2022 Elder Football

Maybe he doesn’t want to play RB.
He can still play LB for the majority of his reps and get a few carries a game. Elder has a good track record in recent years of playing their best athletes both ways in limited situations. Royer, Larkins, Ramsey, Flowers all provided value in their secondary roles.

Moeller's has been settled for a while now. Not so sure about the rest. GBM
The QB or the 7 v 7 schedule? If the QB, that's news to me, but I can take a guess as to who it would be. There have been rumblings of who has looked good so far, but was unaware they decided on a starter already.

Seems most schools haven't had enough competition yet to make a call. Will play out in 7 v 7s and scrimmages. I'm sure coaches are leaning a certain way this late in the game.

7 v 7 has started yes. I have not heard how Elder has looked so far.

With Elder, X, and Moeller all replacing excellent QBs this year, I would bet money that every coach as of today would say the QB competition is wide open. Lasalle QB is returning, but I believe he was replaced at one point last year. I would expect him to be back as starter this year.

Here is my guess who will start for each school.
Elder 1a Jack Reuter(senior) 1b Ben Schoster(senior)
St. Xavier Jack O'Malley(junior)
Moeller Andrew Robinson(junior)
Lasalle Mason Mattingly(senior)

It sounds like Robinson for Moeller is likely starter with Van George leaving. He was the JV starter last year, and I don't believe they have any seniors there with Van George out.

I think Reuter will be penciled in as starter, but I would expect competition to still be open and see Schoster take snaps as well. Reuter/Schoster primarily with solid backups in Brass/Schachletier. Reuter being a shorter QB fits the historical past of many Elder greats who were shorter. Schoster taller and a good passer who can see well over the line. I really think you'll see both take snaps.

A said before, Mattingly started a lot of games last year for Lasalle with not great stats. I would think he will be the leading candidate to start, but I do know they had a couple talented freshman last year who will push in camp and have chance to start if they do well. I'm thinking Mattingly wins the spot to start out at least.

Specht has said QB competition is wide open, but whoever wins the spot will be very good for them. O'Malley was the primary QB as a frosh and on JV. He is a junior who got some game reps in blowouts last year. He's got to be the leading candidate, but they have others to push for the spot too. From St. X forum, the sophomore Herbstreit(Kirk Herbstreit's son) has shot up to 6'1", still growing and looking good.

Last edited:

With Elder, X, and Moeller all replacing excellent QBs this year, I would bet money that every coach as of today would say the QB competition is wide open. Lasalle QB is returning, but I believe he was replaced at one point last year. I would expect him to be back as starter this year.

It sounds like Robinson for Moeller is likely starter with Van George leaving. He was the JV starter last year, and I don't believe they have any seniors there with Van George out.

I think Reuter will be penciled in as starter, but I would expect competition to still be open and see Schoster take snaps as well. Reuter/Schoster primarily with solid backups in Brass/Schachletier. Reuter being a shorter QB fits the historical past of many Elder greats who were shorter. Schoster taller and a good passer who can see well over the line. I really think you'll see both take snaps.

A said before, Mattingly started a lot of games last year for Lasalle with not great stats. I would think he will be the leading candidate to start, but I do know they had a couple talented freshman last year who will push in camp and have chance to start if they do well. I'm thinking Mattingly wins the spot to start out at least.

Specht has said QB competition is wide open, but whoever wins the spot will be very good for them. O'Malley was the primary QB as a frosh and on JV. He is a junior who got some game reps in blowouts last year. He's got to be the leading candidate, but they have others to push for the spot too. From St. X forum, the sophomore Herbstreit(Kirk Herbstreit's son) has shot up to 6'1", still growing and looking good.
It seems like there is always a Mattingly in the pipeline at LaSalle.

Reuter fits the Offense better with his running ability. He’s also the only QB with any actual Varsity experience.

ICYMI, former Moeller and more recently Indianapolis Roncalli head coach John Rodenburg has taken over at Indian Hill.

The new head coach at Roncalli is a first time head coach with 11 years of experience as an assistant. https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...quintana-named-new-coach-roncalli/9365615002/

Last edited:

I think this is right, but I've also heard the sophomore who played a little defense on varsity would be a good option as well if Mattingly fizzles again. Of course, I'm just speculating because Pat's son is a QB too.

I think this is right, but I've also heard the sophomore who played a little defense on varsity would be a good option as well if Mattingly fizzles again. Of course, I'm just speculating because Pat's son is a QB too.

Yes, those were the two I was thinking of getting a shot on Varsity at QB.

Has anyone else noticed Elder football does not have a twitter account? They really need a social media footprint to help get kids recruited and also attract incoming players and it does not hurt to just promote the program. They need to hire a social media coordinator whose full time job is promoting Elder on social media.

Has anyone else noticed Elder football does not have a twitter account? They really need a social media footprint to help get kids recruited and also attract incoming players and it does not hurt to just promote the program. They need to hire a social media coordinator whose full time job is promoting Elder on social media.
Good point, other Elder sports teams have their own individual account. That said, I do not believe the lack of a football Twitter account impacts how kids are recruited. In today’s world with Hudl and all of these camps, kids have more opportunities than ever before to be seen by college coaches.

As Mad Dogg pointed out, the biggest hurdle for borderline D1 prospects is all of the super srs returning bc of the covid rules. When a player returns for a 6th yr or transfers in as a Grad Student, that takes a scholarship away from a HS prospect.

Last edited:
Good point, other Elder sports teams have their own individual account. That said, I do not believe the lack of a football Twitter account impacts how kids are recruited. In today’s world with Hudl and all of these camps, kids have more opportunities than ever before to be seen by college coaches.

