2022 GCL Co-Ed

Where would you put Fenwick? Switch them and McNick?
McNick's dugouts are about 15 feet deep with no breathing room. But then again there is no fence in front of the dugouts at Fenwick so it forces you to pay a lot of attention to the game. Fields are interchangeable in opinion, just depends how much attention you want to pay to the game!

Fenwicks dugouts are awesome IMO, plenty of room. Badin's dugouts are huge as well, they just look small because they have half of Hamilton in their side.

go Irish and Tigers84:

Geeeez!!! you guys got a little bit of burn about Carroll, or what?!?!

No, they didn't graduate their entire team. They graduated TWO Seniors who played significantly, one who couldn't play at all due to injury, and one who got about 6 AB's. Yes, they lost one of the better players in the league in Chapman, but they are returning 6+ players who saw significant playing time.

Also, chapman pitched in 3 of their 5 playoff games, and only got to the 125 mark in one of them. They had 2 other wins from the kid who will likely be their #1 pitcher this year.

Finally, I'm guessing neither of you has been at Carroll's field in the last few years. Their dugouts are the largest, newest and nicest in the GCLC, by far. They have a locker room attached to the home dugout, as well as a press box and concession stand. Short backstop? Yes, about 13 feet. Short LF fence? Yes, it is actually 295, but who's counting. The field itself was nice, and was very well taken care of (at least it was, by the last coach; don't know about now).......I'd say Carroll's field falls behind Badin and McNick, but is overall better to play on than the rest (I'm not counting Alter's field at WSU....that's CHEATING!!)

Carroll may be last, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat out both Alter and Fenwick.

go Irish and Tigers84:

No, they didn't graduate their entire team. They graduated TWO Seniors who played significantly, one who couldn't play at all due to injury, and one who got about 6 AB's. Yes, they lost one of the better players in the league in Chapman, but they are returning 6+ players who saw significant playing time.

Also, chapman pitched in 3 of their 5 playoff games, and only got to the 125 mark in one of them. They had 2 other wins from the kid who will likely be their #1 pitcher this year.

Finally, I'm guessing neither of you has been at Carroll's field in the last few years. Their dugouts are the largest, newest and nicest in the GCLC, by far. They have a locker room attached to the home dugout, as well as a press box and concession stand. Short backstop? Yes, about 13 feet. Short LF fence? Yes, it is actually 295, but who's counting. The field itself was nice, and was very well taken care of (at least it was, by the last coach; don't know about now).......I'd say Carroll's field falls behind Badin and McNick, but is overall better to play on than the rest (I'm not counting Alter's field at WSU....that's CHEATING!!)

Carroll may be last, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat out both Alter and Fenwick.
Having been inside every GCL-S dugout the last two years, everything you just said about Carroll's is incorrect. As a whole, I'd probably put that field next to last in the league.

Philly Cat,
So you've been in every GCL-S dugout, but you've probably NOT been to Carroll's field in......how long?
I've not seen Elder, Moeller, St.X or LaSalle's fields in a number of years, since Carroll no longer has the cross over games with the Big 4....but I'm pretty sure we were talking about the GCLC, and not the GCL-S

So, disagree with you on Carroll vs other GCLC fields.
Dugouts: Carroll better than any of the GCLC.
Field: Not as good as Badin. Equal to Fenwick and McNick as far as the actual FIELD itself; not as nice as those fields as far as size and backstop/other amenities. Much better than CJ's field or Alter's (who doesn't have a field)....CJ really has no choice. It is a city field and they have no control over how it is cared for. The infield is awful. McNicks is rough due to flooding issues, or it was the last time I saw it. Maybe they've fixed that issue in the last couple of years

Philly Cat,
So you've been in every GCL-S dugout, but you've probably NOT been to Carroll's field in......how long?
I've not seen Elder, Moeller, St.X or LaSalle's fields in a number of years, since Carroll no longer has the cross over games with the Big 4....but I'm pretty sure we were talking about the GCLC, and not the GCL-S

So, disagree with you on Carroll vs other GCLC fields.
Dugouts: Carroll better than any of the GCLC.
Field: Not as good as Badin. Equal to Fenwick and McNick as far as the actual FIELD itself; not as nice as those fields as far as size and backstop/other amenities. Much better than CJ's field or Alter's (who doesn't have a field)....CJ really has no choice. It is a city field and they have no control over how it is cared for. The infield is awful. McNicks is rough due to flooding issues, or it was the last time I saw it. Maybe they've fixed that issue in the last couple of years
That was a typo, I meant to type GCL-C dugout, not south. Sorry about that.

