2022 Elder Football

I'll take Ramsey's opinion.
But again, the way young Ramsey was used is not the same as shuffling 2 QBs. That’s like saying the Saints played 2 QBs bc they had special packages for Taysom Hill. Drew Brees was still QB1 regardless. A team needs a QB1, rotating QBs never works.

I found it very interesting that Ramsey mentioned that 4 QBs are in the mix, which tells me the Juniors are making a legitimate push to compete for the job. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

I found it very interesting that Ramsey mentioned that 4 QBs are in the mix, which tells me the Juniors are making a legitimate push to compete for the job. I wouldn't count them out just yet.
Coachspeak IMO. It's still July, so of course the job is "open" and there are four players on the roster that will be listed as QB for now, so while everything he said was true, I'm not looking too much into it.

It seems like the southern NCAA schools are okay recruiting shorter QBs. Ohio schools for some reason won't. OSU, OU, Bowling Green, Miami(OH), UC, Toledo all seem to be ignoring the local talent.
I think Ohio State has done quite well in the QB recruiting department recently. I’d think they get a pass on this. And UC has signed multiple local kids at the position - Ridder is 1.5 hours away in Louisville, Prater is Cincy local, Lichtenburg is from Toledo.

Last edited:
Some of these kids aren’t playing. Back to the drawing board.

They seem a little thin at WR this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flowers and Summers/Meier on the field together a lot more. I imagine Ramsey's offense will have quite a few different looks with a much different personnel set than he's had the last few years.

X has only 7 JV scheduled this year as well. Moe has 9 JV scheduled. Moe had 10 JV scheduled last year, but played only 8 JV games. Playing varsity teams out of town trickles down when it comes to scheduling JV.
This is true. At most schools, the JV team is dressing a good number if not all members of the team on Friday nights. In Division 1, that may not be as true, but with the GMC and ECC going to 9-game regular season schedules, their JV games are set as well. For the GCLS and other teams that have to travel outside Cincinnati for games, you almost need to find another school that's playing an out of town school that same week in order for the JV to get games against local competition.

X has only 7 JV scheduled this year as well. Moe has 9 JV scheduled. Moe had 10 JV scheduled last year, but played only 8 JV games. Playing varsity teams out of town trickles down when it comes to scheduling JV.
Why not play X twice on the JV Level? An attempt was made but couldn’t be worked out? Has Elder reached out to East Central or lower division Ohio and KY schools for Frosh&JV Games?

They seem a little thin at WR this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flowers and Summers/Meier on the field together a lot more. I imagine Ramsey's offense will have quite a few different looks with a much different personnel set than he's had the last few years.
There’s always a Sr WR that’s never played much that steps up and has a productive year. It’s a function of Elder’s Offense.

The JV and freshman games are just as hard to schedule as Varsity.

Football is going down in numbers. Not as many people want to play. So some teams are not running a JV or Freshman team. So that might eliminate a few games.
Now on top of that taking a Freshman or JV squad over 100 miles becomes a lot more problematic then a Varsity squad.

Now let's look at Ohio. Most weeks are set up as follows Freshman on Wednesday or Thursday Night. Varsity Friday, and JV Saturday morning. So those games all take place versus the same team. In Kentucky Freshman don't always play the same schedule the varsity does. I don't know why, but they don't. So if your weeks don't line up no game.

If on Varsity you are playing a team from far away and no local team is in the same boat you don't play.

Think of if like this You can always ask the girl on the date, but if she doesn't say yes, it is not going to happen. They are looking at all the girls trying to find dates and sometimes they just don't match.

Football is going down in numbers. Not as many people want to play. So some teams are not running a JV or Freshman team. So that might eliminate a few games.
Now on top of that taking a Freshman or JV squad over 100 miles becomes a lot more problematic then a Varsity squad.

It's difficult these days for kids to play multiple sports. A lot are specializing in 1 to try to be as good as they can in that 1 sport. Football is also a huge commitment, not to mention there's no guarantee of playing time. With Elder's difficult schedule, it's not uncommon for a kid to give up half his summer, go to practice every day during the season, dress for every game, and only get in a handful of plays a season. It takes a deep love for the sport and school to endure that. Official practice for the season does not start until August 1st, but these kids have been going at it lifting/conditioning/some camp days/7v7 for a couple months already. There's several players I heard of not playing that I was surprised, but when you take the above into consideration you can't blame them for whatever reasons they have not playing.

Back to your point, you are right that football numbers are generally down for most programs. It is certainly difficult to schedule freshman and jv games for Elder and the other GCL schools.

It's difficult these days for kids to play multiple sports. A lot are specializing in 1 to try to be as good as they can in that 1 sport. Football is also a huge commitment, not to mention there's no guarantee of playing time. With Elder's difficult schedule, it's not uncommon for a kid to give up half his summer, go to practice every day during the season, dress for every game, and only get in a handful of plays a season. It takes a deep love for the sport and school to endure that. Official practice for the season does not start until August 1st, but these kids have been going at it lifting/conditioning/some camp days/7v7 for a couple months already. There's several players I heard of not playing that I was surprised, but when you take the above into consideration you can't blame them for whatever reasons they have not playing.

Back to your point, you are right that football numbers are generally down for most programs. It is certainly difficult to schedule freshman and jv games for Elder and the other GCL schools.
I've hears numbers are down in the freshman team this year? I thought the incoming class has around 200 kids? Is that accurate? Anyone have any insight on that?

I've hears numbers are down in the freshman team this year? I thought the incoming class has around 200 kids? Is that accurate? Anyone have any insight on that?
It’s a little over 200 in total. They had a ton of kids play freshmen football last yr. I forget the exact number, but I think it was over 80. As long as they don’t fall to the numbers of the class that just graduated, they’ll be fine.

66 kids. 32 trying for Wide Receiver?? 4 Quarterbacks.
66 is reasonable, I think the ‘22 class started with less than 50. Though I don’t like what 32 kids trying out for WRs says about the overall size of the players in this class. Nearly 1/2 the team isnt big enough to play on either side of the line. I don’t find that particularly funny, more concerning.

Last edited:
66 is plenty. At least 20 of those kids will probably be on the Elder Football Team for 4 yrs and never really see the field. 200+ kids is a great number though!!

66 is plenty. At least 20 of those kids will probably be on the Elder Football Team for 4 yrs and never really see the field. 200+ kids is a great number though!!
I don’t have the link, but Elder’s Admission director was named to the top 40 under 40 by the Chamber of Commerce. Elder needs to hang on to him as long as possible bc he’s killed it his first few years.

66 kids. 32 trying for Wide Receiver?? 4 Quarterbacks.
Sounds good. 66 is a good number to start with. Yea they had like 80 last year on the freshman level. Typically you can cut that number in half by the time they get to be seniors from when they start as freshman. Who are the 4 kids trying out for qb?

Sounds good. 66 is a good number to start with. Yea they had like 80 last year on the freshman level. Typically you can cut that number in half by the time they get to be seniors from when they start as freshman. Who are the 4 kids trying out for qb?
I’m guessing Emmerson from Visi is one of them.