As Mad Dogg pointed out, the biggest hurdle for borderline D1 prospects is all of the super srs returning bc of the covid rules. When a player returns for a 6th yr or transfers in as a Grad Student, that takes a scholarship away from a HS prospect.

Recruiting is very head scratching, especially when you see 8th grade or freshman getting scholarship offers. I'm talking about 5'8" QBs for example who I guess they are hoping/projecting their final height. I think covid is overblown at this point. There are plenty of kids in Cincinnati getting D1 offers. Why Elder isn't getting them I don't know.

Recruiting is very head scratching, especially when you see 8th grade or freshman getting scholarship offers. I'm talking about 5'8" QBs for example who I guess they are hoping/projecting their final height. I think covid is overblown at this point. There are plenty of kids in Cincinnati getting D1 offers. Why Elder isn't getting them I don't know.
I’m not talking about covid itself, just the rules that gave players an extra year of eligibility. There’s more 23 & 24 year olds playing college football than ever before. Each one of them is a scholarship not used on a HS player.

As for the early offers, those are non committal. Remember Malik Verdon? He had an offer from Florida as a Freshman, but they wouldn’t have taken his commitment at that point in time.

I don't mean this as a rub, but Elder's collective strength has always been more impressive than their individual talent.

Over the years, there have been some stand-outs that went D1, but usually, they just have very good TEAMS. They do the best job of getting success out of collective talent than anyone in the city. That being said, they don't have the individual talent you see at other schools with lists of college signees.

I don't think it has anything to do with someone "not doing something" or "doing something wrong".

I don't mean this as a rub, but Elder's collective strength has always been more impressive than their individual talent.

Over the years, there have been some stand-outs that went D1, but usually, they just have very good TEAMS. They do the best job of getting success out of collective talent than anyone in the city. That being said, they don't have the individual talent you see at other schools with lists of college signees.

I don't think it has anything to do with someone "not doing something" or "doing something wrong".

Elder isn’t just a bunch of no talent tryhards, there’s kids that can play, they’re just an inch too short or a step too slow for D1.

Talented doesn’t necessarily mean D1. You could be a stud QB (Mark Miller) but bc you’re 5’10’’ instead of 6’0”, you’re not going to get D1 offers.

Elder isn’t just a bunch of no talent tryhards, there’s kids that can play, they’re just an inch too short or a step too slow for D1.

Talented doesn’t necessarily mean D1. You could be a stud QB (Mark Miller) but bc you’re 5’10’’ instead of 6’0”, you’re not going to get D1 offers.

Yet Drew Brees is only 6'0" and Russell Wilson is 5'11".

I’m not talking about covid itself, just the rules that gave players an extra year of eligibility. There’s more 23 & 24 year olds playing college football than ever before. Each one of them is a scholarship not used on a HS player.

As for the early offers, those are non committal. Remember Malik Verdon? He had an offer from Florida as a Freshman, but they wouldn’t have taken his commitment at that point in time.

I understand, but I'm seeing offers for some players and it's puzzling why some are getting them and others are not. I'm not talking 4 and 5 stars.

Mark didn't have the arm strength or athleticism (usually one or the other can do the trick) to play D1. Still had a very, very successful D2 career.

I understand, but I'm seeing offers for some players and it's puzzling why some are getting them and others are not. I'm not talking 4 and 5 stars.
It depends on a lot of different factors. Browne would probably have a few offers if he wasn’t considered a Basketball prospect. Someone like Flowers doesn’t have a well defined position and he’s not big enough to be recruited strictly as an Athlete.

Mark didn't have the arm strength or athleticism (usually one or the other can do the trick) to play D1. Still had a very, very successful D2 career.
He could’ve played in the MAC. And if we’re looking at non Elder QBs, Gus Ragland and Brogan McCaughey put up huge numbers and won state titles but they ended up at Miami and Yale.

Agree completely. Most just don't fit the D1 mold when it comes to measurables. I can guarantee you their competition respects their talent, and not simply because they try hard.

Last edited:
I think most people severely under-estimate the talent, speed, size and explosiveness needed to 1) be recruited by a D1 program, and then 2) actually get on the field. It's very, very hard and you have to be an elite athlete or a huge lineman (and sometimes that's not even enough depending on the program) - even the lineman need athleticism. And all of this was true pre-COVID. Now, you have to be elite at something in high school to even get offered.

I think alot of kids/families strive too high and get disappointed and give up, when in reality, they were likely a D2/D3 player all along. There's just simply not obvious D1 talent on Elder's roster - that's true for MOST rosters in the GCL, outside of a couple stand-outs at Moe and St X.

He could’ve played in the MAC.
I hear this often for kids "on the bubble" - "the MAC"

I can promise you this, the kids that play football, even in the MAC, are dynamite athletes - yes, even much more athletic than a very good GCL kid.

I hear this often for kids "on the bubble" - "the MAC"

I can promise you this, the kids that play football, even in the MAC, are dynamite athletes - yes, even much more athletic than a very good GCL kid.
He was being looked at by a few MAC schools. If I recall, Ohio was very interested.

He was being looked at by a few MAC schools. If I recall, Ohio was very interested.
I'm guessing that was a long time ago. The MAC has very much upgraded talent over the last 10 years - it's not nearly the same comparison. The MAC (and others) has been the landing zone for power 5 re-treads for a good decade.

Nobody is going to feel sorry for Elder. They have had plenty of D1 talent. They have had, and currently have players in the NFL. I would think less than 5% of high schools across the nation have put multiple players in the nfl. Most high schools have never produced an NFL player.

I would think they currently have 5-10 guys playing D1.