2022 Elder Football

E blew a TD when they had 4th and inches at the 2 with a mishandled snap. LW's quarterback missed many open guys and a couple could have went for a TD, they also had a lot of dropped balls.
Since West is ranked #1 in the city, that’s not a bad showing at all. Obviously, it’s not a definitive guideline for how the season will play out, but it’s a reason to be cautiously optimistic

My PreSeason Predictions:

The 2022 AND 2023 Ohio Division 1 State Champions: Your ELDER PANTHERS!

That’s right, you heard it here first from your trusted source. Don’t let Omar piss on our victory parade. The Panthers celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first of back to back titles in 2002 & 2003 by winning the first of two back to back titles in 2022!

That’s right, you heard it here first from your trusted source. Don’t let Omar piss on our victory parade. The Panthers celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first of back to back titles in 2002 & 2003 by winning the first of two back to back titles in 2022!
Again, it’s ironic you didn’t post that prediction in ‘19 and they were State runner up.

Also the 100th year of the school. The stars are aligning for this season.

Since West is ranked #1 in the city, that’s not a bad showing at all. Obviously, it’s not a definitive guideline for how the season will play out, but it’s a reason to be cautiously optimistic
Don’t take too much optimism nor pessimism from yesterday except for the fact that Elder can play with anyone. Both coaches are still working on their best combinations of players and both teams made mistakes that probably will be ironed out this week.

Don’t take too much optimism nor pessimism from yesterday except for the fact that Elder can play with anyone. Both coaches are still working on their best combinations of players and both teams made mistakes that probably will be ironed out this week.
I think that’s a reason for optimism. I was at the scrimmage last yr and the offense moved the ball well vs West and it was a close 1st half with the starters playing. However, it never felt like Elder could match up to West.

I was told Flowers sat out and Summers is injured. That would explain the lack of RB depth.

I would venture to guess they are treating the kids they know have a spot much like the NFL treats veterans in the pre-season. There's no reason to put them out there for a meaningless scrimmage unless they're competing for the spot.

I've heard a few reports from around the city on scrimmages, and all of them can be summed up as "vanilla"

I would venture to guess they are treating the kids they know have a spot much like the NFL treats veterans in the pre-season. There's no reason to put them out there for a meaningless scrimmage unless they're competing for the spot.

I've heard a few reports from around the city on scrimmages, and all of them can be summed up as "vanilla"
All scrimmages are vanilla. Defenses rarely blitz and Offenses run their Base install, which is maybe 15-20 plays.

It is somewhat like a preseason game, except the 1st string plays a half instead of a Quarter.

On Oct. 15, 2018, the NCAA opened the transfer portal and college sports was forever changed. In the four years since the portal opened, there has been a drastic change that can be felt across all levels of sports.

Since the portal opened, Miami has brought in 12 players from the portal, including eight during the 2022 recruiting cycle. The RedHawks are far from alone. The MAC signed 68 players out of the portal this last year led by Akron and Bowling Green, which each brought in over 10, according to the recruiting site 247Sports.

At the "Power 5" level it’s even more common. The Big Ten brought in 85 players from the portal this last year and the SEC brought in 107. And every one of those transfers is one less scholarship for a high school recruit.

In the four years before the portal opened, the Greater Catholic League South sent 84 student athletes to play college football, with 34 signing Division I letters of intent. The four years after the portal opened that number has dropped to 48 athletes, while the number of those going DI was 29.

I generally agree. It was good to see the defense do pretty well. As expected, I think LW defense got the best of the Elder offense. It was encouraging though. LW defense is about as good as it gets this year, and I think Elder did okay for the most part. I think Elder is going to be just fine at QB.

It was hard to tell without numbers. I think the offensive line was Schorsch, Weidner, Onorato, James, Bass Schorsch brings some much needed size to the line this year.

It’s interesting that the number of college kids dropped by almost half but the number of D1 kids dropped by only 15%. I would have guessed the percentages would have been similar. But I’m sure a lot of transfers are going from D1 (P5, G5, FCS, everything in between) are also transferring and dropping down to D2, D3, etc.

It's basically eliminated kids getting scholarships that take 3-4 years to develop into playing meaningful minutes. Alot of those kids never get there.

From the school's perspective, they likely feel they're getting more value from their scholarship recipients. But it sucks for those on the fence that will likely no longer get free schooling out of it. Also sucks for kids on the edge that would have probably made an impact - like a Ramsey.

Last edited:
Have to imagine that, right now, the extra Covid year is playing a big part too. You've got guys whose draft stock isn't where they want it getting an extra year to improve on that and some probably taking the extra year just to hang on to playing again. Those high school numbers will probably never get back to what they were as long as the portal stays how it is, but I have to think they'll see some growth once the Covid-eligible kids are gone.

It's basically eliminated kids getting scholarships that take 3-4 years to develop into playing meaningful minutes. Alot of those kids never get there.

From the school's perspective, they likely feel they're getting more value from their scholarship recipients. But it sucks for those on the fence that will likely no longer get free schooling out of it. Also sucks for kids on the edge that would have probably made an impact - like a Ramsey.
Realignment and NIL is also going to throw a bigger wrench into things. It’s possible in 10 yrs, you’ll just have 2 super conferences with 20 teams each and everyone else will be told to kick rocks.

Realignment and NIL is also going to throw a bigger wrench into things. It’s possible in 10 yrs, you’ll just have 2 super conferences with 20 teams each and everyone else will be told to kick rocks.
You may be right - seems like the direction this is all heading. Sounds like even Notre Dame may be getting on board.

Sorry for the rudimentary question: How do I get tix for PC game? I'm coming in town.

I think they wouldn't go on sale until the week of the game. Anyone know anything different? With this being a big game, the home opener, the 100th year celebration game, 3 of the first 4 games are on the road, and they only have 4 home games this year, will we see the first PIT sell out in a very long time?

I think they wouldn't go on sale until the week of the game. Anyone know anything different? With this being a big game, the home opener, the 100th year celebration game, 3 of the first 4 games are on the road, and they only have 4 home games this year, will we see the first PIT sell out in a very long time?
There are 5 home football games this season: PC, Louisville St. X, St. X, Chatard and La Salle.

You may be right - seems like the direction this is all heading. Sounds like even Notre Dame may be getting on board.
And then those schools on the outside have to decide if fielding a Football team is still profitable. If it is, you have to imagine the budget would be greatly reduced as would the number of scholarships.

Any chance of selling out? I'll be bringing 2 heathens with me.
I thought that part of the alumni yard sign thing included free tickets to the PC game. (Does anyone else remember reading that?) If I’m remembering correctly that could take a few thousand tickets out of the mix, but tickets shouldn’t be terribly difficult to come by. As ElderHSfan02 said there hasn’t been a sellout in quite a while.

I thought that part of the alumni yard sign thing included free tickets to the PC game. (Does anyone else remember reading that?) If I’m remembering correctly that could take a few thousand tickets out of the mix, but tickets shouldn’t be terribly difficult to come by. As ElderHSfan02 said there hasn’t been a sellout in quite a while.
Yeah that is part of the deal. An email will be sent to the address you used to get the sign. I told my uncle about the sign, and he didn't want the tickets and gave them to me. So I have 2 season tickets 2 tickets for my sign and 2 for my uncle's. So I am taking My wife, two kids, Brother-in-law and Father-in-law.