would be happy. But I do think they can accomplish that without screwing with their mission.

That's not really relevant to this topic. Every Catholic grade school in the city should be considered a "feeder".
Completely agree - but there's likely pockets of non-Catholic schooled kids that have an interest in Elder for many reasons. No reason not to go after them in a fiscally smart way (don't bust the Marketing budget on them) as well.

Just giving Omar a little ribbing. I agree the Admissions professional has done a great job.

5 years ago, I thought they were in danger of a significant drop and he answered the bell. They should do whatever they need to to hold onto him. I'm also guessing the powers that be changed their stance somewhat on expanding the Catholic feeder groups, which was necessary. So kudos to them as well for being open to some change. Maybe further expansion to non-Catholic schools could be next - Omar would be happy. But I do think they can accomplish that without screwing with their mission.
He has definitely been superb, but Covid and Vouchers fell in his lap. Hopefully Elder can maintain that over the next decade!

The first week of the season is on the books. I didn't hear much except for the following:
-- all of the teams have big rosters, even the single parish teams
-- James has a big athletic QB and WR/TE that anchor the team plus number of other athletes but Mikes still beat them
-- SMOY/Columban is a physical team with athletes all over the field. Could be an early season favorite.
-- Visitation is a big physical team, LBs are the anchor of the team

The great part about grade school football, numbers seem to be up and more kids are playing. Correct me if I am wrong. Seems to be a lot of players on the sidelines, unless that is a result of merging all the schools.

The great part about grade school football, numbers seem to be up and more kids are playing. Correct me if I am wrong. Seems to be a lot of players on the sidelines, unless that is a result of merging all the schools.
I think there's only 5 westside programs remaining (Jude/Lourdes, Antoninus/Teresa, Visi, Ignatius, Victory/Dominic). So likely a result of consolidation - but you may be right, numbers might be up.

Hoping coaches are also developing a wide range of kids, not just the "studs".

The numbers are def up at the younger levels but I think it's more the success of UC and the Bengals than the schools merging.
The mergers have caused larger squads so much that the Reserve Leagues are now playing weekly B games. Jude/Lourdes has 35 players. Visi by their self has 28.

The mergers have caused larger squads so much that the Reserve Leagues are now playing weekly B games. Jude/Lourdes has 35 players. Visi by their self has 28.
I understand but Antoninus Teresa is still playing in the small school league due to numbers. OLV doesn't have many kids from Dominic, most of the kids are coming from OLV. Lourdes and Jude are in the same boat. At Pony Jude 4th grade has like 14 kids but still splits 3rd/4th and they play B games as well. B games are for the kids not playing during regular games. The mergers are not causing higher numbers, it's all the winning UC and the Bengals have had recently. Same way as when Elder has great seasons and makes state runs the year after numbers are always huge at the grade school level.

What's the cut-off for the large school vs. the small school? I would venture to guess OLV/Dominic has roughly the same amount of kids as Ant/Teresa, yet they're in different divisions?

Jude reserve had 40 kids that I counted last week. Surprised they didn’t have two teams with that many kids. There are a few 5th grade only teams in the league again this year that play in Division 3

Last edited:
What's the cut-off for the large school vs. the small school? I would venture to guess OLV/Dominic has roughly the same amount of kids as Ant/Teresa, yet they're in different divisions?

Not sure how that works. I do think Victory and Antoninus have similar numbers of kids on a few of the levels. Not sure how they determine why one plays in D1 and one in D2. I’m guessing they give each program the option of where they want to play…?

Jude reserve had 40 kids that I counted last week. Surprised they didn’t have two teams with that many kids. There are a few 5th grade only teams in the league again this year that play in Division 3
I wondered that as well with 3rd/4th splitting, but I assumed it was a coaching availability deal. That said, all these kids are getting to play on Saturdays as well as in the weekday games so they are all being developed. It helps when nobody has scored on you outside six points in one of the three B games and on TD after the score was frozen in a Saturday game.

I wondered that as well with 3rd/4th splitting, but I assumed it was a coaching availability deal. That said, all these kids are getting to play on Saturdays as well as in the weekday games so they are all being developed. It helps when nobody has scored on you outside six points in one of the three B games and on TD after the score was frozen in a Saturday game.

Hands down it’ll be Jude against that stupid select “A” team for Cov Cath in the Reserve finals.

Hands down it’ll be Jude against that stupid select “A” team for Cov Cath in the Reserve finals.
They seem to be on a collision course. They visit St. Jude the final week of the regular season. The Vols are in Middletown this weekend at St. Mike's and I'm guessing this will be the best team they've faced so far. So we will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.