But no, Carroll's field quality is only surpassed by CJ in how bad it is. At least CJ has the excuse of the city, as you pointed out. A 200ft left field fence, 600ft to center, and a backstop the size of a coach pitch kids field, make it pretty mediocre there. Badin, Fenwick and McNick are considerably better places to play, just sayin.

Last edited:
Philly: 290 foot fence, so a whole 30 feet shorter than most places.....not a huge difference when the Left Center gap goes up to 340 pretty quickly. 410 in center (not 600) and a very short backstop, yes. But I guess you must hate Fenway Park too because they have a non-standard field? Really?

CJ's field barely grows grass (except in the infield dirt); it is shaped like a bowl with the infield grass lower than the baselines. The dugouts are literally 50 years old.
As noted, McNick's facilities are nice, but their dugouts are TINY and the field is a swamp
Fenwick has that slope UP to centerfield and their dugouts are relatively small, dirty and flooded 1/2 the time. The infield itself is not bad.
Carroll has a really nice infield that plays well; always liked playing on that grass and the good infield dirt they had. Badin still the nicest park overall.

As for the dugouts, you ignored them, I'm guessing. You said you've been to them all, but then how can you say the newest, larges, and deepest dugouts and facilities don't hold up to the other tiny, old, rat-trap dugouts at the other fields. I think maybe you are talking a lot of smack without having actual knowledge of the situation.

Philly: 290 foot fence, so a whole 30 feet shorter than most places.....not a huge difference when the Left Center gap goes up to 340 pretty quickly. 410 in center (not 600) and a very short backstop, yes. But I guess you must hate Fenway Park too because they have a non-standard field? Really?

CJ's field barely grows grass (except in the infield dirt); it is shaped like a bowl with the infield grass lower than the baselines. The dugouts are literally 50 years old.
As noted, McNick's facilities are nice, but their dugouts are TINY and the field is a swamp
Fenwick has that slope UP to centerfield and their dugouts are relatively small, dirty and flooded 1/2 the time. The infield itself is not bad.
Carroll has a really nice infield that plays well; always liked playing on that grass and the good infield dirt they had. Badin still the nicest park overall.

As for the dugouts, you ignored them, I'm guessing. You said you've been to them all, but then how can you say the newest, larges, and deepest dugouts and facilities don't hold up to the other tiny, old, rat-trap dugouts at the other fields. I think maybe you are talking a lot of smack without having actual knowledge of the situation.
Didn't ignore the dugouts. For me, the rest of Carroll's field is low enough compared to the rest of the league that their dugouts don't make up for it. Truthfully, their dugouts aren't considerably better than the average across the league. Considering the game is actually played on the field, the quality of a field, yes even dimensions as well, holds considerably more weight than the dugout, stands, press box, etc. You ignored their infield which, in my opinion, isn't that much of a step up from CJ, and also their backstop. Those two things alone have a large impact on the game itself. Also, doesn't Carroll have exposed bullpens? Or maybe they don't, I can't remember. Can we count that as part of ranking a field?

FYI, I've never been in a flooded or dirty dugout at Fenwick, but maybe I've missed those days. Aren't their dugouts just as big as Carroll's. ??‍♂️

go Irish and Tigers84:

Having been to Carroll's field last year my opinion doesn't change... throwing cheap turf on the ground and some thin netting over the fence doesn't take it over the top. Overall not a good dugout

Did you seriously just compare Carroll's field to Fenway Park???? They may be on the same level as the Fenway Park wiffle ball field...... MAY be

Alter played their first scrimmage against defending District champion Bellbrook yesterday. They went up 14-6 in the 4th and pulled their starters to get the most likely JV swinging guys some quality reps. Ended the game 14-10. Impressive first outing for the knights as they hit the cover off the ball. Not a lot of new faces but that was expected as they graduated 2 seniors one of which didn't play.

Alter played their first scrimmage against defending District champion Bellbrook yesterday. They went up 14-6 in the 4th and pulled their starters to get the most likely JV swinging guys some quality reps. Ended the game 14-10. Impressive first outing for the knights as they hit the cover off the ball. Not a lot of new faces but that was expected as they graduated 2 seniors one of which didn't play.
Bellbrook lost to Valley View first round last year

Alter won their second scrimmage 8-0 against Waynesville last night. Waynesville threw their 1 and 2 and Alter got a runner on base in all 7 innings. Very solid fielding day. Only 1 error but that was made up when the shortstop picked it up and got the guy out trying to take an extra base. They look like a very solid team.